|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
2. When Maya first goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office, who does she want to talk with?
(a) The only American working there.
(b) The person who interviews local guests.
(c) The senior vice president of the company.
(d) The person who hires writers.
3. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
(a) Her son has been moved to another hospital.
(b) They desperately need volunteers.
(c) Her son is in good spirits and doing well.
(d) There is a severe staff shortage.
4. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Take them on a trip to the United States.
(b) Teach them French and English.
(c) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
(d) Walk them to and from school.
5. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
(b) Apartheid in South Africa.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
2. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
3. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
4. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
5. Who is Grace Nuamah?
Short Essay Questions
1. How successful is the march organized by the Revolutionist Returnees?
2. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
3. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
4. What important discovery does Maya make at the market in Keta?
5. What happens when Ms. Angelou goes to the office of the "Ghanaian Times" in her search for work?
6. What transpires during the meeting Maya has with her son to talk about his girlfriend?
7. While drinking schnapps at Nana Nketsia's home, what do Nana, Maya, and poet Kwesi Brew discuss?
8. What work does Maya find in Ghana?
9. After being mistreated and discriminated against by people whose skin color is the same as hers, what does Maya start to theorize?
10. What emotions surface for Maya when she passes by Cape Coast in Ghana?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)