|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maya Angelou is a world-renowned:
(a) Singer, graphic designer, and sculptor.
(b) Minister and counselor.
(c) Poet, writer, and performer.
(d) Politician and ambassador.
2. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Like a second-class citizen.
(b) Accepted and not disciminated against.
(c) Terribly homesick.
(d) It's no different than living in the United States.
3. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
(a) Get ahead in life by learning new languages.
(b) Locate her long-lost parents.
(c) Better understand the continent of her ancestry.
(d) Make more money than she could in the United States.
4. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) Apartheid in South Africa.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
(d) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
5. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
(a) It's far more advanced than American culture.
(b) It's no different than much of American culture.
(c) She feels like she fits right in.
(d) It's foreign to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Kojo's family come from Akwapim to speak with Maya?
2. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
3. To thank Maya for finding her misplaced pay envelope, what does Grace Nuamah do?
4. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
5. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maya go to Germany?
2. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
3. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
4. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
5. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
6. What changes Maya's plans, causing her to stay in Ghana indefinitely?
7. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
8. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
9. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
10. What trip does Maya take before leaving Ghana for the United States?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)