|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
(a) A woman who brings Maya a green bandanna.
(b) The festival organizer to offer Maya a different pair of shoes.
(c) Her friend Efua to urge Maya to come dance.
(d) A man who is accompanying the gentleman Maya finds attractive.
2. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
(a) Kenya's Volunteer Corps.
(b) Ghana's National Theatre.
(c) Rwanda's Red Cross.
(d) Cameroon's Art Association.
3. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
(a) He wins a national writing contest.
(b) He is mistaken for a revolutionary rebel.
(c) He is swept to sea and nearly drowns.
(d) He is seriously hurt in a car accident.
4. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
(a) Mid forties.
(b) Late seventies.
(c) Late nineties.
(d) Mid sixties.
5. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Accepted and not disciminated against.
(b) Terribly homesick.
(c) It's no different than living in the United States.
(d) Like a second-class citizen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
2. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
3. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
4. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
5. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
Short Essay Questions
1. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
2. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
3. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
4. Why does Maya go to Germany?
5. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
6. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
7. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
8. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
9. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
10. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)