|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
(a) Spanish guitars.
(b) Beating drums.
(c) Australian didgeridoos.
(d) Blaring horns.
2. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) House painting party.
(b) Outdoor potluck.
(c) Baby naming ceremony.
(d) Neighborhood campfire.
3. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
(a) It's no different than much of American culture.
(b) It's far more advanced than American culture.
(c) It's foreign to her.
(d) She feels like she fits right in.
4. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
(b) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
(c) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(d) They don't trust any foreigners.
5. Maya learns that Kojo's family are middle class:
(a) Restaurant cooks.
(d) Construction workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
2. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
3. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
4. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
5. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Americans in Ghana regarded following an assassination attempt on the nation's president?
2. What work does Maya find in Ghana?
3. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
4. While drinking schnapps at Nana Nketsia's home, what do Nana, Maya, and poet Kwesi Brew discuss?
5. Why do the Revolutionist Returnees organize a march to the American Embassy?
6. When she arrives at Ghana, what is Maya Angelou's intention?
7. What does Maya do in order to look more like Ghanaian women?
8. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
9. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
10. Describe who Kojo is.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)