|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
(a) The silliness of trying to reach the moon.
(b) The decision by whites to keep the races apart in South Africa.
(c) The futility of the Vietnam War.
(d) The reaction of blacks to treatment received in America 300 years ago.
2. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Gay rights.
(b) Immigration rights.
(c) Children's rights.
(d) Civil rights.
3. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) If she's ever been to Egypt.
(b) To marry him.
(c) To work as his translator.
(d) Why she left the United States.
4. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) Apartheid in South Africa.
(d) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
5. Who is Julian Mayfield?
(a) Maya's boss.
(b) Friend of Maya's.
(c) Maya's son's doctor.
(d) Professor of Maya's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Maya's reaction to the Senior Common Room discussion, what does the steward do?
2. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
3. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
4. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
5. After living with a friend in Accra, Maya and her son move to the:
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Malcolm X?
2. Why does Maya decide to return to the United States?
3. How successful is the march organized by the Revolutionist Returnees?
4. What is the mood during the meal when Maya and Torvash talk with Dieter and his wife?
5. How is Maya treated when she goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office and asks to speak with the person who hires writers?
6. What happens when Ms. Angelou goes to the office of the "Ghanaian Times" in her search for work?
7. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
8. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
9. Why do the Revolutionist Returnees organize a march to the American Embassy?
10. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)