|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Maya?
2. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
(c) Pearl earrings.
(d) Gold necklace.
3. Who is Julian Mayfield?
(a) Friend of Maya's.
(b) Professor of Maya's son.
(c) Maya's boss.
(d) Maya's son's doctor.
4. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
(a) Her son is in good spirits and doing well.
(b) Her son has been moved to another hospital.
(c) There is a severe staff shortage.
(d) They desperately need volunteers.
5. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) Apartheid in South Africa.
(d) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
2. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
3. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
4. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
5. How does the author feel about discrimination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe who Kojo is.
2. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
3. Describe the meeting between Guy and Maya when he picks her up from the airport.
4. What happens to Comfort, Maya's hairstylist?
5. While in Ghana, who does Malcolm X end up meeting with?
6. While drinking schnapps at Nana Nketsia's home, what do Nana, Maya, and poet Kwesi Brew discuss?
7. How is Maya treated when she goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office and asks to speak with the person who hires writers?
8. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
9. How successful is the march organized by the Revolutionist Returnees?
10. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)