|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) To work as his translator.
(b) To marry him.
(c) If she's ever been to Egypt.
(d) Why she left the United States.
2. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To write a classified ad.
(b) To find her son.
(c) To look for work.
(d) To scold a reporter.
3. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Immigration rights.
(b) Civil rights.
(c) Gay rights.
(d) Children's rights.
4. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
(a) To escape from her overprotective parents.
(b) To work on heritage preservation.
(c) To leave her abusive husband.
(d) To work with labor unions.
5. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
(c) Back room.
Short Answer Questions
1. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
2. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
3. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
4. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
5. This book recounts the author's years in:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Kojo's family visits Maya.
2. Describe Sheikhali's and Maya's first date.
3. What happens when Ms. Angelou goes to the office of the "Ghanaian Times" in her search for work?
4. What important discovery does Maya make at the market in Keta?
5. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
6. How is Maya treated by the villagers at Dunkwa?
7. Who is Sheikhali?
8. What transpires during the meeting Maya has with her son to talk about his girlfriend?
9. Explain why Efua tells Maya that Africa is falling apart.
10. While in Ghana, who does Malcolm X end up meeting with?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)