|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To help endangered species.
(b) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
(c) To find a husband.
(d) To work as a social worker.
2. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
(a) Ghana's government.
(b) Kenyan students.
(c) The U.S. President.
(d) Egyptian leaders.
3. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
(a) If she can go back to the United States.
(b) If it's because her ancestors were slaves.
(c) If she should write a letter to the editor.
(d) If she's being overly sensitive.
4. After living with a friend in Accra, Maya and her son move to the:
(a) Legassi Gardens Apartments.
(c) Crystal Hostel.
(d) Motel Six.
5. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
2. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
3. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
4. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
5. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
2. Why does Maya decide to return to the United States?
3. Who chastises Maya after she erupts in anger in the Senior Common Room?
4. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
5. When she arrives at Ghana, what is Maya Angelou's intention?
6. Describe who Kojo is.
7. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's ongoing marriage proposals?
8. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
9. Explain why Efua tells Maya that Africa is falling apart.
10. Does Maya find what she seeks in Africa?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)