|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maya's son's name?
2. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(a) Listen to musicians.
(b) Meet dignitaries.
(d) Eat crepes.
3. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(b) Institute of African Studies.
(c) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(d) Department of Engineering.
4. How does the author feel about discrimination?
(a) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(b) She understands why some choose to discriminate.
(c) She tolerates it when it's convenient.
(d) She cannot accept it in any form.
5. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To give Ghana a chance.
(b) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
(c) To move to Guinea.
(d) To move into the YMCA.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
2. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
3. When Maya and her friends talk with a couple who have just arrived from the United States, what do they tell the couple?
4. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
5. After Maya's friends Alice and Vicki tell the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife about life in Ghana, what does the man do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
2. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
3. Who accompanies Maya when she has breakfast with the German couple?
4. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
5. Who chastises Maya after she erupts in anger in the Senior Common Room?
6. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
7. How does Malcolm's encounter with Muhammad Ali go?
8. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
9. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
10. Who is Sheikhali?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)