|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(b) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
(c) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
(d) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
2. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
(a) Political discussion groups.
(b) Local actors.
(c) Foreign exchange students.
(d) Christian study groups.
3. How does Maya regard T.D. Bafoo and his wife?
(a) With anger.
(b) With respect.
(c) With distrust.
(d) With uncertainty.
4. When Maya is invited into T.D. Bafoo's office, what does she expect will happen?
(a) She will be fired.
(b) She will receive a raise.
(c) She will be offered a job.
(d) She will be reprimanded.
5. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) Outdoor potluck.
(b) Neighborhood campfire.
(c) Baby naming ceremony.
(d) House painting party.
Short Answer Questions
1. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
2. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
3. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
4. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
5. After Maya's friends Alice and Vicki tell the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife about life in Ghana, what does the man do?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being mistreated and discriminated against by people whose skin color is the same as hers, what does Maya start to theorize?
2. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
3. While in Ghana, who does Malcolm X end up meeting with?
4. After her time in Germany comes to an end, where does Maya travel to?
5. Describe who Kojo is.
6. Describe Sheikhali's and Maya's first date.
7. Why does Maya go to Germany?
8. How are the Americans in Ghana regarded following an assassination attempt on the nation's president?
9. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
10. How does Maya react to Kojo's request?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)