|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Maya and her friends talk with a couple who have just arrived from the United States, what do they tell the couple?
(a) Ghanaian cuisine is the best food they've ever had.
(b) Life in Ghana is easy.
(c) The food in Ghana is terrible.
(d) Life in Ghana is hard.
2. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To find her son.
(b) To look for work.
(c) To write a classified ad.
(d) To scold a reporter.
3. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
(a) Honorary degree.
(b) A Job.
(d) Rare book.
4. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(b) Institute of African Studies.
(c) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(d) Department of Engineering.
5. Maya learns that Kojo's family are middle class:
(a) Restaurant cooks.
(b) Construction workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
2. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
3. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
4. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
5. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
2. What happens to Comfort, Maya's hairstylist?
3. Why does Maya decide to return to the United States?
4. What work does Maya find in Ghana?
5. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
6. What emotions surface for Maya when she passes by Cape Coast in Ghana?
7. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
8. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
9. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
10. Why does Sheikhali believe that he is doing Maya a favor by offering to marry her?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)