|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) She should not be upset.
(b) His car broke down.
(c) She has every reason to be upset.
(d) He overslept.
2. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
(a) Hope and Kobina.
(b) Patience and Kwame.
(c) Mercy and Kayne.
(d) Grace and Kante.
3. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
(a) A candlelight peace vigil outside Maya's house.
(b) A television party at Nana Nketsia's home to watch the march.
(c) Their own march to the American Embassy.
(d) A 24-hour prayer vigil to help protect Martin Luther King.
4. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
(a) Silver cane.
(b) Glass eye.
(c) Wooden leg.
(d) Gold pocket watch.
5. When Maya confronts her son about his girlfriend, what does he say?
(a) He's always liked older women.
(b) He's a man and can make his own decisions.
(c) Maya would like the girlfriend if they met.
(d) He sees nothing wrong with dating someone so young.
6. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
(b) She is infinitely smarter than him.
(c) She reads too many books.
(d) She is book smart.
7. When Dieter asks Maya to buy artwork for him in Ghana, she:
(a) Says she'll think about it.
(b) Laughs sarcastically.
8. Why does Sheikhali speak to Maya through Mamali?
(a) To more accurately express his emotions.
(b) Maya's phone message has angered him.
(c) He is embarassed to speak directly because he's so late.
(d) Mamali is fluent in English.
9. How does Maya respond to Sheikhali's final marriage request?
(a) She says she already has a husband.
(b) She says she'll think about it.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She refuses.
10. Maya Angelou accompanies Malcolm X to the airport after his meeting with:
(a) The university's chancellor.
(b) Ghana's president.
(c) The American ambassador.
(d) Ghana's star soccer player.
11. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(b) He believes dancing is undignified.
(c) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
(d) It is against his religious upbringing.
12. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
(a) He laughs loudly.
(b) He shakes his head and grows silent.
(c) He chastises her.
(d) He says he understands.
13. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
(a) She is given many chores to do to pay for her meals.
(b) The villagers stare at her with open, unabashed curiosity.
(c) The villagers are wary of her and keep their distance.
(d) She is welcomed warmly and shown much hospitality.
14. What does Maya do when Sheikhali is more than two hours late for a date?
(a) Calls Sheikhali and leaves him an angry message.
(b) Goes to a local hotel for dinner.
(c) Visits her son at the university.
(d) Makes herself a sandwich and watches television.
15. Maya and her group of American friends arrange for Malcolm X to meet with:
(a) High officials within Ghana's government.
(b) Ghana's highest achieving sports stars.
(c) The best-known professor of Ghana's history.
(d) The author of "Ghana and America: An Alliance."
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maya and Torvash find themselves alone at Dieter's house, what does Torvash say about their host?
2. In Ghana, who does Malcolm X ride with to the airport?
3. When it's Dieter's turn to share a story with Maya and her guest, he tells a somewhat vulgar story about:
4. After Malcolm is whisked away at the airport, how do Maya and her friends feel?
5. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)