|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
(a) She's excited.
(b) She's disappointed.
(c) With confusion.
(d) With silence.
2. The public figure who leaves the Accra hotel at the same time as Malcolm X ends up:
(a) Embracing him warmly.
(b) Chastising him.
(c) Falling and getting a concussion.
(d) Tripping over a suitcase.
3. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
4. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
(b) They have breakfast together.
(c) The couple calls her later in the week.
(d) They read her book of poetry.
5. What does Maya do when Sheikhali is more than two hours late for a date?
(a) Goes to a local hotel for dinner.
(b) Visits her son at the university.
(c) Calls Sheikhali and leaves him an angry message.
(d) Makes herself a sandwich and watches television.
6. Who is Malcolm X?
(a) Sports figure.
(b) Civil Rights leader.
(c) Official U.S. ambassador.
(d) Professor of African-American history.
7. As Maya sets out to prepare for her job interview for a position at a diamond mine, what does she realize?
(a) She may not be qualified because her education stopped at high school.
(b) She really does not want to relocate to another city.
(c) Her translation skills are lacking.
(d) She hasn't updated her resume in 14 years.
8. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) She is infinitely smarter than him.
(b) She reads too many books.
(c) She is book smart.
(d) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
9. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
(c) Religious tolerance.
(d) The gender divide.
10. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) It is against his religious upbringing.
(b) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(c) He believes dancing is undignified.
(d) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
11. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
(a) Glass eye.
(b) Gold pocket watch.
(c) Silver cane.
(d) Wooden leg.
12. When it's Dieter's turn to share a story with Maya and her guest, he tells a somewhat vulgar story about:
(a) Angels and demons.
(b) Peace and war.
(c) Friends and enemies.
(d) Men and women.
13. Maya Angelou accompanies Malcolm X to the airport after his meeting with:
(a) Ghana's president.
(b) The university's chancellor.
(c) The American ambassador.
(d) Ghana's star soccer player.
14. When Maya confronts her son about his girlfriend, what does he say?
(a) He's a man and can make his own decisions.
(b) He's always liked older women.
(c) He sees nothing wrong with dating someone so young.
(d) Maya would like the girlfriend if they met.
15. At Dieter's house, everyone is embarrassed when Dieter's mother starts to:
(a) Snore loudly.
(b) Sing patriotic songs.
(c) Flirt with Torvash.
(d) Yell loudly at Torvash.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
2. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
3. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
4. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
5. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)