|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
(a) Nana and his children.
(b) Maya and her roommates.
(c) Guy and his college friends.
(d) Sheikhali and his assistants.
2. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) One of her American friends from the play.
(b) Her son Guy.
(c) Her dance coach.
(d) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
3. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
(a) American ambassador who has a crush on her.
(b) Ghanaian dignitary on vacation.
(c) Italian poet who admires her.
(d) Israeli actor on tour.
4. Why does Sheikhali speak to Maya through Mamali?
(a) To more accurately express his emotions.
(b) He is embarassed to speak directly because he's so late.
(c) Maya's phone message has angered him.
(d) Mamali is fluent in English.
5. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
(a) Bridging the gap between Africa and America.
(b) Doing her a favor.
(c) Being very honorable.
(d) Revealing his deep love and devotion.
6. At Dieter's house, everyone is embarrassed when Dieter's mother starts to:
(a) Yell loudly at Torvash.
(b) Sing patriotic songs.
(c) Flirt with Torvash.
(d) Snore loudly.
7. What public figure is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time that Malcolm X is leaving?
(a) George Foreman.
(b) James Earl Jones.
(c) Muhammad Ali.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
8. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
(a) He believes no blacks can ever trust whites.
(b) He now has some white friends.
(c) He feels all whites are corrupt.
(d) He now sees he has misunderstood whites.
9. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
(b) They have breakfast together.
(c) They read her book of poetry.
(d) The couple calls her later in the week.
10. Who is Mamali?
(a) Sheikhali's assistant.
(b) Efua's friend.
(c) Maya's mentor.
(d) Guy's professor.
11. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(a) Mattering more than before.
(c) Being ridiculed.
(d) Being tested.
12. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
(a) Shirley had refused Maya's attempts to arrange a meeting between her and Malcolm.
(b) Shirley spoke very poorly about Malcolm and the Revolutionist Returnees.
(c) Shirley did not let Maya speak to Malcolm at the press party.
(d) Shirley stopped Maya from delivering a letter to Malcolm.
13. Why is Dieter upset after Torvash tells his story?
(a) He has a glass eye.
(b) He had lost his treasured pocket watch.
(c) He feels Torvash is making fun of his wooden leg.
(d) He doesn't like it when people mention his cane.
14. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) He overslept.
(b) She should not be upset.
(c) His car broke down.
(d) She has every reason to be upset.
15. As Maya sets out to prepare for her job interview for a position at a diamond mine, what does she realize?
(a) She really does not want to relocate to another city.
(b) Her translation skills are lacking.
(c) She may not be qualified because her education stopped at high school.
(d) She hasn't updated her resume in 14 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who listens to Malcolm X when he visits Accra while Maya lives there?
2. Maya Angelou accompanies Malcolm X to the airport after his meeting with:
3. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
4. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
5. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)