|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Accra, Malcolm X speaks of his falling out with:
(a) Muhammad Ali.
(b) Martin Luther King.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Elijah Muhammad.
2. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(b) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
(c) He believes dancing is undignified.
(d) It is against his religious upbringing.
3. At Dieter's house, everyone is embarrassed when Dieter's mother starts to:
(a) Sing patriotic songs.
(b) Yell loudly at Torvash.
(c) Flirt with Torvash.
(d) Snore loudly.
4. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
(a) Peter and the Wolf.
(b) Little Red Hen.
(c) Brer Rabbit.
(d) Three Little Pigs.
5. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
6. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
(a) To see other parts of Africa.
(b) To get away from Sheikhali.
(c) To clear her head.
(d) To try new foods.
7. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
(a) Grace and Kante.
(b) Patience and Kwame.
(c) Hope and Kobina.
(d) Mercy and Kayne.
8. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
(a) He walks away.
(b) He tells her to mind her own business.
(c) He knocks over a chair.
(d) He hugs her and tells her to cut it out.
9. How does Maya respond to Sheikhali's final marriage request?
(a) She says she'll think about it.
(b) She says she already has a husband.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She refuses.
10. Why does Maya suggest that everyone tell a story at Dieter's house?
(a) So everyone could get to know each other better.
(b) She likes Torvash and doesn't want the visit to end.
(c) She has a fantastic story to share.
(d) To keep a close eye on Dieter.
11. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
(a) He now sees he has misunderstood whites.
(b) He now has some white friends.
(c) He believes no blacks can ever trust whites.
(d) He feels all whites are corrupt.
12. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
(a) All of them.
(b) James Earl Jones.
(c) Cecily Tyson.
(d) Louis Gosset Jr.
13. When Maya and Torvash find themselves alone at Dieter's house, what does Torvash say about their host?
(a) He's old and senile.
(b) He's probably a Nazi.
(c) They're old friends.
(d) He's a spy.
14. How does Maya feel after helping to deliver a written protest to the first secretary of the embassy?
15. When friends ask Maya to sing for the visiting Liberian president, how does she react?
(a) Reluctantly agrees.
(b) Nearly faints with disbelief.
(c) Jumps up and down with glee.
(d) Grows silent and pensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
2. As Maya sets out to prepare for her job interview for a position at a diamond mine, what does she realize?
3. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
4. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
5. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)