|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(a) A movie.
(c) A play.
2. At Dieter's house, everyone is embarrassed when Dieter's mother starts to:
(a) Yell loudly at Torvash.
(b) Sing patriotic songs.
(c) Flirt with Torvash.
(d) Snore loudly.
3. Who is Malcolm X?
(a) Official U.S. ambassador.
(b) Professor of African-American history.
(c) Civil Rights leader.
(d) Sports figure.
4. Upon his request, what does Maya sing to the Liberian president?
(a) Amazing Grace.
(b) How Great Thou Art.
(c) Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.
(d) Nearer, My God, To Thee.
5. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(b) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
(c) To escort her to his home.
(d) To ask questions about a crime.
6. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
(a) Little Red Hen.
(b) Peter and the Wolf.
(c) Three Little Pigs.
(d) Brer Rabbit.
7. In Accra, Malcolm X speaks of his falling out with:
(a) Martin Luther King.
(b) Elijah Muhammad.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Muhammad Ali.
8. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
(a) Being very honorable.
(b) Bridging the gap between Africa and America.
(c) Doing her a favor.
(d) Revealing his deep love and devotion.
9. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
(a) Cecily Tyson.
(b) All of them.
(c) James Earl Jones.
(d) Louis Gosset Jr.
10. How does Maya respond to Sheikhali's final marriage request?
(a) She says she already has a husband.
(b) She says she'll think about it.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She refuses.
11. After Malcolm is whisked away at the airport, how do Maya and her friends feel?
12. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) She has every reason to be upset.
(b) His car broke down.
(c) She should not be upset.
(d) He overslept.
13. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
(a) Their own march to the American Embassy.
(b) A television party at Nana Nketsia's home to watch the march.
(c) A candlelight peace vigil outside Maya's house.
(d) A 24-hour prayer vigil to help protect Martin Luther King.
14. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
(b) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(c) He believes dancing is undignified.
(d) It is against his religious upbringing.
15. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(a) Being ridiculed.
(c) Mattering more than before.
(d) Being tested.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
2. Who listens to Malcolm X when he visits Accra while Maya lives there?
3. Maya Angelou accompanies Malcolm X to the airport after his meeting with:
4. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
5. What does Malcolm X say when he notices that Maya is upset?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)