|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dieter upset after Torvash tells his story?
(a) He has a glass eye.
(b) He had lost his treasured pocket watch.
(c) He doesn't like it when people mention his cane.
(d) He feels Torvash is making fun of his wooden leg.
2. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) One of her American friends from the play.
(b) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
(c) Her dance coach.
(d) Her son Guy.
3. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
(a) Mercy and Kayne.
(b) Patience and Kwame.
(c) Hope and Kobina.
(d) Grace and Kante.
4. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
(a) If she would recite a prayer at the church ceremony.
(b) If she would spy on her neighbors.
(c) If she would be willing to write a poem for the president.
(d) If she would like another job with twice the pay.
5. The public figure who leaves the Accra hotel at the same time as Malcolm X ends up:
(a) Tripping over a suitcase.
(b) Embracing him warmly.
(c) Chastising him.
(d) Falling and getting a concussion.
6. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
7. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
(a) He hugs her and tells her to cut it out.
(b) He walks away.
(c) He tells her to mind her own business.
(d) He knocks over a chair.
8. What is the time difference between Washington DC and Ghana?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) One hour.
9. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
(a) Shirley spoke very poorly about Malcolm and the Revolutionist Returnees.
(b) Shirley did not let Maya speak to Malcolm at the press party.
(c) Shirley had refused Maya's attempts to arrange a meeting between her and Malcolm.
(d) Shirley stopped Maya from delivering a letter to Malcolm.
10. Why does Malcolm X approach the public figure who is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time he is?
(a) To argue with him.
(b) To express his admiration.
(c) To ask for his support.
(d) To get his autograph.
11. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(b) Being ridiculed.
(c) Being tested.
(d) Mattering more than before.
12. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
(a) Sheikhali and his assistants.
(b) Nana and his children.
(c) Maya and her roommates.
(d) Guy and his college friends.
13. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) She has every reason to be upset.
(b) His car broke down.
(c) He overslept.
(d) She should not be upset.
14. Maya is concerned about her son because she hears that his girlfriend is:
(b) A married woman.
(c) Older than she is.
(d) The president's sister.
15. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
(a) Ghanaian dignitary on vacation.
(b) Israeli actor on tour.
(c) Italian poet who admires her.
(d) American ambassador who has a crush on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm X say when he notices that Maya is upset?
2. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
3. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
4. When Dieter asks Maya to buy artwork for him in Ghana, she:
5. Who is Nana Nketsia?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)