|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
(a) Bridging the gap between Africa and America.
(b) Being very honorable.
(c) Doing her a favor.
(d) Revealing his deep love and devotion.
2. Why is Dieter upset after Torvash tells his story?
(a) He doesn't like it when people mention his cane.
(b) He had lost his treasured pocket watch.
(c) He feels Torvash is making fun of his wooden leg.
(d) He has a glass eye.
3. The public figure who leaves the Accra hotel at the same time as Malcolm X ends up:
(a) Tripping over a suitcase.
(b) Chastising him.
(c) Embracing him warmly.
(d) Falling and getting a concussion.
4. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
(b) They have breakfast together.
(c) The couple calls her later in the week.
(d) They read her book of poetry.
5. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
6. Upon his request, what does Maya sing to the Liberian president?
(a) How Great Thou Art.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.
(d) Nearer, My God, To Thee.
7. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
(a) To try new foods.
(b) To see other parts of Africa.
(c) To clear her head.
(d) To get away from Sheikhali.
8. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(a) Mattering more than before.
(b) Being ridiculed.
(c) Being tested.
9. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
(b) To ask questions about a crime.
(c) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(d) To escort her to his home.
10. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) She is book smart.
(b) She reads too many books.
(c) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
(d) She is infinitely smarter than him.
11. What offer does Maya receive that would take her to Germany and Venice?
(a) To do a speaking tour.
(b) To write about a play.
(c) To tour Europe with an ambassador.
(d) To take part in a play.
12. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
(a) Louis Gosset Jr.
(b) James Earl Jones.
(c) Cecily Tyson.
(d) All of them.
13. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
(a) Brer Rabbit.
(b) Peter and the Wolf.
(c) Three Little Pigs.
(d) Little Red Hen.
14. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
(a) Sheikhali and his assistants.
(b) Guy and his college friends.
(c) Nana and his children.
(d) Maya and her roommates.
15. What does Malcolm X say when he notices that Maya is upset?
(a) Asks if she's sad because he has to leave.
(b) Tells her she should be happy.
(c) Asks why she's upset.
(d) Tells her she has no reason to feel sorry for herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
2. What does Malcolm X say when asked why he came to Ghana?
3. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
4. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
5. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)