|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
(a) She is given many chores to do to pay for her meals.
(b) The villagers stare at her with open, unabashed curiosity.
(c) She is welcomed warmly and shown much hospitality.
(d) The villagers are wary of her and keep their distance.
2. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
3. Who is Mamali?
(a) Efua's friend.
(b) Guy's professor.
(c) Sheikhali's assistant.
(d) Maya's mentor.
4. Why does Malcolm X plan to go before the General Assembly of the United Nations?
(a) To ask for an international children's olympics event.
(b) To request the release of political prisoners in Cuba.
(c) To deliver his World Treatise for Civil Rights.
(d) To present his case for black Americans.
5. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
(c) Religious tolerance.
(d) The gender divide.
6. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
(a) Nana and his children.
(b) Maya and her roommates.
(c) Guy and his college friends.
(d) Sheikhali and his assistants.
7. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
(b) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(c) It is against his religious upbringing.
(d) He believes dancing is undignified.
8. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(a) Being ridiculed.
(b) Mattering more than before.
(d) Being tested.
9. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
(a) Book Maya is editing.
(b) Song Maya is learning.
(c) Play Maya is in.
(d) Poem Maya is writing.
10. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
(a) Their own march to the American Embassy.
(b) A candlelight peace vigil outside Maya's house.
(c) A 24-hour prayer vigil to help protect Martin Luther King.
(d) A television party at Nana Nketsia's home to watch the march.
11. When Maya confronts her son about his girlfriend, what does he say?
(a) He's a man and can make his own decisions.
(b) He's always liked older women.
(c) Maya would like the girlfriend if they met.
(d) He sees nothing wrong with dating someone so young.
12. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
(a) American ambassador who has a crush on her.
(b) Ghanaian dignitary on vacation.
(c) Israeli actor on tour.
(d) Italian poet who admires her.
13. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
14. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
(a) To see other parts of Africa.
(b) To clear her head.
(c) To try new foods.
(d) To get away from Sheikhali.
15. What offer does Maya receive that would take her to Germany and Venice?
(a) To write about a play.
(b) To take part in a play.
(c) To do a speaking tour.
(d) To tour Europe with an ambassador.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
2. The public figure who leaves the Accra hotel at the same time as Malcolm X ends up:
3. What is Dunkwa?
4. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
5. In Accra, Malcolm X speaks of his falling out with:
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)