|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
(b) He believes dancing is undignified.
(c) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(d) It is against his religious upbringing.
2. How long does the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees to support MLK's march take place?
(a) All afternoon and into early evening.
(b) All night and through the morning and early afternoon.
(c) Three days.
(d) Half an hour.
3. Why does Sheikhali speak to Maya through Mamali?
(a) He is embarassed to speak directly because he's so late.
(b) To more accurately express his emotions.
(c) Mamali is fluent in English.
(d) Maya's phone message has angered him.
4. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They have breakfast together.
(b) They read her book of poetry.
(c) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
(d) The couple calls her later in the week.
5. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
(a) Louis Gosset Jr.
(b) James Earl Jones.
(c) Cecily Tyson.
(d) All of them.
6. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(b) A play.
(d) A movie.
7. In Accra, Malcolm X speaks of his falling out with:
(a) Muhammad Ali.
(b) Martin Luther King.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Elijah Muhammad.
8. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
(a) A 24-hour prayer vigil to help protect Martin Luther King.
(b) Their own march to the American Embassy.
(c) A television party at Nana Nketsia's home to watch the march.
(d) A candlelight peace vigil outside Maya's house.
9. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
(a) The Women's Rights Movement.
(b) The Civil Rights Movement.
(c) Professional sports.
(d) Organized religion.
10. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(a) Mattering more than before.
(c) Being tested.
(d) Being ridiculed.
11. Why does Malcolm X approach the public figure who is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time he is?
(a) To ask for his support.
(b) To get his autograph.
(c) To express his admiration.
(d) To argue with him.
12. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
(a) Doing her a favor.
(b) Bridging the gap between Africa and America.
(c) Revealing his deep love and devotion.
(d) Being very honorable.
13. In Ghana, who does Malcolm X ride with to the airport?
(a) The French ambassador.
(b) The Cuban ambassador and Maya Angelou.
(c) Maya Angelou and Julian Mayfield.
(d) Nana Nketsia and Maya's friend Alice.
14. Why does Maya suggest that everyone tell a story at Dieter's house?
(a) She has a fantastic story to share.
(b) So everyone could get to know each other better.
(c) To keep a close eye on Dieter.
(d) She likes Torvash and doesn't want the visit to end.
15. What does Maya do when Sheikhali is more than two hours late for a date?
(a) Goes to a local hotel for dinner.
(b) Visits her son at the university.
(c) Makes herself a sandwich and watches television.
(d) Calls Sheikhali and leaves him an angry message.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
2. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
3. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
4. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
5. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)