|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
(a) He now has some white friends.
(b) He now sees he has misunderstood whites.
(c) He feels all whites are corrupt.
(d) He believes no blacks can ever trust whites.
2. When Maya takes a trip into the bush and meets with a tribal leader, where does the man think Maya is from?
3. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
(a) Being very honorable.
(b) Bridging the gap between Africa and America.
(c) Revealing his deep love and devotion.
(d) Doing her a favor.
4. When friends ask Maya to sing for the visiting Liberian president, how does she react?
(a) Nearly faints with disbelief.
(b) Grows silent and pensive.
(c) Jumps up and down with glee.
(d) Reluctantly agrees.
5. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
6. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(b) To ask questions about a crime.
(c) To escort her to his home.
(d) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
7. What does Malcolm X say when asked why he came to Ghana?
(a) To meet with renowned university professors.
(b) To play soccer with Ghana's top team.
(c) To gather support from governments.
(d) To conduct further research in African studies.
8. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
(a) Grace and Kante.
(b) Hope and Kobina.
(c) Mercy and Kayne.
(d) Patience and Kwame.
9. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
(a) To try new foods.
(b) To clear her head.
(c) To get away from Sheikhali.
(d) To see other parts of Africa.
10. How long does the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees to support MLK's march take place?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) All afternoon and into early evening.
(c) Three days.
(d) All night and through the morning and early afternoon.
11. What is Dunkwa?
(a) A regional dialect.
(b) Small village Maya visits.
(c) Maya's name in Fanti.
(d) Traditional rice and vegetable dish.
12. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They have breakfast together.
(b) They read her book of poetry.
(c) The couple calls her later in the week.
(d) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
13. Maya and her group of American friends arrange for Malcolm X to meet with:
(a) The best-known professor of Ghana's history.
(b) The author of "Ghana and America: An Alliance."
(c) High officials within Ghana's government.
(d) Ghana's highest achieving sports stars.
14. What does Malcolm X say when he notices that Maya is upset?
(a) Tells her she has no reason to feel sorry for herself.
(b) Asks if she's sad because he has to leave.
(c) Asks why she's upset.
(d) Tells her she should be happy.
15. Why is Dieter upset after Torvash tells his story?
(a) He has a glass eye.
(b) He doesn't like it when people mention his cane.
(c) He had lost his treasured pocket watch.
(d) He feels Torvash is making fun of his wooden leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
2. Why does Malcolm X plan to go before the General Assembly of the United Nations?
3. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
4. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
5. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)