|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
(a) He knocks over a chair.
(b) He hugs her and tells her to cut it out.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He tells her to mind her own business.
2. In Ghana, who does Malcolm X ride with to the airport?
(a) Maya Angelou and Julian Mayfield.
(b) The Cuban ambassador and Maya Angelou.
(c) The French ambassador.
(d) Nana Nketsia and Maya's friend Alice.
3. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(b) A play.
(c) A movie.
4. Who is Malcolm X?
(a) Official U.S. ambassador.
(b) Civil Rights leader.
(c) Professor of African-American history.
(d) Sports figure.
5. What is the time difference between Washington DC and Ghana?
(a) Twelve hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Seven hours.
(d) One hour.
6. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
(b) The gender divide.
(d) Religious tolerance.
7. When Maya takes a trip into the bush and meets with a tribal leader, where does the man think Maya is from?
8. How does Malcolm X respond when a university student asks how he can represent blacks when his skin is so light?
(a) Laughs and says that he lives and fights as a black man.
(b) Explains that he stands up for the oppressed everywhere.
(c) Dismisses the question and moves on to another topic.
(d) Cuts his talk short and leaves in anger.
9. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
(a) Book Maya is editing.
(b) Song Maya is learning.
(c) Poem Maya is writing.
(d) Play Maya is in.
10. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) She reads too many books.
(b) She is book smart.
(c) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
(d) She is infinitely smarter than him.
11. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
12. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) Her son Guy.
(b) One of her American friends from the play.
(c) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
(d) Her dance coach.
13. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(b) To ask questions about a crime.
(c) To escort her to his home.
(d) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
14. Why does Malcolm X approach the public figure who is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time he is?
(a) To argue with him.
(b) To get his autograph.
(c) To ask for his support.
(d) To express his admiration.
15. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
(a) He says he understands.
(b) He shakes his head and grows silent.
(c) He chastises her.
(d) He laughs loudly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
2. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
3. How does Maya respond to Sheikhali's final marriage request?
4. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
5. As Maya sets out to prepare for her job interview for a position at a diamond mine, what does she realize?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)