|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(b) Being ridiculed.
(c) Being tested.
(d) Mattering more than before.
2. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
(b) The gender divide.
(d) Religious tolerance.
3. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
(a) Nana and his children.
(b) Sheikhali and his assistants.
(c) Guy and his college friends.
(d) Maya and her roommates.
4. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
(a) She's disappointed.
(b) She's excited.
(c) With silence.
(d) With confusion.
5. Maya is concerned about her son because she hears that his girlfriend is:
(a) Older than she is.
(b) A married woman.
(d) The president's sister.
6. Who is Mamali?
(a) Guy's professor.
(b) Maya's mentor.
(c) Efua's friend.
(d) Sheikhali's assistant.
7. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
(a) American ambassador who has a crush on her.
(b) Italian poet who admires her.
(c) Israeli actor on tour.
(d) Ghanaian dignitary on vacation.
8. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
(a) Shirley had refused Maya's attempts to arrange a meeting between her and Malcolm.
(b) Shirley spoke very poorly about Malcolm and the Revolutionist Returnees.
(c) Shirley did not let Maya speak to Malcolm at the press party.
(d) Shirley stopped Maya from delivering a letter to Malcolm.
9. Maya Angelou accompanies Malcolm X to the airport after his meeting with:
(a) Ghana's president.
(b) The American ambassador.
(c) The university's chancellor.
(d) Ghana's star soccer player.
10. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
(b) They have breakfast together.
(c) They read her book of poetry.
(d) The couple calls her later in the week.
11. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To escort her to his home.
(b) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
(c) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(d) To ask questions about a crime.
12. When friends ask Maya to sing for the visiting Liberian president, how does she react?
(a) Grows silent and pensive.
(b) Reluctantly agrees.
(c) Jumps up and down with glee.
(d) Nearly faints with disbelief.
13. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
(a) Hope and Kobina.
(b) Grace and Kante.
(c) Mercy and Kayne.
(d) Patience and Kwame.
14. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
(a) She is welcomed warmly and shown much hospitality.
(b) The villagers are wary of her and keep their distance.
(c) The villagers stare at her with open, unabashed curiosity.
(d) She is given many chores to do to pay for her meals.
15. Why does Malcolm X approach the public figure who is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time he is?
(a) To get his autograph.
(b) To ask for his support.
(c) To express his admiration.
(d) To argue with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
2. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
3. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
4. When Maya and Torvash find themselves alone at Dieter's house, what does Torvash say about their host?
5. After Malcolm is whisked away at the airport, how do Maya and her friends feel?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)