|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
(a) To get away from Sheikhali.
(b) To see other parts of Africa.
(c) To clear her head.
(d) To try new foods.
2. Maya and her group of American friends arrange for Malcolm X to meet with:
(a) The best-known professor of Ghana's history.
(b) Ghana's highest achieving sports stars.
(c) The author of "Ghana and America: An Alliance."
(d) High officials within Ghana's government.
3. How does Maya respond to Sheikhali's final marriage request?
(a) She says she already has a husband.
(b) She says she'll think about it.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She refuses.
4. Upon his request, what does Maya sing to the Liberian president?
(a) Amazing Grace.
(b) How Great Thou Art.
(c) Nearer, My God, To Thee.
(d) Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.
5. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) Her son Guy.
(b) One of her American friends from the play.
(c) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
(d) Her dance coach.
6. How does Maya feel after helping to deliver a written protest to the first secretary of the embassy?
7. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) She is infinitely smarter than him.
(b) She is book smart.
(c) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
(d) She reads too many books.
8. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(b) It is against his religious upbringing.
(c) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
(d) He believes dancing is undignified.
9. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
(a) Italian poet who admires her.
(b) American ambassador who has a crush on her.
(c) Israeli actor on tour.
(d) Ghanaian dignitary on vacation.
10. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
(a) He shakes his head and grows silent.
(b) He chastises her.
(c) He says he understands.
(d) He laughs loudly.
11. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
(a) Doing her a favor.
(b) Being very honorable.
(c) Bridging the gap between Africa and America.
(d) Revealing his deep love and devotion.
12. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
(a) He walks away.
(b) He tells her to mind her own business.
(c) He hugs her and tells her to cut it out.
(d) He knocks over a chair.
13. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
(a) Glass eye.
(b) Wooden leg.
(c) Gold pocket watch.
(d) Silver cane.
14. Maya Angelou accompanies Malcolm X to the airport after his meeting with:
(a) The university's chancellor.
(b) The American ambassador.
(c) Ghana's president.
(d) Ghana's star soccer player.
15. What is Dunkwa?
(a) Small village Maya visits.
(b) Traditional rice and vegetable dish.
(c) A regional dialect.
(d) Maya's name in Fanti.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
2. Who is Mamali?
3. When Maya brings her guest with her to the home of the German couple, how does the host react?
4. Why does Sheikhali speak to Maya through Mamali?
5. Why is Dieter upset after Torvash tells his story?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)