|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Maya confronts her son about his girlfriend, what does he say?
(a) He's always liked older women.
(b) He sees nothing wrong with dating someone so young.
(c) Maya would like the girlfriend if they met.
(d) He's a man and can make his own decisions.
2. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
(a) The villagers are wary of her and keep their distance.
(b) The villagers stare at her with open, unabashed curiosity.
(c) She is given many chores to do to pay for her meals.
(d) She is welcomed warmly and shown much hospitality.
3. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
(a) The gender divide.
(c) Religious tolerance.
4. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) She is infinitely smarter than him.
(b) She is book smart.
(c) She reads too many books.
(d) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
5. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
(a) She's excited.
(b) With confusion.
(c) She's disappointed.
(d) With silence.
6. In Ghana, who does Malcolm X ride with to the airport?
(a) The Cuban ambassador and Maya Angelou.
(b) Nana Nketsia and Maya's friend Alice.
(c) The French ambassador.
(d) Maya Angelou and Julian Mayfield.
7. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
(a) A television party at Nana Nketsia's home to watch the march.
(b) A 24-hour prayer vigil to help protect Martin Luther King.
(c) A candlelight peace vigil outside Maya's house.
(d) Their own march to the American Embassy.
8. How long does the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees to support MLK's march take place?
(a) All afternoon and into early evening.
(b) All night and through the morning and early afternoon.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) Three days.
9. When Maya and Torvash find themselves alone at Dieter's house, what does Torvash say about their host?
(a) He's a spy.
(b) They're old friends.
(c) He's old and senile.
(d) He's probably a Nazi.
10. Why does Malcolm X approach the public figure who is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time he is?
(a) To get his autograph.
(b) To express his admiration.
(c) To ask for his support.
(d) To argue with him.
11. What does Maya do when Sheikhali is more than two hours late for a date?
(a) Visits her son at the university.
(b) Calls Sheikhali and leaves him an angry message.
(c) Makes herself a sandwich and watches television.
(d) Goes to a local hotel for dinner.
12. Who is Malcolm X?
(a) Professor of African-American history.
(b) Official U.S. ambassador.
(c) Civil Rights leader.
(d) Sports figure.
13. When Maya brings her guest with her to the home of the German couple, how does the host react?
(a) Somewhat surprised.
(b) He's pleased and welcomes the two warmly.
(c) With contempt.
(d) With complete indifference.
14. Why does Sheikhali speak to Maya through Mamali?
(a) Maya's phone message has angered him.
(b) To more accurately express his emotions.
(c) Mamali is fluent in English.
(d) He is embarassed to speak directly because he's so late.
15. In Accra, Malcolm X speaks of his falling out with:
(a) Martin Luther King.
(b) Elijah Muhammad.
(c) Muhammad Ali.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
2. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
3. Why does Maya suggest that everyone tell a story at Dieter's house?
4. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
5. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)