|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
(a) If she would recite a prayer at the church ceremony.
(b) If she would be willing to write a poem for the president.
(c) If she would like another job with twice the pay.
(d) If she would spy on her neighbors.
2. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
(a) Ghanaian dignitary on vacation.
(b) American ambassador who has a crush on her.
(c) Italian poet who admires her.
(d) Israeli actor on tour.
3. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) Her dance coach.
(b) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
(c) Her son Guy.
(d) One of her American friends from the play.
4. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
5. Who is Mamali?
(a) Guy's professor.
(b) Sheikhali's assistant.
(c) Maya's mentor.
(d) Efua's friend.
6. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(b) Mattering more than before.
(c) Being ridiculed.
(d) Being tested.
7. What does Maya do when Sheikhali is more than two hours late for a date?
(a) Goes to a local hotel for dinner.
(b) Visits her son at the university.
(c) Makes herself a sandwich and watches television.
(d) Calls Sheikhali and leaves him an angry message.
8. What public figure is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time that Malcolm X is leaving?
(a) Muhammad Ali.
(b) George Foreman.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) James Earl Jones.
9. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
(b) They read her book of poetry.
(c) The couple calls her later in the week.
(d) They have breakfast together.
10. When Dieter asks Maya to buy artwork for him in Ghana, she:
(b) Says she'll think about it.
(c) Laughs sarcastically.
11. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
(a) To get away from Sheikhali.
(b) To see other parts of Africa.
(c) To clear her head.
(d) To try new foods.
12. When it's Dieter's turn to share a story with Maya and her guest, he tells a somewhat vulgar story about:
(a) Men and women.
(b) Friends and enemies.
(c) Angels and demons.
(d) Peace and war.
13. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(c) A movie.
(d) A play.
14. Who is Malcolm X?
(a) Official U.S. ambassador.
(b) Civil Rights leader.
(c) Sports figure.
(d) Professor of African-American history.
15. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
(a) Hope and Kobina.
(b) Grace and Kante.
(c) Mercy and Kayne.
(d) Patience and Kwame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya and her group of American friends arrange for Malcolm X to meet with:
2. How does Malcolm X respond when a university student asks how he can represent blacks when his skin is so light?
3. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
4. After Maya's disagreement with Guy regarding his girlfriend, she realizes that she must:
5. Why does Malcolm X plan to go before the General Assembly of the United Nations?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)