|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
(a) With silence.
(b) With confusion.
(c) She's disappointed.
(d) She's excited.
2. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(a) A movie.
(b) A play.
3. What is Dunkwa?
(a) Traditional rice and vegetable dish.
(b) Small village Maya visits.
(c) Maya's name in Fanti.
(d) A regional dialect.
4. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
(a) Shirley did not let Maya speak to Malcolm at the press party.
(b) Shirley stopped Maya from delivering a letter to Malcolm.
(c) Shirley spoke very poorly about Malcolm and the Revolutionist Returnees.
(d) Shirley had refused Maya's attempts to arrange a meeting between her and Malcolm.
5. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
(a) Organized religion.
(b) The Civil Rights Movement.
(c) Professional sports.
(d) The Women's Rights Movement.
6. In Ghana, who does Malcolm X ride with to the airport?
(a) The Cuban ambassador and Maya Angelou.
(b) The French ambassador.
(c) Nana Nketsia and Maya's friend Alice.
(d) Maya Angelou and Julian Mayfield.
7. Why does Maya suggest that everyone tell a story at Dieter's house?
(a) She likes Torvash and doesn't want the visit to end.
(b) She has a fantastic story to share.
(c) So everyone could get to know each other better.
(d) To keep a close eye on Dieter.
8. When Maya and Torvash find themselves alone at Dieter's house, what does Torvash say about their host?
(a) He's old and senile.
(b) He's a spy.
(c) They're old friends.
(d) He's probably a Nazi.
9. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
(b) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(c) To ask questions about a crime.
(d) To escort her to his home.
10. The public figure who leaves the Accra hotel at the same time as Malcolm X ends up:
(a) Embracing him warmly.
(b) Falling and getting a concussion.
(c) Chastising him.
(d) Tripping over a suitcase.
11. What offer does Maya receive that would take her to Germany and Venice?
(a) To take part in a play.
(b) To write about a play.
(c) To do a speaking tour.
(d) To tour Europe with an ambassador.
12. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
(a) All of them.
(b) Louis Gosset Jr.
(c) Cecily Tyson.
(d) James Earl Jones.
13. When Maya takes a trip into the bush and meets with a tribal leader, where does the man think Maya is from?
14. What does Malcolm X say when asked why he came to Ghana?
(a) To gather support from governments.
(b) To meet with renowned university professors.
(c) To play soccer with Ghana's top team.
(d) To conduct further research in African studies.
15. Who is Nana Nketsia?
(a) Adviser to the president.
(b) Star of Ghana's top soap opera.
(c) Leader of Ghana's Anglican Church.
(d) Chief of police.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
2. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
3. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
4. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
5. At Dieter's house, everyone is embarrassed when Dieter's mother starts to:
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)