|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Malcolm X respond when a university student asks how he can represent blacks when his skin is so light?
(a) Dismisses the question and moves on to another topic.
(b) Cuts his talk short and leaves in anger.
(c) Laughs and says that he lives and fights as a black man.
(d) Explains that he stands up for the oppressed everywhere.
2. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
(a) He believes no blacks can ever trust whites.
(b) He now sees he has misunderstood whites.
(c) He now has some white friends.
(d) He feels all whites are corrupt.
3. After Maya's disagreement with Guy regarding his girlfriend, she realizes that she must:
(a) Talk to the girlfriend.
(b) Give him space.
(c) Give him an ultimatum.
(d) Use reverse psychology.
4. What does Maya do when Sheikhali is more than two hours late for a date?
(a) Goes to a local hotel for dinner.
(b) Visits her son at the university.
(c) Makes herself a sandwich and watches television.
(d) Calls Sheikhali and leaves him an angry message.
5. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
(a) Professional sports.
(b) Organized religion.
(c) The Civil Rights Movement.
(d) The Women's Rights Movement.
6. Who is Nana Nketsia?
(a) Star of Ghana's top soap opera.
(b) Leader of Ghana's Anglican Church.
(c) Chief of police.
(d) Adviser to the president.
7. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
(a) Shirley spoke very poorly about Malcolm and the Revolutionist Returnees.
(b) Shirley stopped Maya from delivering a letter to Malcolm.
(c) Shirley had refused Maya's attempts to arrange a meeting between her and Malcolm.
(d) Shirley did not let Maya speak to Malcolm at the press party.
8. Maya and her group of American friends arrange for Malcolm X to meet with:
(a) Ghana's highest achieving sports stars.
(b) The author of "Ghana and America: An Alliance."
(c) High officials within Ghana's government.
(d) The best-known professor of Ghana's history.
9. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
(a) Silver cane.
(b) Gold pocket watch.
(c) Glass eye.
(d) Wooden leg.
10. When friends ask Maya to sing for the visiting Liberian president, how does she react?
(a) Jumps up and down with glee.
(b) Nearly faints with disbelief.
(c) Reluctantly agrees.
(d) Grows silent and pensive.
11. Maya is concerned about her son because she hears that his girlfriend is:
(a) Older than she is.
(c) The president's sister.
(d) A married woman.
12. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
(a) He hugs her and tells her to cut it out.
(b) He knocks over a chair.
(c) He tells her to mind her own business.
(d) He walks away.
13. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) She has every reason to be upset.
(b) She should not be upset.
(c) He overslept.
(d) His car broke down.
14. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(a) A play.
(b) A movie.
15. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) Her dance coach.
(b) One of her American friends from the play.
(c) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
(d) Her son Guy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees in Ghana to be held during Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
2. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
3. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
4. Maya Angelou accompanies Malcolm X to the airport after his meeting with:
5. Upon his request, what does Maya sing to the Liberian president?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)