|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
(a) Peter and the Wolf.
(b) Brer Rabbit.
(c) Little Red Hen.
(d) Three Little Pigs.
2. Maya is concerned about her son because she hears that his girlfriend is:
(a) The president's sister.
(b) A married woman.
(c) Older than she is.
3. In Accra, Malcolm X speaks of his falling out with:
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Martin Luther King.
(c) Elijah Muhammad.
(d) Muhammad Ali.
4. Why does Malcolm X plan to go before the General Assembly of the United Nations?
(a) To present his case for black Americans.
(b) To request the release of political prisoners in Cuba.
(c) To ask for an international children's olympics event.
(d) To deliver his World Treatise for Civil Rights.
5. After Malcolm is whisked away at the airport, how do Maya and her friends feel?
6. Maya and her group of American friends arrange for Malcolm X to meet with:
(a) High officials within Ghana's government.
(b) The best-known professor of Ghana's history.
(c) Ghana's highest achieving sports stars.
(d) The author of "Ghana and America: An Alliance."
7. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
8. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
(a) He dances only with his wife, and she is not present.
(b) It is against his religious upbringing.
(c) He believes dancing is undignified.
(d) He cannot celebrate when fellow African-Americans are suffering.
9. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
(a) She's disappointed.
(b) With silence.
(c) With confusion.
(d) She's excited.
10. Who is Mamali?
(a) Guy's professor.
(b) Sheikhali's assistant.
(c) Efua's friend.
(d) Maya's mentor.
11. How does Malcolm X respond when a university student asks how he can represent blacks when his skin is so light?
(a) Dismisses the question and moves on to another topic.
(b) Laughs and says that he lives and fights as a black man.
(c) Explains that he stands up for the oppressed everywhere.
(d) Cuts his talk short and leaves in anger.
12. When Maya brings her guest with her to the home of the German couple, how does the host react?
(a) With contempt.
(b) He's pleased and welcomes the two warmly.
(c) Somewhat surprised.
(d) With complete indifference.
13. What are the names of the newlyweds Maya stays with while visiting a small African village?
(a) Grace and Kante.
(b) Mercy and Kayne.
(c) Hope and Kobina.
(d) Patience and Kwame.
14. Who is Nana Nketsia?
(a) Chief of police.
(b) Leader of Ghana's Anglican Church.
(c) Adviser to the president.
(d) Star of Ghana's top soap opera.
15. At Dieter's house, everyone is embarrassed when Dieter's mother starts to:
(a) Yell loudly at Torvash.
(b) Flirt with Torvash.
(c) Snore loudly.
(d) Sing patriotic songs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
2. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
3. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
4. Why does Maya suggest that everyone tell a story at Dieter's house?
5. What is Dunkwa?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)