|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
(a) If she would like another job with twice the pay.
(b) If she would be willing to write a poem for the president.
(c) If she would recite a prayer at the church ceremony.
(d) If she would spy on her neighbors.
2. How does Maya correct one of Nana Nketsia's daughters?
(a) She gently corrects her usage of past and present tenses.
(b) She asks the girl to call her "Mrs." instead of "Lady."
(c) She asks the girl to refer to her by her last name, not her first.
(d) She gently corrects her English pronunciation.
3. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) One of her American friends from the play.
(b) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
(c) Her son Guy.
(d) Her dance coach.
4. What public figure is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time that Malcolm X is leaving?
(a) George Foreman.
(b) James Earl Jones.
(c) Muhammad Ali.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
5. As Maya sets out to prepare for her job interview for a position at a diamond mine, what does she realize?
(a) She really does not want to relocate to another city.
(b) Her translation skills are lacking.
(c) She hasn't updated her resume in 14 years.
(d) She may not be qualified because her education stopped at high school.
6. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
(a) He says he understands.
(b) He shakes his head and grows silent.
(c) He laughs loudly.
(d) He chastises her.
7. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
(a) A 24-hour prayer vigil to help protect Martin Luther King.
(b) Their own march to the American Embassy.
(c) A television party at Nana Nketsia's home to watch the march.
(d) A candlelight peace vigil outside Maya's house.
8. When Maya and Torvash find themselves alone at Dieter's house, what does Torvash say about their host?
(a) He's old and senile.
(b) He's a spy.
(c) He's probably a Nazi.
(d) They're old friends.
9. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
(a) All of them.
(b) Louis Gosset Jr.
(c) James Earl Jones.
(d) Cecily Tyson.
10. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
(a) Ghanaian dignitary on vacation.
(b) American ambassador who has a crush on her.
(c) Israeli actor on tour.
(d) Italian poet who admires her.
11. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(a) A movie.
(c) A play.
12. At Dieter's house, everyone is embarrassed when Dieter's mother starts to:
(a) Yell loudly at Torvash.
(b) Sing patriotic songs.
(c) Snore loudly.
(d) Flirt with Torvash.
13. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
(a) She is welcomed warmly and shown much hospitality.
(b) The villagers stare at her with open, unabashed curiosity.
(c) The villagers are wary of her and keep their distance.
(d) She is given many chores to do to pay for her meals.
14. How does Maya feel after helping to deliver a written protest to the first secretary of the embassy?
15. Who listens to Malcolm X when he visits Accra while Maya lives there?
Short Answer Questions
1. The public figure who leaves the Accra hotel at the same time as Malcolm X ends up:
2. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
3. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
4. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
5. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)