|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maya is concerned about her son because she hears that his girlfriend is:
(b) The president's sister.
(c) A married woman.
(d) Older than she is.
2. Why is Maya happy that a tribal leader mistook her national identity?
(a) Americans are regarded poorly in the region.
(b) She likes being mistaken for a native African.
(c) His error means she wins a bet with a colleague.
(d) It shows her she's an adept actress.
3. After Malcolm is whisked away at the airport, how do Maya and her friends feel?
4. What offer does Maya receive that would take her to Germany and Venice?
(a) To tour Europe with an ambassador.
(b) To take part in a play.
(c) To write about a play.
(d) To do a speaking tour.
5. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
(a) Nana and his children.
(b) Guy and his college friends.
(c) Maya and her roommates.
(d) Sheikhali and his assistants.
6. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
(a) The captain of Ghana's national soccer team.
(b) Ambassadors from several countries, including China and Cuba.
(c) The president of the university.
(d) The publisher of Accra's biggest newspaper.
7. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(a) A play.
(b) A movie.
8. After Maya's disagreement with Guy regarding his girlfriend, she realizes that she must:
(a) Give him space.
(b) Give him an ultimatum.
(c) Talk to the girlfriend.
(d) Use reverse psychology.
9. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
(a) Peter and the Wolf.
(b) Three Little Pigs.
(c) Brer Rabbit.
(d) Little Red Hen.
10. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) She is infinitely smarter than him.
(b) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
(c) She reads too many books.
(d) She is book smart.
11. What does Malcolm X say when he notices that Maya is upset?
(a) Asks if she's sad because he has to leave.
(b) Tells her she has no reason to feel sorry for herself.
(c) Asks why she's upset.
(d) Tells her she should be happy.
12. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
13. Who is Malcolm X?
(a) Sports figure.
(b) Civil Rights leader.
(c) Official U.S. ambassador.
(d) Professor of African-American history.
14. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
(a) They go to a nightclub later that evening.
(b) They read her book of poetry.
(c) The couple calls her later in the week.
(d) They have breakfast together.
15. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) She has every reason to be upset.
(b) He overslept.
(c) His car broke down.
(d) She should not be upset.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maya and Torvash find themselves alone at Dieter's house, what does Torvash say about their host?
2. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
3. How long does the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees to support MLK's march take place?
4. Why does Maya suggest that everyone tell a story at Dieter's house?
5. How does Maya correct one of Nana Nketsia's daughters?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)