|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Maya brings her guest with her to the home of the German couple, how does the host react?
(a) Somewhat surprised.
(b) With complete indifference.
(c) With contempt.
(d) He's pleased and welcomes the two warmly.
2. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
(a) Little Red Hen.
(b) Three Little Pigs.
(c) Peter and the Wolf.
(d) Brer Rabbit.
3. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
(a) A candlelight peace vigil outside Maya's house.
(b) Their own march to the American Embassy.
(c) A television party at Nana Nketsia's home to watch the march.
(d) A 24-hour prayer vigil to help protect Martin Luther King.
4. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
5. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(b) Being tested.
(c) Being ridiculed.
(d) Mattering more than before.
6. After Malcolm is whisked away at the airport, how do Maya and her friends feel?
7. What public figure is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time that Malcolm X is leaving?
(a) George Foreman.
(b) James Earl Jones.
(c) Muhammad Ali.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
8. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) She should not be upset.
(b) She has every reason to be upset.
(c) He overslept.
(d) His car broke down.
9. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(a) A play.
(c) A movie.
10. Why does Malcolm X plan to go before the General Assembly of the United Nations?
(a) To deliver his World Treatise for Civil Rights.
(b) To request the release of political prisoners in Cuba.
(c) To ask for an international children's olympics event.
(d) To present his case for black Americans.
11. Upon his request, what does Maya sing to the Liberian president?
(a) Amazing Grace.
(b) Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.
(c) How Great Thou Art.
(d) Nearer, My God, To Thee.
12. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
(a) Shirley spoke very poorly about Malcolm and the Revolutionist Returnees.
(b) Shirley stopped Maya from delivering a letter to Malcolm.
(c) Shirley had refused Maya's attempts to arrange a meeting between her and Malcolm.
(d) Shirley did not let Maya speak to Malcolm at the press party.
13. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
(a) He tells her to mind her own business.
(b) He knocks over a chair.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He hugs her and tells her to cut it out.
14. Why is Dieter upset after Torvash tells his story?
(a) He doesn't like it when people mention his cane.
(b) He has a glass eye.
(c) He feels Torvash is making fun of his wooden leg.
(d) He had lost his treasured pocket watch.
15. What does Malcolm X say when asked why he came to Ghana?
(a) To play soccer with Ghana's top team.
(b) To meet with renowned university professors.
(c) To gather support from governments.
(d) To conduct further research in African studies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees to support MLK's march take place?
2. How does Maya respond to Sheikhali's final marriage request?
3. When Dieter asks Maya to buy artwork for him in Ghana, she:
4. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
5. As Maya sets out to prepare for her job interview for a position at a diamond mine, what does she realize?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)