|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
2. Why is Maya happy that a tribal leader mistook her national identity?
(a) She likes being mistaken for a native African.
(b) Americans are regarded poorly in the region.
(c) His error means she wins a bet with a colleague.
(d) It shows her she's an adept actress.
3. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) Her dance coach.
(b) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
(c) One of her American friends from the play.
(d) Her son Guy.
4. Who is Mamali?
(a) Maya's mentor.
(b) Guy's professor.
(c) Efua's friend.
(d) Sheikhali's assistant.
5. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
(a) He believes no blacks can ever trust whites.
(b) He feels all whites are corrupt.
(c) He now sees he has misunderstood whites.
(d) He now has some white friends.
6. When Maya confronts her son about his girlfriend, what does he say?
(a) He's a man and can make his own decisions.
(b) He sees nothing wrong with dating someone so young.
(c) Maya would like the girlfriend if they met.
(d) He's always liked older women.
7. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
(a) Song Maya is learning.
(b) Play Maya is in.
(c) Book Maya is editing.
(d) Poem Maya is writing.
8. What offer does Maya receive that would take her to Germany and Venice?
(a) To take part in a play.
(b) To write about a play.
(c) To do a speaking tour.
(d) To tour Europe with an ambassador.
9. Why does Sheikhali speak to Maya through Mamali?
(a) To more accurately express his emotions.
(b) He is embarassed to speak directly because he's so late.
(c) Maya's phone message has angered him.
(d) Mamali is fluent in English.
10. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
(a) The villagers stare at her with open, unabashed curiosity.
(b) The villagers are wary of her and keep their distance.
(c) She is welcomed warmly and shown much hospitality.
(d) She is given many chores to do to pay for her meals.
11. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
(a) A play.
(b) A movie.
12. When Maya takes a trip into the bush and meets with a tribal leader, where does the man think Maya is from?
13. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
(a) Little Red Hen.
(b) Peter and the Wolf.
(c) Brer Rabbit.
(d) Three Little Pigs.
14. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
(b) To ask questions about a crime.
(c) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(d) To escort her to his home.
15. What public figure is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time that Malcolm X is leaving?
(a) James Earl Jones.
(b) Sidney Poitier.
(c) George Foreman.
(d) Muhammad Ali.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Malcolm is whisked away at the airport, how do Maya and her friends feel?
2. Upon his request, what does Maya sing to the Liberian president?
3. How does Malcolm X respond when a university student asks how he can represent blacks when his skin is so light?
4. Who is Nana Nketsia?
5. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)