|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
(a) He is in tremendous awe of her vast wealth of knowledge.
(b) She reads too many books.
(c) She is book smart.
(d) She is infinitely smarter than him.
2. When the German couple tells Maya she can bring whomever she wants as a guest, who does Maya choose?
(a) Her dance coach.
(b) Her son Guy.
(c) One of her American friends from the play.
(d) A black Jew she sees sitting at the bar.
3. What does Malcolm X say when he notices that Maya is upset?
(a) Asks why she's upset.
(b) Tells her she has no reason to feel sorry for herself.
(c) Asks if she's sad because he has to leave.
(d) Tells her she should be happy.
4. What is Dunkwa?
(a) A regional dialect.
(b) Traditional rice and vegetable dish.
(c) Small village Maya visits.
(d) Maya's name in Fanti.
5. Maya and her group of American friends arrange for Malcolm X to meet with:
(a) The best-known professor of Ghana's history.
(b) High officials within Ghana's government.
(c) The author of "Ghana and America: An Alliance."
(d) Ghana's highest achieving sports stars.
6. What is the time difference between Washington DC and Ghana?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) One hour.
7. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
(a) Professional sports.
(b) The Women's Rights Movement.
(c) Organized religion.
(d) The Civil Rights Movement.
8. Sheikhali says that by offering to marry Maya, he is:
(a) Revealing his deep love and devotion.
(b) Being very honorable.
(c) Bridging the gap between Africa and America.
(d) Doing her a favor.
9. Why does Nana Nketsia go to Maya's house?
(a) To escort her to his home.
(b) To invite her to a church ceremony.
(c) To ask her to attend a writer's conference.
(d) To ask questions about a crime.
10. Who is Nana Nketsia?
(a) Chief of police.
(b) Adviser to the president.
(c) Leader of Ghana's Anglican Church.
(d) Star of Ghana's top soap opera.
11. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
(a) He believes no blacks can ever trust whites.
(b) He now has some white friends.
(c) He feels all whites are corrupt.
(d) He now sees he has misunderstood whites.
12. In Ghana, who does Malcolm X ride with to the airport?
(a) The Cuban ambassador and Maya Angelou.
(b) Nana Nketsia and Maya's friend Alice.
(c) The French ambassador.
(d) Maya Angelou and Julian Mayfield.
13. Who is Malcolm X?
(a) Civil Rights leader.
(b) Sports figure.
(c) Official U.S. ambassador.
(d) Professor of African-American history.
14. When Maya takes a trip into the bush and meets with a tribal leader, where does the man think Maya is from?
15. Who listens to Malcolm X when he visits Accra while Maya lives there?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Malcolm X feel after his encounter with the public figure outside their hotel?
2. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
3. Why does Maya feel angry towards Shirley Graham Du Bois?
4. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
5. Maya is approached by a German man and his wife. They invite her to:
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)