|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
(a) Organized religion.
(b) Professional sports.
(c) The Civil Rights Movement.
(d) The Women's Rights Movement.
2. Why does Malcolm X approach the public figure who is leaving the hotel in Accra at the same time he is?
(a) To get his autograph.
(b) To argue with him.
(c) To express his admiration.
(d) To ask for his support.
3. How long does the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees to support MLK's march take place?
(a) All night and through the morning and early afternoon.
(b) Three days.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) All afternoon and into early evening.
4. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
(a) To clear her head.
(b) To see other parts of Africa.
(c) To try new foods.
(d) To get away from Sheikhali.
5. What does Sheikhali say to Maya with regards to his tardiness?
(a) He overslept.
(b) His car broke down.
(c) She has every reason to be upset.
(d) She should not be upset.
6. When Maya brings her guest with her to the home of the German couple, how does the host react?
(a) With complete indifference.
(b) Somewhat surprised.
(c) He's pleased and welcomes the two warmly.
(d) With contempt.
7. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
(a) He says he understands.
(b) He chastises her.
(c) He laughs loudly.
(d) He shakes his head and grows silent.
8. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
(a) With confusion.
(b) With silence.
(c) She's excited.
(d) She's disappointed.
9. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
10. When Maya confronts her son about his girlfriend, what does he say?
(a) Maya would like the girlfriend if they met.
(b) He's a man and can make his own decisions.
(c) He's always liked older women.
(d) He sees nothing wrong with dating someone so young.
11. Why does Sheikhali speak to Maya through Mamali?
(a) To more accurately express his emotions.
(b) Mamali is fluent in English.
(c) Maya's phone message has angered him.
(d) He is embarassed to speak directly because he's so late.
12. When Maya takes a trip into the bush and meets with a tribal leader, where does the man think Maya is from?
13. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
14. By meeting and getting to know Malcolm X, Maya finds her own opinions:
(b) Mattering more than before.
(c) Being ridiculed.
(d) Being tested.
15. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
(a) Wooden leg.
(b) Gold pocket watch.
(c) Glass eye.
(d) Silver cane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mamali?
2. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
3. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
4. When friends ask Maya to sing for the visiting Liberian president, how does she react?
5. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)