|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Kojo's family come from Akwapim to speak with Maya?
(a) To thank her.
(b) To meet an American.
(c) To ask her to move to Akwapim.
(d) To interview her.
2. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Department of Engineering.
(b) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(c) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(d) Institute of African Studies.
3. To thank Maya for finding her misplaced pay envelope, what does Grace Nuamah do?
(a) Buys Maya a purse.
(b) Writes a poem for Maya.
(c) Treats Maya to lunch.
(d) Takes Maya to the movies.
4. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
(a) He's not looking for a job.
(b) He wants to hire her.
(c) He thanks her nonetheless.
(d) He'll work for tips.
5. After Maya's friends Alice and Vicki tell the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife about life in Ghana, what does the man do?
(a) Applies for work immediately.
(b) Accuses them of lying.
(c) Goes into a depression.
(d) Threatens to leave.
6. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
7. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
(a) Egyptian leaders.
(b) The U.S. President.
(c) Ghana's government.
(d) Kenyan students.
8. Who is Julian Mayfield?
(a) Maya's son's doctor.
(b) Professor of Maya's son.
(c) Friend of Maya's.
(d) Maya's boss.
9. How does the author feel about discrimination?
(a) She tolerates it when it's convenient.
(b) She cannot accept it in any form.
(c) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(d) She understands why some choose to discriminate.
10. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(b) Eat crepes.
(c) Meet dignitaries.
(d) Listen to musicians.
11. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To find her son.
(b) To scold a reporter.
(c) To write a classified ad.
(d) To look for work.
12. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To work as his translator.
(c) If she's ever been to Egypt.
(d) Why she left the United States.
13. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
(a) To help her discover a deeper part of Ghana.
(b) To look for a suitable husband for her.
(c) To serve as mentors for her son.
(d) To pay for her trip back to the United States.
14. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
(a) House cleaner for a university professor.
(b) Cook at the YMCA kitchen.
(c) Editor of a prestigious paper.
(d) Typist in a foreign embassy.
15. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
(a) Her American clothes.
(b) Having only one child.
(c) Having no boyfriend.
(d) Her American accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
2. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
3. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
4. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
5. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)