|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Birthday party.
(b) Graduation ceremony.
(c) Baby naming ceremony.
(d) Thanksgiving feast.
2. Maya decides to help Kojo with what?
(c) Social skills.
(d) Photo developing.
3. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To write a classified ad.
(b) To look for work.
(c) To find her son.
(d) To scold a reporter.
4. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
(a) He's not looking for a job.
(b) He'll work for tips.
(c) He thanks her nonetheless.
(d) He wants to hire her.
5. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
(a) Contemporary comedy.
(b) Shakespearean tragedy.
(c) Moroccan musical.
(d) Chinese play.
6. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Department of Engineering.
(b) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(c) Institute of African Studies.
(d) Institue of Global Perspectives.
7. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
(a) His clothes.
(b) His attitude towards women.
(c) His annoying laugh.
(d) The way he treats Americans.
8. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To give Ghana a chance.
(b) To move to Guinea.
(c) To move into the YMCA.
(d) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
9. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
(a) Typist in a foreign embassy.
(b) Editor of a prestigious paper.
(c) Cook at the YMCA kitchen.
(d) House cleaner for a university professor.
10. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
(a) Neighboring quiet village.
(b) Twelfth story of a high-rise.
(c) City a hundred miles away.
(d) Three-bedroom bungalow.
11. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Gay rights.
(b) Children's rights.
(c) Immigration rights.
(d) Civil rights.
12. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
(a) To please stop staring at Sheikhali because it's rude.
(b) If she would like Sheikhali to tie her green bandanna in the traditional style.
(c) If she would like to dance with Sheikhali.
(d) If she would have dinner with Sheikhali.
13. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
(a) Famous Ghanaian photographer.
(b) Young boy looking for work.
(c) Homeless man looking for food.
(d) World renowned cook.
14. What does Maya's son do after his release from the hospital?
(a) Travels to Tanzania.
(b) Gets a job at a local restaurant.
(c) Takes up playing the guitar.
(d) Moves in with Maya.
15. What job does Alice, Maya's friend, find in Ghana?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
2. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
3. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
4. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
5. Who does Kojo remind Maya of?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)