|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Department of Engineering.
(b) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(c) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(d) Institute of African Studies.
2. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) House painting party.
(b) Outdoor potluck.
(c) Baby naming ceremony.
(d) Neighborhood campfire.
3. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(b) Listen to musicians.
(c) Eat crepes.
(d) Meet dignitaries.
4. What article is Maya asked to write when she looks for journalism work in Africa?
(a) Reflections of Africa.
(b) African Heritage.
(c) America Today.
(d) American Cuisine.
5. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
(a) To please stop staring at Sheikhali because it's rude.
(b) If she would like to dance with Sheikhali.
(c) If she would have dinner with Sheikhali.
(d) If she would like Sheikhali to tie her green bandanna in the traditional style.
6. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
(a) Her friend Efua is an amazing dancer.
(b) Everyone is wearing something green.
(c) She finds a large man across the room to be attractive.
(d) She wore the wrong shoes.
7. What is Maya's son's name?
8. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
(a) Refuses to talk with her.
(d) Offers her a soda.
9. Following Maya's reaction to the Senior Common Room discussion, what does the steward do?
(a) Laughs out loud.
(b) Reprimands her.
(c) Applauds her.
(d) Apologizes to the Englishman.
10. Who is Grace Nuamah?
(a) Head custodian.
(b) Dance teacher.
(c) Head cook.
(d) Fante teacher.
11. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
(a) Penthouse apartment of a luxurious hotel.
(b) Empty house of a professor on leave.
(c) Home of a distant aunt.
(d) Small studio on campus.
12. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
13. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) There are many people there.
(b) They would rather stay where they are.
(c) They appear angry at Kojo.
(d) They are terribly shy.
14. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
(a) Clean a child's face.
(b) Wave in the air.
(c) Wipe her tears.
(d) Tie back her hair.
15. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
(b) Teach them French and English.
(c) Walk them to and from school.
(d) Take them on a trip to the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. After listening to the negative talk going on in the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, how does she react?
2. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
3. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
4. Which of the following best describes Maya?
5. Who is Julian Mayfield?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)