|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
(a) Her son is in good spirits and doing well.
(b) Her son has been moved to another hospital.
(c) There is a severe staff shortage.
(d) They desperately need volunteers.
2. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
(a) Beet farmer.
(b) Newspaper reporter.
(c) Cattle baron.
(d) University professor.
3. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
4. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Take them on a trip to the United States.
(b) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
(c) Teach them French and English.
(d) Walk them to and from school.
5. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
(a) Running a campaign.
(b) Contacting the president.
(c) Finding a car.
(d) Learning the language.
6. After living with a friend in Accra, Maya and her son move to the:
(a) Legassi Gardens Apartments.
(b) Motel Six.
(d) Crystal Hostel.
7. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
(a) Rwanda's Red Cross.
(b) Cameroon's Art Association.
(c) Kenya's Volunteer Corps.
(d) Ghana's National Theatre.
8. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
(a) Twelfth story of a high-rise.
(b) City a hundred miles away.
(c) Three-bedroom bungalow.
(d) Neighboring quiet village.
9. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
(a) Cook at the YMCA kitchen.
(b) House cleaner for a university professor.
(c) Typist in a foreign embassy.
(d) Editor of a prestigious paper.
10. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
(a) Wave in the air.
(b) Wipe her tears.
(c) Clean a child's face.
(d) Tie back her hair.
11. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
(a) She doesn't like his children.
(b) He already has a wife.
(c) She doesn't want to leave the country.
(d) She already has a job.
12. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
13. Who is Julian Mayfield?
(a) Maya's son's doctor.
(b) Maya's boss.
(c) Professor of Maya's son.
(d) Friend of Maya's.
14. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
(a) Get ahead in life by learning new languages.
(b) Locate her long-lost parents.
(c) Make more money than she could in the United States.
(d) Better understand the continent of her ancestry.
15. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(a) Eat crepes.
(b) Listen to musicians.
(c) Meet dignitaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
2. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
3. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
4. Who does Kojo remind Maya of?
5. Which of the following best describes Maya?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)