|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
(a) Locate her long-lost parents.
(b) Better understand the continent of her ancestry.
(c) Make more money than she could in the United States.
(d) Get ahead in life by learning new languages.
2. Who is Julian Mayfield?
(a) Friend of Maya's.
(b) Professor of Maya's son.
(c) Maya's son's doctor.
(d) Maya's boss.
3. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
(a) She doesn't like his children.
(b) She already has a job.
(c) She doesn't want to leave the country.
(d) He already has a wife.
4. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) As heroes.
(c) With compassion.
(d) As friends.
5. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
(a) The reaction of blacks to treatment received in America 300 years ago.
(b) The silliness of trying to reach the moon.
(c) The futility of the Vietnam War.
(d) The decision by whites to keep the races apart in South Africa.
6. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
(a) It's no different than much of American culture.
(b) She feels like she fits right in.
(c) It's far more advanced than American culture.
(d) It's foreign to her.
7. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
(a) Her American clothes.
(b) Having no boyfriend.
(c) Having only one child.
(d) Her American accent.
8. Who is Grace Nuamah?
(a) Head cook.
(b) Fante teacher.
(c) Dance teacher.
(d) Head custodian.
9. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
(a) Everyone is wearing something green.
(b) Her friend Efua is an amazing dancer.
(c) She wore the wrong shoes.
(d) She finds a large man across the room to be attractive.
10. After living with a friend in Accra, Maya and her son move to the:
(a) Crystal Hostel.
(b) Legassi Gardens Apartments.
(c) Motel Six.
11. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
(a) Rare book.
(b) A Job.
(d) Honorary degree.
12. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
(a) Contacting the president.
(b) Running a campaign.
(c) Learning the language.
(d) Finding a car.
13. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
(a) Blaring horns.
(b) Beating drums.
(c) Australian didgeridoos.
(d) Spanish guitars.
14. This book recounts the author's years in:
15. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya regard T.D. Bafoo and his wife?
2. Maya learns that Kojo's family are middle class:
3. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
4. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
5. Once she realizes that her son is going to be all right after what happens to him unexpectedly, Maya starts to:
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)