|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
(a) They desperately need volunteers.
(b) There is a severe staff shortage.
(c) Her son is in good spirits and doing well.
(d) Her son has been moved to another hospital.
2. Maya Angelou is a world-renowned:
(a) Minister and counselor.
(b) Poet, writer, and performer.
(c) Politician and ambassador.
(d) Singer, graphic designer, and sculptor.
3. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Thanksgiving feast.
(b) Birthday party.
(c) Baby naming ceremony.
(d) Graduation ceremony.
4. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
(a) Beating drums.
(b) Blaring horns.
(c) Australian didgeridoos.
(d) Spanish guitars.
5. Who is Grace Nuamah?
(a) Head custodian.
(b) Dance teacher.
(c) Fante teacher.
(d) Head cook.
6. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
(a) The silliness of trying to reach the moon.
(b) The futility of the Vietnam War.
(c) The decision by whites to keep the races apart in South Africa.
(d) The reaction of blacks to treatment received in America 300 years ago.
7. What does Maya's son do after his release from the hospital?
(a) Moves in with Maya.
(b) Travels to Tanzania.
(c) Takes up playing the guitar.
(d) Gets a job at a local restaurant.
8. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
(a) Freedom fighter in Rwanda.
(b) New president of Ghana.
(c) Charismatic religious leader in Kenya.
(d) Popular celebrity in Cameroon.
9. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To give Ghana a chance.
(b) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
(c) To move to Guinea.
(d) To move into the YMCA.
10. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(a) Listen to musicians.
(b) Meet dignitaries.
(d) Eat crepes.
11. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
(b) Pearl earrings.
(d) Gold necklace.
12. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
(a) Mid sixties.
(b) Late nineties.
(c) Late seventies.
(d) Mid forties.
13. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
(a) He is swept to sea and nearly drowns.
(b) He is mistaken for a revolutionary rebel.
(c) He is seriously hurt in a car accident.
(d) He wins a national writing contest.
14. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
15. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Take them on a trip to the United States.
(b) Walk them to and from school.
(c) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
(d) Teach them French and English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Maya?
2. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
3. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
4. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
5. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)