|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
(a) To escape from her overprotective parents.
(b) To work on heritage preservation.
(c) To leave her abusive husband.
(d) To work with labor unions.
2. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
3. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
(a) Moroccan musical.
(b) Chinese play.
(c) Contemporary comedy.
(d) Shakespearean tragedy.
4. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
(a) He already has a wife.
(b) She doesn't like his children.
(c) She already has a job.
(d) She doesn't want to leave the country.
5. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
(b) Refuses to talk with her.
(d) Offers her a soda.
6. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
(b) A typewriter.
(c) Fruits and vegetables.
(d) Bags of flour.
7. When Maya and her friends talk with a couple who have just arrived from the United States, what do they tell the couple?
(a) Life in Ghana is hard.
(b) Ghanaian cuisine is the best food they've ever had.
(c) Life in Ghana is easy.
(d) The food in Ghana is terrible.
8. Maya learns that Kojo's family are middle class:
(a) Construction workers.
(b) Restaurant cooks.
9. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
10. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To find a husband.
(b) To work as a social worker.
(c) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
(d) To help endangered species.
11. Who is Julian Mayfield?
(a) Friend of Maya's.
(b) Maya's boss.
(c) Maya's son's doctor.
(d) Professor of Maya's son.
12. Which of the following best describes Maya?
13. What is Maya's son's name?
14. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
(a) Ghana's National Theatre.
(b) Rwanda's Red Cross.
(c) Kenya's Volunteer Corps.
(d) Cameroon's Art Association.
15. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
(a) University professor.
(b) Beet farmer.
(c) Cattle baron.
(d) Newspaper reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do Maya and Sheikhali prefer to converse in?
2. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
3. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
4. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
5. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)