|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What article is Maya asked to write when she looks for journalism work in Africa?
(a) America Today.
(b) Reflections of Africa.
(c) African Heritage.
(d) American Cuisine.
2. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
3. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
(b) Apartheid in South Africa.
(c) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
(d) The Vietnam War.
4. Following what happens to Maya's son, Efua Sutherland gives her permission to what?
(a) Scold her son.
(d) Blame others.
5. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To find a husband.
(b) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
(c) To work as a social worker.
(d) To help endangered species.
6. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) They are terribly shy.
(b) There are many people there.
(c) They would rather stay where they are.
(d) They appear angry at Kojo.
7. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
(a) Blaring horns.
(b) Beating drums.
(c) Australian didgeridoos.
(d) Spanish guitars.
8. Following Maya's reaction to the Senior Common Room discussion, what does the steward do?
(a) Reprimands her.
(b) Laughs out loud.
(c) Applauds her.
(d) Apologizes to the Englishman.
9. When Maya first goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office, who does she want to talk with?
(a) The person who hires writers.
(b) The only American working there.
(c) The senior vice president of the company.
(d) The person who interviews local guests.
10. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
(a) Gold necklace.
(b) Pearl earrings.
11. How does Maya regard T.D. Bafoo and his wife?
(a) With uncertainty.
(b) With anger.
(c) With distrust.
(d) With respect.
12. Once she realizes that her son is going to be all right after what happens to him unexpectedly, Maya starts to:
(a) Write a poem honoring humanity.
(b) Volunteer at the library.
(c) Create a sculpture as a gift for her son.
(d) Take care of herself and make friends.
13. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
(b) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(c) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
(d) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
14. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
(a) Honorary degree.
(b) A Job.
(d) Rare book.
15. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
(d) Back room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
2. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
3. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
4. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
5. What language do Maya and Sheikhali prefer to converse in?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)