|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
(a) Famous Ghanaian photographer.
(b) Young boy looking for work.
(c) Homeless man looking for food.
(d) World renowned cook.
2. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
3. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
(a) It's far more advanced than American culture.
(b) She feels like she fits right in.
(c) It's foreign to her.
(d) It's no different than much of American culture.
4. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(b) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
(c) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
(d) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
5. After living with a friend in Accra, Maya and her son move to the:
(a) Crystal Hostel.
(b) Legassi Gardens Apartments.
(c) Motel Six.
6. Maya learns that Kojo's family are middle class:
(c) Restaurant cooks.
(d) Construction workers.
7. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
8. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To move to Guinea.
(b) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
(c) To give Ghana a chance.
(d) To move into the YMCA.
9. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
(b) Rare book.
(c) Honorary degree.
(d) A Job.
10. When Maya first goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office, who does she want to talk with?
(a) The only American working there.
(b) The person who interviews local guests.
(c) The person who hires writers.
(d) The senior vice president of the company.
11. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
(a) He'll work for tips.
(b) He's not looking for a job.
(c) He thanks her nonetheless.
(d) He wants to hire her.
12. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
(a) To look for a suitable husband for her.
(b) To serve as mentors for her son.
(c) To help her discover a deeper part of Ghana.
(d) To pay for her trip back to the United States.
13. Maya Angelou is a world-renowned:
(a) Politician and ambassador.
(b) Minister and counselor.
(c) Poet, writer, and performer.
(d) Singer, graphic designer, and sculptor.
14. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) There are many people there.
(b) They appear angry at Kojo.
(c) They are terribly shy.
(d) They would rather stay where they are.
15. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
(a) Egyptian leaders.
(b) Kenyan students.
(c) Ghana's government.
(d) The U.S. President.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
2. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
3. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
4. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
5. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)