|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
(a) If she would like Sheikhali to tie her green bandanna in the traditional style.
(b) If she would have dinner with Sheikhali.
(c) To please stop staring at Sheikhali because it's rude.
(d) If she would like to dance with Sheikhali.
2. What is Maya's son's name?
3. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
(a) Christian study groups.
(b) Political discussion groups.
(c) Foreign exchange students.
(d) Local actors.
4. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Terribly homesick.
(b) It's no different than living in the United States.
(c) Like a second-class citizen.
(d) Accepted and not disciminated against.
5. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
(a) He is mistaken for a revolutionary rebel.
(b) He is seriously hurt in a car accident.
(c) He is swept to sea and nearly drowns.
(d) He wins a national writing contest.
6. To thank Maya for finding her misplaced pay envelope, what does Grace Nuamah do?
(a) Treats Maya to lunch.
(b) Writes a poem for Maya.
(c) Buys Maya a purse.
(d) Takes Maya to the movies.
7. Maya decides to help Kojo with what?
(b) Social skills.
(c) Photo developing.
8. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(b) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
(c) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
(d) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
9. Where is Maya's son studying?
(a) National University of Rwanda.
(b) University of Nairobi.
(c) University of Ghana.
(d) University of Douala.
10. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
(a) Beet farmer.
(b) Newspaper reporter.
(c) University professor.
(d) Cattle baron.
11. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
(a) The U.S. President.
(b) Ghana's government.
(c) Kenyan students.
(d) Egyptian leaders.
12. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
(a) Neighboring quiet village.
(b) Twelfth story of a high-rise.
(c) City a hundred miles away.
(d) Three-bedroom bungalow.
13. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
(b) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(c) They don't trust any foreigners.
(d) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
14. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
15. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
Short Answer Questions
1. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
2. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
3. Who is Grace Nuamah?
4. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
5. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)