|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
(a) Beating drums.
(b) Blaring horns.
(c) Spanish guitars.
(d) Australian didgeridoos.
2. What language do Maya and Sheikhali prefer to converse in?
3. Which of the following best describes Maya?
4. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
(a) Editor of the Ghanaian Times.
(b) President of the University of Ghana.
(c) Director of Ghana's YMCA.
(d) Owner of Ristorante Ghana Primavera.
5. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
(a) Having only one child.
(b) Her American accent.
(c) Having no boyfriend.
(d) Her American clothes.
6. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) If she's ever been to Egypt.
(b) Why she left the United States.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To work as his translator.
7. When Maya is invited into T.D. Bafoo's office, what does she expect will happen?
(a) She will be offered a job.
(b) She will receive a raise.
(c) She will be fired.
(d) She will be reprimanded.
8. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
(a) Christian study groups.
(b) Local actors.
(c) Foreign exchange students.
(d) Political discussion groups.
9. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
(b) To move into the YMCA.
(c) To move to Guinea.
(d) To give Ghana a chance.
10. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) They are terribly shy.
(b) They appear angry at Kojo.
(c) There are many people there.
(d) They would rather stay where they are.
11. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
(a) Small studio on campus.
(b) Home of a distant aunt.
(c) Empty house of a professor on leave.
(d) Penthouse apartment of a luxurious hotel.
12. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(b) They don't trust any foreigners.
(c) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
(d) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
13. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
14. What is Maya's son's name?
15. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Accepted and not disciminated against.
(b) Terribly homesick.
(c) Like a second-class citizen.
(d) It's no different than living in the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
2. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
3. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
4. Once she realizes that her son is going to be all right after what happens to him unexpectedly, Maya starts to:
5. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)