|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
(a) He wants to hire her.
(b) He'll work for tips.
(c) He thanks her nonetheless.
(d) He's not looking for a job.
2. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Children's rights.
(b) Gay rights.
(c) Civil rights.
(d) Immigration rights.
3. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
(a) Political discussion groups.
(b) Christian study groups.
(c) Local actors.
(d) Foreign exchange students.
4. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
5. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
(b) Pearl earrings.
(c) Gold necklace.
6. This book recounts the author's years in:
7. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
(a) New president of Ghana.
(b) Freedom fighter in Rwanda.
(c) Charismatic religious leader in Kenya.
(d) Popular celebrity in Cameroon.
8. Who does Kojo remind Maya of?
(a) Her son Guy.
(b) Her steward Otu.
(c) Her brother Bailey.
(d) Her friend Julian.
9. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
(a) The way he treats Americans.
(b) His attitude towards women.
(c) His clothes.
(d) His annoying laugh.
10. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
(a) Owner of Ristorante Ghana Primavera.
(b) President of the University of Ghana.
(c) Director of Ghana's YMCA.
(d) Editor of the Ghanaian Times.
11. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) Apartheid in South Africa.
(d) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
12. Following Maya's reaction to the Senior Common Room discussion, what does the steward do?
(a) Applauds her.
(b) Reprimands her.
(c) Laughs out loud.
(d) Apologizes to the Englishman.
13. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
(a) If she would have dinner with Sheikhali.
(b) If she would like Sheikhali to tie her green bandanna in the traditional style.
(c) To please stop staring at Sheikhali because it's rude.
(d) If she would like to dance with Sheikhali.
14. To thank Maya for finding her misplaced pay envelope, what does Grace Nuamah do?
(a) Treats Maya to lunch.
(b) Writes a poem for Maya.
(c) Buys Maya a purse.
(d) Takes Maya to the movies.
15. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
(a) Editor of a prestigious paper.
(b) Typist in a foreign embassy.
(c) House cleaner for a university professor.
(d) Cook at the YMCA kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Maya's friends Alice and Vicki tell the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife about life in Ghana, what does the man do?
2. Who is Julian Mayfield?
3. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
4. What job does Alice, Maya's friend, find in Ghana?
5. Maya decides to help Kojo with what?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)