|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) To work as his translator.
(b) To marry him.
(c) If she's ever been to Egypt.
(d) Why she left the United States.
2. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
(a) She doesn't like his children.
(b) She doesn't want to leave the country.
(c) He already has a wife.
(d) She already has a job.
3. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To move to Guinea.
(b) To give Ghana a chance.
(c) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
(d) To move into the YMCA.
4. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
(b) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
(c) Apartheid in South Africa.
(d) The Vietnam War.
5. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
(a) Foreign exchange students.
(b) Local actors.
(c) Christian study groups.
(d) Political discussion groups.
6. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Graduation ceremony.
(b) Baby naming ceremony.
(c) Birthday party.
(d) Thanksgiving feast.
7. Where is Maya's son studying?
(a) University of Ghana.
(b) University of Nairobi.
(c) National University of Rwanda.
(d) University of Douala.
8. What does Maya's son do after his release from the hospital?
(a) Moves in with Maya.
(b) Takes up playing the guitar.
(c) Gets a job at a local restaurant.
(d) Travels to Tanzania.
9. This book recounts the author's years in:
10. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
(a) Mid forties.
(b) Late seventies.
(c) Late nineties.
(d) Mid sixties.
11. Maya decides to help Kojo with what?
(a) Photo developing.
(b) Social skills.
12. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
(a) He thanks her nonetheless.
(b) He's not looking for a job.
(c) He wants to hire her.
(d) He'll work for tips.
13. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) There are many people there.
(b) They appear angry at Kojo.
(c) They are terribly shy.
(d) They would rather stay where they are.
14. How does Maya regard T.D. Bafoo and his wife?
(a) With anger.
(b) With respect.
(c) With distrust.
(d) With uncertainty.
15. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Civil rights.
(b) Immigration rights.
(c) Children's rights.
(d) Gay rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
2. What language do Maya and Sheikhali prefer to converse in?
3. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
4. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
5. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)