|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To move into the YMCA.
(b) To move to Guinea.
(c) To give Ghana a chance.
(d) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
2. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Thanksgiving feast.
(b) Graduation ceremony.
(c) Baby naming ceremony.
(d) Birthday party.
3. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
(a) Contemporary comedy.
(b) Shakespearean tragedy.
(c) Moroccan musical.
(d) Chinese play.
4. What job does Alice, Maya's friend, find in Ghana?
5. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
(a) Blaring horns.
(b) Spanish guitars.
(c) Australian didgeridoos.
(d) Beating drums.
6. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
(a) City a hundred miles away.
(b) Twelfth story of a high-rise.
(c) Neighboring quiet village.
(d) Three-bedroom bungalow.
7. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
(a) Offers her a soda.
(b) Refuses to talk with her.
8. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
(a) Late nineties.
(b) Mid sixties.
(c) Mid forties.
(d) Late seventies.
9. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
(a) House cleaner for a university professor.
(b) Cook at the YMCA kitchen.
(c) Editor of a prestigious paper.
(d) Typist in a foreign embassy.
10. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They don't trust any foreigners.
(b) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
(c) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(d) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
11. What language do Maya and Sheikhali prefer to converse in?
12. When Maya first goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office, who does she want to talk with?
(a) The person who interviews local guests.
(b) The person who hires writers.
(c) The senior vice president of the company.
(d) The only American working there.
13. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
(a) As heroes.
(b) As friends.
(c) With suspicion.
(d) With compassion.
14. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
15. When Maya is invited into T.D. Bafoo's office, what does she expect will happen?
(a) She will be fired.
(b) She will receive a raise.
(c) She will be offered a job.
(d) She will be reprimanded.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
2. Maya decides to help Kojo with what?
3. How does the author feel about discrimination?
4. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
5. Who is Julian Mayfield?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)