|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To write a classified ad.
(b) To look for work.
(c) To scold a reporter.
(d) To find her son.
2. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) Outdoor potluck.
(b) Baby naming ceremony.
(c) House painting party.
(d) Neighborhood campfire.
3. This book recounts the author's years in:
4. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
(a) Get ahead in life by learning new languages.
(b) Make more money than she could in the United States.
(c) Locate her long-lost parents.
(d) Better understand the continent of her ancestry.
5. How does Maya regard T.D. Bafoo and his wife?
(a) With uncertainty.
(b) With anger.
(c) With respect.
(d) With distrust.
6. Maya Angelou is a world-renowned:
(a) Singer, graphic designer, and sculptor.
(b) Poet, writer, and performer.
(c) Politician and ambassador.
(d) Minister and counselor.
7. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
(a) Editor of the Ghanaian Times.
(b) President of the University of Ghana.
(c) Director of Ghana's YMCA.
(d) Owner of Ristorante Ghana Primavera.
8. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
(b) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(c) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
(d) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
9. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
(a) Back room.
10. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To move into the YMCA.
(b) To move to Guinea.
(c) To give Ghana a chance.
(d) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
11. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(b) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
(c) They don't trust any foreigners.
(d) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
12. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
(a) Honorary degree.
(c) A Job.
(d) Rare book.
13. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
(a) To serve as mentors for her son.
(b) To help her discover a deeper part of Ghana.
(c) To pay for her trip back to the United States.
(d) To look for a suitable husband for her.
14. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
(a) His annoying laugh.
(b) His attitude towards women.
(c) His clothes.
(d) The way he treats Americans.
15. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
(a) Her friend Efua is an amazing dancer.
(b) She finds a large man across the room to be attractive.
(c) She wore the wrong shoes.
(d) Everyone is wearing something green.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
2. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
3. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
4. What job does Alice, Maya's friend, find in Ghana?
5. Where is Maya's son studying?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)