|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
(b) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(c) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
(d) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
2. What job does Alice, Maya's friend, find in Ghana?
3. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Institute of African Studies.
(b) Department of Engineering.
(c) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(d) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
4. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
(a) Africans working to end hunger.
(b) South African freedom fighters.
(c) Americans seeking refuge in Africa.
(d) Americans trying to spread democracy.
5. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) Outdoor potluck.
(b) House painting party.
(c) Neighborhood campfire.
(d) Baby naming ceremony.
6. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
(a) To pay for her trip back to the United States.
(b) To help her discover a deeper part of Ghana.
(c) To serve as mentors for her son.
(d) To look for a suitable husband for her.
7. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
8. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
(b) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
(c) Apartheid in South Africa.
(d) The Vietnam War.
9. To thank Maya for finding her misplaced pay envelope, what does Grace Nuamah do?
(a) Treats Maya to lunch.
(b) Buys Maya a purse.
(c) Takes Maya to the movies.
(d) Writes a poem for Maya.
10. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
(a) Young boy looking for work.
(b) Homeless man looking for food.
(c) World renowned cook.
(d) Famous Ghanaian photographer.
11. Who is Grace Nuamah?
(a) Fante teacher.
(b) Head cook.
(c) Dance teacher.
(d) Head custodian.
12. How does the author feel about discrimination?
(a) She cannot accept it in any form.
(b) She understands why some choose to discriminate.
(c) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(d) She tolerates it when it's convenient.
13. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(b) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
(c) They don't trust any foreigners.
(d) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
14. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Terribly homesick.
(b) It's no different than living in the United States.
(c) Accepted and not disciminated against.
(d) Like a second-class citizen.
15. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
(a) Editor of the Ghanaian Times.
(b) President of the University of Ghana.
(c) Owner of Ristorante Ghana Primavera.
(d) Director of Ghana's YMCA.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Maya's son studying?
2. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
3. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
4. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
5. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)