|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(b) Listen to musicians.
(c) Meet dignitaries.
(d) Eat crepes.
2. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
(a) He is seriously hurt in a car accident.
(b) He is mistaken for a revolutionary rebel.
(c) He wins a national writing contest.
(d) He is swept to sea and nearly drowns.
3. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) There are many people there.
(b) They would rather stay where they are.
(c) They appear angry at Kojo.
(d) They are terribly shy.
4. When Maya is invited into T.D. Bafoo's office, what does she expect will happen?
(a) She will be reprimanded.
(b) She will be fired.
(c) She will be offered a job.
(d) She will receive a raise.
5. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
(a) Americans seeking refuge in Africa.
(b) South African freedom fighters.
(c) Americans trying to spread democracy.
(d) Africans working to end hunger.
6. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Accepted and not disciminated against.
(b) Like a second-class citizen.
(c) Terribly homesick.
(d) It's no different than living in the United States.
7. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
(b) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(c) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
(d) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
8. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
(a) He already has a wife.
(b) She doesn't like his children.
(c) She already has a job.
(d) She doesn't want to leave the country.
9. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
(a) A woman who brings Maya a green bandanna.
(b) Her friend Efua to urge Maya to come dance.
(c) A man who is accompanying the gentleman Maya finds attractive.
(d) The festival organizer to offer Maya a different pair of shoes.
10. After Maya's friends Alice and Vicki tell the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife about life in Ghana, what does the man do?
(a) Accuses them of lying.
(b) Threatens to leave.
(c) Goes into a depression.
(d) Applies for work immediately.
11. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
(b) Offers her a soda.
(c) Refuses to talk with her.
12. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
(a) Bags of flour.
(b) A typewriter.
(d) Fruits and vegetables.
13. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Institute of African Studies.
(b) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(c) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(d) Department of Engineering.
14. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
(a) Ghana's government.
(b) Kenyan students.
(c) The U.S. President.
(d) Egyptian leaders.
15. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
(a) It's foreign to her.
(b) It's far more advanced than American culture.
(c) It's no different than much of American culture.
(d) She feels like she fits right in.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maya and her friends talk with a couple who have just arrived from the United States, what do they tell the couple?
2. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
3. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
4. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
5. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)