|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maya learns that Kojo's family are middle class:
(a) Restaurant cooks.
(c) Construction workers.
2. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
(a) Famous Ghanaian photographer.
(b) Homeless man looking for food.
(c) Young boy looking for work.
(d) World renowned cook.
3. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Terribly homesick.
(b) It's no different than living in the United States.
(c) Like a second-class citizen.
(d) Accepted and not disciminated against.
4. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
(b) To work as a social worker.
(c) To help endangered species.
(d) To find a husband.
5. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
(a) Learning the language.
(b) Running a campaign.
(c) Contacting the president.
(d) Finding a car.
6. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
(a) Having no boyfriend.
(b) Her American accent.
(c) Having only one child.
(d) Her American clothes.
7. Which of the following best describes Maya?
8. Who is Grace Nuamah?
(a) Fante teacher.
(b) Head cook.
(c) Head custodian.
(d) Dance teacher.
9. What job does Alice, Maya's friend, find in Ghana?
10. Who does Kojo remind Maya of?
(a) Her steward Otu.
(b) Her brother Bailey.
(c) Her friend Julian.
(d) Her son Guy.
11. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Children's rights.
(b) Gay rights.
(c) Civil rights.
(d) Immigration rights.
12. When Maya and her friends talk with a couple who have just arrived from the United States, what do they tell the couple?
(a) Ghanaian cuisine is the best food they've ever had.
(b) The food in Ghana is terrible.
(c) Life in Ghana is easy.
(d) Life in Ghana is hard.
13. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(a) Meet dignitaries.
(b) Listen to musicians.
(d) Eat crepes.
14. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) Baby naming ceremony.
(b) House painting party.
(c) Neighborhood campfire.
(d) Outdoor potluck.
15. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Thanksgiving feast.
(b) Birthday party.
(c) Graduation ceremony.
(d) Baby naming ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What article is Maya asked to write when she looks for journalism work in Africa?
2. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
3. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
4. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
5. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)