|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maya decides to help Kojo with what?
(a) Photo developing.
(b) Social skills.
2. Where is Maya's son studying?
(a) University of Nairobi.
(b) University of Douala.
(c) National University of Rwanda.
(d) University of Ghana.
3. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) Neighborhood campfire.
(b) Baby naming ceremony.
(c) House painting party.
(d) Outdoor potluck.
4. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To write a classified ad.
(b) To scold a reporter.
(c) To find her son.
(d) To look for work.
5. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Children's rights.
(b) Civil rights.
(c) Immigration rights.
(d) Gay rights.
6. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To give Ghana a chance.
(b) To move to Guinea.
(c) To move into the YMCA.
(d) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
7. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
(a) Local actors.
(b) Foreign exchange students.
(c) Political discussion groups.
(d) Christian study groups.
8. When Maya first goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office, who does she want to talk with?
(a) The senior vice president of the company.
(b) The person who interviews local guests.
(c) The person who hires writers.
(d) The only American working there.
9. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) They would rather stay where they are.
(b) They appear angry at Kojo.
(c) They are terribly shy.
(d) There are many people there.
10. How does the author feel about discrimination?
(a) She cannot accept it in any form.
(b) She understands why some choose to discriminate.
(c) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(d) She tolerates it when it's convenient.
11. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
(a) Small studio on campus.
(b) Home of a distant aunt.
(c) Empty house of a professor on leave.
(d) Penthouse apartment of a luxurious hotel.
12. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
(a) Having no boyfriend.
(b) Her American accent.
(c) Her American clothes.
(d) Having only one child.
13. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Take them on a trip to the United States.
(b) Walk them to and from school.
(c) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
(d) Teach them French and English.
14. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
(a) Bags of flour.
(b) A typewriter.
(d) Fruits and vegetables.
15. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
(a) Running a campaign.
(b) Contacting the president.
(c) Finding a car.
(d) Learning the language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kojo remind Maya of?
2. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
3. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
4. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
5. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)