|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
(b) To work as a social worker.
(c) To help endangered species.
(d) To find a husband.
2. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Baby naming ceremony.
(b) Thanksgiving feast.
(c) Birthday party.
(d) Graduation ceremony.
3. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
(a) He already has a wife.
(b) She doesn't like his children.
(c) She doesn't want to leave the country.
(d) She already has a job.
4. What is Maya's son's name?
5. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
(a) Blaring horns.
(b) Beating drums.
(c) Spanish guitars.
(d) Australian didgeridoos.
6. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
(b) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(c) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
(d) They don't trust any foreigners.
7. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
(a) Homeless man looking for food.
(b) Young boy looking for work.
(c) World renowned cook.
(d) Famous Ghanaian photographer.
8. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
(a) Refuses to talk with her.
(d) Offers her a soda.
9. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Take them on a trip to the United States.
(b) Teach them French and English.
(c) Walk them to and from school.
(d) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
10. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
(a) His attitude towards women.
(b) His annoying laugh.
(c) His clothes.
(d) The way he treats Americans.
11. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
(a) Small studio on campus.
(b) Home of a distant aunt.
(c) Penthouse apartment of a luxurious hotel.
(d) Empty house of a professor on leave.
12. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(b) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(c) Department of Engineering.
(d) Institute of African Studies.
13. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
(a) Children's rights.
(b) Civil rights.
(c) Gay rights.
(d) Immigration rights.
14. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
(a) The decision by whites to keep the races apart in South Africa.
(b) The reaction of blacks to treatment received in America 300 years ago.
(c) The silliness of trying to reach the moon.
(d) The futility of the Vietnam War.
15. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) As heroes.
(c) With compassion.
(d) As friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
2. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
3. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
4. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
5. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)