|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
(a) To serve as mentors for her son.
(b) To help her discover a deeper part of Ghana.
(c) To look for a suitable husband for her.
(d) To pay for her trip back to the United States.
2. Following what happens to Maya's son, Efua Sutherland gives her permission to what?
(a) Blame others.
(d) Scold her son.
3. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
(a) As heroes.
(b) With compassion.
(c) With suspicion.
(d) As friends.
4. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
(a) Freedom fighter in Rwanda.
(b) Popular celebrity in Cameroon.
(c) Charismatic religious leader in Kenya.
(d) New president of Ghana.
5. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
(a) If she would have dinner with Sheikhali.
(b) If she would like Sheikhali to tie her green bandanna in the traditional style.
(c) If she would like to dance with Sheikhali.
(d) To please stop staring at Sheikhali because it's rude.
6. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) To marry him.
(b) If she's ever been to Egypt.
(c) To work as his translator.
(d) Why she left the United States.
7. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
(a) South African freedom fighters.
(b) Americans trying to spread democracy.
(c) Africans working to end hunger.
(d) Americans seeking refuge in Africa.
8. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
(a) The U.S. President.
(b) Kenyan students.
(c) Egyptian leaders.
(d) Ghana's government.
9. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
10. When Maya is invited into T.D. Bafoo's office, what does she expect will happen?
(a) She will be reprimanded.
(b) She will receive a raise.
(c) She will be offered a job.
(d) She will be fired.
11. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
(a) The reaction of blacks to treatment received in America 300 years ago.
(b) The silliness of trying to reach the moon.
(c) The decision by whites to keep the races apart in South Africa.
(d) The futility of the Vietnam War.
12. Maya decides to help Kojo with what?
(b) Social skills.
(d) Photo developing.
13. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
(a) He'll work for tips.
(b) He wants to hire her.
(c) He thanks her nonetheless.
(d) He's not looking for a job.
14. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To find a husband.
(b) To work as a social worker.
(c) To help endangered species.
(d) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
15. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
(a) Editor of the Ghanaian Times.
(b) Director of Ghana's YMCA.
(c) Owner of Ristorante Ghana Primavera.
(d) President of the University of Ghana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Kojo's family come from Akwapim to speak with Maya?
2. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
3. Once she realizes that her son is going to be all right after what happens to him unexpectedly, Maya starts to:
4. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
5. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)