|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) Outdoor potluck.
(b) Baby naming ceremony.
(c) Neighborhood campfire.
(d) House painting party.
2. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
(a) It's far more advanced than American culture.
(b) She feels like she fits right in.
(c) It's foreign to her.
(d) It's no different than much of American culture.
3. Which of the following best describes Maya?
4. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
(a) She finds a large man across the room to be attractive.
(b) She wore the wrong shoes.
(c) Her friend Efua is an amazing dancer.
(d) Everyone is wearing something green.
5. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
(a) Make more money than she could in the United States.
(b) Locate her long-lost parents.
(c) Get ahead in life by learning new languages.
(d) Better understand the continent of her ancestry.
6. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
(a) To move to Guinea.
(b) To ask their American relatives to wire money.
(c) To move into the YMCA.
(d) To give Ghana a chance.
7. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To find a husband.
(b) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
(c) To help endangered species.
(d) To work as a social worker.
8. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
(a) There is a severe staff shortage.
(b) Her son has been moved to another hospital.
(c) They desperately need volunteers.
(d) Her son is in good spirits and doing well.
9. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
(a) Learning the language.
(b) Contacting the president.
(c) Running a campaign.
(d) Finding a car.
10. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
(a) Africans working to end hunger.
(b) South African freedom fighters.
(c) Americans trying to spread democracy.
(d) Americans seeking refuge in Africa.
11. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
(a) With compassion.
(b) With suspicion.
(c) As friends.
(d) As heroes.
12. Following what happens to Maya's son, Efua Sutherland gives her permission to what?
(b) Scold her son.
(d) Blame others.
13. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Take them on a trip to the United States.
(b) Walk them to and from school.
(c) Teach them French and English.
(d) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
14. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
(a) Mid forties.
(b) Mid sixties.
(c) Late nineties.
(d) Late seventies.
15. How does the author feel about discrimination?
(a) She tolerates it when it's convenient.
(b) She cannot accept it in any form.
(c) She understands why some choose to discriminate.
(d) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
2. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
3. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
4. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
5. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)