|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After living with a friend in Accra, Maya and her son move to the:
(a) Crystal Hostel.
(b) Legassi Gardens Apartments.
(d) Motel Six.
2. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Thanksgiving feast.
(b) Baby naming ceremony.
(c) Birthday party.
(d) Graduation ceremony.
3. Where is Maya's son studying?
(a) National University of Rwanda.
(b) University of Nairobi.
(c) University of Ghana.
(d) University of Douala.
4. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(a) Meet dignitaries.
(c) Eat crepes.
(d) Listen to musicians.
5. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
(a) Owner of Ristorante Ghana Primavera.
(b) Director of Ghana's YMCA.
(c) Editor of the Ghanaian Times.
(d) President of the University of Ghana.
6. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
(a) House cleaner for a university professor.
(b) Typist in a foreign embassy.
(c) Editor of a prestigious paper.
(d) Cook at the YMCA kitchen.
7. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
(a) It's no different than much of American culture.
(b) She feels like she fits right in.
(c) It's far more advanced than American culture.
(d) It's foreign to her.
8. How do the people of Ghana feel about the migration of American blacks to their nation?
(a) They are more concerned with their own troubles.
(b) They want all the newcomers to go back home.
(c) They don't trust any foreigners.
(d) They welcome the newcomers with open arms.
9. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
(a) Late nineties.
(b) Mid sixties.
(c) Mid forties.
(d) Late seventies.
10. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
(a) Civil Rights Movement in the U.S.
(b) The race between nations to reach the moon first.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) Apartheid in South Africa.
11. Maya Angelou is a world-renowned:
(a) Politician and ambassador.
(b) Minister and counselor.
(c) Singer, graphic designer, and sculptor.
(d) Poet, writer, and performer.
12. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
(a) If she should write a letter to the editor.
(b) If it's because her ancestors were slaves.
(c) If she's being overly sensitive.
(d) If she can go back to the United States.
13. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
(a) Young boy looking for work.
(b) Famous Ghanaian photographer.
(c) Homeless man looking for food.
(d) World renowned cook.
14. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
(a) She wore the wrong shoes.
(b) Everyone is wearing something green.
(c) Her friend Efua is an amazing dancer.
(d) She finds a large man across the room to be attractive.
15. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
2. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
3. Once she realizes that her son is going to be all right after what happens to him unexpectedly, Maya starts to:
4. What does Maya's son do after his release from the hospital?
5. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)