|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
(a) A woman who brings Maya a green bandanna.
(b) The festival organizer to offer Maya a different pair of shoes.
(c) Her friend Efua to urge Maya to come dance.
(d) A man who is accompanying the gentleman Maya finds attractive.
2. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
(a) Kenya's Volunteer Corps.
(b) Ghana's National Theatre.
(c) Rwanda's Red Cross.
(d) Cameroon's Art Association.
3. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
(a) He wins a national writing contest.
(b) He is mistaken for a revolutionary rebel.
(c) He is swept to sea and nearly drowns.
(d) He is seriously hurt in a car accident.
4. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
(a) Mid forties.
(b) Late seventies.
(c) Late nineties.
(d) Mid sixties.
5. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
(a) Accepted and not disciminated against.
(b) Terribly homesick.
(c) It's no different than living in the United States.
(d) Like a second-class citizen.
6. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
(a) Americans seeking refuge in Africa.
(b) Americans trying to spread democracy.
(c) Africans working to end hunger.
(d) South African freedom fighters.
7. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
(a) Having only one child.
(b) Her American clothes.
(c) Her American accent.
(d) Having no boyfriend.
8. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Teach them French and English.
(b) Walk them to and from school.
(c) Take them on a trip to the United States.
(d) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
9. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
(a) Cook at the YMCA kitchen.
(b) Typist in a foreign embassy.
(c) House cleaner for a university professor.
(d) Editor of a prestigious paper.
10. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
(a) Homeless man looking for food.
(b) Famous Ghanaian photographer.
(c) World renowned cook.
(d) Young boy looking for work.
11. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
(a) To find a husband.
(b) To work as a social worker.
(c) To fulfill a promise she made to her dying mother.
(d) To help endangered species.
12. What article is Maya asked to write when she looks for journalism work in Africa?
(a) Reflections of Africa.
(b) American Cuisine.
(c) African Heritage.
(d) America Today.
13. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) They are terribly shy.
(b) There are many people there.
(c) They appear angry at Kojo.
(d) They would rather stay where they are.
14. Maya learns that Kojo's family are middle class:
(a) Construction workers.
(d) Restaurant cooks.
15. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
(a) Newspaper reporter.
(b) Cattle baron.
(c) Beet farmer.
(d) University professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
2. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
3. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
4. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
5. How does Maya regard T.D. Bafoo and his wife?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)