|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
(b) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(c) Department of Engineering.
(d) Institute of African Studies.
2. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
(a) Better understand the continent of her ancestry.
(b) Make more money than she could in the United States.
(c) Locate her long-lost parents.
(d) Get ahead in life by learning new languages.
3. Where is Maya's son studying?
(a) University of Ghana.
(b) National University of Rwanda.
(c) University of Nairobi.
(d) University of Douala.
4. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
(d) Back room.
5. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
(a) Wave in the air.
(b) Clean a child's face.
(c) Tie back her hair.
(d) Wipe her tears.
6. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To look for work.
(b) To find her son.
(c) To scold a reporter.
(d) To write a classified ad.
7. When Maya is invited into T.D. Bafoo's office, what does she expect will happen?
(a) She will be reprimanded.
(b) She will be fired.
(c) She will receive a raise.
(d) She will be offered a job.
8. Which of the following best describes Maya?
9. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
10. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
(a) Her son has been moved to another hospital.
(b) Her son is in good spirits and doing well.
(c) They desperately need volunteers.
(d) There is a severe staff shortage.
11. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) To marry him.
(b) Why she left the United States.
(c) To work as his translator.
(d) If she's ever been to Egypt.
12. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
(a) Bags of flour.
(b) A typewriter.
(d) Fruits and vegetables.
13. What job does Alice, Maya's friend, find in Ghana?
14. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
(a) His annoying laugh.
(b) The way he treats Americans.
(c) His attitude towards women.
(d) His clothes.
15. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
(b) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
(c) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(d) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
Short Answer Questions
1. After listening to the negative talk going on in the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, how does she react?
2. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
3. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
4. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
5. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)