|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
(a) Refuses to talk with her.
(c) Offers her a soda.
2. How does the author feel about discrimination?
(a) She cannot accept it in any form.
(b) She understands why some choose to discriminate.
(c) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(d) She tolerates it when it's convenient.
3. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
(a) Walk them to and from school.
(b) Babysit them while he goes to Egypt.
(c) Teach them French and English.
(d) Take them on a trip to the United States.
4. What is Maya's son's name?
5. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
(a) Baby naming ceremony.
(b) Outdoor potluck.
(c) House painting party.
(d) Neighborhood campfire.
6. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
(a) Local actors.
(b) Political discussion groups.
(c) Foreign exchange students.
(d) Christian study groups.
7. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
8. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
(a) Kenya's Volunteer Corps.
(b) Cameroon's Art Association.
(c) Ghana's National Theatre.
(d) Rwanda's Red Cross.
9. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
10. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
(a) Her friend Efua is an amazing dancer.
(b) She finds a large man across the room to be attractive.
(c) She wore the wrong shoes.
(d) Everyone is wearing something green.
11. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
(a) To scold a reporter.
(b) To look for work.
(c) To write a classified ad.
(d) To find her son.
12. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
13. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
(a) If it's because her ancestors were slaves.
(b) If she should write a letter to the editor.
(c) If she's being overly sensitive.
(d) If she can go back to the United States.
14. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
(a) There is a severe staff shortage.
(b) They desperately need volunteers.
(c) Her son is in good spirits and doing well.
(d) Her son has been moved to another hospital.
15. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
(a) Back room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Julian Mayfield?
2. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
3. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
4. What does Maya's son do after his release from the hospital?
5. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)