|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kojo tells Maya that he wants to go to school where?
2. When Maya and her friends talk with a couple who have just arrived from the United States, what do they tell the couple?
(a) The food in Ghana is terrible.
(b) Ghanaian cuisine is the best food they've ever had.
(c) Life in Ghana is hard.
(d) Life in Ghana is easy.
3. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
(a) Her American clothes.
(b) Having no boyfriend.
(c) Having only one child.
(d) Her American accent.
4. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
(a) Baby naming ceremony.
(b) Birthday party.
(c) Graduation ceremony.
(d) Thanksgiving feast.
5. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
(a) A Job.
(b) Rare book.
(d) Honorary degree.
6. Following what happens to Maya's son, Efua Sutherland gives her permission to what?
(a) Blame others.
(c) Scold her son.
7. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
(a) Wipe her tears.
(b) Tie back her hair.
(c) Wave in the air.
(d) Clean a child's face.
8. Who is Julian Mayfield?
(a) Friend of Maya's.
(b) Professor of Maya's son.
(c) Maya's boss.
(d) Maya's son's doctor.
9. What does Maya's son do after his release from the hospital?
(a) Travels to Tanzania.
(b) Gets a job at a local restaurant.
(c) Takes up playing the guitar.
(d) Moves in with Maya.
10. Which of the following best describes Maya?
11. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
(a) New president of Ghana.
(b) Popular celebrity in Cameroon.
(c) Freedom fighter in Rwanda.
(d) Charismatic religious leader in Kenya.
12. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
(a) Rwanda's Red Cross.
(b) Cameroon's Art Association.
(c) Ghana's National Theatre.
(d) Kenya's Volunteer Corps.
13. Why has Kojo's family come from Akwapim to speak with Maya?
(a) To thank her.
(b) To interview her.
(c) To ask her to move to Akwapim.
(d) To meet an American.
14. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
(a) They are terribly shy.
(b) They appear angry at Kojo.
(c) They would rather stay where they are.
(d) There are many people there.
15. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
(a) Contacting the president.
(b) Learning the language.
(c) Finding a car.
(d) Running a campaign.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
2. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
3. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
4. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
5. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)