|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
(a) To work on heritage preservation.
(b) To escape from her overprotective parents.
(c) To leave her abusive husband.
(d) To work with labor unions.
2. At the celebration at Aburi, Maya is given a handkerchief which she uses to:
(a) Clean a child's face.
(b) Wave in the air.
(c) Tie back her hair.
(d) Wipe her tears.
3. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) With compassion.
(c) As friends.
(d) As heroes.
4. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
(a) She wants to hear gossip about the locals.
(b) She would like the hairdresser to meet her son.
(c) She wants her hair done in the fashion of Ghanaian women.
(d) She's terribly lonely and wants a new friend.
5. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
(a) Contacting the president.
(b) Running a campaign.
(c) Finding a car.
(d) Learning the language.
6. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) If she's ever been to Egypt.
(b) To marry him.
(c) Why she left the United States.
(d) To work as his translator.
7. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
(a) Moroccan musical.
(b) Contemporary comedy.
(c) Shakespearean tragedy.
(d) Chinese play.
8. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
(a) South African freedom fighters.
(b) Americans seeking refuge in Africa.
(c) Americans trying to spread democracy.
(d) Africans working to end hunger.
9. What is Maya asked during the celebration in Aburi?
(a) If she would like Sheikhali to tie her green bandanna in the traditional style.
(b) If she would like to dance with Sheikhali.
(c) If she would have dinner with Sheikhali.
(d) To please stop staring at Sheikhali because it's rude.
10. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
(a) Institute of African Studies.
(b) Department of Engineering.
(c) Institue of Global Perspectives.
(d) Department of Oceanographic Studies.
11. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
(a) He is swept to sea and nearly drowns.
(b) He is seriously hurt in a car accident.
(c) He wins a national writing contest.
(d) He is mistaken for a revolutionary rebel.
12. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
(a) The silliness of trying to reach the moon.
(b) The futility of the Vietnam War.
(c) The reaction of blacks to treatment received in America 300 years ago.
(d) The decision by whites to keep the races apart in South Africa.
13. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
(b) Back room.
14. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Ghanaian speaking rudely about what?
(a) Kenyan students.
(b) Ghana's government.
(c) The U.S. President.
(d) Egyptian leaders.
15. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
(a) Listen to musicians.
(c) Eat crepes.
(d) Meet dignitaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
2. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
3. Once she realizes that her son is going to be all right after what happens to him unexpectedly, Maya starts to:
4. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
5. Who is Julian Mayfield?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)