|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 7 (pages 184-208).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Not long after their first meeting, what does Sheikhali ask Maya?
(a) To marry him.
(b) Why she left the United States.
(c) To work as his translator.
(d) If she's ever been to Egypt.
2. After Maya's friends Alice and Vicki tell the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife about life in Ghana, what does the man do?
(a) Applies for work immediately.
(b) Accuses them of lying.
(c) Goes into a depression.
(d) Threatens to leave.
3. Professor J.H. Nketia, a friend of Efua Sutherland, ends up giving Maya what?
(a) A Job.
(b) Rare book.
(d) Honorary degree.
4. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
(a) The villagers stare at her with open, unabashed curiosity.
(b) She is given many chores to do to pay for her meals.
(c) The villagers are wary of her and keep their distance.
(d) She is welcomed warmly and shown much hospitality.
5. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
Short Answer Questions
1. After her important discovery near the end of the book, how much longer does Maya stay in Ghana?
2. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
3. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
4. What does Maya do when Sheikhali is more than two hours late for a date?
5. After living at the YMCA, where does Maya move to temporarily?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)