|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day someone throws the girl in front of Gerda a piece of bread. A guard sees the girl pick up the bread and starts interrogating everyone around her. Why is Gerda beaten by the guard?
2. Why is Abek hurt by Gerda's hug?
3. By 1943, how long has it been since the Germans invaded Poland?
4. At the beginning of the section, how far have they marched?
5. What awful rumors are being spread around the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Newly arriving girls tell Gerda what hopeful news?
2. In order to crush the girls' spirits what does the new camp director tell them?
3. Why is Gerda sad as the girls march away from Helmbrecht?
4. Gerda and her friend's lack of nutrition causes what to happen to many of the girls?
5. Finally, after marching, where do the girls arrive?
6. What does Gerda learn about Abek's family in Sosnowitz?
7. How long is Gerda at the camp?
8. Who is the senior Jewess of Gerda's camp area?
9. Why does Gerda begin to convulse after arriving at the Red Cross hospital?
10. When is Gerda given an identifying number?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerda creates her own propaganda to keep up the girls' spirits. Does this help them carry on? Do you think it was the right thing to do? What other ways could Gerda help the girls to keep them optimistic?
Essay Topic 2
During the war, Gerda meets a character named Frau Kugler. In what way was the character relevant to the story?
a. Why does Frau Kugler help Gerda during the book?
b. Do you feel that this character had a positive or negative effect on Gerda's views of the Germans?
Essay Topic 3
Gerda had received many letters from Abe throughout the story, one of which was a hand written letter from her father.
a. Why did Abek not want to send Gerda the letter from her father?
b. Did the letters from Abek make Gerda happy? Why or Why not?
c. Why does Gerda send Abek a letter agreeing to marry him if she had no intentions of doing so?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)