|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Czech man announce to all of the scared Jewish women?
2. How long does Suze think she and Gerda will be at the new work camp?
3. What does Frau Aufsicht make several girls do for her entertainment?
4. Why is Gerda in despair at the end of Chapter 4?
5. While the Germans lose ground on the Eastern Front, what halts at the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerda honor the memories of those that did not make it out of the Holocaust?
2. Why does Gerda begin to convulse after arriving at the Red Cross hospital?
3. What good news does the American guard give the girls after their marching is complete?
4. When and where are they girls forced to go after arriving at Marzdorf?
5. What does Gerda receive from Abek at Christmas?
6. What date are the girls forced to go to their new camp?
7. What must the girls wear once they have been registered at the camp?
8. Why is Gerda sad as the girls march away from Helmbrecht?
9. When does Gerda meet Frau Kugler?
10. After Ilse's death, what is the next town the girls stop in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several parts of the story where the girls are beaten for eating bread or simply forced to march for days at a time without food:
a. Why would the Germans want to keep them malnourished?
b. What affects does this have on some of the girls?
c. What do they eat instead of bread to help keep them alive?
Essay Topic 2
Gerda had received many letters from Abe throughout the story, one of which was a hand written letter from her father.
a. Why did Abek not want to send Gerda the letter from her father?
b. Did the letters from Abek make Gerda happy? Why or Why not?
c. Why does Gerda send Abek a letter agreeing to marry him if she had no intentions of doing so?
Essay Topic 3
During the war, Gerda meets a character named Frau Kugler. In what way was the character relevant to the story?
a. Why does Frau Kugler help Gerda during the book?
b. Do you feel that this character had a positive or negative effect on Gerda's views of the Germans?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)