|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls pray for every night?
2. What does Gerda fall ill with while in the hospital?
3. After the war, what does Gerda do with her life?
4. What does Kurt wish for Gerda's future?
5. What happens to girls that lag behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Gerda when she goes to see Burnberg for the first time?
2. When and where are they girls forced to go after arriving at Marzdorf?
3. How does Gerda acquire poison?
4. What date are the girls forced to go to their new camp?
5. How long is Gerda at the camp?
6. How does Gerda say goodbye to Abek?
7. On May 6, 1949, Frau Kugler announces that the girls will be moved where?
8. What does Gerda learn about Abek's family in Sosnowitz?
9. How does Gerda honor the memories of those that did not make it out of the Holocaust?
10. When is Gerda given an identifying number?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerda is 15-years-old when the Nazis are invading her small town of Belitz, Poland. She is 21 when the war comes to an end. Compare and contrast the life of a typical girl who is 15-21 years old to the life that Gerda is forced to live.
a. What experiences would a 15-21 year old girl have (specifically)?
b. How does being in a concentration camp affect her physically and emotionally?
c. How does being separated from her family change the way she develops?
Essay Topic 2
There are several parts of the story where the girls are beaten for eating bread or simply forced to march for days at a time without food:
a. Why would the Germans want to keep them malnourished?
b. What affects does this have on some of the girls?
c. What do they eat instead of bread to help keep them alive?
Essay Topic 3
Gerda had received many letters from Abe throughout the story, one of which was a hand written letter from her father.
a. Why did Abek not want to send Gerda the letter from her father?
b. Did the letters from Abek make Gerda happy? Why or Why not?
c. Why does Gerda send Abek a letter agreeing to marry him if she had no intentions of doing so?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)