|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some Jewish parents do to avoid Auschwitz?
(a) Poison themselves and their families.
(b) Go to Russia.
(c) Kill Nazis in protest.
(d) Shoot themselves in the head.
2. What does Kurt wish for Gerda's future?
(a) She find her family and reunite with them.
(b) He wants to marry her and live in America.
(c) For her to live a happy and healthy life.
(d) She move back home and start over.
3. What words describe Frau Kugler?
(a) Stupid and inept.
(b) Secretly kind.
(d) Grim and militaristic.
4. What is Gerda's new work assignment?
(a) She has to learn to weave.
(b) She count jewelry.
(c) She must dig graves.
(d) She works in accounting.
5. What does Gerda have to completely relearn?
(a) How to breathe.
(b) Moving her feet.
(c) How to walk.
(d) Moving her arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does the Camp Director tell the girls to burst their hope?
2. What is Gerda now resigned to?
3. What are the rumors surrounding the camp about Poland?
4. What does Kurt send to Gerda while she is in the hospital?
5. What does Gerda fall ill with while in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Ilse's death, what is the next town the girls stop in?
2. What good news does the American guard give the girls after their marching is complete?
3. How does Gerda honor the memories of those that did not make it out of the Holocaust?
4. In order to crush the girls' spirits what does the new camp director tell them?
5. Why does Gerda begin to convulse after arriving at the Red Cross hospital?
6. How does Gerda acquire poison?
7. Who is the senior Jewess of Gerda's camp area?
8. What does Gerda learn to guard as time goes on?
9. When does Gerda meet Frau Kugler?
10. What is the name of the kind US soldier that helps to liberate Gerda?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)