|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sets up a hospital for the girls to recover?
(a) The Czech Republic hospitals.
(b) The American Blue Cross.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) English Soliders Hospital.
2. What does Gerda create to keep all of the girls' spirits up?
(a) She creates propaganda and plays.
(b) Drawings of happy families.
(c) Imaginary characters.
(d) Music to uplift their spirits.
3. What awful rumors are being spread around the camp?
(a) Girls are being forced to sleep with guards.
(b) Jewish girls are raped every day.
(c) Jewish men are being castrated.
(d) Jewish girls are being sterilized.
4. How does Abek look when Gerda is finally allowed to see him?
(b) Very happy because he is near her.
(c) Depressed and sad.
(d) Pale and weak.
5. What is the most dangerous part of the new camp, Grunberg?
(a) The shower/gas chamber.
(b) The barracks; guards attempt to sexually assault the girls.
(c) Spinnerei (the spinning room).
(d) The fields; prisoners are randomly shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the girls that are still alive end their journey?
2. As they arrive at the new camp, an intimidating woman named Frau Aufsicht, holds a frightening __________.
3. What is different about the new camp?
4. What does Gerda do to maintain her sanity?
5. As the girls approach ________, bombs are falling on the city.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerda honor the memories of those that did not make it out of the Holocaust?
2. When does Gerda meet Frau Kugler?
3. What does Gerda learn to guard as time goes on?
4. Why is Gerda sad as the girls march away from Helmbrecht?
5. When and where are they girls forced to go after arriving at Marzdorf?
6. When they are forced to move, where must the girls go and must they travel there?
7. What is the name of the kind US soldier that helps to liberate Gerda?
8. Newly arriving girls tell Gerda what hopeful news?
9. What has Abek given up to be with Gerda?
10. How long is Gerda at the camp?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)