|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Gerda turn on May 8th?
2. While the Germans lose ground on the Eastern Front, what privileges do the women lose?
(a) Food ration privledges.
(b) The right to showers.
(c) The ability to receive mail.
(d) The ability to wear clothes.
3. What is Gerda now resigned to?
(a) Never having children.
(b) Dying in the camp.
(c) Spending time with Abek.
(d) Marrying Abek even though she does not love him.
4. What does Gerda fall ill with while in the hospital?
(a) typhus and pneumonia.
5. What words describe Frau Kugler?
(b) Secretly kind.
(c) Grim and militaristic.
(d) Stupid and inept.
6. Where is Kurt stationed so he can be closer to Gerda?
7. What can Gerda not bear to do?
(a) Continue to walk.
(b) She can't bear to bury Ilse.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Think positive thoughts.
8. How often are the girls allowed to take showers?
(a) Every other month.
(b) Every two weeks.
(d) Every other day.
9. What happens to Gerda after Christmas?
(a) She is able to see her mother again.
(b) She tries to escape.
(c) She gets a new job at the camp.
(d) She becomes very ill.
10. What are the rumors surrounding the male SS guards?
(a) They are here to execute the girls.
(b) The prisoners will be used to sexually satisfy the men.
(c) The men wish to beat the female prisoners.
(d) They have come to take over the camp.
11. What do the girls overhear that makes them excited?
(a) The SS is being disbanded.
(b) Hitler is dead.
(c) Hitler committed suicide
(d) Hitler has decided to release the Jews.
12. What hard work group is Gerda assigned to at the new camp?
(a) Flak detail.
(b) Construction duty.
(c) Weaving classes.
(d) Sewing instruction.
13. After the war, what does Gerda do with her life?
(a) She becomes an author.
(b) She becomes a housewife and a mother.
(c) She becomes a lecturer and an author.
(d) She becomes a teacher.
14. What lie does the Camp Director tell the girls to burst their hope?
(a) Hilter is appearing on television.
(b) The Nazis and Italians have joined forces.
(c) Franklin Delano Roosevelt has died.
(d) The Americans have been conquered.
15. One day someone throws the girl in front of Gerda a piece of bread. A guard sees the girl pick up the bread and starts interrogating everyone around her. Why is Gerda beaten by the guard?
(a) Gerda kicks the guard for threatening the girl.
(b) She is not beaten.
(c) Because Gerda does not know who threw the bread.
(d) Gerda stands up for the girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs Berger slap one of the girls?
2. Why is Gerda in despair at the end of Chapter 4?
3. According to Meister Zimmer, what happens to prisoners who do not work well?
4. Why does Gerda begin to convulse in the hospital?
5. What do the girls pray for every night?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)