|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abek look when Gerda is finally allowed to see him?
(a) Depressed and sad.
(b) Pale and weak.
(c) Very happy because he is near her.
2. What do the girls eat to stay alive as they sleep outside of the church?
(a) Nothing. They starve.
(b) Other dead bodies.
3. What did Abek give up to be closer to Gerda?
(b) A job of portrait painting at a nearby camp.
(c) A clerk in the accounting section.
(d) Hospital attendant.
4. The women pass many German cities and finally arrive at _________.
(b) Camp Helmbrechts.
5. What are the rumors surrounding the camp about Poland?
(a) The war will soon be over.
(b) The Russians have taken control of Poland.
(c) America has been taken over by the Germans.
(d) The Nazis have won.
6. Two weeks following the arrival of the male soldiers, what is happening around the camp?
(a) Bombs are being dropped over the camp more and more.
(b) Guards are disappearing
(c) Air-raid alarms are increasing.
(d) Girls are disappearing.
7. What does Gerda do to maintain her sanity?
(a) Creates characters and plays in her head.
(b) Thinks of distant lands and places.
(c) Thinks of her family and future.
(d) Talks to other girls in the camp.
8. What do a frightened Gerda and Ilse pass on their medical exams?
(a) Physical test.
(b) Bedbug, and other pest tests.
(c) Their x-ray tests.
(d) Pneumonia and TB.
9. Where are the girls finally allowed to dry their clothes and get warm food?
(b) Camp Christianstadt.
10. What is Gerda now resigned to?
(a) Marrying Abek even though she does not love him.
(b) Dying in the camp.
(c) Spending time with Abek.
(d) Never having children.
11. At the beginning of the section, how far have they marched?
(a) 50 kilometers.
(b) 55 kilometers.
(c) 500 kilometers.
(d) 555 kilometers.
12. What is different about the new camp?
(a) The guards are nicer.
(b) The guards are meaner.
(c) It is cleaner and nicer than Dulag.
(d) It is very dirty.
13. One day someone throws the girl in front of Gerda a piece of bread. A guard sees the girl pick up the bread and starts interrogating everyone around her. Why is Gerda beaten by the guard?
(a) She is not beaten.
(b) Gerda kicks the guard for threatening the girl.
(c) Because Gerda does not know who threw the bread.
(d) Gerda stands up for the girl.
14. What number is Gerda given by the male SS guards?
15. How long does Suze think she and Gerda will be at the new work camp?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three months.
(d) A year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerda have to completely relearn?
2. What kinds of letters does Gerda get from Abek?
3. What does the Czech man announce to all of the scared Jewish women?
4. Who sets up a hospital for the girls to recover?
5. At this point, as they march through the snow, what is the collective thought among the girls as the days pass by?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)