|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gerda spend her "free time" at the new camp?
(a) Creating plays.
(b) Meeting new girls at the camp.
(c) Wiriting letters to Abek.
(d) Thinking about her family.
2. While the Germans lose ground on the Eastern Front, what privileges do the women lose?
(a) The right to showers.
(b) The ability to wear clothes.
(c) Food ration privledges.
(d) The ability to receive mail.
3. What happens to Gerda after Christmas?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) She tries to escape.
(c) She is able to see her mother again.
(d) She gets a new job at the camp.
4. Luckily for Gerda and Ilse, they are selected to go to what new camp?
5. What are the rumors surrounding the camp about Poland?
(a) The war will soon be over.
(b) The Russians have taken control of Poland.
(c) America has been taken over by the Germans.
(d) The Nazis have won.
6. What kind of hope does Frau Kugler give Gerda?
(a) The hope that not all Germans are cruel.
(b) That the war will end soon.
(c) That other Germans will be kind to her.
(d) That she will see Gerda again.
7. What is Gerda's new work assignment?
(a) She must dig graves.
(b) She works in accounting.
(c) She count jewelry.
(d) She has to learn to weave.
8. How does Abek look when Gerda is finally allowed to see him?
(a) Very happy because he is near her.
(b) Pale and weak.
(d) Depressed and sad.
9. What is Malvine Berger's role in the camp?
(a) She is the senior Jewess at the camp.
(b) She is a prisoner like the other women.
(c) She is a cruel work mistress.
(d) She comforts all the girls.
10. As time goes by, Abek's state of mind is _____________.
(a) loosing its hold on reality.
(b) descending into deep depression.
(c) gathering strength.
(d) obsessed with Gerda.
11. What are the doctors concerned they will have to do if Gerda does not get better?
(a) Damaged lungs.
(b) Inability to have children.
(c) Amputate her feet.
(d) Amputate her arms.
12. What does Kurt wish for Gerda's future?
(a) She move back home and start over.
(b) For her to live a happy and healthy life.
(c) She find her family and reunite with them.
(d) He wants to marry her and live in America.
13. What number is Gerda given by the male SS guards?
14. As the girls approach ________, bombs are falling on the city.
15. What did Abek give up to be closer to Gerda?
(a) A job of portrait painting at a nearby camp.
(b) Hospital attendant.
(c) A clerk in the accounting section.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets up a hospital for the girls to recover?
2. At the new camp, what are the girls now forced to wear?
3. Why does Gerda agree to marry Abek if she does not love him?
4. Why does Frau Kugler make a very sick Gerda go to work one day?
5. What does the Czech man announce to all of the scared Jewish women?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)