|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the occupants of the Ghetto fear they will be sent?
(a) To central Germany.
(b) To be homeless.
(c) Auschwitz or other labor camps.
(d) To Russia.
2. How does Gerda console herself?
(a) She buys herself a treat.
(b) She thinks about the good times.
(c) She cannot console herself at all.
(d) She writes a poem.
3. How does the family get food?
(a) They can only buy it on the black market.
(b) They go to the store.
(c) A friend brings them food every week.
(d) They still have rations for the government.
4. What is Gerda sorry about missing?
(a) All of her friends.
(b) The life that a woman her age should have.
(c) An experience with a boy.
(d) Her brother's presence.
5. Why does the winter seem to be so long?
(a) She never knows if she will survive to the next day.
(b) Gerda wondering where her family is.
(c) This year it is a harsh, cold long winter.
(d) Gerda feels scared about what is to come.
6. What are the rumors surrounding the men that leave?
(a) Thay are given paid government jobs.
(b) They are forced to create new families somewhere else.
(c) They are slaughtered in the woods.
(d) They are taken to concentration camps.
7. Where did Gerda and Helene vacation the previous summer before the invasion?
8. How does Gerda turn down the offer?
(a) She says the officers at her camp will not let her stay.
(b) She is dragged back to her camp.
(c) She takes the offer.
(d) She insults Abek's mother.
9. What happens to Erika's mother and little brother?
(a) They flee to America.
(b) They are taken to the middle of town square and killed.
(c) They are sent hastily to a work camp.
(d) They are resuced by Allied forces.
10. What does Arthur send his parents that makes them happy?
(c) He can get nothing through to them.
(d) Letters & money.
11. Who takes Gerda to see Abek's family?
(a) Her friend, Isle.
(b) Mrs. Berger.
(c) The Militz official.
(d) Abek's sister.
12. What has recently been built just outside of Gerda's hometown?
(a) A church.
(b) A new grocery store.
(c) A work camp for women.
(d) A young boys camp.
13. Which of the Jewish population is virtually gone?
(b) young women.
(d) young men.
14. What opportunities do Abek's sisters offer Gerda?
(a) The chance to flee to America.
(b) A post as a teacher.
(c) An opportunity to go to Russia.
(d) A chance to work in the local sewing workhouse.
15. What news crushes Gerda and her family's hopes and dreams?
(a) Arthur was injured in an attack.
(b) Julius has died.
(c) Paris has been invaded by the Nazis.
(d) The family dog has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Helene forced to go as the chapter ends?
2. What happens to many Jews after Christmas in Poland?
3. Who does Gerda keep her fears away from?
4. Where must Jewish women register to work?
5. What young man does Gerda meet in this chapter and why does he visit her every day?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)