|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gerda lose Arthur's present?
2. What news does Gerda's family receive in mid October?
(a) The Germans have been defeated.
(b) Their family has been killed.
(c) The allies do not wish to help them.
(d) All men between fifteen and sixty must register.
3. Why does the winter seem to be so long?
(a) Gerda feels scared about what is to come.
(b) Gerda wondering where her family is.
(c) She never knows if she will survive to the next day.
(d) This year it is a harsh, cold long winter.
4. Who does Gerda make sure to say goodbye to before she leaves.
5. How does the family get food?
(a) They still have rations for the government.
(b) A friend brings them food every week.
(c) They go to the store.
(d) They can only buy it on the black market.
6. What are the rumors surrounding the men that leave?
(a) They are taken to concentration camps.
(b) They are slaughtered in the woods.
(c) Thay are given paid government jobs.
(d) They are forced to create new families somewhere else.
7. Why didn't the Weissmanns get out of Poland sooner?
(a) Gerda's father was recovering from a heart attack.
(b) Gerda's mother was pregnant and it would have been too hard on her.
(c) Gerda refused to leave.
(d) Gerda's mother was extremely sick.
8. Why does a Nazi officer threaten Gerda in their home?
(a) She refused him food.
(b) He is trying to proposition her.
(c) She insulted him.
(d) She will not give up the location of her father.
9. Who does Gerda keep her fears away from?
(b) Her parents.
10. What type of job is Gerda given in the work camp? Does she enjoy the work?
(a) Gerda works in the garden; yes.
(b) Desposes of trash; no.
(c) She sews clothing; yes.
(d) She cooks for the camp; no.
11. What has recently been built just outside of Gerda's hometown?
(a) A work camp for women.
(b) A new grocery store.
(c) A church.
(d) A young boys camp.
12. Why does this person admire Gerda?
(a) She is extremely smart.
(b) She is a pretty girl.
(c) She takes chances.
(d) She shows bravery.
13. What do Gerda and Helene do to make money?
(a) Make buttons.
(b) Knit apparel.
(c) Make hats.
(d) Create paintings.
14. What are Jews forced to give up after the invasion?
(a) all valuables including jewelry, cars and gold.
(c) their pets.
(d) their children.
15. What do non-Jewish Polish neighbors shout as the Germans enter the city?
(a) "Thank you for saving us."
(b) "We Welcome You."
(c) "Go away."
(d) "Heil Hitler."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arthur give to Gerda before he leaves?
2. What is Gerda's new destiny?
3. What does Arthur say in his letter?
4. How do the Weissmanns' non-Jewish neighbors react to the occupation?
5. What must Jews now wear?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)