|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Arthur?
2. What type of job is Gerda given in the work camp? Does she enjoy the work?
(a) Desposes of trash; no.
(b) She cooks for the camp; no.
(c) Gerda works in the garden; yes.
(d) She sews clothing; yes.
3. How do Gerda's parents see Abek's advances towards Gerda?
(a) They would very much like Gerda to marry Abek.
(b) They detest Abek.
(d) They like Abek, but would not force Gerda to marry him.
4. Who takes Gerda to see Abek's family?
(a) Her friend, Isle.
(b) The Militz official.
(c) Abek's sister.
(d) Mrs. Berger.
5. Why is Gerda's family concerned about the occupation of their town?
(a) They are concerned because they are of Jewish heritage.
(b) They fear the wrath of the Russians.
(c) They think all of their money will be stolen.
(d) They do not have money to pay off their creditors.
6. What does the family learn about Arthur?
(a) All his friends have been killed.
(b) He is being held in Poland.
(c) He is breaking up with his girlfriend.
(d) He is safe in Russia.
7. What is the family told is happening to Arthur's letters?
(a) Arthur has sent no letters.
(b) They were being kept by his girlfriend.
(c) They are being burned.
(d) They are delayed due to censors.
8. What do Gerda and Helene conceal from Julius?
(a) That war will be soon.
(b) Arthur's fighting.
(c) Gerda's pregnancy.
(d) Helene's infidelity.
9. What young man does Gerda meet in this chapter and why does he visit her every day?
(a) Arthur Jacobson; He is courting Gerda.
(b) John Johnson; He needs helps with homework.
(c) Abek Feigenblatt; He is courting Gerda.
(d) Matthew Jacobson; He likes Gerda.
10. What is Gerda sorry about missing?
(a) The life that a woman her age should have.
(b) An experience with a boy.
(c) Her brother's presence.
(d) All of her friends.
11. Where do the occupants of the Ghetto fear they will be sent?
(a) To be homeless.
(b) To central Germany.
(c) Auschwitz or other labor camps.
(d) To Russia.
12. Why do Gerda and her friend spend so much time in the town's graveyard?
(a) They visit the graves of their dead friends.
(b) It is the only outside space not taken over by the Nazis.
(c) They know they will soon be dead.
(d) They dance on the graves of Germans to defy the Nazis.
13. Where must Jewish men register to work?
14. Soon after the invasion, what do all townspeople have to do?
(a) They must give up all their food.
(b) Get tattoos of their names.
(c) They must register with the Nazis.
(d) They are not pressured to do anything.
15. What opportunities do Abek's sisters offer Gerda?
(a) The chance to flee to America.
(b) A post as a teacher.
(c) An opportunity to go to Russia.
(d) A chance to work in the local sewing workhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has recently been built just outside of Gerda's hometown?
2. Why does the winter seem to be so long?
3. Who does Gerda make sure to say goodbye to before she leaves.
4. How do the Weissmanns' non-Jewish neighbors react to the occupation?
5. What does Arthur refuse Gerda?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)