|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Gerda's family receive in mid October?
(a) All men between fifteen and sixty must register.
(b) The Germans have been defeated.
(c) The allies do not wish to help them.
(d) Their family has been killed.
2. Who does Gerda make sure to say goodbye to before she leaves.
3. What do Gerda and Helene do to make money?
(a) Knit apparel.
(b) Create paintings.
(c) Make hats.
(d) Make buttons.
4. What rumors were prevalent while Gerda was on vacation?
(a) Jews will be hunted down and put into the concentration camps.
(b) War will start soon.
(c) The war will soon be over!
(d) She was pregnant.
5. What news crushes Gerda and her family's hopes and dreams?
(a) Arthur was injured in an attack.
(b) Paris has been invaded by the Nazis.
(c) Julius has died.
(d) The family dog has died.
6. Why is she angry with this person?
(a) She tells her she is not pretty.
(b) He insults her by making an advance.
(c) They tease her and call her names.
(d) He tells her Arthur will never come back.
7. What is Gerda's mother's name?
8. What is wrong with Helene?
(a) She wishes for the Germans to leave her country.
(b) She misses her healthy husband.
(c) She feels sorry for herself.
(d) She is grieving Arthur.
9. Why does the winter seem to be so long?
(a) Gerda feels scared about what is to come.
(b) She never knows if she will survive to the next day.
(c) Gerda wondering where her family is.
(d) This year it is a harsh, cold long winter.
10. What is given to Gerda so that she can get out of the country?
(a) Special identification.
(b) She is unable to get out of the country.
(c) A different outfit.
(d) A car.
11. Who does Gerda keep her fears away from?
(c) Her parents.
12. What are the rumors surrounding the men that leave?
(a) They are slaughtered in the woods.
(b) They are forced to create new families somewhere else.
(c) They are taken to concentration camps.
(d) Thay are given paid government jobs.
13. What does the family learn about Arthur?
(a) He is being held in Poland.
(b) He is safe in Russia.
(c) He is breaking up with his girlfriend.
(d) All his friends have been killed.
14. What type of waltzes did they listen to on the trip?
15. Why does a Nazi officer threaten Gerda in their home?
(a) She refused him food.
(b) She insulted him.
(c) She will not give up the location of her father.
(d) He is trying to proposition her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arthur give to Gerda before he leaves?
2. What empowers Gerda now that her parents are gone?
3. Why does Gerda's mother keep the note that warns the family of Poland's impending doom?
4. What type of job is Gerda given in the work camp? Does she enjoy the work?
5. What must Jews now wear?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)