|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Gerda and her family live?
(a) Czech Republic.
2. How does Gerda console herself?
(a) She writes a poem.
(b) She cannot console herself at all.
(c) She buys herself a treat.
(d) She thinks about the good times.
3. What does Julius make Gerda promise?
(a) Not to commit suicide.
(b) To go look for her brother.
(c) To not marry someone she doesn't love.
(d) To stay at home with him and Helene.
4. What does Arthur give to Gerda before he leaves?
(a) a necklace.
(b) some money.
(c) his love.
(d) a piece of glass.
5. What is Gerda's new destiny?
(a) She will marry Abek.
(b) She will soon be transported to another camp.
(c) She will reunite with her family.
(d) The war is over and she will be free.
6. How does Gerda's father try to help his children?
(a) He figures out a way to secure his childrens passage to America.
(b) He uses his high power job to get them tickets out of Germany.
(c) He gives his children weapons to protect themselves.
(d) He asks his daughter and son to leave with family friends.
7. What do Gerda and Helene do to make money?
(a) Make buttons.
(b) Make hats.
(c) Knit apparel.
(d) Create paintings.
8. What are Jews forced to give up after the invasion?
(b) all valuables including jewelry, cars and gold.
(c) their children.
(d) their pets.
9. What is Gerda particularly stunned about?
(a) The quickness of the invasion.
(b) She feels numb and is stunned at nothing.
(c) That she feels happy the Nazis have come.
(d) The cowardice of the Polish people.
10. Gerda longs for what season to come and make her feel better?
11. Where is Helene forced to go as the chapter ends?
(a) To go to Russia.
(b) Home to take care of her husband.
(c) To a death camp.
(d) To march into the woods.
12. In the beginning of the novel, who is invading Gerda's hometown?
(a) The Nazis.
(b) French soldiers.
(c) American navy seals.
(d) Russian soldiers.
13. In the Spring of 1941, where are all Jews in Gerda's town forced to go?
(a) Trade School.
(c) The Jewish Ghettos.
(d) Work Camps.
14. During her errands, who does Gerda get angry with?
(a) The baker.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The shoemaker.
(d) Her father.
15. Why is Gerda's family concerned about the occupation of their town?
(a) They fear the wrath of the Russians.
(b) They are concerned because they are of Jewish heritage.
(c) They think all of their money will be stolen.
(d) They do not have money to pay off their creditors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family learn about Arthur?
2. Why do Gerda's brother and father hide in a closet?
3. How do Gerda's parents see Abek's advances towards Gerda?
4. What do Mr. Pipersberg and Gerda's father have in common?
5. What news does Gerda's family receive in mid October?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)