Part 1: Chapters 1 and 2
1. What time period does the book take place?
(a) From 1921-1939.
(b) From 1866 - 1890.
(c) From 1945-1965.
(d) From 1939-1945.
2. How old is Gerda when the book begins?
3. Where do Gerda and her family live?
(c) Czech Republic.
4. In the beginning of the novel, who is invading Gerda's hometown?
(a) The Nazis.
(b) French soldiers.
(c) Russian soldiers.
(d) American navy seals.
5. Why didn't the Weissmanns get out of Poland sooner?
(a) Gerda refused to leave.
(b) Gerda's mother was extremely sick.
(c) Gerda's father was recovering from a heart attack.
(d) Gerda's mother was pregnant and it would have been too hard on her.
6. How does Gerda's father try to help his children?
(a) He asks his daughter and son to leave with family friends.
(b) He uses his high power job to get them tickets out of Germany.
(c) He gives his children weapons to protect themselves.
(d) He figures out a way to secure his childrens passage to America.
This section contains 5,058 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)