Part 1: Chapters 1 and 2
• ALL BUT MY LIFE is Gerda Weissmann Klein's story of survival in Nazi inhabited Germany during World War II.
• As the Germans enter Poland, Gerda's neighbors cheer.
• She cannot understand why no one is standing up for the Jews.
• It only takes the Nazis 18 days to conquer Poland.
• There are stories of Jewish men being led off by Nazis and then killed.
• Arthur, Gerda's brother is extremely depressed and goes to visit his girlfriend. At her house, he finds her family dog slain and laying on their front porch.
• It is a harbinger of what is to come.
Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4
• In October, the family learns that all men between 16 and 50 must register.
• The family tries not to believe the rumors that many men are killed in the work camp established outside of town.
• Arthur must leave for the camp. He gives Gerda a piece...
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)