|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must she admit to the Ukrainians who find her hide out?
(a) She has stolen a lot of food from them.
(b) She is Jewish.
(c) She is hiding other Jews.
(d) She is not Ukrainian.
2. Once back at Buczacz, why don't Jews speak to each other?
(a) They could not openly share their grief or they felt guilt about surviving.
(b) They want to forget the war happened.
(c) They are scared to gather together.
(d) They are overcome with grief.
3. Where does Benjamin wish to live now that the war is over?
(a) He wants to move to Palestine.
(b) He hopes to go to Spain.
(c) He wants to go to America.
(d) Israel seems like a good idea.
4. While in prison, how are they treated?
(a) Very harshly, they are starved and tortured for information.
(b) They are treated like other prisoners.
(c) They are given food and clothing, but tortured.
5. Why is Alicia given thousands of rubles?
(a) An important figure in the Ukrainian government falls in love with Alicia.
(b) She gains an admirer.
(c) The Jews of Chernovtsy are thankful that she kept their secrets of the black market.
(d) She wins the lottery in Chernovtsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. After seeing her old friend, where do Bronia and Alicia go?
2. Several days later, where does Alicia decide to visit?
3. While working with the orphans and Mr. Sharf, who does Alicia meet?
4. While in the Alps, where does she stay?
5. Why were the Poles having sympathy for the Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alicia's tooth ache lead Alicia to reconnect with family?
2. How does Alicia take the news that Milek has died?
3. How does Alicia escape?
4. What hopeful news about the resistance does Alicia hear?
5. To make Benjamin feel better, what does Alicia tell him?
6. How is mother killed?
7. After she finds Bella, what does Alicia decide to do with her life?
8. How have the Ukrainians made life for the Jews and Poles very difficult.
9. Although Alicia becomes sick and is forced to stay at the Hotel Straubinger, how does she feel?
10. For her loyalty and bravery, how is Alicia rewarded?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)