|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Moshe returns from school in Moscow?
(a) He is put in prison.
(b) He is starved.
(c) He is returned to his family.
(d) He is tortured.
2. After Zach joins the resistance, what happens to him?
(a) He is caught and then killed for his participation.
(b) He is sent to a death camp.
(c) He is forced to kill his younger brother.
(d) He is forced to leave his hometown.
3. What is Alicia's friend Milek now involved in?
(a) He is working to smuggle Jewish people out of Poland.
(b) The Nazis.
(c) Engaged in resistance activities.
(d) He steals food for Jewish people who cannot get out of their homes.
4. When Moshe comes home, how does he appear?
(a) Sad and starved.
(b) Happy and exicted.
(c) Crazed and angry.
5. What village is Alicia able to find work in during the winter?
6. What is Alicia's first experience with antisemitism?
(a) When her father's factory was burned to the ground because he was Jewish.
(b) When her brother Zachary is beaten by five Polish boys.
(c) When her mother was accosted in the town square.
(d) When she was taunted at school by a group of Gentile students.
7. What is the name of the new ghetto?
8. Why is Alicia accidentally taken to a concentration camp?
(a) Because she is mistaken for her mother.
(b) She runs after her mother and is then forced to go with her to the camp.
(c) The Nazis think she is a part of the resistance.
(d) She was rounded up with a group of young girls.
9. During this time, how did Alicia and her mother find food to eat?
(a) They gathered small rodents on the farms.
(b) There was food provided for the workers by their employers.
(c) All of the beekeeper's houseguests would contribute food.
(d) They were given food by a boy from a rich family.
10. After the Nazis leave Alicia's village in Chapter 7, what has happened in the ghetto?
(a) They attempt to go back to their home.
(b) It is burned to the ground.
(c) The Jews can come out of hiding.
(d) Over two thousand residents of the ghetto have been murdered.
11. What becomes Moshe's fate at this location?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is returned to his family.
(c) He dies in prison of food poisoning.
(d) He is forced to go to a work camp.
12. What does Alicia refuse to reveal to her mother?
(a) That her father is definitely dead.
(b) That she is sick with the flu.
(c) That all her brothers have died.
(d) That all of her family has died.
13. Where did Alicia and her family hide when the Nazis come to the ghetto in chapter 7?
(a) In a ravine in the woods.
(b) In a bunker.
(c) In a makeshift shelter beyond the back wall of the ghetto.
14. How many Jewish men are forced to go to the police station?
15. What do the stories Alicia tells in Chapter 8 reinforce?
(a) Suffering of the ghetto Jews.
(b) The tense relations between Ukrainians and Jews.
(c) The Nazi's cruelty.
(d) Suffering of the Poles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Alicia placed after being caught?
2. Because she cannot stay in Buczacz, what hiding place does she find?
3. What does this name mean?
4. Why doesn't Alicia accept the invitation to go to the mountains?
5. To provide for herself and her mother, what must Alicia do?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)