|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What village is Alicia able to find work in during the winter?
2. Where aren't Jews allowed?
(a) In certain streets and nieghborhoods.
(b) In gardens.
(c) At public gatherings.
(d) In churches.
3. Why was a villager cast out by his peers when he had an epileptic fit?
(a) They thought he was posessed by demons.
(b) They thought he was a pervert.
(c) Everyone is actually very supportive of him.
(d) They thought what he had was contagious.
4. Where did Alicia and her family hide when the Nazis come to the ghetto in chapter 7?
(b) In a ravine in the woods.
(c) In a bunker.
(d) In a makeshift shelter beyond the back wall of the ghetto.
5. At the end of the section, what has happened to the Jurman family?
(a) They send all of their males to America.
(b) They have lost all their money.
(c) They have escaped Poland.
(d) They are all forced to go to camps.
6. What language were children now forced to speak?
7. At the end of Chapter 13, how are Alicia and her mother able to gain shelter from?
(a) A milk farmer.
(b) A beekeeper.
(c) A banker.
(d) A farmer.
8. When Alicia is finally healthy enough to get home, what does she find?
(a) She finds her mother and Herzl sick with typhoid.
(b) She finds that Herzl has died.
(c) One of her friends, Milek, has run away.
(d) Her village has been burned to the ground.
9. Why did the family go without food for periods of time?
(a) So that Alicia's mother's family could have food.
(b) So they could send food to Bunio.
(c) So the youngest child could eat.
(d) So they could trade it to sell.
10. After the Nazis leave Alicia's village in Chapter 7, what has happened in the ghetto?
(a) It is burned to the ground.
(b) The Jews can come out of hiding.
(c) Over two thousand residents of the ghetto have been murdered.
(d) They attempt to go back to their home.
11. How does Alicia obtain food and winter clothes?
(a) From Slavka.
(b) From a kind farmer who is getting rid of food.
(c) From Wujciu.
(d) From the food storages in Ukraine.
12. When was Bella's husband taken by the Russians?
13. When Moshe comes home, how does he appear?
(a) Crazed and angry.
(c) Sad and starved.
(d) Happy and exicted.
14. Why do the Germans soon arrive in Alicia's town?
(a) They want to take over Poland.
(b) They are breaking the treaty with the Russians.
(c) The agreement with the Russians has ended.
(d) They want to assist the Ukrainians in getting back at the Poles.
15. What is Alicia's friend Milek now involved in?
(a) The Nazis.
(b) Engaged in resistance activities.
(c) He steals food for Jewish people who cannot get out of their homes.
(d) He is working to smuggle Jewish people out of Poland.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Alicia's town, how were the Russian soldiers?
2. How does Alicia disguise herself as a worker?
3. What is the name of the new ghetto?
4. Who finds Alicia in this hiding place?
5. Where were boys encouraged to go by Russians?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)