|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why wasn't Alicia's section of Poland invaded sooner?
(a) The Brits were protecting it.
(b) The Russians had control of some of Poland.
(c) Poland has a very strong army.
(d) The Poles had an agreement with the Russians to protect them.
2. What were the Jews proud of?
(a) Their heritage and community.
(b) Their heritage.
(c) Their money.
(d) Their community.
3. After Zach joins the resistance, what happens to him?
(a) He is forced to kill his younger brother.
(b) He is caught and then killed for his participation.
(c) He is sent to a death camp.
(d) He is forced to leave his hometown.
4. To provide for herself and her mother, what must Alicia do?
(a) She and her mother con people into giving them money.
(b) Become a peasant.
(c) She steals from farms.
(d) Pretend that she is royalty.
5. In what year does Alicia hear that the Germans might be invading Poland?
6. Where were people who committed unnamed crimes sent?
7. While looking for her family, what does she find?
(a) Her mother working in the fields.
(b) Corn fields.
(c) Jewish people hiding in the fields.
(d) Peasants working a field of wheat.
8. Where had Alicia's new friend, Bella, come from?
(b) The city.
(c) The countryside.
9. Why is Alicia caught by the Gestapo?
(a) Alicia chooses to stay out in the open with two babies and nurse them.
(b) She is crying when they come to look for her.
(c) She is not caught.
(d) She runs outside to warn others that the Nazis are coming.
10. How does Alicia disguise herself as a worker?
(a) She wears peasant clothing.
(b) She is the best worker she can be.
(c) She is fluent in Russian and Ukrainian.
(d) She takes on peasant mannerisms.
11. What is the name of the new ghetto?
12. What did Alicia's family have time to do?
(a) Escape from the ghetto.
(b) Make food to bring with them.
(c) Move their posessions into a room of a friend's home.
(d) Get all of the boys together and send them away.
13. What happens when Moshe returns from school in Moscow?
(a) He is returned to his family.
(b) He is put in prison.
(c) He is starved.
(d) He is tortured.
14. Why doesn't Alicia accept the invitation to go to the mountains?
(a) She thinks her brother should go instead of her.
(b) She has bad allergies and will be miserable there.
(c) She cannot leave her mother and remaining brothers.
(d) She fears that the Nazis will go there next.
15. What is the family's new winter hiding place called?
(a) A ravine.
(b) A bunker.
(c) A shelter.
(d) A shack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alicia give up her radishes?
2. Over time, what happens because of the occupation?
3. After being rescued by Milek, when Alicia wakes, where does she find herself?
4. What was Bella's father's occupation?
5. Because she cannot stay in Buczacz, what hiding place does she find?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)