|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does the author give?
(a) The author gives a summary of Ukrainian and Polish relations.
(b) The author explains Alicia's background.
(c) The author discusses how Milek got involved in the resistance movement.
(d) Information on her youngest brother's whereabouts.
2. While visiting friends, what happens to Alicia?
(a) She is forced into a boxcar for transport.
(b) She is forced to work the fields in her mother's place.
(c) She is sent on a death march.
(d) She is forced to go to a death camp.
3. What happens to the Jews that go to a synagogue?
(a) They are sent to prison.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are punished by
(d) They are allowed to pray.
4. What does Alicia refuse to reveal to her mother?
(a) That all of her family has died.
(b) That all her brothers have died.
(c) That she is sick with the flu.
(d) That her father is definitely dead.
5. Where aren't Jews allowed?
(a) In churches.
(b) At public gatherings.
(c) In certain streets and nieghborhoods.
(d) In gardens.
6. At first how did life change under Russian occupation?
(a) Pictures of Lenin and Stalin were posted everywhere.
(b) Jews were not allowed to congregate.
(c) Jews had to wear the Star of David.
(d) Russians were put in positions of power.
7. During her early years, what didn't Alicia experience?
(a) Going to school.
(b) Love from her parents.
(c) Having a boyfriend.
8. After the Nazis leave Alicia's village in Chapter 7, what has happened in the ghetto?
(a) It is burned to the ground.
(b) Over two thousand residents of the ghetto have been murdered.
(c) The Jews can come out of hiding.
(d) They attempt to go back to their home.
9. Where were boys encouraged to go by Russians?
(a) To go to the Ukraine.
(b) Stay at home with their families.
(c) To school in Moscow.
(d) To join the Russian army.
10. Because she cannot stay in Buczacz, what hiding place does she find?
(a) A bunker.
(b) In a shack.
(c) Under a waterfall.
(d) A ravine.
11. What is the name of the town in which Alicia grows up?
(a) Moscow, Russian.
(c) Berlin, Germany.
(d) Buczacz, Poland.
12. Why is Alicia caught by the Gestapo?
(a) She runs outside to warn others that the Nazis are coming.
(b) Alicia chooses to stay out in the open with two babies and nurse them.
(c) She is not caught.
(d) She is crying when they come to look for her.
13. What did Jewish boys enjoy doing?
(a) Studying to become Rabbis.
(b) Spending time with their fathers.
(c) Dating girls.
(d) Singing and playing instruments.
14. What is the name of the new ghetto?
15. After being rescued by Milek, when Alicia wakes, where does she find herself?
(a) In a lake, swimming away from the Nazis.
(b) In the forest, not understanding how she arrived there.
(c) Being carried back to Buczacz.
(d) Taken to America to get away from the Nazis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Alicia nurse her family back to health?
2. What does Alicia begin to call the beekeeper?
3. While looking for her family, what does she find?
4. Why do the Germans soon arrive in Alicia's town?
5. Why did the family go without food for periods of time?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)