|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Alicia enjoy telling?
(a) The story of Little Red Riding Hood.
(b) The three little pigs.
(c) A Jewish wise tale.
(d) The story of her family.
2. Who helps Alicia nurse her family back to health?
3. What happens when Moshe returns from school in Moscow?
(a) He is put in prison.
(b) He is returned to his family.
(c) He is starved.
(d) He is tortured.
4. What is the family's new winter hiding place called?
(a) A ravine.
(b) A shelter.
(c) A bunker.
(d) A shack.
5. After being rescued by Milek, when Alicia wakes, where does she find herself?
(a) In a lake, swimming away from the Nazis.
(b) Taken to America to get away from the Nazis.
(c) In the forest, not understanding how she arrived there.
(d) Being carried back to Buczacz.
6. What must the family now do to survive?
(a) Haggle and sell whatever they can find.
(b) Alicia's mother works as a servant in a Polish home.
(c) Send all the children to work.
(d) Move from shelter to shelter.
7. How does Alicia obtain food and winter clothes?
(a) From Slavka.
(b) From Wujciu.
(c) From a kind farmer who is getting rid of food.
(d) From the food storages in Ukraine.
8. What do members of the Judenrat council fear?
(a) They do not wish to become violent people.
(b) That if they build a resistance, the Nazis will kill more Jews.
(c) They will have to defend those who are caught resisting.
9. How does Alicia disguise herself as a worker?
(a) She takes on peasant mannerisms.
(b) She is the best worker she can be.
(c) She wears peasant clothing.
(d) She is fluent in Russian and Ukrainian.
10. What were the Jews proud of?
(a) Their heritage.
(b) Their community.
(c) Their heritage and community.
(d) Their money.
11. At the end of the section, what has happened to the Jurman family?
(a) They have lost all their money.
(b) They send all of their males to America.
(c) They have escaped Poland.
(d) They are all forced to go to camps.
12. Why does Alicia give up her radishes?
(a) She decides to give it to starving children.
(b) She trades them for more clothes.
(c) She knows her mother needs to eat more of the radishes than her.
(d) She becomes sick.
13. Why is Alicia caught by the Gestapo?
(a) She runs outside to warn others that the Nazis are coming.
(b) Alicia chooses to stay out in the open with two babies and nurse them.
(c) She is not caught.
(d) She is crying when they come to look for her.
14. Where does Alicia end up at the end of the chapter?
(a) She is forced to stay in the concentration camp.
(b) In a Ukrainian wheat field.
(c) She has passed out in the forest.
(d) She has been carried to Germany.
15. What village is Alicia able to find work in during the winter?
Short Answer Questions
1. While life continues on, what has rooted itself into the town?
2. What happens to the newborn baby hidden in the kitchen of the Alicia's home?
3. Because of what happens to his sister, what does Zach wish to do?
4. Where had Alicia's new friend, Bella, come from?
5. What keeps Alicia's mother from going to the market to sell?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)