|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is she able to escape?
(a) She overtakes some of the officers.
(b) After men pull apart the bars of the car, she crawls out the window.
(c) She runs away.
(d) Jewish resistors free her by opening fire.
2. Over time, what happens because of the occupation?
(a) All children were forced to go away to school in Russian or Germany.
(b) Russians forced Polish women to mate with them.
(c) Russians get violent with the Poles.
(d) Russians took over businesses and people began to disappear.
3. During this time, how did Alicia and her mother find food to eat?
(a) They were given food by a boy from a rich family.
(b) All of the beekeeper's houseguests would contribute food.
(c) They gathered small rodents on the farms.
(d) There was food provided for the workers by their employers.
4. Why wasn't Alicia's section of Poland invaded sooner?
(a) The Russians had control of some of Poland.
(b) The Brits were protecting it.
(c) Poland has a very strong army.
(d) The Poles had an agreement with the Russians to protect them.
5. What must the family now do to survive?
(a) Move from shelter to shelter.
(b) Haggle and sell whatever they can find.
(c) Alicia's mother works as a servant in a Polish home.
(d) Send all the children to work.
6. Why was a villager cast out by his peers when he had an epileptic fit?
(a) They thought he was a pervert.
(b) They thought what he had was contagious.
(c) They thought he was posessed by demons.
(d) Everyone is actually very supportive of him.
7. Who finds Alicia in this hiding place?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her youngest brother.
8. What is the name of the new ghetto?
9. Who does Alicia visit, asking about God and fate?
(a) The ghetto's oldest living resident.
(b) Her great aunt.
(c) The Jewish leader of the community.
(d) Her best friend's father.
10. What had Mrs Gold given Alicia in a package?
(a) 400 zlotys.
(b) 500 zlotys.
(c) 200 zlotys.
(d) 600 zlotys.
11. What was Bella's father's occupation?
12. When Moshe comes home, how does he appear?
(a) Sad and starved.
(b) Crazed and angry.
(d) Happy and exicted.
13. What do the stories Alicia tells in Chapter 8 reinforce?
(a) Suffering of the Poles.
(b) Suffering of the ghetto Jews.
(c) The Nazi's cruelty.
(d) The tense relations between Ukrainians and Jews.
14. Where were people who committed unnamed crimes sent?
15. After the Nazis leave Alicia's village in Chapter 7, what has happened in the ghetto?
(a) They attempt to go back to their home.
(b) Over two thousand residents of the ghetto have been murdered.
(c) It is burned to the ground.
(d) The Jews can come out of hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alicia's family have time to do?
2. How would Alicia gather heat for her family?
3. When the Ukrainian gangs became bored with exterminating the Jews, who did they turn their rage to?
4. Because she cannot stay in Buczacz, what hiding place does she find?
5. Where aren't Jews allowed?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)