|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Germans soon arrive in Alicia's town?
(a) They are breaking the treaty with the Russians.
(b) They want to assist the Ukrainians in getting back at the Poles.
(c) They want to take over Poland.
(d) The agreement with the Russians has ended.
2. Where were boys encouraged to go by Russians?
(a) To go to the Ukraine.
(b) Stay at home with their families.
(c) To school in Moscow.
(d) To join the Russian army.
3. How many Jewish men are forced to go to the police station?
4. After the Nazis leave Alicia's village in Chapter 7, what has happened in the ghetto?
(a) It is burned to the ground.
(b) The Jews can come out of hiding.
(c) They attempt to go back to their home.
(d) Over two thousand residents of the ghetto have been murdered.
5. What is Alicia's first experience with antisemitism?
(a) When her father's factory was burned to the ground because he was Jewish.
(b) When her mother was accosted in the town square.
(c) When her brother Zachary is beaten by five Polish boys.
(d) When she was taunted at school by a group of Gentile students.
6. Why is Alicia caught by the Gestapo?
(a) She is crying when they come to look for her.
(b) Alicia chooses to stay out in the open with two babies and nurse them.
(c) She runs outside to warn others that the Nazis are coming.
(d) She is not caught.
7. Where were people who committed unnamed crimes sent?
8. How is Alicia able to obtain food and shelter?
(a) She works as a peasant in many feilds.
(b) She must sell herself to make money.
(c) She must steal food and hide in abandonned homes.
(d) She pretends she is an upperclass Ukrainian girl.
9. What do Zachary and Alicia begin trying to sell in this section?
(a) Their hair.
(b) Flints of soup.
(c) Their services has house servants.
(d) Their clothing.
10. What were the Jews proud of?
(a) Their heritage.
(b) Their money.
(c) Their heritage and community.
(d) Their community.
11. When was Bella's husband taken by the Russians?
12. When Alicia is finally healthy enough to get home, what does she find?
(a) One of her friends, Milek, has run away.
(b) She finds that Herzl has died.
(c) She finds her mother and Herzl sick with typhoid.
(d) Her village has been burned to the ground.
13. What does Alicia refuse to reveal to her mother?
(a) That her father is definitely dead.
(b) That all her brothers have died.
(c) That all of her family has died.
(d) That she is sick with the flu.
14. So far, how many brothers have been lost?
(a) None of her brothers have been killed.
(b) 3 brothers.
(c) 1 brother.
(d) 2 brothers.
15. After being rescued by Milek, when Alicia wakes, where does she find herself?
(a) In a lake, swimming away from the Nazis.
(b) Taken to America to get away from the Nazis.
(c) In the forest, not understanding how she arrived there.
(d) Being carried back to Buczacz.
Short Answer Questions
1. While life continues on, what has rooted itself into the town?
2. Where do Alicia and her family choose to live after they are moved to another ghetto?
3. What do members of the Judenrat council fear?
4. What does this name mean?
5. What do the stories Alicia tells in Chapter 8 reinforce?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)