|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Grace’s family leave for Canada?
(a) Her father was going to be arrested for murder.
(b) Her father wanted to own his own land.
(c) Her uncle Roy said he would no longer help support the family.
(d) Her father was hired by a company building over there.
2. What would Mary do sometimes when the sheets were hung in the inside drying room?
(a) Press her face in them and moan and pretend to be a ghost.
(b) Tie the corners shut.
(c) Swing on them.
(d) Splash water on them so they would take longer to dry.
3. Where does Simon Jordan sneak in his house when he is a boy?
(a) His parents’ bedroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The stables.
(d) The servants’ quarters.
4. What does Jordan think Dora might do on purpose?
(a) Come into his room when he is dressing.
(b) Dirty his shirts.
(c) Overcook his eggs.
(d) Track mud into his room.
5. What does Grace say the peddler in her dream has of hers?
(a) A knife.
(b) A shawl.
(c) Her shoes.
(d) A hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does the governor’s wife have that tells of fashion in the United States?
2. What does Grace say was her family’s religion?
3. What does the poem say is how Grace convinced McDermott to murder?
4. Why does the peddler give Grace one button more than she buys?
5. Where was McDermott hanged?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Mrs. Burt introduce Grace and what position does that woman hold? How does the woman help Grace?
2. What does Grace say about her family in her confession at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What first happens when a doctor comes into the parlor at the governor’s house and why does it happen?
4. Who comes to Grace’s cell, why and how does he reassure her?
5. Who narrates Chapter 1 and what does she say about her present circumstances as to where she is, how old she is and what year it is?
6. What are the circumstances of Mrs. Humphreys’s life that are so difficult?
7. How does Dr. Jordan help Mrs. Humphreys’ situation?
8. Why is Reverend Verringer meeting with Jordan and what does Jordan believe of the Reverend?
9. What is bothering Jordan in Chapter 4?
10. What does Mrs. Humphreys do at the opening of Chapter 6 and what is Dr. Jordan’s response?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)