|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does Grace say she has?
2. What does Grace tell Jordan she will finish that day when she meets with him at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The quilt square in her hand.
(b) The cloak she is making her sister.
(c) Cleaning the downstairs of the house.
(d) Her fifteenth year in prison.
3. What does Grace say about her confession?
(a) She made it completely honest.
(b) She will not discuss her confession.
(c) It was beaten out of her.
(d) It was what her lawyer told her to say.
4. Why does the governor’s wife not allow Grace the run of the house in Chapter 4?
(a) She is afraid Grace will have another fit.
(b) It is being renovated.
(c) She does not want Grace to see Dr. Jordan without supervision.
(d) Grace is a prisoner, not a guest.
5. What book does the governor’s wife have that tells of fashion in the United States?
(a) The Fashion and Style Display Art.
(b) The Ladies Home Journal.
(c) Godey’s Ladies’ Books.
(d) Blackwell’s Dresses and Accessories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the book called of which a page is shown in Chapter 2?
2. With whom does Grace’s father find lodging when they arrive in Canada?
3. How much does Grace tell Jordan about her dream of the previous night?
4. What did Grace’s lawyer tell the court about her?
5. How is Jordan feeling about his research in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings Jordan his breakfast in the boarding house and what does Jordan think of the breakfast?
2. What first happens when a doctor comes into the parlor at the governor’s house and why does it happen?
3. To whom does Mrs. Burt introduce Grace and what position does that woman hold? How does the woman help Grace?
4. How does Jordan describe Grace in his letter at the end of the Chapter?
5. What does Mrs. Humphreys do at the opening of Chapter 6 and what is Dr. Jordan’s response?
6. Who narrates Chapter 1 and what does she say about her present circumstances as to where she is, how old she is and what year it is?
7. Where does Jordan visit Grace in Chapter 4 and what does he do with her?
8. What happens at the Parkinsons that changes both Mary and Grace’s circumstances?
9. What is the sentencing for Grace and McDermott?
10. What does the visitor to Grace’s cell give her and what does Grace do about it?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)