|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
2. What happened with Alexander and his troops at Chenab?
3. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
4. Who murdered Darius?
5. Who appeared to Alexander in December 325 BC to inform him of the status of his fleet at Hormoz?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
2. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
3. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
4. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
5. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
6. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
7. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
8. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
9. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
10. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle of Gaugamela. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe the manner in which Darius died.
b) How did Darius' death impact Alexander's political as well as military strategies? What challenges did the death present?
c) How did Alexander react to Darius' death, and how did he change his strategy to suit the moment?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)