|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upset Alexander about his time in the Bactria area?
2. Where did Alexander travel after Gaugamela?
3. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
4. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
5. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's experience in Chenab as he sailed down the Jhelum River. What action did his army take?
2. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
3. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
4. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
5. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
6. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
7. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
8. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
9. Describe what happened when Alexander finally reached the Indian Ocean.
10. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the state of Alexander's empire at the point of his death. After his death, what happened to Alexander's empire? List the major events involved in the wars of succession for Alexander's kingdom.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the actions that Alexander took when Philip was murdered and Alexander became king, up until the Thebean uprising. With what political realities did he have to deal? How did different city states react? What were Alexander's motivations?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)