|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
2. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
3. How long did it take for Alexander to cross the Hindu Kush?
4. What happened with Alexander and his troops at Chenab?
5. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
2. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
3. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
4. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
5. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
6. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
7. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
8. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
9. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
10. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alexander's Indian campaign. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) challenges faced by Alexander and his army;
d) reasons for Alexander stopping a further march eastward; and
d) the overall result of the Indian campaign, especially as it relates to the success Alexander had in previous campaigns.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the steps Philip took to guard against Alexander's growing ambition to be king.
2) In what manner was Philip assassinated? What were the circumstances?
3) Discuss the historical uncertainty associated with Philip's assassination, including the nature of his assassin as well as who was the mastermind behind the assassination.
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)