|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
2. Alexander believed which god was his true father?
3. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
4. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
5. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
2. What was Alexander's history with Satibarzanes?
3. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
4. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
5. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
6. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
7. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
8. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
9. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
10. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the state of Alexander's empire at the point of his death. After his death, what happened to Alexander's empire? List the major events involved in the wars of succession for Alexander's kingdom.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Alexander's Indian campaign. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) challenges faced by Alexander and his army;
d) reasons for Alexander stopping a further march eastward; and
d) the overall result of the Indian campaign, especially as it relates to the success Alexander had in previous campaigns.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)