|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
2. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
3. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
4. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
5. What order did Alexander give when his army reached Persepolis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the marriages that took place in Susa in 324 BC. How politically effective were these marriages?
2. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
3. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
4. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
5. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
6. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
7. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
8. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
9. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
10. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Alexander's Indian campaign. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) challenges faced by Alexander and his army;
d) reasons for Alexander stopping a further march eastward; and
d) the overall result of the Indian campaign, especially as it relates to the success Alexander had in previous campaigns.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)