|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
2. Where did Alexander travel after Gaugamela?
3. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
4. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
5. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
2. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
3. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
4. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
5. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
6. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
7. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
8. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
9. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
10. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a) Describe the manner in which Darius died.
b) How did Darius' death impact Alexander's political as well as military strategies? What challenges did the death present?
c) How did Alexander react to Darius' death, and how did he change his strategy to suit the moment?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle of Granicus River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the upbringing Alexander experienced prior to studying with Aristotle, with the experience Alexander had with his years of study with Aristotle. How was Alexander's life different in each setting? What values did Alexander absorb in each setting?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)