|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the satraps?
2. Alexander was seriously wounded in what Indian battle?
3. What did Antipater believe about Alexander's claims to divinity?
4. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
5. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
2. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
3. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
4. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
5. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
6. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
7. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
8. What was Alexander's history with Satibarzanes?
9. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
10. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle of Gaugamela. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the upbringing Alexander experienced prior to studying with Aristotle, with the experience Alexander had with his years of study with Aristotle. How was Alexander's life different in each setting? What values did Alexander absorb in each setting?
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe the manner in which Darius died.
b) How did Darius' death impact Alexander's political as well as military strategies? What challenges did the death present?
c) How did Alexander react to Darius' death, and how did he change his strategy to suit the moment?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)