|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
2. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
3. How long did it take for Alexander to cross the Hindu Kush?
4. What happened with the satrap Alexander appointed after Darius' death?
5. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
2. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
3. Describe Alexander's experience in Chenab as he sailed down the Jhelum River. What action did his army take?
4. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
5. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
6. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
7. Describe the battle of Gaugamela. How even were the forces? What strategy did Alexander use? What were the results of the battle?
8. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
9. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
10. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)