|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
2. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
3. How did the ethnic makeup of Alexander's army change by the time he entered India?
4. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
5. In February 324 BC, Alexander arrived in which territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
2. Describe what happened when Alexander finally reached the Indian Ocean.
3. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
4. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
5. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
6. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
7. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
8. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
9. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
10. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle of Granicus River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Alexander's time in Egypt in 331. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) Alexander's involvement with Alexandria; and
d) the overall result of the Egyptian campaign.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the actions that Alexander took when Philip was murdered and Alexander became king, up until the Thebean uprising. With what political realities did he have to deal? How did different city states react? What were Alexander's motivations?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)