|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
2. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
3. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
4. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
5. What was Alexander's expectation of riches in India, and what in reality did he find there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
2. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
3. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
4. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
5. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
6. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
7. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
8. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
9. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
10. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle of Issus. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)