|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the ratio of Persians to Macedonians at Gaugamela?
2. What role did Alexander envision his Successors would have?
3. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
4. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
5. What happened with Alexander and his troops at Chenab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
2. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
3. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
4. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
5. Describe the marriages that took place in Susa in 324 BC. How politically effective were these marriages?
6. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
7. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
8. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
9. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
10. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a) Describe the manner in which Parmenio died.
b) How does Parmenio's death relate to Alexander's relationships with his troops?
c) How can Parmenio's death shed light on Alexander's mental state and his overall ability to lead?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Alexander's time in Egypt in 331. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) Alexander's involvement with Alexandria; and
d) the overall result of the Egyptian campaign.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)