|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
2. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
3. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
4. How did the ethnic makeup of Alexander's army change by the time he entered India?
5. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
2. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
3. Describe Alexander's experience in Chenab as he sailed down the Jhelum River. What action did his army take?
4. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
5. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
6. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
7. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
8. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
9. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
10. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a) Why did Alexander's victory at Gaugamela and resultant strategy represent a turning point in Alexander's relationship with his professional army? How did this relationship progress over time?
b) Describe the events of Chenab and Chenab citadel, and how they relate to Alexander's relationship with his troops.
b) Describe what action Alexander took at Opis, and how it relates to his relationship with his troops.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Gaugamela. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)