|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
2. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
3. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
4. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
5. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
2. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
3. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
4. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
5. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
6. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
7. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
8. Describe what happened when Alexander finally reached the Indian Ocean.
9. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
10. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle of Granicus River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)