|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Persepolis, to what city did Alexander travel?
2. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
3. In which Egyptian city was Alexander proclaimed Pharaoh of Egypt?
4. In January 324 BC, Alexander left for which territory?
5. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
2. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
3. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
4. Describe the marriages that took place in Susa in 324 BC. How politically effective were these marriages?
5. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
6. Describe the battle of Gaugamela. How even were the forces? What strategy did Alexander use? What were the results of the battle?
7. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
8. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
9. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
10. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
Essay Topic 2
a) Describe the manner in which Parmenio died.
b) How does Parmenio's death relate to Alexander's relationships with his troops?
c) How can Parmenio's death shed light on Alexander's mental state and his overall ability to lead?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the state of Alexander's empire at the point of his death. After his death, what happened to Alexander's empire? List the major events involved in the wars of succession for Alexander's kingdom.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)