|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
2. Why was Darius murdered?
3. What initially prevented Alexander from pursuing Bessus after Alexander executed Parmenio?
4. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
5. What promise did Alexander make to the citizens of Babylon when entering the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
2. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
3. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
4. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
5. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
6. What was Alexander's history with Satibarzanes?
7. Describe what happened when Alexander finally reached the Indian Ocean.
8. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
9. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
10. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alexander's Indian campaign. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) challenges faced by Alexander and his army;
d) reasons for Alexander stopping a further march eastward; and
d) the overall result of the Indian campaign, especially as it relates to the success Alexander had in previous campaigns.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe the manner in which Parmenio died.
b) How does Parmenio's death relate to Alexander's relationships with his troops?
c) How can Parmenio's death shed light on Alexander's mental state and his overall ability to lead?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)