|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Persepolis, which general did Alexander reduce in terms of power and authority?
2. What order did Alexander give when his army reached Persepolis?
3. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
4. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
5. Why was Darius murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
2. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
3. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
4. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
5. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
6. Describe Alexander's experience in Chenab as he sailed down the Jhelum River. What action did his army take?
7. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
8. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
9. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
10. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darius and Alexander's meeting at Marathos. At what point in the Persian campaign did this meeting take place? What was discussed? What were the offers and counteroffers? What was the ultimate result of the discussions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)