|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
2. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
3. Who murdered Darius?
4. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
5. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
2. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
3. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
4. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
5. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
6. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
7. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
8. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
9. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
10. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle of Issus. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Darius and Alexander's meeting at Marathos. At what point in the Persian campaign did this meeting take place? What was discussed? What were the offers and counteroffers? What was the ultimate result of the discussions?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)