Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
2. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
3. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
4. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
5. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
2. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
3. What was Alexander's history with Satibarzanes?
4. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
5. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
6. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
7. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
8. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
9. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
10. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)