|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
2. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
3. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
4. What was the ultimate result of the uprising of Thebes in 335 BC?
5. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
2. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
3. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
4. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
5. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
6. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
7. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
8. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
9. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
10. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alexander's time in Egypt in 331. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) Alexander's involvement with Alexandria; and
d) the overall result of the Egyptian campaign.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Gaugamela. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)