|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
2. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
3. While in Gordium, what did Alexander take as a sign from Zeus to continue his campaign?
4. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
5. In the summer of 939, with what threat did Philip have to contend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
2. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
3. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
4. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
5. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
6. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
7. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
8. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
9. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
10. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alexander's time in Egypt in 331. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) Alexander's involvement with Alexandria; and
d) the overall result of the Egyptian campaign.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)