|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
2. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
3. During the battle of Granicus River, where was Alexander located?
4. Mieza was known for what export?
5. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
2. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
3. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
4. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
5. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
6. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
7. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
8. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
9. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
10. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Darius and Alexander's meeting at Marathos. At what point in the Persian campaign did this meeting take place? What was discussed? What were the offers and counteroffers? What was the ultimate result of the discussions?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)