|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
2. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
3. In which year did the Persians capture Sidon from the Greeks?
4. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
5. How many years did Alexander study with Aristotle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
2. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
3. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
4. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
5. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
6. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
7. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
8. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
9. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
10. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darius and Alexander's meeting at Marathos. At what point in the Persian campaign did this meeting take place? What was discussed? What were the offers and counteroffers? What was the ultimate result of the discussions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)