|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
2. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
3. In the summer of 939, with what threat did Philip have to contend?
4. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
5. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
2. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
3. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
4. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
5. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
6. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
7. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
8. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
9. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
10. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alexander's time in Egypt in 331. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) Alexander's involvement with Alexandria; and
d) the overall result of the Egyptian campaign.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle of Issus. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
a) Why did Alexander's victory at Gaugamela and resultant strategy represent a turning point in Alexander's relationship with his professional army? How did this relationship progress over time?
b) Describe the events of Chenab and Chenab citadel, and how they relate to Alexander's relationship with his troops.
b) Describe what action Alexander took at Opis, and how it relates to his relationship with his troops.
This section contains 1,715 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)