|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Gordium, what did Alexander take as a sign from Zeus to continue his campaign?
2. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
3. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
4. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
5. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
2. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
3. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
4. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
5. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
6. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
7. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
8. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
9. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
10. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the actions that Alexander took when Philip was murdered and Alexander became king, up until the Thebean uprising. With what political realities did he have to deal? How did different city states react? What were Alexander's motivations?
Essay Topic 2
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)