|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
2. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
3. At what event was Philip assassinated?
4. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
5. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
2. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
3. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
4. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
5. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
6. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
7. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
8. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
9. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
10. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the upbringing Alexander experienced prior to studying with Aristotle, with the experience Alexander had with his years of study with Aristotle. How was Alexander's life different in each setting? What values did Alexander absorb in each setting?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)