|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
2. Who was the mother of Alexander?
3. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
4. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
5. When King Philip met the Illyrians in battle, how many Illyrians did he kill, approximately?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
2. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
3. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
4. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
5. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
6. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
7. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
8. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
9. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
10. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the upbringing Alexander experienced prior to studying with Aristotle, with the experience Alexander had with his years of study with Aristotle. How was Alexander's life different in each setting? What values did Alexander absorb in each setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)