|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
2. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
3. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
4. In the summer of 939, with what threat did Philip have to contend?
5. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
2. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
3. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
4. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
5. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
6. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
7. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
8. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
9. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
10. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
Essay Topic 2
What can Alexander's legacy be said to be? Discuss Hellenization and cite specific consequences of this process.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Darius and Alexander's meeting at Marathos. At what point in the Persian campaign did this meeting take place? What was discussed? What were the offers and counteroffers? What was the ultimate result of the discussions?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)