|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
2. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
3. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
4. Which of the following BEST describes the final strategy Alexander used to enter Tyre?
5. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
2. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
3. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
4. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
5. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
6. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
7. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
8. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
9. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
10. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle of Issus. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)