|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
2. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
3. Where was Philip when Alexander first led the troops, quelling a rebellion?
4. Which city refused to help Tyre in Alexander's siege?
5. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
2. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
3. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
4. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
5. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
6. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
7. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
8. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
9. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
10. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle of Issus. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)