|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
2. When King Philip met the Illyrians in battle, how many Illyrians did he kill, approximately?
3. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
4. What was NOT one of the actions Alexander took after his father was murdered?
5. Where did Alexander begin his studies with Aristotle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
2. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
3. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
4. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
5. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
6. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
7. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
8. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
9. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
10. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the upbringing Alexander experienced prior to studying with Aristotle, with the experience Alexander had with his years of study with Aristotle. How was Alexander's life different in each setting? What values did Alexander absorb in each setting?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darius and Alexander's meeting at Marathos. At what point in the Persian campaign did this meeting take place? What was discussed? What were the offers and counteroffers? What was the ultimate result of the discussions?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)