|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Persian invasion of Greece called off?
2. Mieza was known for what export?
3. What was the ultimate result of the uprising of Thebes in 335 BC?
4. What important battle took place in August 338?
5. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
2. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
3. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
4. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
5. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
6. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
7. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
8. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
9. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
10. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alexander's Indian campaign. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) challenges faced by Alexander and his army;
d) reasons for Alexander stopping a further march eastward; and
d) the overall result of the Indian campaign, especially as it relates to the success Alexander had in previous campaigns.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 1,726 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)