Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
2. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
3. What kind of military leader was King Philip?
4. Where was Alexander the Great born?
5. How many years did Alexander study with Aristotle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
2. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
3. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
4. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
5. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
6. What was Alexander's history with Satibarzanes?
7. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
8. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
9. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
10. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
Essay Topic 1
a) Why did Alexander's victory at Gaugamela and resultant strategy represent a turning point in Alexander's relationship with his professional army? How did this relationship progress over time?
b) Describe the events of Chenab and Chenab citadel, and how they relate to Alexander's relationship with his troops.
b) Describe what action Alexander took at Opis, and how it relates to his relationship with his troops.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the battle of Issus. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe the manner in which Parmenio died.
b) How does Parmenio's death relate to Alexander's relationships with his troops?
c) How can Parmenio's death shed light on Alexander's mental state and his overall ability to lead?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)