|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
2. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
3. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
4. When King Philip met the Illyrians in battle, how many Illyrians did he kill, approximately?
5. Which of the following BEST describes the final strategy Alexander used to enter Tyre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
2. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
3. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
4. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
5. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
6. Describe Harpalus. What role did he have in Alexander's empire? What became of Harpalus?
7. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
8. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
9. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
10. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
Essay Topic 2
What can Alexander's legacy be said to be? Discuss Hellenization and cite specific consequences of this process.
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)