|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city refused to help Tyre in Alexander's siege?
2. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
3. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
4. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
5. Where was Alexander the Great born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
2. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
3. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
4. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
5. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
6. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
7. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
8. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
9. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
10. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
Essay Topic 2
a) Describe the manner in which Parmenio died.
b) How does Parmenio's death relate to Alexander's relationships with his troops?
c) How can Parmenio's death shed light on Alexander's mental state and his overall ability to lead?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Alexander's time in Egypt in 331. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) Alexander's involvement with Alexandria; and
d) the overall result of the Egyptian campaign.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)