|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
2. How did Darius of Persia respond to the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
3. At what site did Alexander finally meet Darius himself in battle?
4. In which year did the Persians capture Sidon from the Greeks?
5. Who assassinated Philip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
2. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
3. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
4. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
5. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
6. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
7. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
8. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
9. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
10. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What can Alexander's legacy be said to be? Discuss Hellenization and cite specific consequences of this process.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the actions that Alexander took when Philip was murdered and Alexander became king, up until the Thebean uprising. With what political realities did he have to deal? How did different city states react? What were Alexander's motivations?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)