|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
2. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
3. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
4. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
5. During the battle of Granicus River, where was Alexander located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
2. Describe what happened when Alexander finally reached the Indian Ocean.
3. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in the couple of months prior to his death.
4. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
5. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
6. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
7. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
8. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
9. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
10. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 3
a) Describe the manner in which Parmenio died.
b) How does Parmenio's death relate to Alexander's relationships with his troops?
c) How can Parmenio's death shed light on Alexander's mental state and his overall ability to lead?
This section contains 1,808 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)