|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
2. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
3. When did Alexander begin his war against the Persians?
4. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
5. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
2. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
3. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
4. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
5. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
6. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
7. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
8. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
9. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
10. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the steps Philip took to guard against Alexander's growing ambition to be king.
2) In what manner was Philip assassinated? What were the circumstances?
3) Discuss the historical uncertainty associated with Philip's assassination, including the nature of his assassin as well as who was the mastermind behind the assassination.
Essay Topic 2
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
Essay Topic 3
a) Why did Alexander's victory at Gaugamela and resultant strategy represent a turning point in Alexander's relationship with his professional army? How did this relationship progress over time?
b) Describe the events of Chenab and Chenab citadel, and how they relate to Alexander's relationship with his troops.
b) Describe what action Alexander took at Opis, and how it relates to his relationship with his troops.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)