|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
2. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
3. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
4. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
5. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
2. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
3. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
4. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
5. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
6. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
7. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
8. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
9. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
10. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)