|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
2. What action did Alexander take before and after crossing the Dardanelles River in the Persian campaign?
3. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
4. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
5. Where did Alexander begin his studies with Aristotle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
2. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
3. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
4. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
5. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
6. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
7. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
8. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
9. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
10. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death. Why is this moment unclear to historians? What are specific theories behind Alexander's death? What evidence do historians provide to back up these theories?
Essay Topic 2
a) Describe the manner in which Darius died.
b) How did Darius' death impact Alexander's political as well as military strategies? What challenges did the death present?
c) How did Alexander react to Darius' death, and how did he change his strategy to suit the moment?
Essay Topic 3
a) Why did Alexander's victory at Gaugamela and resultant strategy represent a turning point in Alexander's relationship with his professional army? How did this relationship progress over time?
b) Describe the events of Chenab and Chenab citadel, and how they relate to Alexander's relationship with his troops.
b) Describe what action Alexander took at Opis, and how it relates to his relationship with his troops.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)