|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
2. Which city refused to help Tyre in Alexander's siege?
3. Where did Alexander begin his studies with Aristotle?
4. How could Macedonia be characterized prior to Philip's rule?
5. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
2. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
3. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
4. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
5. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
6. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
7. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
8. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
9. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
10. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule, including its location in the world, neighboring states, geography, and relative political power.
2) Describe the political system in Macedonia prior to King Philip's rule. How was the system organized? What code of laws was in place?
3) Describe the circumstances that contributed to Macedonia's rise in power and influence under King Philip II.
Essay Topic 2
a) Why did Alexander's victory at Gaugamela and resultant strategy represent a turning point in Alexander's relationship with his professional army? How did this relationship progress over time?
b) Describe the events of Chenab and Chenab citadel, and how they relate to Alexander's relationship with his troops.
b) Describe what action Alexander took at Opis, and how it relates to his relationship with his troops.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle of Jhelum River. Include:
a) the pretext to the battle;
b) the major combatants;
c) the geographical context;
d) the events of the battle itself, including strategy and tactics; and
e) the results of the battle.
This section contains 1,713 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)