|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
2. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
3. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
4. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
5. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
2. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
3. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
4. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
5. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
6. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
7. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
8. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
9. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
10. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the steps Philip took to guard against Alexander's growing ambition to be king.
2) In what manner was Philip assassinated? What were the circumstances?
3) Discuss the historical uncertainty associated with Philip's assassination, including the nature of his assassin as well as who was the mastermind behind the assassination.
Essay Topic 2
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the political situation with which Philip had to deal in 939 BC and into 938 BC. How did he manage to emerge victorious, forcing a showdown at Chaeronaea?
2) Discuss how the battle of Chaeronaea proceeded. How did Alexander and Philip achieve victory? Discuss the military formation and strategy that was used.
3) Discuss the political aftermath of the battle of Chaeronaea. How did the battle change the political landscape? What were the immediate political consequences?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)