|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
2. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
3. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
4. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
5. In which year did the Persians capture Sidon from the Greeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
2. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
3. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
4. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
5. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
6. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
7. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
8. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
9. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
10. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a) Why did Alexander's victory at Gaugamela and resultant strategy represent a turning point in Alexander's relationship with his professional army? How did this relationship progress over time?
b) Describe the events of Chenab and Chenab citadel, and how they relate to Alexander's relationship with his troops.
b) Describe what action Alexander took at Opis, and how it relates to his relationship with his troops.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Darius and Alexander's meeting at Marathos. At what point in the Persian campaign did this meeting take place? What was discussed? What were the offers and counteroffers? What was the ultimate result of the discussions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Thebean uprising against Alexander that culminated in 335 BC. Who financed the uprising and why? Who supported this uprising and why? What was Alexander's response to the uprising? What was the ultimate fate of the city? Finally, what was the political aftermath of Alexander's actions against Thebes?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)