|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
2. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
3. Mieza was known for what export?
4. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
5. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
2. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
3. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
4. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
5. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
6. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
7. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
8. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
9. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
10. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alexander's Indian campaign. Include:
a) major battles;
b) major cities conquered;
c) challenges faced by Alexander and his army;
d) reasons for Alexander stopping a further march eastward; and
d) the overall result of the Indian campaign, especially as it relates to the success Alexander had in previous campaigns.
Essay Topic 2
a) Describe who Antipater was, and what role he had in Alexander's empire.
b) What steps did Antipater take to consolidate power while Alexander was away? Who opposed Antipater in this process?
c) What were Antipater's own feelings about Alexander? What did Antipater believe about Alexander's divinity?
d) Describe the major events in which Antipater was involved after Alexander's death in the wars of succession.
Essay Topic 3
What can Alexander's legacy be said to be? Discuss Hellenization and cite specific consequences of this process.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)