|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
(a) Jhelum River.
2. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
(a) Nabarzanes only.
(b) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(c) Bessus only.
(d) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
3. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
4. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
(a) By holding Darius for ransom.
(b) By looting the royal treasury of Persepolis.
(c) By severely reducing the size of his army.
(d) By levying a large tax on the Greek city-states.
5. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Four years.
(b) Twenty-five years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Nineteen years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Alexander send to Sousa after leaving Gaugamela?
2. In January 330 BC, Alexander traveled to which city?
3. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
4. What was the ratio of Persians to Macedonians at Gaugamela?
5. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
2. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
3. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
4. Describe Alexander's experience in Chenab as he sailed down the Jhelum River. What action did his army take?
5. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
6. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
7. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
8. Describe the battle of Gaugamela. How even were the forces? What strategy did Alexander use? What were the results of the battle?
9. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
10. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)