|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
(a) Forty thousand.
(b) Seven thousand.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) He entered Massago peacefully.
2. Why was Darius murdered?
(a) Darius was murdered so that Alexander could not capture him and have an orderly succession.
(b) Darius was murdered by the citizens of Persepolis as revenge for the city's sacking.
(c) Darius was murdered in a fit of blind rage.
(d) Darius was murdered in a ransom gone wrong.
3. Who appeared to Alexander in December 325 BC to inform him of the status of his fleet at Hormoz?
4. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) King of the Gaugamelites.
(b) King of the World.
(c) Pharaoh of Egypt.
(d) Lord of Asia.
5. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
(a) By levying a large tax on the Greek city-states.
(b) By severely reducing the size of his army.
(c) By holding Darius for ransom.
(d) By looting the royal treasury of Persepolis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
2. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
3. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
4. In which month did the battle of Gaugamela take place?
5. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
2. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
3. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
4. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
5. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
6. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
7. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
8. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
9. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
10. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)