|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In February 324 BC, Alexander arrived in which territory?
(a) Hindu Kush.
(c) The Indian Ocean.
2. After Darius' death, whom did Alexander appoint as satrap?
3. Who murdered Darius?
(a) Bessus only.
(b) Nabarzanes only.
(c) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(d) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
4. In January 324 BC, Alexander left for which territory?
5. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
(a) He had no knowledge of Indian geography.
(b) He claimed to have been divinely told about Indian geography, angering his troops.
(c) Having traveled there twice in the past, he was quite knowledgeable about Indian geography.
(d) Aristotle had taught him about the major geographical features of India.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
2. How did Bessus die?
3. In which month did the battle of Gaugamela take place?
4. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
5. Alexander was seriously wounded in what Indian battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
2. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
3. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
4. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
5. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
6. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
7. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
8. What action did Alexander take in 324 BC when he arrived in Opis? How did the troops react? How did Alexander respond to this troop reaction?
9. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
10. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)