|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
(a) He used complex siege tactics with catapults and trebuchets.
(b) He used only his most veteran warriors.
(c) He divided his army.
(d) He had the leader assassinated.
2. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
3. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) He entered Massago peacefully.
(c) Forty thousand.
(d) Seven thousand.
4. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
(a) They believed Alexander was going to make another push for the Indian Ocean.
(b) They believed Alexander was a god who was angry with them.
(c) They believed Alexander was going to abandon them by establishing a capital in Macedonia.
(d) They believed Alexander was going to establish a capital in Persia rather than Macedonia.
5. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
(a) He abandoned his campaign further east, since he had accomplished his ultimate goal.
(b) He systematically burned all villages to which he came.
(c) He pretended that Darius was still alive for political reasons.
(d) He felt his only option was to present himself as Darius' choice for successor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
2. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
3. Who murdered Darius?
4. Alexander led his army to which country in the summer of 331 BC?
5. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
2. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
3. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
4. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
5. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
6. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
7. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
8. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
9. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
10. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)