|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bessus die?
(a) Alexander beheaded him.
(b) He was publicly tried and executed.
(c) He died of an arrow wound.
(d) His men mutinied and murdered him.
2. What promise did Alexander make to the citizens of Babylon when entering the city?
(a) He promised to restore Darius to the Persian throne.
(b) He promised to exempt them from taxation.
(c) He promised to restore their god.
(d) He promised to kill three men for every one man who resisted.
3. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
(a) West Pakistan.
(b) East Egypt.
(c) West Turkey.
(d) East China.
4. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
(a) Alexander believed that Parmenio fell out of favor with the gods.
(b) Alexander believed that Parmenio was tainted with a contagious disease.
(c) Parmenio was badly wounded in a battle, and Alexander put Parmenio out of his misery.
(d) Alexander believed that Parmenio was plotting to take Alexander's place.
5. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
(a) To Arabia.
(b) North to Russia.
(c) Back to Macedonia.
(d) Through the Khyber Pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
2. At Chenab, what warning did a soothsayer have for Alexander?
3. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
4. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
5. What initially prevented Alexander from pursuing Bessus after Alexander executed Parmenio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
2. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
3. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
4. Describe the battle of Gaugamela. How even were the forces? What strategy did Alexander use? What were the results of the battle?
5. Describe what happened when Alexander finally reached the Indian Ocean.
6. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
7. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
8. Describe Alexander's experience in Chenab as he sailed down the Jhelum River. What action did his army take?
9. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
10. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)