|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the ratio of Persians to Macedonians at Gaugamela?
(a) One to One.
(b) One to Five.
(c) One-hundred to One.
(d) Five to One.
2. Alexander believed which god was his true father?
3. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
(b) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
(c) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(d) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
4. Who were the satraps?
(a) A group of seers.
(b) Greek senators.
(c) Expert Persian swordsmen.
(d) Local governors in the Persian empire.
5. What happened with the satrap Alexander appointed after Darius' death?
(a) The satrap revolted and Alexander had to quell the revolt.
(b) The satrap traveled west to conquer any passed-over territories.
(c) The satrap murdered Parmenio and assumed a position as Alexander's right hand.
(d) The satrap traveled to Persepolis to scrounge up any remaining gold from the treasury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
2. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
3. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
4. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
5. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the marriages that took place in Susa in 324 BC. How politically effective were these marriages?
2. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
3. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
4. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
5. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
6. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
7. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
8. How did Alexander's relationship with his army change after the battle of Gaugamela?
9. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
10. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)