|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Alexander spend in Egypt in total?
(a) Fourteen months.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two years.
2. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Four years.
(b) Nineteen years.
(c) Twenty-five years.
(d) Twelve years.
3. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) Alexander had to kill dozens of mutinous soldiers.
(b) Many were completely willing to travel into the Indian subcontinent.
(c) Many wanted to return to Macedonia.
(d) The army wished to strike for more pay.
4. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
(a) Lord of the Twelve Countries.
(b) Duke of Ionia.
(c) Great King.
(d) The Great Diplomat.
5. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
(b) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
(c) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(d) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
2. What did Antipater believe about Alexander's claims to divinity?
3. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
4. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
5. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
2. Describe what happened when Alexander finally reached the Indian Ocean.
3. After Gaza, describe Alexander's campaign through Egypt. How long was he there? What important events happened during his time in Egypt?
4. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
5. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
6. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
7. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
8. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
9. What kind of riches did Alexander discover in India? What compounded any financial difficulties Alexander encountered in India?
10. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)