|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
(a) Extremely uncertain footing on the banks of the river.
(b) The fact that most of his army abandoned him.
(c) His enemy's formidable war elephants.
(d) A great heat wave.
2. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Nineteen years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Twelve years.
3. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
(a) Alexander thought Persian women were extraordinarily beautiful.
(b) Alexander believed this would help the men miss their families less.
(c) Alexander had a belief that sexual energy in his men was bad for combat.
(d) Alexander believed that Zeus himself had given the order to him.
4. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
(a) They evacuated the city before he arrived.
(b) They offered to give up all their able-bodied males for Alexander's army.
(c) They fought and lost a two-month battle.
(d) They welcomed him to their city with open arms.
5. Alexander led his army to which country in the summer of 331 BC?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
2. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
3. In January 330 BC, Alexander traveled to which city?
4. What role did Alexander envision his Successors would have?
5. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of Alexander's pursuit of Bessus, through the Hindu Kush.
2. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
3. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
4. Describe Alexander's movements and activity in January and February 324 BC. What was his state of mind? What were his plans?
5. What rumor spread during the battle of the Chenab citadel, and what action did Alexander take to stop the rumor?
6. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
7. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
8. Describe the build-up to the battle of Gaugamela. Where was Darius' army located, and what strategy did he try to employ? How did Alexander counter this strategy?
9. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
10. What was Darius' ultimate fate after his defeat at Gaugamela?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)