|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
(a) He crushed the city in a massacre.
(b) He was nice and generous, as he needed their help.
(c) He recruited all the men of Ambphi into his army.
(d) He skipped the city over, for larger conquests.
2. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) Many wanted to return to Macedonia.
(b) Alexander had to kill dozens of mutinous soldiers.
(c) Many were completely willing to travel into the Indian subcontinent.
(d) The army wished to strike for more pay.
3. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
(a) He made the Indian army leader believe the gods were against him.
(b) He showed only a portion of his army, and kept the majority of the army hidden from view.
(c) He paraded a group of elephants to show the Indian army leader he had an army of elephants.
(d) He let conflicting intelligence about his movements reach the Indian army leader.
4. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
5. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
2. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
3. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
4. In January 330 BC, Alexander traveled to which city?
5. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's conquest of Gaza. Why was Gaza an important city to conquer?
2. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
3. What political move did Alexander make after Soghdian Rock, and why did he pursue this strategy?
4. What was Alexander's plan after his Indian campaign? What curtailed further plans?
5. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Persepolis?
6. Who were the Successors, and what importance did they have in Alexander's army?
7. How did Alexander's relationship with Parmenio change after the battle of Persepolis?
8. Describe what Antipater was doing in Greece while Alexander was away. What did he think of Alexander's claim to divinity? What were his own ambitions for power?
9. What was Alexander's history with Satibarzanes?
10. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)