|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
(a) Scientific curiosity.
(b) Hedonistic view on life.
(d) Analytical mind.
2. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
3. What was Philip's stance on Panhellenism?
(a) He was indifferent, since the movement did not affect him.
(b) He was raised to respect and embrace the movement.
(c) He hated the notion, and worked against it at every turn.
(d) He tolerated it only if he could use it to his advantage.
4. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
(a) He signed the treaty, but later betrayed Darius by breaking the treaty.
(b) He rejected all terms, vowing to defeat Darius soundly in battle.
(c) He accepted the terms, ending his conquest of Persia.
(d) He rejected the terms, but allowed Darius to retain his title of King of all Asia.
5. Why was the Persian invasion of Greece called off?
(a) Alexander soundly defeated Memnon in Phoenicia.
(b) A great earthquake was taken as a sign to call off the invasion.
(c) Darius ran out of money.
(d) Memnon died unexpectedly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
2. Who was the mother of Alexander?
3. Who assassinated Philip?
4. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
5. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
2. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
3. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
4. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
5. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
6. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
7. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
8. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
9. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
10. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)