|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political deal did Alexander strike with queen Ada in Allinda?
(a) He exiled her, rather than executing her outright.
(b) He agreed to marry her, so that he might become the leader of Allinda.
(c) He supported her in regaining her position in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
(d) He agreed to keep all of her city officials in place, in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
2. When King Philip met the Illyrians in battle, how many Illyrians did he kill, approximately?
(a) Nineteen thousand.
(b) Only a handful.
(c) Seven thousand.
(d) One Hundred.
3. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
(a) He married a rival queen to forge peace.
(b) He used ballista for the first time in a battle.
(c) He forced a sea war, as opposed to a war on land.
(d) He forced a land war, as opposed to a war on the sea.
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
(a) City leaders demanded that their women survive unharmed.
(b) City leaders demanded the surrender of two of Alexander's military leaders.
(c) City leaders demanded that Alexander conquer their enemy, Thrace.
(d) City leaders demanded Alexander relinquish the Macedonian crown.
5. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
(a) Amphibious warfare.
(b) Desert warfare.
(c) Naval warfare.
(d) Mountain warfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
2. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
3. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
4. Where did Alexander begin his studies with Aristotle?
5. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
2. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
3. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
4. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
5. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
6. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
7. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
8. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
9. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
10. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)