|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
(b) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
(c) Arrested and tortured Philip.
(d) Tried to poison Philip.
2. Who assassinated Philip?
(d) A jealous former male lover.
3. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
(b) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
(c) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
(d) He wished to establish a military fort there.
4. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
5. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
(a) Alexander held a series of legendary and expensive feasts.
(b) Alexander had refused to tax the citizens.
(c) Alexander had built a host of war machines at great cost.
(d) Alexander had imported animals from all around the world for a zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
2. Why was the Persian invasion of Greece called off?
3. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
4. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
5. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
2. Describe the major events of the battle of Granicus River.
3. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
4. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
5. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
6. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
7. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
8. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
9. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
10. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)