|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
(c) New Smyrna.
2. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
3. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
4. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
(a) Unlike Thebes, Alexander spared the people of Miletus.
(b) Unlike Miletus, Alexander spared the people of Thebes.
(c) Unlike Miletus, Alexander skipped Thebes over and did not enter it.
(d) Unlike Thebes, Alexander skipped Miletus over and did not enter it.
5. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
(a) 808 BC.
(b) 356 BC.
(c) 3 AD.
(d) 120 AD.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
2. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
3. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
4. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
5. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
2. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
3. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
4. How did Alexander's actions with the town of Lampsacus relate to his larger strategy in the Persian campaign?
5. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
6. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
7. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
8. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
9. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
10. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)