|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
(a) He relinquished the throne and fled.
(b) He tried to recapture the city.
(c) He captured the neighboring city of Sidon.
(d) He proposed another peace settlement.
2. What political deal did Alexander strike with queen Ada in Allinda?
(a) He exiled her, rather than executing her outright.
(b) He agreed to marry her, so that he might become the leader of Allinda.
(c) He supported her in regaining her position in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
(d) He agreed to keep all of her city officials in place, in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
3. At what site did Alexander finally meet Darius himself in battle?
4. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
(a) A monument to Zeus.
(b) The first submarine.
(c) A causeway.
(d) A Trojan horse.
5. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
(a) She never knew Alexander.
(b) She envied and hated Alexander.
(c) The two were very close.
(d) She feared him and felt terrorized by him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
2. What kind of military leader was King Philip?
3. What action did Alexander take before and after crossing the Dardanelles River in the Persian campaign?
4. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
5. Who was the mother of Alexander?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
2. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
3. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
4. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
5. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
6. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
7. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
8. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
9. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
10. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)