|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
(b) Memnon of Rhodes.
(c) Xerxes I.
2. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
(a) Alexander held a series of legendary and expensive feasts.
(b) Alexander had imported animals from all around the world for a zoo.
(c) Alexander had refused to tax the citizens.
(d) Alexander had built a host of war machines at great cost.
3. What action did Alexander take before and after crossing the Dardanelles River in the Persian campaign?
(a) He murdered townspeople on either side of the river.
(b) He burned all the crops on the shores of the river.
(c) He built altars to the gods.
(d) He ritualistically bathed the entire army.
4. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
5. Where was Alexander the Great born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
2. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
3. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
4. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
5. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who supported the Thebean uprising? What role did Darius of Persia have in the uprising?
2. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
3. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
4. What did Darius propose at Marathos after the battle of Issus? What was Alexander's response?
5. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
6. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
7. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
8. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
9. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
10. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)