|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When King Philip met the Illyrians in battle, how many Illyrians did he kill, approximately?
(a) Only a handful.
(b) Seven thousand.
(c) Nineteen thousand.
(d) One Hundred.
2. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
3. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
(a) He used ballista for the first time in a battle.
(b) He married a rival queen to forge peace.
(c) He forced a land war, as opposed to a war on the sea.
(d) He forced a sea war, as opposed to a war on land.
4. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
5. What monument was built in response to events after the battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) The Philippians.
(b) The Alabaster Tower.
(c) The Hanging Gardens.
(d) The Great Library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
2. How many troops did Alexander capture and enslave in the battle of Granicus River?
3. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
4. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
5. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
2. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
3. For what reasons was Macedonia deeply in debt in 335 BC, prior to the Persian campaign?
4. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
5. Describe the diplomatic fallout in regards to Persia's capturing of Sidon in 345 BC.
6. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
7. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
8. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
9. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
10. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)