Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
(a) Alexander was triumphant, killing Memnon and ending his Persian campaign.
(b) The Persians took the city from Alexander, but Alexander had the city burned.
(c) The Persians were defeated, but they scored an important victory in destroying Alexander's naval power.
(d) Alexander took the city from the Persians, but the Persians set fire to most of the city.
2. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
(b) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
(c) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(d) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
3. What kind of military leader was King Philip?
(a) He did not keep much of an army during his reign.
(b) He was a procrastinator who did not insist on high standards.
(c) He relied heavily on improvisation and instinct.
(d) He was a strict disciplinarian.
4. Where was Alexander the Great born?
5. How many years did Alexander study with Aristotle?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
2. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
3. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
4. In the summer of 939, with what threat did Philip have to contend?
5. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Philip initially molded his army into a formidable force.
2. Describe Alexander's childhood growing up, prior to studying with Aristotle.
3. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
4. What unique challenge did Alexander face at Jhelum River? How is Jhelum River regarded among the battles of Alexander?
5. What difficulties did Alexander encounter once he reached Oxus? What was the ultimate fate of Bessus?
6. What was Alexander's history with Satibarzanes?
7. After Massago, in what way did Alexander divide his army, and what orders did he give?
8. In what circumstances did Parmenio meet his end?
9. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
10. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)