|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
(a) The Athenians.
(b) The Assyrians.
(c) The Egyptians.
(d) The Spartans.
2. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
(a) 120 AD.
(b) 808 BC.
(c) 356 BC.
(d) 3 AD.
3. What action did Alexander take before and after crossing the Dardanelles River in the Persian campaign?
(a) He burned all the crops on the shores of the river.
(b) He ritualistically bathed the entire army.
(c) He built altars to the gods.
(d) He murdered townspeople on either side of the river.
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
(a) City leaders demanded the surrender of two of Alexander's military leaders.
(b) City leaders demanded that their women survive unharmed.
(c) City leaders demanded that Alexander conquer their enemy, Thrace.
(d) City leaders demanded Alexander relinquish the Macedonian crown.
5. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) A slanted infantry line.
(b) Ranged combat with archers.
(c) Shields for the front line.
(d) He used elephants in war for the first time.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
2. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
3. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
4. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
5. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the major events of the Siege of Halicarnassus.
2. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
3. What important messages did King Philip of Macedon receive in September 356 BC?
4. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
5. Describe the geography of Macedonia.
6. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
7. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
8. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
9. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
10. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)