|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
(b) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
(c) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(d) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
2. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
(a) Alexander had refused to tax the citizens.
(b) Alexander had imported animals from all around the world for a zoo.
(c) Alexander had built a host of war machines at great cost.
(d) Alexander held a series of legendary and expensive feasts.
3. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
(a) The Spartans.
(b) The Assyrians.
(c) The Athenians.
(d) The Egyptians.
4. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Arrested and tortured Philip.
(b) Tried to poison Philip.
(c) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
(d) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
5. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
2. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
3. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
4. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
5. Mieza was known for what export?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
2. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
3. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
4. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
5. Describe the personal qualities of Alexander as a boy.
6. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
7. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
8. Describe the battle of Pelium, including its pretext and its outcome.
9. What contact did Alexander have with Miletus? How was this contact different than his handling of Thebes?
10. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)