|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
2. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
(c) Animal handlers.
3. Where was Alexander the Great born?
4. What was NOT one of the actions Alexander took after his father was murdered?
(a) He maintained the overall principles of his father's administration.
(b) He gave key positions to friends returned from exile.
(c) He personally murdered Cleopatra's baby and possible heir to the throne, Cananis.
(d) He had several of his political enemies murdered.
5. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
(a) A female-dominated world of waiting women and artists.
(b) A male-dominated world of feasts and professional soldiers.
(c) A quiet life involving religious contemplation.
(d) A peasant life of hard work in the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
2. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
3. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
4. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
5. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Philip was murdered. What was the outcome of this murder?
2. What did Darius' death mean for Alexander, politically?
3. Why did Alexander decide to wage war against Persia? And what steps did Alexander take to raise his army?
4. What were the circumstances surrounding Alexander's death? Why is Alexander's death still somewhat of a historical enigma?
5. What strategy did Alexander take with the city of Ambphi, and why did he pursue this strategy?
6. Describe the battle of Chaeronea. Who won, and how?
7. Describe the immediate effect of Alexander's passing. What was his ultimate legacy?
8. Describe Alexander's time in Gordium, including the Gordian Knot and the omen Alexander believed he received from Zeus.
9. What strategy did Alexander take with conquering Babylon?
10. Describe the battle of Gaugamela. How even were the forces? What strategy did Alexander use? What were the results of the battle?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)