|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
2. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
(b) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
(c) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
(d) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
3. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
(a) He rejected the terms, but allowed Darius to retain his title of King of all Asia.
(b) He rejected all terms, vowing to defeat Darius soundly in battle.
(c) He signed the treaty, but later betrayed Darius by breaking the treaty.
(d) He accepted the terms, ending his conquest of Persia.
4. What political deal did Alexander strike with queen Ada in Allinda?
(a) He exiled her, rather than executing her outright.
(b) He supported her in regaining her position in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
(c) He agreed to keep all of her city officials in place, in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
(d) He agreed to marry her, so that he might become the leader of Allinda.
5. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
(b) New Smyrna.
Short Answer Questions
1. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
2. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
3. Where was Alexander the Great born?
4. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
5. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander's sack of Thebes. What negotiations occurred (and failed) prior to the city's destruction?
2. What was the last mission on which Philip sent Alexander?
3. Describe the values given to Alexander by Aristotle.
4. Describe King Philip's aggressions toward the Illyrians, the battle that ensued, and the strategy Philip innovated during the battle.
5. What immediate actions did Alexander take after his father Philip was murdered?
6. Describe the events that led to the battle of Chaeronaea.
7. Describe the final assault on Tyre. How was Alexander finally able to breach the city walls? And how did he handle the citizens therein?
8. Why did Alexander send Parmenio to Damascus shortly after Alexander met Darius at Marathos? What did Parmenio succeed in procuring?
9. Describe the siege of Tyre in 332 BC. Why was Tyre in a strategically advantageous position? What did Alexander do to overcome this advantage?
10. What was the nature of the deal Alexander struck with Queen Ada in Allinda? Why was this a politically crafty strategy?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)