|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
2. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
(a) Bessus believed Alexander would take a lower pass, but he did not.
(b) Bessus believed his own troops were better-trained than Alexander's.
(c) Bessus vastly underestimated the size of Alexander's army.
(d) Bessus did not think it would take Alexander so long to cross.
3. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) Pharaoh of Egypt.
(b) King of the World.
(c) King of the Gaugamelites.
(d) Lord of Asia.
4. Roxanne was the daughter to which baron?
5. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Seven thousand.
(c) He entered Massago peacefully.
(d) Forty thousand.
6. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
(a) He pretended that Darius was still alive for political reasons.
(b) He abandoned his campaign further east, since he had accomplished his ultimate goal.
(c) He systematically burned all villages to which he came.
(d) He felt his only option was to present himself as Darius' choice for successor.
7. What happened to Alexander in Oxus?
(a) He learned of his mother's death from a messenger.
(b) He had to order the execution of Parmenio.
(c) He survived an assassination attempt by a former male lover.
(d) Many troops mutinied.
8. Alexander believed which god was his true father?
9. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
(a) Jhelum River.
10. What promise did Alexander make to the citizens of Babylon when entering the city?
(a) He promised to restore their god.
(b) He promised to restore Darius to the Persian throne.
(c) He promised to exempt them from taxation.
(d) He promised to kill three men for every one man who resisted.
11. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
12. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
(a) He divided his army.
(b) He had the leader assassinated.
(c) He used only his most veteran warriors.
(d) He used complex siege tactics with catapults and trebuchets.
13. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
(a) Three days.
(b) It immediately surrendered.
(c) One year.
(d) Two months.
14. Persepolis was the burial place of whom?
(a) Achaemenid kings.
(b) Athenian senators.
(c) Alexander's mother.
(d) Macedonian kings.
15. At the battle of the Chenab citadel, what rumor gained popularity?
(a) Alexander was broke, and had no way to pay the army.
(b) Zeus had visited Alexander in his tent.
(c) Bessus had escaped execution and now threatened Alexander's army.
(d) Alexander was dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role did Alexander envision his Successors would have?
2. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
3. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
4. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
5. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)