|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
(a) As a sort of honeymoon trip with Roxanne.
(b) He was scouting with his advanced scouts.
(c) To escape hostile Indian troops.
(d) To convince his soldiers he was not dead.
2. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
(b) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
(c) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
(d) He ordered it burned.
3. After Massago, what action did Alexander take with his army?
(a) He split his army up.
(b) He dismissed any man who did not believe in the mission.
(c) He paid them to marry Massago women.
(d) He executed the majority of his soldiers.
4. Who did Alexander marry in a ceremony at Susa?
(a) Seven wives, one for each of the local Indian satraps.
(b) Two wives, one the daughter of Darius.
(c) One wife, the daughter of Antipater.
(d) Three wives, one the daughter of Olympias.
5. What happened with Alexander and his troops at Chenab?
(a) Most of his army drowned in Jhelum River.
(b) A portion of the army tried to murder Alexander.
(c) Alexander easily routed hostile tribes.
(d) Alexander's army refused to fight.
6. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
(a) Alexander believed that Parmenio fell out of favor with the gods.
(b) Alexander believed that Parmenio was plotting to take Alexander's place.
(c) Alexander believed that Parmenio was tainted with a contagious disease.
(d) Parmenio was badly wounded in a battle, and Alexander put Parmenio out of his misery.
7. At Chenab, what warning did a soothsayer have for Alexander?
(a) Alexander may run out of money.
(b) Alexander was in danger of losing his life.
(c) Alexander may lose his sight.
(d) Alexander had fallen out of favor with the gods.
8. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
9. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Four years.
(b) Twenty-five years.
(c) Nineteen years.
(d) Twelve years.
10. What was the ratio of Persians to Macedonians at Gaugamela?
(a) Five to One.
(b) One-hundred to One.
(c) One to Five.
(d) One to One.
11. Who did Alexander marry while in India?
12. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
13. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
(a) They believed Alexander was going to make another push for the Indian Ocean.
(b) They believed Alexander was going to abandon them by establishing a capital in Macedonia.
(c) They believed Alexander was going to establish a capital in Persia rather than Macedonia.
(d) They believed Alexander was a god who was angry with them.
14. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
15. How did the ethnic makeup of Alexander's army change by the time he entered India?
(a) There were more Macedonians, and less Persians.
(b) There were more Persians, and less Macedonians.
(c) There were more pureblood Greeks, and less mixed-breed slaves.
(d) There were more Africans, and less Persians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
2. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
3. How long did it take for Alexander to cross the Hindu Kush?
4. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
5. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)