|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
(a) East Egypt.
(b) East China.
(c) West Turkey.
(d) West Pakistan.
2. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
(a) They welcomed him to their city with open arms.
(b) They offered to give up all their able-bodied males for Alexander's army.
(c) They fought and lost a two-month battle.
(d) They evacuated the city before he arrived.
3. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
(a) Harpalus managed to escape Alexander's wrath.
(b) Harpalus was executed by Alexander.
(c) Harpalus was tried and imprisoned for a long while.
(d) Harpalus was tried and found innocent of all charges.
4. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
(a) They suffered from bubonic plague.
(b) They were constantly harassed by bandits.
(c) They suffered from scurvy.
(d) They lacked food and water.
5. Who apprehended Bessus?
(b) Spitamenas and Soghdian barons.
(c) A group of the Successors.
(d) Darius' former personal bodyguards.
6. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
(a) He had the leader assassinated.
(b) He divided his army.
(c) He used only his most veteran warriors.
(d) He used complex siege tactics with catapults and trebuchets.
7. What action did Alexander take in Opis in 324 BC in regards to his army?
(a) Alexander recruited boys as young as ten to act as spies throughout his empire.
(b) Alexander promoted many Persians to officers.
(c) Alexander killed hundreds of men as part of a purge.
(d) Alexander demobilized older troops in favor of younger troops.
8. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
(a) Bessus vastly underestimated the size of Alexander's army.
(b) Bessus believed Alexander would take a lower pass, but he did not.
(c) Bessus did not think it would take Alexander so long to cross.
(d) Bessus believed his own troops were better-trained than Alexander's.
9. Alexander believed which god was his true father?
10. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
(a) They believed Alexander was going to make another push for the Indian Ocean.
(b) They believed Alexander was a god who was angry with them.
(c) They believed Alexander was going to establish a capital in Persia rather than Macedonia.
(d) They believed Alexander was going to abandon them by establishing a capital in Macedonia.
11. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
12. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
13. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
14. Why was Darius murdered?
(a) Darius was murdered by the citizens of Persepolis as revenge for the city's sacking.
(b) Darius was murdered so that Alexander could not capture him and have an orderly succession.
(c) Darius was murdered in a fit of blind rage.
(d) Darius was murdered in a ransom gone wrong.
15. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) King of the Gaugamelites.
(b) Pharaoh of Egypt.
(c) Lord of Asia.
(d) King of the World.
Short Answer Questions
1. What order did Alexander give when his army reached Persepolis?
2. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
3. Who did Alexander send to Sousa after leaving Gaugamela?
4. What was Alexander's expectation of riches in India, and what in reality did he find there?
5. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)