|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Chenab, what warning did a soothsayer have for Alexander?
(a) Alexander may lose his sight.
(b) Alexander may run out of money.
(c) Alexander had fallen out of favor with the gods.
(d) Alexander was in danger of losing his life.
2. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
3. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
(a) He skipped the city over, for larger conquests.
(b) He was nice and generous, as he needed their help.
(c) He recruited all the men of Ambphi into his army.
(d) He crushed the city in a massacre.
4. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) Alexander had to kill dozens of mutinous soldiers.
(b) The army wished to strike for more pay.
(c) Many were completely willing to travel into the Indian subcontinent.
(d) Many wanted to return to Macedonia.
5. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
(a) Having traveled there twice in the past, he was quite knowledgeable about Indian geography.
(b) He had no knowledge of Indian geography.
(c) Aristotle had taught him about the major geographical features of India.
(d) He claimed to have been divinely told about Indian geography, angering his troops.
6. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Nineteen years.
(d) Twenty-five years.
7. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
(a) To Arabia.
(b) Back to Macedonia.
(c) North to Russia.
(d) Through the Khyber Pass.
8. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
(a) They lacked food and water.
(b) They were constantly harassed by bandits.
(c) They suffered from scurvy.
(d) They suffered from bubonic plague.
9. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
(a) By looting the royal treasury of Persepolis.
(b) By levying a large tax on the Greek city-states.
(c) By holding Darius for ransom.
(d) By severely reducing the size of his army.
10. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
(a) Bessus believed his own troops were better-trained than Alexander's.
(b) Bessus did not think it would take Alexander so long to cross.
(c) Bessus vastly underestimated the size of Alexander's army.
(d) Bessus believed Alexander would take a lower pass, but he did not.
11. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
12. What did Antipater believe about Alexander's claims to divinity?
(a) Antipater believed Alexander was the evil spawn of Hades.
(b) Antipater believed Alexander was only a minor god.
(c) Antipater believed any such claims were nonsense.
(d) Antipater believed Alexander was the second coming of Zeus.
13. How long did it take for Alexander to cross the Hindu Kush?
(a) Four months.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Seventeen days.
(d) Two days.
14. What action did Alexander take in Opis in 324 BC in regards to his army?
(a) Alexander promoted many Persians to officers.
(b) Alexander demobilized older troops in favor of younger troops.
(c) Alexander killed hundreds of men as part of a purge.
(d) Alexander recruited boys as young as ten to act as spies throughout his empire.
15. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
(a) He pretended that Darius was still alive for political reasons.
(b) He felt his only option was to present himself as Darius' choice for successor.
(c) He systematically burned all villages to which he came.
(d) He abandoned his campaign further east, since he had accomplished his ultimate goal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise did Alexander make to the citizens of Babylon when entering the city?
2. After Massago, what action did Alexander take with his army?
3. What happened to Alexander in Oxus?
4. In January 324 BC, Alexander left for which territory?
5. Who did Alexander send to Sousa after leaving Gaugamela?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)