|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
(a) He paraded a group of elephants to show the Indian army leader he had an army of elephants.
(b) He showed only a portion of his army, and kept the majority of the army hidden from view.
(c) He made the Indian army leader believe the gods were against him.
(d) He let conflicting intelligence about his movements reach the Indian army leader.
2. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
3. Alexander led his army to which country in the summer of 331 BC?
4. After Persepolis, to what city did Alexander travel?
5. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
(a) They lacked food and water.
(b) They suffered from scurvy.
(c) They suffered from bubonic plague.
(d) They were constantly harassed by bandits.
6. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
7. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
8. What upset Alexander about his time in the Bactria area?
(a) His infant son died.
(b) He could not find a suitable mate for a political marriage.
(c) He found much treasure, but had no way to transport it.
(d) He had spent too much time quelling revolts.
9. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
(b) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(c) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
(d) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
10. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
(a) He crushed the city in a massacre.
(b) He was nice and generous, as he needed their help.
(c) He recruited all the men of Ambphi into his army.
(d) He skipped the city over, for larger conquests.
11. Who apprehended Bessus?
(a) A group of the Successors.
(c) Darius' former personal bodyguards.
(d) Spitamenas and Soghdian barons.
12. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
(a) Lord of the Twelve Countries.
(b) Duke of Ionia.
(c) Great King.
(d) The Great Diplomat.
13. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
(a) His mutinous troops forced him to stop.
(b) He was told by prophets that further movement would end in disaster.
(c) He wished to settle down and raise a family with Roxanne.
(d) He became frightened, because legend told of an end to the world.
14. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
15. In which Egyptian city was Alexander proclaimed Pharaoh of Egypt?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
2. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
3. After Massago, what action did Alexander take with his army?
4. Roxanne was the daughter to which baron?
5. What role did Alexander envision his Successors would have?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)