|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which Egyptian city was Alexander proclaimed Pharaoh of Egypt?
2. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Nineteen years.
3. What was Alexander's expectation of riches in India, and what in reality did he find there?
(a) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, but in reality he did not acquire much.
(b) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and was pleasantly surprised finding many riches there.
(c) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and he was accurate in his prediction.
(d) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, and indeed he found many riches there.
4. After Persepolis, to what city did Alexander travel?
5. In which month did the battle of Gaugamela take place?
6. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
7. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
(a) He recruited all the men of Ambphi into his army.
(b) He crushed the city in a massacre.
(c) He was nice and generous, as he needed their help.
(d) He skipped the city over, for larger conquests.
8. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
(a) Bessus believed his own troops were better-trained than Alexander's.
(b) Bessus vastly underestimated the size of Alexander's army.
(c) Bessus did not think it would take Alexander so long to cross.
(d) Bessus believed Alexander would take a lower pass, but he did not.
9. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
(a) He had no knowledge of Indian geography.
(b) Aristotle had taught him about the major geographical features of India.
(c) Having traveled there twice in the past, he was quite knowledgeable about Indian geography.
(d) He claimed to have been divinely told about Indian geography, angering his troops.
10. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
11. Why was Darius murdered?
(a) Darius was murdered in a fit of blind rage.
(b) Darius was murdered in a ransom gone wrong.
(c) Darius was murdered so that Alexander could not capture him and have an orderly succession.
(d) Darius was murdered by the citizens of Persepolis as revenge for the city's sacking.
12. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
(c) Jhelum River.
13. Who were the satraps?
(a) Local governors in the Persian empire.
(b) Expert Persian swordsmen.
(c) Greek senators.
(d) A group of seers.
14. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
(b) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
(c) He ordered it burned.
(d) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
15. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
2. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
3. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
4. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
5. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)