|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
(a) Nabarzanes only.
(b) Bessus only.
(c) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(d) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
2. After Darius' death, whom did Alexander appoint as satrap?
3. What did Antipater believe about Alexander's claims to divinity?
(a) Antipater believed Alexander was the second coming of Zeus.
(b) Antipater believed Alexander was the evil spawn of Hades.
(c) Antipater believed any such claims were nonsense.
(d) Antipater believed Alexander was only a minor god.
4. What was Alexander's expectation of riches in India, and what in reality did he find there?
(a) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, and indeed he found many riches there.
(b) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, but in reality he did not acquire much.
(c) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and was pleasantly surprised finding many riches there.
(d) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and he was accurate in his prediction.
5. Who appeared to Alexander in December 325 BC to inform him of the status of his fleet at Hormoz?
6. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
(a) Alexander's own scouts reported Darius' troop movements.
(b) Captured Persian scouts confessed as much.
(c) He claimed to have a visit from his father, Zeus.
(d) Darius' consort betrayed his plans to Alexander.
7. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Nineteen years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Twenty-five years.
8. Who did Alexander marry while in India?
9. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
(a) Alexander had a belief that sexual energy in his men was bad for combat.
(b) Alexander believed this would help the men miss their families less.
(c) Alexander believed that Zeus himself had given the order to him.
(d) Alexander thought Persian women were extraordinarily beautiful.
10. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
11. At Chenab, what warning did a soothsayer have for Alexander?
(a) Alexander may lose his sight.
(b) Alexander had fallen out of favor with the gods.
(c) Alexander was in danger of losing his life.
(d) Alexander may run out of money.
12. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
(b) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
(c) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(d) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
13. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
(a) They lacked food and water.
(b) They were constantly harassed by bandits.
(c) They suffered from scurvy.
(d) They suffered from bubonic plague.
14. Who did Alexander marry in a ceremony at Susa?
(a) Three wives, one the daughter of Olympias.
(b) One wife, the daughter of Antipater.
(c) Seven wives, one for each of the local Indian satraps.
(d) Two wives, one the daughter of Darius.
15. Who murdered Darius?
(a) Bessus only.
(b) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
(c) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(d) Nabarzanes only.
Short Answer Questions
1. Roxanne was the daughter to which baron?
2. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
3. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
4. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
5. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)