|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Alexander travel after Gaugamela?
2. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
(a) He claimed to have been divinely told about Indian geography, angering his troops.
(b) He had no knowledge of Indian geography.
(c) Aristotle had taught him about the major geographical features of India.
(d) Having traveled there twice in the past, he was quite knowledgeable about Indian geography.
3. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
(c) Jhelum River.
4. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
(a) The marriages did not have the desired political effect on either Macedonians or Persians.
(b) Persians were pleased with the marriages, but Macedonians were not pleased.
(c) Macedonians were pleased with the marriages, but Persians were not pleased.
(d) Both Macedonians and Persians were very pleased with the marriages.
5. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
(a) East China.
(b) East Egypt.
(c) West Pakistan.
(d) West Turkey.
6. Who appeared to Alexander in December 325 BC to inform him of the status of his fleet at Hormoz?
7. Who were the satraps?
(a) Expert Persian swordsmen.
(b) Greek senators.
(c) Local governors in the Persian empire.
(d) A group of seers.
8. In January 330 BC, Alexander traveled to which city?
9. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
(a) North to Russia.
(b) To Arabia.
(c) Through the Khyber Pass.
(d) Back to Macedonia.
10. What initially prevented Alexander from pursuing Bessus after Alexander executed Parmenio?
(a) Alexander had to travel back to Ionia to quell a rebellion.
(b) Alexander had to subdue revolts in the southern satrapies.
(c) Alexander fell ill, and stopped to recover.
(d) Alexander had to seek out an oracle for divine advice.
11. Alexander was seriously wounded in what Indian battle?
(b) The citadel of Chenab.
(c) Hindu Kush.
(d) Jhelum River.
12. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
(a) They believed Alexander was going to make another push for the Indian Ocean.
(b) They believed Alexander was going to abandon them by establishing a capital in Macedonia.
(c) They believed Alexander was going to establish a capital in Persia rather than Macedonia.
(d) They believed Alexander was a god who was angry with them.
13. Why didn't Alexander spend much time in Ecbatana?
(a) He was in hot pursuit of Parmenio.
(b) He was driven out by its citizens.
(c) He had to attend to a revolt in Macedonia.
(d) He was in hot pursuit of Darius.
14. At the battle of the Chenab citadel, what rumor gained popularity?
(a) Alexander was broke, and had no way to pay the army.
(b) Zeus had visited Alexander in his tent.
(c) Bessus had escaped execution and now threatened Alexander's army.
(d) Alexander was dead.
15. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
(a) Nabarzanes only.
(b) Bessus only.
(c) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
(d) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
2. Who apprehended Bessus?
3. After Darius' death, whom did Alexander appoint as satrap?
4. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
5. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)