|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Persepolis, which general did Alexander reduce in terms of power and authority?
2. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
3. Who murdered Darius?
(a) Bessus only.
(b) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(c) Nabarzanes only.
(d) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
4. About how long did Alexander wage war overall?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Nineteen years.
5. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
(a) They offered to give up all their able-bodied males for Alexander's army.
(b) They fought and lost a two-month battle.
(c) They evacuated the city before he arrived.
(d) They welcomed him to their city with open arms.
6. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
(a) He systematically burned all villages to which he came.
(b) He felt his only option was to present himself as Darius' choice for successor.
(c) He abandoned his campaign further east, since he had accomplished his ultimate goal.
(d) He pretended that Darius was still alive for political reasons.
7. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
(a) He used complex siege tactics with catapults and trebuchets.
(b) He had the leader assassinated.
(c) He divided his army.
(d) He used only his most veteran warriors.
8. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
(b) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
(c) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
(d) He ordered it burned.
9. How long did it take for Alexander to cross the Hindu Kush?
(a) Two days.
(b) Seventeen days.
(c) Four months.
(d) A year and a half.
10. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
11. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
(a) He had no knowledge of Indian geography.
(b) Having traveled there twice in the past, he was quite knowledgeable about Indian geography.
(c) He claimed to have been divinely told about Indian geography, angering his troops.
(d) Aristotle had taught him about the major geographical features of India.
12. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) King of the Gaugamelites.
(b) Pharaoh of Egypt.
(c) King of the World.
(d) Lord of Asia.
13. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
(a) Great King.
(b) Lord of the Twelve Countries.
(c) Duke of Ionia.
(d) The Great Diplomat.
14. Alexander led his army to which country in the summer of 331 BC?
15. Who did Alexander send to Sousa after leaving Gaugamela?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Massago, what action did Alexander take with his army?
2. At the battle of the Chenab citadel, what rumor gained popularity?
3. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
4. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
5. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)