|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) Lord of Asia.
(b) King of the World.
(c) King of the Gaugamelites.
(d) Pharaoh of Egypt.
2. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
(a) They welcomed him to their city with open arms.
(b) They fought and lost a two-month battle.
(c) They evacuated the city before he arrived.
(d) They offered to give up all their able-bodied males for Alexander's army.
3. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
4. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
(a) Alexander's own scouts reported Darius' troop movements.
(b) Darius' consort betrayed his plans to Alexander.
(c) He claimed to have a visit from his father, Zeus.
(d) Captured Persian scouts confessed as much.
5. How long did it take for Alexander to cross the Hindu Kush?
(a) Two days.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Seventeen days.
(d) Four months.
6. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
(a) To escape hostile Indian troops.
(b) To convince his soldiers he was not dead.
(c) As a sort of honeymoon trip with Roxanne.
(d) He was scouting with his advanced scouts.
7. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
8. After Massago, what action did Alexander take with his army?
(a) He dismissed any man who did not believe in the mission.
(b) He split his army up.
(c) He executed the majority of his soldiers.
(d) He paid them to marry Massago women.
9. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
(a) Bessus did not think it would take Alexander so long to cross.
(b) Bessus vastly underestimated the size of Alexander's army.
(c) Bessus believed his own troops were better-trained than Alexander's.
(d) Bessus believed Alexander would take a lower pass, but he did not.
10. How did Bessus die?
(a) He was publicly tried and executed.
(b) Alexander beheaded him.
(c) His men mutinied and murdered him.
(d) He died of an arrow wound.
11. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
(a) Alexander had a belief that sexual energy in his men was bad for combat.
(b) Alexander believed that Zeus himself had given the order to him.
(c) Alexander thought Persian women were extraordinarily beautiful.
(d) Alexander believed this would help the men miss their families less.
12. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
(a) He used complex siege tactics with catapults and trebuchets.
(b) He divided his army.
(c) He used only his most veteran warriors.
(d) He had the leader assassinated.
13. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
14. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
15. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
(a) Harpalus was executed by Alexander.
(b) Harpalus was tried and found innocent of all charges.
(c) Harpalus was tried and imprisoned for a long while.
(d) Harpalus managed to escape Alexander's wrath.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
2. What upset Alexander about his time in the Bactria area?
3. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
4. In February 324 BC, Alexander arrived in which territory?
5. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)