|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the satraps?
(a) Greek senators.
(b) Local governors in the Persian empire.
(c) A group of seers.
(d) Expert Persian swordsmen.
2. Why was Darius murdered?
(a) Darius was murdered so that Alexander could not capture him and have an orderly succession.
(b) Darius was murdered in a ransom gone wrong.
(c) Darius was murdered by the citizens of Persepolis as revenge for the city's sacking.
(d) Darius was murdered in a fit of blind rage.
3. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
4. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
5. How long did it take for Alexander to cross the Hindu Kush?
(a) Four months.
(b) Seventeen days.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Two days.
6. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
(d) Four hundred.
7. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
(a) Parmenio was badly wounded in a battle, and Alexander put Parmenio out of his misery.
(b) Alexander believed that Parmenio was plotting to take Alexander's place.
(c) Alexander believed that Parmenio fell out of favor with the gods.
(d) Alexander believed that Parmenio was tainted with a contagious disease.
8. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) The army wished to strike for more pay.
(b) Many wanted to return to Macedonia.
(c) Alexander had to kill dozens of mutinous soldiers.
(d) Many were completely willing to travel into the Indian subcontinent.
9. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
(a) Macedonians were pleased with the marriages, but Persians were not pleased.
(b) The marriages did not have the desired political effect on either Macedonians or Persians.
(c) Both Macedonians and Persians were very pleased with the marriages.
(d) Persians were pleased with the marriages, but Macedonians were not pleased.
10. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
(a) He wished to settle down and raise a family with Roxanne.
(b) His mutinous troops forced him to stop.
(c) He was told by prophets that further movement would end in disaster.
(d) He became frightened, because legend told of an end to the world.
11. At the battle of the Chenab citadel, what rumor gained popularity?
(a) Zeus had visited Alexander in his tent.
(b) Alexander was broke, and had no way to pay the army.
(c) Bessus had escaped execution and now threatened Alexander's army.
(d) Alexander was dead.
12. Who apprehended Bessus?
(a) A group of the Successors.
(b) Spitamenas and Soghdian barons.
(c) Darius' former personal bodyguards.
13. What role did Alexander envision his Successors would have?
(a) They would battle to become king after he died.
(b) They would travel back to Athens to teach philosophy and science.
(c) They would be mayors of the various cities he conquered.
(d) They would be officers in his army.
14. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
(a) As a sort of honeymoon trip with Roxanne.
(b) To convince his soldiers he was not dead.
(c) He was scouting with his advanced scouts.
(d) To escape hostile Indian troops.
15. Why didn't Alexander spend much time in Ecbatana?
(a) He was driven out by its citizens.
(b) He had to attend to a revolt in Macedonia.
(c) He was in hot pursuit of Parmenio.
(d) He was in hot pursuit of Darius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
2. What happened to Alexander in Oxus?
3. What upset Alexander about his time in the Bactria area?
4. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
5. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)