|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Massago, what action did Alexander take with his army?
(a) He paid them to marry Massago women.
(b) He dismissed any man who did not believe in the mission.
(c) He split his army up.
(d) He executed the majority of his soldiers.
2. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
3. What role did Alexander envision his Successors would have?
(a) They would travel back to Athens to teach philosophy and science.
(b) They would battle to become king after he died.
(c) They would be officers in his army.
(d) They would be mayors of the various cities he conquered.
4. Why was Darius murdered?
(a) Darius was murdered so that Alexander could not capture him and have an orderly succession.
(b) Darius was murdered in a ransom gone wrong.
(c) Darius was murdered by the citizens of Persepolis as revenge for the city's sacking.
(d) Darius was murdered in a fit of blind rage.
5. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
6. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
7. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
(a) His mutinous troops forced him to stop.
(b) He wished to settle down and raise a family with Roxanne.
(c) He became frightened, because legend told of an end to the world.
(d) He was told by prophets that further movement would end in disaster.
8. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
(b) He ordered it burned.
(c) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
(d) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
9. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
(a) One year.
(b) Three days.
(c) It immediately surrendered.
(d) Two months.
10. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
(a) He used complex siege tactics with catapults and trebuchets.
(b) He had the leader assassinated.
(c) He used only his most veteran warriors.
(d) He divided his army.
11. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
(a) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
(b) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(c) Bessus only.
(d) Nabarzanes only.
12. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
(a) He claimed to have a visit from his father, Zeus.
(b) Darius' consort betrayed his plans to Alexander.
(c) Alexander's own scouts reported Darius' troop movements.
(d) Captured Persian scouts confessed as much.
13. Roxanne was the daughter to which baron?
14. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) King of the World.
(b) Lord of Asia.
(c) King of the Gaugamelites.
(d) Pharaoh of Egypt.
15. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
(a) Bessus believed Alexander would take a lower pass, but he did not.
(b) Bessus did not think it would take Alexander so long to cross.
(c) Bessus vastly underestimated the size of Alexander's army.
(d) Bessus believed his own troops were better-trained than Alexander's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Alexander marry in a ceremony at Susa?
2. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
3. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
4. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
5. Who did Alexander marry while in India?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)