|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
(a) Bessus only.
(b) Nabarzanes only.
(c) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
(d) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
2. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
(a) He used only his most veteran warriors.
(b) He divided his army.
(c) He had the leader assassinated.
(d) He used complex siege tactics with catapults and trebuchets.
3. In February 324 BC, Alexander arrived in which territory?
(a) Hindu Kush.
(d) The Indian Ocean.
4. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
5. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
(b) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
(c) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(d) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
6. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
7. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
(a) He was nice and generous, as he needed their help.
(b) He recruited all the men of Ambphi into his army.
(c) He skipped the city over, for larger conquests.
(d) He crushed the city in a massacre.
8. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
9. Why didn't Alexander spend much time in Ecbatana?
(a) He was driven out by its citizens.
(b) He was in hot pursuit of Darius.
(c) He was in hot pursuit of Parmenio.
(d) He had to attend to a revolt in Macedonia.
10. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
(a) One year.
(b) Three days.
(c) It immediately surrendered.
(d) Two months.
11. Alexander led his army to which country in the summer of 331 BC?
12. Why was Darius murdered?
(a) Darius was murdered by the citizens of Persepolis as revenge for the city's sacking.
(b) Darius was murdered in a fit of blind rage.
(c) Darius was murdered so that Alexander could not capture him and have an orderly succession.
(d) Darius was murdered in a ransom gone wrong.
13. What initially prevented Alexander from pursuing Bessus after Alexander executed Parmenio?
(a) Alexander had to travel back to Ionia to quell a rebellion.
(b) Alexander had to subdue revolts in the southern satrapies.
(c) Alexander had to seek out an oracle for divine advice.
(d) Alexander fell ill, and stopped to recover.
14. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
(a) North to Russia.
(b) Through the Khyber Pass.
(c) To Arabia.
(d) Back to Macedonia.
15. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
(b) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
(c) He ordered it burned.
(d) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title was given to Alexander after the battle of Gaugamela?
2. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
3. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
4. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
5. How did Bessus die?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)