|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
(d) Jhelum River.
2. What happened with Alexander and his troops at Chenab?
(a) Most of his army drowned in Jhelum River.
(b) A portion of the army tried to murder Alexander.
(c) Alexander's army refused to fight.
(d) Alexander easily routed hostile tribes.
3. Persepolis was the burial place of whom?
(a) Athenian senators.
(b) Macedonian kings.
(c) Alexander's mother.
(d) Achaemenid kings.
4. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
(a) Hindu Kush.
5. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
(a) North to Russia.
(b) Through the Khyber Pass.
(c) Back to Macedonia.
(d) To Arabia.
6. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
(a) By looting the royal treasury of Persepolis.
(b) By levying a large tax on the Greek city-states.
(c) By severely reducing the size of his army.
(d) By holding Darius for ransom.
7. In which month did the battle of Gaugamela take place?
8. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
9. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
(a) They believed Alexander was going to make another push for the Indian Ocean.
(b) They believed Alexander was going to establish a capital in Persia rather than Macedonia.
(c) They believed Alexander was a god who was angry with them.
(d) They believed Alexander was going to abandon them by establishing a capital in Macedonia.
10. What was Alexander's expectation of riches in India, and what in reality did he find there?
(a) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, but in reality he did not acquire much.
(b) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and he was accurate in his prediction.
(c) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and was pleasantly surprised finding many riches there.
(d) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, and indeed he found many riches there.
11. In January 324 BC, Alexander left for which territory?
12. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
13. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
14. How did the ethnic makeup of Alexander's army change by the time he entered India?
(a) There were more Macedonians, and less Persians.
(b) There were more pureblood Greeks, and less mixed-breed slaves.
(c) There were more Africans, and less Persians.
(d) There were more Persians, and less Macedonians.
15. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
(a) His enemy's formidable war elephants.
(b) A great heat wave.
(c) Extremely uncertain footing on the banks of the river.
(d) The fact that most of his army abandoned him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
2. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
3. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
4. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
5. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)