|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
(a) Alexander's own scouts reported Darius' troop movements.
(b) Captured Persian scouts confessed as much.
(c) Darius' consort betrayed his plans to Alexander.
(d) He claimed to have a visit from his father, Zeus.
2. What order did Alexander give when his army reached Persepolis?
(a) He allowed his army to sack the city and kill all males.
(b) He went around the city, avoiding it.
(c) He left the city to his generals, who failed to capture it.
(d) He was accepted peacefully, and there was no bloodshed or plundering.
3. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
4. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
(a) Lord of the Twelve Countries.
(b) The Great Diplomat.
(c) Great King.
(d) Duke of Ionia.
5. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it burned.
(b) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
(c) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
(d) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
6. Who apprehended Bessus?
(a) A group of the Successors.
(c) Darius' former personal bodyguards.
(d) Spitamenas and Soghdian barons.
7. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
(a) Persians were pleased with the marriages, but Macedonians were not pleased.
(b) Macedonians were pleased with the marriages, but Persians were not pleased.
(c) The marriages did not have the desired political effect on either Macedonians or Persians.
(d) Both Macedonians and Persians were very pleased with the marriages.
8. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
9. In January 330 BC, Alexander traveled to which city?
10. How did Bessus die?
(a) He was publicly tried and executed.
(b) He died of an arrow wound.
(c) Alexander beheaded him.
(d) His men mutinied and murdered him.
11. What was the ratio of Persians to Macedonians at Gaugamela?
(a) One-hundred to One.
(b) One to Five.
(c) Five to One.
(d) One to One.
12. Alexander believed which god was his true father?
13. After Darius' death, whom did Alexander appoint as satrap?
14. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
(a) More troops than ever were convinced Alexander was a god.
(b) A large level of distrust.
(c) Open revolt.
(d) Higher loyalty.
15. What action did Alexander take in Opis in 324 BC in regards to his army?
(a) Alexander killed hundreds of men as part of a purge.
(b) Alexander recruited boys as young as ten to act as spies throughout his empire.
(c) Alexander demobilized older troops in favor of younger troops.
(d) Alexander promoted many Persians to officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
2. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
3. What strategy did Alexander use to defeat the Indian army?
4. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
5. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)