|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tyre, all coastal cities fell to Alexander with the exception of which city?
2. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
(a) Alexander had a belief that sexual energy in his men was bad for combat.
(b) Alexander thought Persian women were extraordinarily beautiful.
(c) Alexander believed that Zeus himself had given the order to him.
(d) Alexander believed this would help the men miss their families less.
3. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
(a) North to Russia.
(b) To Arabia.
(c) Through the Khyber Pass.
(d) Back to Macedonia.
4. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
(c) Four hundred.
5. Who apprehended Bessus?
(a) Darius' former personal bodyguards.
(c) Spitamenas and Soghdian barons.
(d) A group of the Successors.
6. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
7. Where did Alexander travel after Gaugamela?
8. Who led the Indian army that opposed Alexander in India?
9. Persepolis was the burial place of whom?
(a) Achaemenid kings.
(b) Athenian senators.
(c) Alexander's mother.
(d) Macedonian kings.
10. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
(a) They were constantly harassed by bandits.
(b) They suffered from bubonic plague.
(c) They lacked food and water.
(d) They suffered from scurvy.
11. In February 324 BC, Alexander arrived in which territory?
(c) Hindu Kush.
(d) The Indian Ocean.
12. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
13. What action did Alexander take in Opis in 324 BC in regards to his army?
(a) Alexander killed hundreds of men as part of a purge.
(b) Alexander promoted many Persians to officers.
(c) Alexander recruited boys as young as ten to act as spies throughout his empire.
(d) Alexander demobilized older troops in favor of younger troops.
14. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
(a) They evacuated the city before he arrived.
(b) They fought and lost a two-month battle.
(c) They welcomed him to their city with open arms.
(d) They offered to give up all their able-bodied males for Alexander's army.
15. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(b) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
(c) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
(d) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
2. At Chenab, what warning did a soothsayer have for Alexander?
3. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
4. How did the ethnic makeup of Alexander's army change by the time he entered India?
5. Who murdered Darius?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)