|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Alexander envision his Successors would have?
(a) They would battle to become king after he died.
(b) They would be mayors of the various cities he conquered.
(c) They would be officers in his army.
(d) They would travel back to Athens to teach philosophy and science.
2. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
3. Who did Alexander marry while in India?
4. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
(a) He made the Indian army leader believe the gods were against him.
(b) He paraded a group of elephants to show the Indian army leader he had an army of elephants.
(c) He let conflicting intelligence about his movements reach the Indian army leader.
(d) He showed only a portion of his army, and kept the majority of the army hidden from view.
5. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
6. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
(a) Darius' consort betrayed his plans to Alexander.
(b) Alexander's own scouts reported Darius' troop movements.
(c) Captured Persian scouts confessed as much.
(d) He claimed to have a visit from his father, Zeus.
7. What initially prevented Alexander from pursuing Bessus after Alexander executed Parmenio?
(a) Alexander had to travel back to Ionia to quell a rebellion.
(b) Alexander had to seek out an oracle for divine advice.
(c) Alexander fell ill, and stopped to recover.
(d) Alexander had to subdue revolts in the southern satrapies.
8. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
(a) Macedonians were pleased with the marriages, but Persians were not pleased.
(b) Persians were pleased with the marriages, but Macedonians were not pleased.
(c) Both Macedonians and Persians were very pleased with the marriages.
(d) The marriages did not have the desired political effect on either Macedonians or Persians.
9. What promise did Alexander make to the citizens of Babylon when entering the city?
(a) He promised to exempt them from taxation.
(b) He promised to kill three men for every one man who resisted.
(c) He promised to restore their god.
(d) He promised to restore Darius to the Persian throne.
10. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
(a) A great heat wave.
(b) The fact that most of his army abandoned him.
(c) Extremely uncertain footing on the banks of the river.
(d) His enemy's formidable war elephants.
11. After Persepolis, which general did Alexander reduce in terms of power and authority?
12. Who did Alexander marry in a ceremony at Susa?
(a) Two wives, one the daughter of Darius.
(b) Seven wives, one for each of the local Indian satraps.
(c) One wife, the daughter of Antipater.
(d) Three wives, one the daughter of Olympias.
13. What was the attitude of Alexander's army after the battle of Gaugamela?
(a) Many were completely willing to travel into the Indian subcontinent.
(b) Alexander had to kill dozens of mutinous soldiers.
(c) The army wished to strike for more pay.
(d) Many wanted to return to Macedonia.
14. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
(a) Four hundred.
15. In which Egyptian city was Alexander proclaimed Pharaoh of Egypt?
Short Answer Questions
1. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
2. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
3. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
4. Why did Alexander travel down the Ravi River in Chenab?
5. Roxanne was the daughter to which baron?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)