|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Antipater believe about Alexander's claims to divinity?
(a) Antipater believed any such claims were nonsense.
(b) Antipater believed Alexander was the evil spawn of Hades.
(c) Antipater believed Alexander was only a minor god.
(d) Antipater believed Alexander was the second coming of Zeus.
2. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
3. In January 330 BC, Alexander traveled to which city?
4. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
(b) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
(c) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
(d) He ordered it burned.
5. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
(a) Persians were pleased with the marriages, but Macedonians were not pleased.
(b) The marriages did not have the desired political effect on either Macedonians or Persians.
(c) Macedonians were pleased with the marriages, but Persians were not pleased.
(d) Both Macedonians and Persians were very pleased with the marriages.
6. Alexander led his army to which country in the summer of 331 BC?
7. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
(a) Seven thousand.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Forty thousand.
(d) He entered Massago peacefully.
8. Who did Alexander marry while in India?
9. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
10. Who did Alexander send to Sousa after leaving Gaugamela?
11. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
(a) Captured Persian scouts confessed as much.
(b) Darius' consort betrayed his plans to Alexander.
(c) Alexander's own scouts reported Darius' troop movements.
(d) He claimed to have a visit from his father, Zeus.
12. When Alexander separated his troops after Massago, where did he send the troops he would not be leading?
(a) North to Russia.
(b) Back to Macedonia.
(c) To Arabia.
(d) Through the Khyber Pass.
13. What was Alexander's expectation of riches in India, and what in reality did he find there?
(a) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and was pleasantly surprised finding many riches there.
(b) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, and indeed he found many riches there.
(c) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, but in reality he did not acquire much.
(d) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and he was accurate in his prediction.
14. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
(a) He became frightened, because legend told of an end to the world.
(b) He was told by prophets that further movement would end in disaster.
(c) He wished to settle down and raise a family with Roxanne.
(d) His mutinous troops forced him to stop.
15. Why were troops concerned with actions Alexander took in Opis in 324 BC?
(a) They believed Alexander was a god who was angry with them.
(b) They believed Alexander was going to abandon them by establishing a capital in Macedonia.
(c) They believed Alexander was going to make another push for the Indian Ocean.
(d) They believed Alexander was going to establish a capital in Persia rather than Macedonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
2. On his march to Pakistan, in what way did Alexander's land-bound troops suffer?
3. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
4. In which Egyptian city was Alexander proclaimed Pharaoh of Egypt?
5. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)