|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Alexander order Parmenio to be executed?
(a) Parmenio was badly wounded in a battle, and Alexander put Parmenio out of his misery.
(b) Alexander believed that Parmenio fell out of favor with the gods.
(c) Alexander believed that Parmenio was plotting to take Alexander's place.
(d) Alexander believed that Parmenio was tainted with a contagious disease.
2. What initially prevented Alexander from pursuing Bessus after Alexander executed Parmenio?
(a) Alexander fell ill, and stopped to recover.
(b) Alexander had to seek out an oracle for divine advice.
(c) Alexander had to subdue revolts in the southern satrapies.
(d) Alexander had to travel back to Ionia to quell a rebellion.
3. What region did Antipater rule as Alexander's regent?
4. In January 324 BC, Alexander left for which territory?
5. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
(a) Having traveled there twice in the past, he was quite knowledgeable about Indian geography.
(b) Aristotle had taught him about the major geographical features of India.
(c) He had no knowledge of Indian geography.
(d) He claimed to have been divinely told about Indian geography, angering his troops.
6. Where did Alexander travel after Gaugamela?
7. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
(a) He was told by prophets that further movement would end in disaster.
(b) He became frightened, because legend told of an end to the world.
(c) He wished to settle down and raise a family with Roxanne.
(d) His mutinous troops forced him to stop.
8. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
9. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
(a) He made the Indian army leader believe the gods were against him.
(b) He showed only a portion of his army, and kept the majority of the army hidden from view.
(c) He let conflicting intelligence about his movements reach the Indian army leader.
(d) He paraded a group of elephants to show the Indian army leader he had an army of elephants.
10. What did Alexander decide to do with Darius' body?
(a) He ordered it taken to Macedonia to be hung from the palace walls.
(b) He ordered it burned.
(c) He ordered it taken to Persepolis for proper burial.
(d) He ordered it to be buried in the spot it was found.
11. What was the effect of the mass marriage ceremony held in Susa in 324 BC?
(a) Macedonians were pleased with the marriages, but Persians were not pleased.
(b) Both Macedonians and Persians were very pleased with the marriages.
(c) The marriages did not have the desired political effect on either Macedonians or Persians.
(d) Persians were pleased with the marriages, but Macedonians were not pleased.
12. What upset Alexander about his time in the Bactria area?
(a) He could not find a suitable mate for a political marriage.
(b) He found much treasure, but had no way to transport it.
(c) He had spent too much time quelling revolts.
(d) His infant son died.
13. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
(c) Hindu Kush.
14. What battle is said to be Alexander's greatest strategic triumph?
(a) Jhelum River.
15. How did the citizens of Pattala react to Alexander's arrival?
(a) They offered to give up all their able-bodied males for Alexander's army.
(b) They evacuated the city before he arrived.
(c) They fought and lost a two-month battle.
(d) They welcomed him to their city with open arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
2. In January 330 BC, Alexander traveled to which city?
3. What strategy did Alexander take in regards to Ambphi?
4. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
5. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)