|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
(a) Duke of Ionia.
(b) Lord of the Twelve Countries.
(c) Great King.
(d) The Great Diplomat.
2. How did the ethnic makeup of Alexander's army change by the time he entered India?
(a) There were more Macedonians, and less Persians.
(b) There were more pureblood Greeks, and less mixed-breed slaves.
(c) There were more Africans, and less Persians.
(d) There were more Persians, and less Macedonians.
3. After Persepolis, which general did Alexander reduce in terms of power and authority?
4. In which Egyptian city was Alexander proclaimed Pharaoh of Egypt?
5. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
(a) Four hundred.
6. What order did Alexander give when his army reached Persepolis?
(a) He went around the city, avoiding it.
(b) He left the city to his generals, who failed to capture it.
(c) He allowed his army to sack the city and kill all males.
(d) He was accepted peacefully, and there was no bloodshed or plundering.
7. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
(a) Higher loyalty.
(b) More troops than ever were convinced Alexander was a god.
(c) Open revolt.
(d) A large level of distrust.
8. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
9. What was Alexander's expectation of riches in India, and what in reality did he find there?
(a) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and he was accurate in his prediction.
(b) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, and indeed he found many riches there.
(c) Alexander had no hopes for Indian riches, and was pleasantly surprised finding many riches there.
(d) Alexander imagined India was full of riches, but in reality he did not acquire much.
10. Persepolis was the burial place of whom?
(a) Alexander's mother.
(b) Athenian senators.
(c) Achaemenid kings.
(d) Macedonian kings.
11. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
(a) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(b) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
(c) Nabarzanes only.
(d) Bessus only.
12. What upset Alexander about his time in the Bactria area?
(a) He had spent too much time quelling revolts.
(b) He could not find a suitable mate for a political marriage.
(c) His infant son died.
(d) He found much treasure, but had no way to transport it.
13. In the summer of 331 BC, where did Darius stage his army?
14. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
15. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Seven thousand.
(c) Forty thousand.
(d) He entered Massago peacefully.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Alexander marry in a ceremony at Susa?
2. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
3. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
4. What promise did Alexander make to the citizens of Babylon when entering the city?
5. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)