|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Antipater's chief rival when Alexander was alive?
2. What happened with Alexander and his troops at Chenab?
(a) Alexander easily routed hostile tribes.
(b) Most of his army drowned in Jhelum River.
(c) A portion of the army tried to murder Alexander.
(d) Alexander's army refused to fight.
3. Roxanne was the daughter to which baron?
4. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) He entered Massago peacefully.
(c) Forty thousand.
(d) Seven thousand.
5. Who led a coup that resulted in Darius losing his crown?
(a) Bessus and Nabarzanes.
(b) Bessus only.
(c) Nabarzanes only.
(d) Bessus and Satibarzanes.
6. Who did Alexander send to Sousa after leaving Gaugamela?
7. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
(a) He became frightened, because legend told of an end to the world.
(b) He wished to settle down and raise a family with Roxanne.
(c) His mutinous troops forced him to stop.
(d) He was told by prophets that further movement would end in disaster.
8. How did Alexander respond to Darius' death?
(a) He pretended that Darius was still alive for political reasons.
(b) He felt his only option was to present himself as Darius' choice for successor.
(c) He abandoned his campaign further east, since he had accomplished his ultimate goal.
(d) He systematically burned all villages to which he came.
9. Who did Alexander marry in a ceremony at Susa?
(a) One wife, the daughter of Antipater.
(b) Seven wives, one for each of the local Indian satraps.
(c) Three wives, one the daughter of Olympias.
(d) Two wives, one the daughter of Darius.
10. At the battle of the Chenab citadel, what rumor gained popularity?
(a) Alexander was dead.
(b) Zeus had visited Alexander in his tent.
(c) Alexander was broke, and had no way to pay the army.
(d) Bessus had escaped execution and now threatened Alexander's army.
11. At Chenab, what warning did a soothsayer have for Alexander?
(a) Alexander was in danger of losing his life.
(b) Alexander had fallen out of favor with the gods.
(c) Alexander may run out of money.
(d) Alexander may lose his sight.
12. Alexander never traveled further than what modern-day territory?
(a) East Egypt.
(b) West Turkey.
(c) East China.
(d) West Pakistan.
13. Who appeared to Alexander in December 325 BC to inform him of the status of his fleet at Hormoz?
14. What mistake did Bessus make in regards to Alexander's crossing of the Hindu Kush?
(a) Bessus believed his own troops were better-trained than Alexander's.
(b) Bessus vastly underestimated the size of Alexander's army.
(c) Bessus did not think it would take Alexander so long to cross.
(d) Bessus believed Alexander would take a lower pass, but he did not.
15. In which Egyptian city was Alexander proclaimed Pharaoh of Egypt?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
2. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
3. To what land did Alexander plan travel to after India?
4. In January 324 BC, Alexander left for which territory?
5. Who apprehended Bessus?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)