|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people did Alexander massacre at Massago?
(a) Forty thousand.
(b) Seven thousand.
(c) He entered Massago peacefully.
(d) Three hundred.
2. What was the name of Alexander's treasurer?
3. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
(a) Alexander believed this would help the men miss their families less.
(b) Alexander believed that Zeus himself had given the order to him.
(c) Alexander thought Persian women were extraordinarily beautiful.
(d) Alexander had a belief that sexual energy in his men was bad for combat.
4. What happened to Alexander in Oxus?
(a) He learned of his mother's death from a messenger.
(b) Many troops mutinied.
(c) He survived an assassination attempt by a former male lover.
(d) He had to order the execution of Parmenio.
5. After Darius was deposed, what title was bestowed upon Bessus?
(a) Duke of Ionia.
(b) Lord of the Twelve Countries.
(c) Great King.
(d) The Great Diplomat.
6. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
(b) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
(c) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
(d) Darius had regathered his forces there.
7. What happened to Harpalus when Alexander initially purged his satraps?
(a) Harpalus was tried and found innocent of all charges.
(b) Harpalus was tried and imprisoned for a long while.
(c) Harpalus managed to escape Alexander's wrath.
(d) Harpalus was executed by Alexander.
8. After Persepolis, which general did Alexander reduce in terms of power and authority?
9. What promise did Alexander make to the citizens of Babylon when entering the city?
(a) He promised to kill three men for every one man who resisted.
(b) He promised to exempt them from taxation.
(c) He promised to restore their god.
(d) He promised to restore Darius to the Persian throne.
10. On what island did Alexander build the city of Alexandria?
11. How did Bessus die?
(a) He was publicly tried and executed.
(b) He died of an arrow wound.
(c) His men mutinied and murdered him.
(d) Alexander beheaded him.
12. After Persepolis, to what city did Alexander travel?
13. How long did Alexander spend in Egypt in total?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three months.
(c) Fourteen months.
(d) Three days.
14. By July 325 BC, Alexander had reached what territory?
(a) Hindu Kush.
15. What was Alexander's extent of knowledge of Indian geography, upon entering India?
(a) Having traveled there twice in the past, he was quite knowledgeable about Indian geography.
(b) Aristotle had taught him about the major geographical features of India.
(c) He had no knowledge of Indian geography.
(d) He claimed to have been divinely told about Indian geography, angering his troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
2. After Massago, what action did Alexander take with his army?
3. What upset Alexander about his time in the Bactria area?
4. Where did Alexander travel after Gaugamela?
5. What action did Alexander take in Opis in 324 BC in regards to his army?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)