|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
2. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
(a) A male-dominated world of feasts and professional soldiers.
(b) A quiet life involving religious contemplation.
(c) A female-dominated world of waiting women and artists.
(d) A peasant life of hard work in the fields.
3. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
4. Mieza was known for what export?
5. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
6. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
(a) Alexander was shy and unassuming, and cared little for glory.
(b) Alexander was jealous of his father's military conquests.
(c) Alexander never held grudges, and was always quick to forgive.
(d) Alexander loathed his mother and much preferred his father.
7. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
(a) The Spartans.
(b) The Egyptians.
(c) The Athenians.
(d) The Assyrians.
8. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
9. At what event was Philip assassinated?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A speech to the Macedonian assembly.
(c) A battle.
(d) A peace negotiation.
10. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
11. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
12. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
(a) Its citizens were violent religious zealots.
(b) Its army was exceedingly well trained.
(c) It was located on an island, and had walls on the shores.
(d) It received funding for warships from Demosthenes.
13. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
(a) Hedonistic view on life.
(c) Scientific curiosity.
(d) Analytical mind.
14. Where was Philip when Alexander first led the troops, quelling a rebellion?
(a) With Olympias in Egypt.
(b) In Mieza.
(c) By his side, overseeing the operation.
(d) Involved in the Byzantine campaign.
15. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
(a) New Smyrna.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
2. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
3. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
5. While in Gordium, what did Alexander take as a sign from Zeus to continue his campaign?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)