|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
(a) She feared him and felt terrorized by him.
(b) She never knew Alexander.
(c) She envied and hated Alexander.
(d) The two were very close.
2. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
(b) Arrested and tortured Philip.
(c) Tried to poison Philip.
(d) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
3. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) A slanted infantry line.
(b) He used elephants in war for the first time.
(c) Ranged combat with archers.
(d) Shields for the front line.
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
(a) He demanded that the leaders of the revolt surrender.
(b) He demanded all of the city's gold reserves.
(c) He demanded all religious iconography in the city to be destroyed.
(d) He demanded that all the men of Thebes be imprisoned.
5. Who was the mother of Alexander?
6. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
7. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
(b) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
(c) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(d) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
8. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
(a) Upper Macedonia and Lower Macedonia.
(b) Jungle Macedonia and Desert Macedonia.
(c) Eastern Macedonia and Western Macedonia.
(d) North, East, South, and West Macedonia.
9. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
10. In which year did the Persians capture Sidon from the Greeks?
(a) 785 BC.
(b) 114 AD.
(c) 202 BC.
(d) 345 BC.
11. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
(b) Philip and Alexander.
(c) Alexander only.
(d) Philip only.
12. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
13. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
14. Which city refused to help Tyre in Alexander's siege?
15. At what event was Philip assassinated?
(a) A speech to the Macedonian assembly.
(b) A battle.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A peace negotiation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the ultimate result of the uprising of Thebes in 335 BC?
2. During the battle of Granicus River, where was Alexander located?
3. What monument was built in response to events after the battle of Chaeronaea?
4. What important battle took place in August 338?
5. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)