|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
2. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
3. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
(b) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
(c) Philip was soundly defeated.
(d) Philip won a decisive victory.
4. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
(a) A causeway.
(b) A Trojan horse.
(c) The first submarine.
(d) A monument to Zeus.
5. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
(a) The Warrior Eagles.
(b) Ground Quake.
(c) The Foot Companions.
(d) The Fighting Macedons.
6. Who assassinated Philip?
(c) A jealous former male lover.
7. How many troops did Alexander capture and enslave in the battle of Granicus River?
(a) Two thousand.
(b) Ten thousand.
(c) Three hundred.
8. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
(a) The Spartans.
(b) The Athenians.
(c) The Assyrians.
(d) The Egyptians.
9. How did Darius of Persia respond to the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
(a) He did not support it, and tried to conquer the city himself.
(b) He supported it, knowing that it would stall Alexander from invading Persia.
(c) He did not support it, preferring to let the Greeks handle their own affairs.
(d) He supported it, because he was a staunch ally of Thebes.
10. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
(d) New Smyrna.
11. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
12. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
(a) He took money from the town in order to leave it alone.
(b) He sold all of the town's men into slavery.
(c) He hired many mercenaries from the town.
(d) He razed the town to the ground.
13. How many years did Alexander study with Aristotle?
14. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
(a) A quiet life involving religious contemplation.
(b) A male-dominated world of feasts and professional soldiers.
(c) A peasant life of hard work in the fields.
(d) A female-dominated world of waiting women and artists.
15. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
(a) Desert warfare.
(b) Amphibious warfare.
(c) Naval warfare.
(d) Mountain warfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what site did Alexander finally meet Darius himself in battle?
2. Which of the following BEST describes the final strategy Alexander used to enter Tyre?
3. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
4. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
5. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)