|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the Persian invasion of Greece called off?
(a) Alexander soundly defeated Memnon in Phoenicia.
(b) Memnon died unexpectedly.
(c) Darius ran out of money.
(d) A great earthquake was taken as a sign to call off the invasion.
2. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
(a) Philip recognized it, and plotted with Olympias to kill Alexander.
(b) Philip recognized it, but thought Alexander was no threat.
(c) Philip did not recognize it, and Alexander seized power under his nose.
(d) Philip recognized it and tried to sire an alternate heir to Alexander.
3. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
(b) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
(c) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(d) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
4. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
5. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
6. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
(a) 320 BC.
(b) 128 AD.
(c) 480 BC.
(d) 335 BC.
7. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
(b) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
(c) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
(d) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
8. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Tried to poison Philip.
(b) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
(c) Arrested and tortured Philip.
(d) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
9. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
10. Which of the following BEST describes the final strategy Alexander used to enter Tyre?
(a) He cast dead bodies over the walls, spreading contagion and forcing surrender.
(b) He starved its citizens into submission.
(c) He forced Tyrian ships to a north harbor, and breached the city wall from the south.
(d) He used the front of a ship as a battering ram.
11. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
(a) City leaders demanded that Alexander conquer their enemy, Thrace.
(b) City leaders demanded the surrender of two of Alexander's military leaders.
(c) City leaders demanded Alexander relinquish the Macedonian crown.
(d) City leaders demanded that their women survive unharmed.
12. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
13. At what site did Alexander finally meet Darius himself in battle?
14. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
15. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
2. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
3. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
4. What was Philip's stance on Panhellenism?
5. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)