|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
2. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
3. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
(a) Desert warfare.
(b) Naval warfare.
(c) Amphibious warfare.
(d) Mountain warfare.
4. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
5. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
(b) Double-bladed axe.
(d) Short sword.
6. How many years did Alexander study with Aristotle?
7. In which year did the Persians capture Sidon from the Greeks?
(a) 202 BC.
(b) 114 AD.
(c) 785 BC.
(d) 345 BC.
8. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
9. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
(a) He was unable to untie the knot, in the end.
(b) He attached horses to either end and had them run in opposite directions.
(c) He painstakingly unraveled it.
(d) He cut it in half with a sword.
10. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
(a) Darius fired Memnon in order to personally lead the troops.
(b) Darius married Ada to force a political/military alliance.
(c) Memnon began capturing islands off the coast.
(d) Memnon captured Athens to use as a base of operations.
11. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
(a) He forced a sea war, as opposed to a war on land.
(b) He married a rival queen to forge peace.
(c) He forced a land war, as opposed to a war on the sea.
(d) He used ballista for the first time in a battle.
12. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
(a) 335 BC.
(b) 480 BC.
(c) 128 AD.
(d) 320 BC.
13. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
(a) Ground Quake.
(b) The Foot Companions.
(c) The Warrior Eagles.
(d) The Fighting Macedons.
14. What important battle took place in August 338?
(a) The battle of Chaeronaea.
(b) The battle of Jhelum River.
(c) The battle of Thebes.
(d) The battle of Peloponnesia.
15. What action did Alexander take before and after crossing the Dardanelles River in the Persian campaign?
(a) He ritualistically bathed the entire army.
(b) He built altars to the gods.
(c) He murdered townspeople on either side of the river.
(d) He burned all the crops on the shores of the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was NOT one of the actions Alexander took after his father was murdered?
2. In the summer of 939, with what threat did Philip have to contend?
3. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
4. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
5. How did Darius of Persia respond to the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)