|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
2. Why was the Persian invasion of Greece called off?
(a) Memnon died unexpectedly.
(b) Alexander soundly defeated Memnon in Phoenicia.
(c) A great earthquake was taken as a sign to call off the invasion.
(d) Darius ran out of money.
3. At what event was Philip assassinated?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A speech to the Macedonian assembly.
(c) A peace negotiation.
(d) A battle.
4. Where was Philip when Alexander first led the troops, quelling a rebellion?
(a) By his side, overseeing the operation.
(b) In Mieza.
(c) With Olympias in Egypt.
(d) Involved in the Byzantine campaign.
5. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
(a) The Persians took the city from Alexander, but Alexander had the city burned.
(b) Alexander took the city from the Persians, but the Persians set fire to most of the city.
(c) Alexander was triumphant, killing Memnon and ending his Persian campaign.
(d) The Persians were defeated, but they scored an important victory in destroying Alexander's naval power.
6. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) A slanted infantry line.
(b) Shields for the front line.
(c) Ranged combat with archers.
(d) He used elephants in war for the first time.
7. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
(a) Memnon of Rhodes.
(b) Xerxes I.
8. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip was soundly defeated.
(b) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
(c) Philip won a decisive victory.
(d) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
9. What political deal did Alexander strike with queen Ada in Allinda?
(a) He exiled her, rather than executing her outright.
(b) He agreed to marry her, so that he might become the leader of Allinda.
(c) He supported her in regaining her position in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
(d) He agreed to keep all of her city officials in place, in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
10. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
(a) He took money from the town in order to leave it alone.
(b) He hired many mercenaries from the town.
(c) He razed the town to the ground.
(d) He sold all of the town's men into slavery.
11. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
(a) Macedonia was left in a very prosperous state.
(b) Philip died in debt.
(c) Macedonia was barely making money.
(d) Macedonia was bankrupt, and citizens were fleeing the country.
12. What action did Alexander take before and after crossing the Dardanelles River in the Persian campaign?
(a) He murdered townspeople on either side of the river.
(b) He built altars to the gods.
(c) He burned all the crops on the shores of the river.
(d) He ritualistically bathed the entire army.
13. How many troops did Alexander capture and enslave in the battle of Granicus River?
(a) Ten thousand.
(b) Three hundred.
(d) Two thousand.
14. What was the ultimate result of the uprising of Thebes in 335 BC?
(a) Thebes' citizens were massacred and the city was burned to the ground.
(b) Thebes' citizens were massacred, but the city was left as a fortress.
(c) Thebes' brokered a peace and became part of Alexander's kingdom.
(d) The city was burned to the ground, but Alexander spared all its citizens.
15. While in Gordium, what did Alexander take as a sign from Zeus to continue his campaign?
(a) A calf born with two heads.
(b) A thunderstorm.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A hawk landing on a statue of Zeus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
2. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
3. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
4. At what site did Alexander finally meet Darius himself in battle?
5. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)