|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
2. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
3. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) A slanted infantry line.
(b) Shields for the front line.
(c) Ranged combat with archers.
(d) He used elephants in war for the first time.
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
(a) He demanded all religious iconography in the city to be destroyed.
(b) He demanded all of the city's gold reserves.
(c) He demanded that the leaders of the revolt surrender.
(d) He demanded that all the men of Thebes be imprisoned.
5. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
(b) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(c) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
(d) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
6. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
(d) Animal handlers.
7. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
(a) A peasant life of hard work in the fields.
(b) A male-dominated world of feasts and professional soldiers.
(c) A female-dominated world of waiting women and artists.
(d) A quiet life involving religious contemplation.
8. What kind of military leader was King Philip?
(a) He relied heavily on improvisation and instinct.
(b) He did not keep much of an army during his reign.
(c) He was a procrastinator who did not insist on high standards.
(d) He was a strict disciplinarian.
9. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
10. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
(a) He acquired Lydia.
(b) He gained control of revenue in the province.
(c) He acquired Ionia.
(d) He kept existing city officials in place.
11. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
(a) The two were very close.
(b) She never knew Alexander.
(c) She feared him and felt terrorized by him.
(d) She envied and hated Alexander.
12. What important battle took place in August 338?
(a) The battle of Chaeronaea.
(b) The battle of Jhelum River.
(c) The battle of Thebes.
(d) The battle of Peloponnesia.
13. In which year did the Persians capture Sidon from the Greeks?
(a) 785 BC.
(b) 202 BC.
(c) 114 AD.
(d) 345 BC.
14. Mieza was known for what export?
15. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
(a) He proposed another peace settlement.
(b) He relinquished the throne and fled.
(c) He captured the neighboring city of Sidon.
(d) He tried to recapture the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
2. Which of the following was NOT captured by Alexander at Damascus?
3. Who was the mother of Alexander?
4. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
5. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)