|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
(a) He demanded that the leaders of the revolt surrender.
(b) He demanded all of the city's gold reserves.
(c) He demanded all religious iconography in the city to be destroyed.
(d) He demanded that all the men of Thebes be imprisoned.
2. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
(a) Eastern Macedonia and Western Macedonia.
(b) North, East, South, and West Macedonia.
(c) Upper Macedonia and Lower Macedonia.
(d) Jungle Macedonia and Desert Macedonia.
3. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
(a) A male-dominated world of feasts and professional soldiers.
(b) A peasant life of hard work in the fields.
(c) A female-dominated world of waiting women and artists.
(d) A quiet life involving religious contemplation.
4. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
5. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
6. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) A slanted infantry line.
(b) Shields for the front line.
(c) Ranged combat with archers.
(d) He used elephants in war for the first time.
7. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
8. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
(a) Memnon captured Athens to use as a base of operations.
(b) Darius fired Memnon in order to personally lead the troops.
(c) Darius married Ada to force a political/military alliance.
(d) Memnon began capturing islands off the coast.
9. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
(a) The two were very close.
(b) She feared him and felt terrorized by him.
(c) She envied and hated Alexander.
(d) She never knew Alexander.
10. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
(b) Arrested and tortured Philip.
(c) Tried to poison Philip.
(d) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
11. What important battle took place in August 338?
(a) The battle of Thebes.
(b) The battle of Jhelum River.
(c) The battle of Peloponnesia.
(d) The battle of Chaeronaea.
12. At what event was Philip assassinated?
(a) A speech to the Macedonian assembly.
(b) A battle.
(c) A peace negotiation.
(d) A wedding.
13. What was the ultimate result of the uprising of Thebes in 335 BC?
(a) Thebes' citizens were massacred and the city was burned to the ground.
(b) Thebes' citizens were massacred, but the city was left as a fortress.
(c) Thebes' brokered a peace and became part of Alexander's kingdom.
(d) The city was burned to the ground, but Alexander spared all its citizens.
14. Where was Alexander the Great born?
15. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
(a) Philip and Alexander.
(b) Alexander only.
(d) Philip only.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
2. In the summer of 939, with what threat did Philip have to contend?
3. During the battle of Granicus River, where was Alexander located?
4. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
5. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)