|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
(a) The Warrior Eagles.
(b) Ground Quake.
(c) The Fighting Macedons.
(d) The Foot Companions.
2. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
3. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
4. When did Alexander begin his war against the Persians?
(a) 334 BC.
(b) 315 BC.
(c) 117 AD.
(d) 348 BC.
5. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
6. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
(b) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
(c) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
(d) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
7. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
(b) New Smyrna.
8. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
(a) Memnon captured Athens to use as a base of operations.
(b) Darius fired Memnon in order to personally lead the troops.
(c) Darius married Ada to force a political/military alliance.
(d) Memnon began capturing islands off the coast.
9. What acted as a restraint on the power wielded by the King of Macedon?
(a) He was not allowed to personally lead the army.
(b) He could be voted out by the Macedonian assembly.
(c) His wives were chosen by the Macedonian assembly.
(d) He could not engage in foreign policy decisions.
10. During the battle of Granicus River, where was Alexander located?
(a) He watched the battle unfold from a nearby hill.
(b) He fought alongside his men.
(c) He was in Pella trying to raise money for the war effort.
(d) He was in Athens receiving further counsel from Aristotle.
11. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
(a) He relinquished the throne and fled.
(b) He tried to recapture the city.
(c) He captured the neighboring city of Sidon.
(d) He proposed another peace settlement.
12. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
(a) He rejected the terms, but allowed Darius to retain his title of King of all Asia.
(b) He accepted the terms, ending his conquest of Persia.
(c) He signed the treaty, but later betrayed Darius by breaking the treaty.
(d) He rejected all terms, vowing to defeat Darius soundly in battle.
13. Which city refused to help Tyre in Alexander's siege?
14. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
15. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
(a) He cut it in half with a sword.
(b) He attached horses to either end and had them run in opposite directions.
(c) He was unable to untie the knot, in the end.
(d) He painstakingly unraveled it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
2. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
3. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
4. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
5. What kind of military leader was King Philip?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)