|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assassinated Philip?
(b) A jealous former male lover.
2. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
(a) A Trojan horse.
(b) A monument to Zeus.
(c) The first submarine.
(d) A causeway.
3. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
4. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
(a) A female-dominated world of waiting women and artists.
(b) A quiet life involving religious contemplation.
(c) A peasant life of hard work in the fields.
(d) A male-dominated world of feasts and professional soldiers.
5. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
6. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
(a) Darius married Ada to force a political/military alliance.
(b) Memnon began capturing islands off the coast.
(c) Darius fired Memnon in order to personally lead the troops.
(d) Memnon captured Athens to use as a base of operations.
7. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
8. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
(a) Upper Macedonia and Lower Macedonia.
(b) Jungle Macedonia and Desert Macedonia.
(c) Eastern Macedonia and Western Macedonia.
(d) North, East, South, and West Macedonia.
9. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Tried to poison Philip.
(b) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
(c) Arrested and tortured Philip.
(d) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
10. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
(a) Unlike Miletus, Alexander spared the people of Thebes.
(b) Unlike Miletus, Alexander skipped Thebes over and did not enter it.
(c) Unlike Thebes, Alexander spared the people of Miletus.
(d) Unlike Thebes, Alexander skipped Miletus over and did not enter it.
11. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
(a) He hired many mercenaries from the town.
(b) He razed the town to the ground.
(c) He sold all of the town's men into slavery.
(d) He took money from the town in order to leave it alone.
12. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) He used elephants in war for the first time.
(b) Ranged combat with archers.
(c) Shields for the front line.
(d) A slanted infantry line.
13. Which city refused to help Tyre in Alexander's siege?
14. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
(a) Its citizens were violent religious zealots.
(b) It was located on an island, and had walls on the shores.
(c) Its army was exceedingly well trained.
(d) It received funding for warships from Demosthenes.
15. How many troops did Alexander capture and enslave in the battle of Granicus River?
(a) Two thousand.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Ten thousand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
2. While in Gordium, what did Alexander take as a sign from Zeus to continue his campaign?
3. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
4. How could Macedonia be characterized prior to Philip's rule?
5. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)