|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
(a) Alexander held a series of legendary and expensive feasts.
(b) Alexander had imported animals from all around the world for a zoo.
(c) Alexander had refused to tax the citizens.
(d) Alexander had built a host of war machines at great cost.
2. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
3. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
(a) Upper Macedonia and Lower Macedonia.
(b) North, East, South, and West Macedonia.
(c) Eastern Macedonia and Western Macedonia.
(d) Jungle Macedonia and Desert Macedonia.
4. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
(a) He accepted the terms, ending his conquest of Persia.
(b) He rejected all terms, vowing to defeat Darius soundly in battle.
(c) He rejected the terms, but allowed Darius to retain his title of King of all Asia.
(d) He signed the treaty, but later betrayed Darius by breaking the treaty.
5. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
(b) Short sword.
(d) Double-bladed axe.
6. Where was Alexander the Great born?
7. Which of the following BEST describes the final strategy Alexander used to enter Tyre?
(a) He used the front of a ship as a battering ram.
(b) He starved its citizens into submission.
(c) He forced Tyrian ships to a north harbor, and breached the city wall from the south.
(d) He cast dead bodies over the walls, spreading contagion and forcing surrender.
8. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
9. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
10. What political deal did Alexander strike with queen Ada in Allinda?
(a) He agreed to marry her, so that he might become the leader of Allinda.
(b) He exiled her, rather than executing her outright.
(c) He agreed to keep all of her city officials in place, in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
(d) He supported her in regaining her position in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
11. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
12. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
(a) Its citizens were violent religious zealots.
(b) It was located on an island, and had walls on the shores.
(c) It received funding for warships from Demosthenes.
(d) Its army was exceedingly well trained.
13. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
14. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) A slanted infantry line.
(b) Ranged combat with archers.
(c) He used elephants in war for the first time.
(d) Shields for the front line.
15. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip won a decisive victory.
(b) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
(c) Philip was soundly defeated.
(d) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT captured by Alexander at Damascus?
2. While in Gordium, what did Alexander take as a sign from Zeus to continue his campaign?
3. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
4. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
5. What was NOT one of the actions Alexander took after his father was murdered?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)