|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Arrested and tortured Philip.
(b) Tried to poison Philip.
(c) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
(d) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
2. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
3. At what site did Alexander finally meet Darius himself in battle?
4. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
5. How many years did Alexander study with Aristotle?
6. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
(a) 480 BC.
(b) 320 BC.
(c) 128 AD.
(d) 335 BC.
7. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip was soundly defeated.
(b) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
(c) Philip won a decisive victory.
(d) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
8. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
(a) He cut it in half with a sword.
(b) He painstakingly unraveled it.
(c) He attached horses to either end and had them run in opposite directions.
(d) He was unable to untie the knot, in the end.
9. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
10. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
(b) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
(c) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
(d) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
11. What political deal did Alexander strike with queen Ada in Allinda?
(a) He exiled her, rather than executing her outright.
(b) He agreed to keep all of her city officials in place, in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
(c) He agreed to marry her, so that he might become the leader of Allinda.
(d) He supported her in regaining her position in exchange for her naming him as her successor.
12. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
13. Which of the following was NOT captured by Alexander at Damascus?
(a) Relatives of Persian commanders.
(b) The Persian royal treasure.
(c) Ambassadors from Thebes and Sparta.
(d) Darius' bride Stateira.
14. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
15. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
(a) Alexander was jealous of his father's military conquests.
(b) Alexander never held grudges, and was always quick to forgive.
(c) Alexander loathed his mother and much preferred his father.
(d) Alexander was shy and unassuming, and cared little for glory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
2. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
3. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
4. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
5. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)