|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
2. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(b) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
(c) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
(d) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
3. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
(a) He captured the neighboring city of Sidon.
(b) He relinquished the throne and fled.
(c) He proposed another peace settlement.
(d) He tried to recapture the city.
4. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
(a) Darius married Ada to force a political/military alliance.
(b) Darius fired Memnon in order to personally lead the troops.
(c) Memnon captured Athens to use as a base of operations.
(d) Memnon began capturing islands off the coast.
5. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip was soundly defeated.
(b) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
(c) Philip won a decisive victory.
(d) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
6. How did Darius of Persia respond to the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
(a) He supported it, because he was a staunch ally of Thebes.
(b) He supported it, knowing that it would stall Alexander from invading Persia.
(c) He did not support it, and tried to conquer the city himself.
(d) He did not support it, preferring to let the Greeks handle their own affairs.
7. At what age was Alexander appointed Regent of Macedonia?
8. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
(a) Its citizens were violent religious zealots.
(b) It was located on an island, and had walls on the shores.
(c) Its army was exceedingly well trained.
(d) It received funding for warships from Demosthenes.
9. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
(a) Philip died in debt.
(b) Macedonia was bankrupt, and citizens were fleeing the country.
(c) Macedonia was left in a very prosperous state.
(d) Macedonia was barely making money.
10. What was Philip's stance on Panhellenism?
(a) He was indifferent, since the movement did not affect him.
(b) He tolerated it only if he could use it to his advantage.
(c) He hated the notion, and worked against it at every turn.
(d) He was raised to respect and embrace the movement.
11. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
12. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
(a) City leaders demanded that their women survive unharmed.
(b) City leaders demanded that Alexander conquer their enemy, Thrace.
(c) City leaders demanded the surrender of two of Alexander's military leaders.
(d) City leaders demanded Alexander relinquish the Macedonian crown.
13. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
(a) He attached horses to either end and had them run in opposite directions.
(b) He was unable to untie the knot, in the end.
(c) He painstakingly unraveled it.
(d) He cut it in half with a sword.
14. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
(b) Philip and Alexander.
(c) Alexander only.
(d) Philip only.
15. Who was the mother of Alexander?
Short Answer Questions
1. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
2. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
3. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
4. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
5. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)