|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what event was Philip assassinated?
(a) A battle.
(b) A peace negotiation.
(c) A speech to the Macedonian assembly.
(d) A wedding.
2. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
(a) He demanded that all the men of Thebes be imprisoned.
(b) He demanded all of the city's gold reserves.
(c) He demanded all religious iconography in the city to be destroyed.
(d) He demanded that the leaders of the revolt surrender.
3. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
(a) Double-bladed axe.
(b) Short sword.
4. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
(a) He acquired Lydia.
(b) He gained control of revenue in the province.
(c) He acquired Ionia.
(d) He kept existing city officials in place.
5. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
6. What important battle took place in August 338?
(a) The battle of Peloponnesia.
(b) The battle of Jhelum River.
(c) The battle of Thebes.
(d) The battle of Chaeronaea.
7. Which of the following was NOT captured by Alexander at Damascus?
(a) Relatives of Persian commanders.
(b) Darius' bride Stateira.
(c) The Persian royal treasure.
(d) Ambassadors from Thebes and Sparta.
8. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
(a) He cut it in half with a sword.
(b) He was unable to untie the knot, in the end.
(c) He attached horses to either end and had them run in opposite directions.
(d) He painstakingly unraveled it.
9. How could Macedonia be characterized prior to Philip's rule?
(a) Weak and insignificant.
(b) Warlike and imperial.
(c) Mystical and feared.
(d) Peaceful and powerful.
10. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
(a) The Warrior Eagles.
(b) Ground Quake.
(c) The Foot Companions.
(d) The Fighting Macedons.
11. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
(b) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
(c) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(d) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
12. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
(a) The first submarine.
(b) A monument to Zeus.
(c) A causeway.
(d) A Trojan horse.
13. What was different between the way Alexander handled Miletus versus Thebes?
(a) Unlike Thebes, Alexander spared the people of Miletus.
(b) Unlike Miletus, Alexander spared the people of Thebes.
(c) Unlike Miletus, Alexander skipped Thebes over and did not enter it.
(d) Unlike Thebes, Alexander skipped Miletus over and did not enter it.
14. What acted as a restraint on the power wielded by the King of Macedon?
(a) His wives were chosen by the Macedonian assembly.
(b) He could be voted out by the Macedonian assembly.
(c) He could not engage in foreign policy decisions.
(d) He was not allowed to personally lead the army.
15. In what year was Alexander the Great born?
(a) 3 AD.
(b) 356 BC.
(c) 120 AD.
(d) 808 BC.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
2. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
3. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
4. Where was Philip when Alexander first led the troops, quelling a rebellion?
5. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)