|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip was soundly defeated.
(b) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
(c) Philip won a decisive victory.
(d) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
2. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
3. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
(a) He acquired Lydia.
(b) He acquired Ionia.
(c) He gained control of revenue in the province.
(d) He kept existing city officials in place.
4. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
5. Where did Alexander begin his studies with Aristotle?
6. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
7. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
(a) He proposed another peace settlement.
(b) He relinquished the throne and fled.
(c) He tried to recapture the city.
(d) He captured the neighboring city of Sidon.
8. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
9. Which of the following BEST describes the final strategy Alexander used to enter Tyre?
(a) He cast dead bodies over the walls, spreading contagion and forcing surrender.
(b) He starved its citizens into submission.
(c) He forced Tyrian ships to a north harbor, and breached the city wall from the south.
(d) He used the front of a ship as a battering ram.
10. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
(a) Mountain warfare.
(b) Desert warfare.
(c) Amphibious warfare.
(d) Naval warfare.
11. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
(a) Alexander had imported animals from all around the world for a zoo.
(b) Alexander had refused to tax the citizens.
(c) Alexander had built a host of war machines at great cost.
(d) Alexander held a series of legendary and expensive feasts.
12. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
(b) Analytical mind.
(c) Hedonistic view on life.
(d) Scientific curiosity.
13. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
14. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
(a) Alexander loathed his mother and much preferred his father.
(b) Alexander never held grudges, and was always quick to forgive.
(c) Alexander was shy and unassuming, and cared little for glory.
(d) Alexander was jealous of his father's military conquests.
15. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
2. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
3. What did Alexander and his army build in order to lay siege to Tyre?
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
5. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)