|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
(a) She never knew Alexander.
(b) She feared him and felt terrorized by him.
(c) She envied and hated Alexander.
(d) The two were very close.
2. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
3. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
4. After Issus, Darius supplied the king of which territory with Persian ships?
5. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
(a) He captured the neighboring city of Sidon.
(b) He proposed another peace settlement.
(c) He relinquished the throne and fled.
(d) He tried to recapture the city.
6. What acted as a restraint on the power wielded by the King of Macedon?
(a) He was not allowed to personally lead the army.
(b) He could be voted out by the Macedonian assembly.
(c) His wives were chosen by the Macedonian assembly.
(d) He could not engage in foreign policy decisions.
7. What important battle took place in August 338?
(a) The battle of Chaeronaea.
(b) The battle of Thebes.
(c) The battle of Peloponnesia.
(d) The battle of Jhelum River.
8. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
(a) Alexander loathed his mother and much preferred his father.
(b) Alexander was jealous of his father's military conquests.
(c) Alexander was shy and unassuming, and cared little for glory.
(d) Alexander never held grudges, and was always quick to forgive.
9. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
(a) He demanded all of the city's gold reserves.
(b) He demanded that the leaders of the revolt surrender.
(c) He demanded that all the men of Thebes be imprisoned.
(d) He demanded all religious iconography in the city to be destroyed.
10. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
11. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
12. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
(b) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
(c) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
(d) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
13. Who was the mother of Alexander?
14. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
15. What was NOT one of the actions Alexander took after his father was murdered?
(a) He had several of his political enemies murdered.
(b) He maintained the overall principles of his father's administration.
(c) He gave key positions to friends returned from exile.
(d) He personally murdered Cleopatra's baby and possible heir to the throne, Cananis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
2. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
3. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
4. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
5. What was Philip's stance on Panhellenism?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)