|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
(a) She never knew Alexander.
(b) The two were very close.
(c) She envied and hated Alexander.
(d) She feared him and felt terrorized by him.
2. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
(c) Animal handlers.
3. In which year did the Persians capture Sidon from the Greeks?
(a) 785 BC.
(b) 114 AD.
(c) 345 BC.
(d) 202 BC.
4. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
5. What was the first town to which Alexander came in the Persian campaign?
6. At what site did Alexander finally meet Darius himself in battle?
7. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
(a) 335 BC.
(b) 480 BC.
(c) 320 BC.
(d) 128 AD.
8. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
(a) He wished to establish a military fort there.
(b) He believed the legendary Fountain of Youth was located there.
(c) He wished to mine for gold and silver.
(d) He wished to conquer the citizens there because of their disrespect.
9. What is the name of the sea east of the Greek mainland?
10. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
(b) Philip and Alexander.
(c) Philip only.
(d) Alexander only.
11. What monument was built in response to events after the battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) The Philippians.
(b) The Hanging Gardens.
(c) The Great Library.
(d) The Alabaster Tower.
12. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
13. Where did Alexander begin his studies with Aristotle?
14. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
(a) Macedonia was left in a very prosperous state.
(b) Philip died in debt.
(c) Macedonia was barely making money.
(d) Macedonia was bankrupt, and citizens were fleeing the country.
15. How did the Persian empire prepare for a planned invasion of the Greek mainland around 334 BC?
(a) Memnon began capturing islands off the coast.
(b) Darius fired Memnon in order to personally lead the troops.
(c) Memnon captured Athens to use as a base of operations.
(d) Darius married Ada to force a political/military alliance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important battle took place in August 338?
2. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
3. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
4. During the battle of Granicus River, where was Alexander located?
5. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)