|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
(a) Upper Macedonia and Lower Macedonia.
(b) Eastern Macedonia and Western Macedonia.
(c) Jungle Macedonia and Desert Macedonia.
(d) North, East, South, and West Macedonia.
2. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
(b) Xerxes I.
(c) Memnon of Rhodes.
3. How could Macedonia be characterized prior to Philip's rule?
(a) Peaceful and powerful.
(b) Weak and insignificant.
(c) Mystical and feared.
(d) Warlike and imperial.
4. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
(b) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
(c) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
(d) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
5. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
6. What city did Alexander have built after the battle of Granicus?
(b) New Smyrna.
7. How many troops did Alexander capture and enslave in the battle of Granicus River?
(a) Ten thousand.
(c) Two thousand.
(d) Three hundred.
8. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
9. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
(a) Philip did not recognize it, and Alexander seized power under his nose.
(b) Philip recognized it and tried to sire an alternate heir to Alexander.
(c) Philip recognized it, and plotted with Olympias to kill Alexander.
(d) Philip recognized it, but thought Alexander was no threat.
10. While sieging Tyre, Alexander traveled to which city for reinforcements and his warships?
11. When did Alexander begin his war against the Persians?
(a) 117 AD.
(b) 334 BC.
(c) 315 BC.
(d) 348 BC.
12. Mieza was known for what export?
13. When King Philip met the Illyrians in battle, how many Illyrians did he kill, approximately?
(a) Nineteen thousand.
(b) One Hundred.
(c) Seven thousand.
(d) Only a handful.
14. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
15. Which Persian king did Alexander oppose in his military campaign?
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
2. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
3. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
4. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
5. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)