|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, pgs. 461 - 488.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 331 BC, how did Alexander learn about Darius' plan to attack him at the Tigris River?
(a) He claimed to have a visit from his father, Zeus.
(b) Darius' consort betrayed his plans to Alexander.
(c) Alexander's own scouts reported Darius' troop movements.
(d) Captured Persian scouts confessed as much.
2. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(b) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
(c) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
(d) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
3. What was the ratio of Persians to Macedonians at Gaugamela?
(a) Five to One.
(b) One-hundred to One.
(c) One to Five.
(d) One to One.
4. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
(a) The fact that most of his army abandoned him.
(b) His enemy's formidable war elephants.
(c) A great heat wave.
(d) Extremely uncertain footing on the banks of the river.
5. What initially prevented Alexander from pursuing Bessus after Alexander executed Parmenio?
(a) Alexander fell ill, and stopped to recover.
(b) Alexander had to travel back to Ionia to quell a rebellion.
(c) Alexander had to subdue revolts in the southern satrapies.
(d) Alexander had to seek out an oracle for divine advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
2. At Chenab, what warning did a soothsayer have for Alexander?
3. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
4. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
5. Which of the following did Alexander NOT do after the battle of Granicus?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)