|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, pgs. 379-412.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the Persian invasion of Greece called off?
(a) A great earthquake was taken as a sign to call off the invasion.
(b) Alexander soundly defeated Memnon in Phoenicia.
(c) Memnon died unexpectedly.
(d) Darius ran out of money.
2. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
(a) Open revolt.
(b) Higher loyalty.
(c) A large level of distrust.
(d) More troops than ever were convinced Alexander was a god.
3. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
(a) He forced a land war, as opposed to a war on the sea.
(b) He married a rival queen to forge peace.
(c) He used ballista for the first time in a battle.
(d) He forced a sea war, as opposed to a war on land.
4. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
(a) It immediately surrendered.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two months.
(d) One year.
5. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
(a) Philip did not recognize it, and Alexander seized power under his nose.
(b) Philip recognized it and tried to sire an alternate heir to Alexander.
(c) Philip recognized it, but thought Alexander was no threat.
(d) Philip recognized it, and plotted with Olympias to kill Alexander.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boys did Alexander choose to become Successors?
2. How did the ethnic makeup of Alexander's army change by the time he entered India?
3. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
4. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
5. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)