|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, pg. 299-349.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
(a) The Persians took the city from Alexander, but Alexander had the city burned.
(b) The Persians were defeated, but they scored an important victory in destroying Alexander's naval power.
(c) Alexander was triumphant, killing Memnon and ending his Persian campaign.
(d) Alexander took the city from the Persians, but the Persians set fire to most of the city.
2. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
(b) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
(c) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
(d) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
3. What was the name of Philip's fifth wife?
4. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) Ranged combat with archers.
(b) Shields for the front line.
(c) He used elephants in war for the first time.
(d) A slanted infantry line.
5. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
(a) He rejected all terms, vowing to defeat Darius soundly in battle.
(b) He signed the treaty, but later betrayed Darius by breaking the treaty.
(c) He rejected the terms, but allowed Darius to retain his title of King of all Asia.
(d) He accepted the terms, ending his conquest of Persia.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
2. After Darius' death, whom did Alexander appoint as satrap?
3. How many years did Alexander study with Aristotle?
4. Which of the following was NOT captured by Alexander at Damascus?
5. Why was Philip interested in the region of Mt. Pangaeus?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)