|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, pg. 299-349.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which was NOT one of the types of troops Alexander included in his army that battled the Persians?
(b) Animal handlers.
2. How long did Gaza hold out against Alexander's pressure?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two months.
(c) One year.
(d) It immediately surrendered.
3. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
(a) The Persians were defeated, but they scored an important victory in destroying Alexander's naval power.
(b) The Persians took the city from Alexander, but Alexander had the city burned.
(c) Alexander took the city from the Persians, but the Persians set fire to most of the city.
(d) Alexander was triumphant, killing Memnon and ending his Persian campaign.
4. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
(a) Alexander only.
(b) Philip only.
(c) Philip and Alexander.
5. Why did Alexander encourage his men to marry in Persia?
(a) Alexander believed that Zeus himself had given the order to him.
(b) Alexander thought Persian women were extraordinarily beautiful.
(c) Alexander had a belief that sexual energy in his men was bad for combat.
(d) Alexander believed this would help the men miss their families less.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
2. Where was Philip when Alexander first led the troops, quelling a rebellion?
3. How could Macedonia be characterized prior to Philip's rule?
4. How many troops did Alexander capture and enslave in the battle of Granicus River?
5. Who did Alexander send to Damascus for the Persian royal treasure?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)