|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Philip's stance on Panhellenism?
(a) He hated the notion, and worked against it at every turn.
(b) He tolerated it only if he could use it to his advantage.
(c) He was raised to respect and embrace the movement.
(d) He was indifferent, since the movement did not affect him.
2. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
(a) A male-dominated world of feasts and professional soldiers.
(b) A peasant life of hard work in the fields.
(c) A quiet life involving religious contemplation.
(d) A female-dominated world of waiting women and artists.
3. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
(a) He sold all of the town's men into slavery.
(b) He took money from the town in order to leave it alone.
(c) He razed the town to the ground.
(d) He hired many mercenaries from the town.
4. What occurred in the siege of Halicarnassus?
(a) The Persians took the city from Alexander, but Alexander had the city burned.
(b) The Persians were defeated, but they scored an important victory in destroying Alexander's naval power.
(c) Alexander was triumphant, killing Memnon and ending his Persian campaign.
(d) Alexander took the city from the Persians, but the Persians set fire to most of the city.
5. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) Ranged combat with archers.
(b) Shields for the front line.
(c) He used elephants in war for the first time.
(d) A slanted infantry line.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the battle of Granicus, Alexander established a base in what location?
2. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
3. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
4. Who killed Amyntus and Caranus?
5. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)