|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 335 BC, who commanded Persian military forces?
(c) Xerxes I.
(d) Memnon of Rhodes.
2. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
(b) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
(c) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
(d) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
3. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
(a) Alexander never held grudges, and was always quick to forgive.
(b) Alexander loathed his mother and much preferred his father.
(c) Alexander was shy and unassuming, and cared little for glory.
(d) Alexander was jealous of his father's military conquests.
4. When King Philip met the Illyrians in battle, how many Illyrians did he kill, approximately?
(a) Nineteen thousand.
(b) Only a handful.
(c) Seven thousand.
(d) One Hundred.
5. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) He used elephants in war for the first time.
(b) Shields for the front line.
(c) Ranged combat with archers.
(d) A slanted infantry line.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
2. Where was Philip when Alexander first led the troops, quelling a rebellion?
3. What monument was built in response to events after the battle of Chaeronaea?
4. How did Darius of Persia respond to the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
5. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)