|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
(a) He married a rival queen to forge peace.
(b) He forced a sea war, as opposed to a war on land.
(c) He used ballista for the first time in a battle.
(d) He forced a land war, as opposed to a war on the sea.
2. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
(b) Philip was soundly defeated.
(c) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
(d) Philip won a decisive victory.
3. Who was the mother of Alexander?
4. Who led the troops in an August 338 battle?
(a) Philip and Alexander.
(b) Alexander only.
(d) Philip only.
5. Which of the following statements is true of Alexander as a boy?
(a) Alexander loathed his mother and much preferred his father.
(b) Alexander never held grudges, and was always quick to forgive.
(c) Alexander was shy and unassuming, and cared little for glory.
(d) Alexander was jealous of his father's military conquests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
2. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
3. What city state did Alexander attack in 336 BC as he pushed toward the Danube River?
4. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
5. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)