|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, pgs. 412-437.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following BEST describes the final strategy Alexander used to enter Tyre?
(a) He forced Tyrian ships to a north harbor, and breached the city wall from the south.
(b) He used the front of a ship as a battering ram.
(c) He starved its citizens into submission.
(d) He cast dead bodies over the walls, spreading contagion and forcing surrender.
2. How did Alexander finance his campaign into the Indian subcontinent?
(a) By levying a large tax on the Greek city-states.
(b) By looting the royal treasury of Persepolis.
(c) By holding Darius for ransom.
(d) By severely reducing the size of his army.
3. How did Alexander deal with the Gordian Knot?
(a) He was unable to untie the knot, in the end.
(b) He attached horses to either end and had them run in opposite directions.
(c) He cut it in half with a sword.
(d) He painstakingly unraveled it.
4. Why was the Persian invasion of Greece called off?
(a) Memnon died unexpectedly.
(b) Darius ran out of money.
(c) Alexander soundly defeated Memnon in Phoenicia.
(d) A great earthquake was taken as a sign to call off the invasion.
5. Which BEST characterizes Olympias' relationship with Alexander?
(a) She never knew Alexander.
(b) She envied and hated Alexander.
(c) The two were very close.
(d) She feared him and felt terrorized by him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general troop reaction to Alexander's execution of Parmenio?
2. How did Alexander respond to Darius' settlement offer after Issus?
3. Who did Alexander marry while in India?
4. Where did Darius offer a settlement to Alexander after the battle of Issus?
5. While in Gordium, what did Alexander take as a sign from Zeus to continue his campaign?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)