|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
(a) Alexander had built a host of war machines at great cost.
(b) Alexander had imported animals from all around the world for a zoo.
(c) Alexander held a series of legendary and expensive feasts.
(d) Alexander had refused to tax the citizens.
2. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
(a) Philip recognized it and tried to sire an alternate heir to Alexander.
(b) Philip did not recognize it, and Alexander seized power under his nose.
(c) Philip recognized it, and plotted with Olympias to kill Alexander.
(d) Philip recognized it, but thought Alexander was no threat.
3. What regions was Macedonia divided into prior to Alexander's birth?
(a) Eastern Macedonia and Western Macedonia.
(b) Upper Macedonia and Lower Macedonia.
(c) Jungle Macedonia and Desert Macedonia.
(d) North, East, South, and West Macedonia.
4. What military strategy did Philip innovate in his battle with the Illyrians?
(a) Ranged combat with archers.
(b) He used elephants in war for the first time.
(c) A slanted infantry line.
(d) Shields for the front line.
5. What monument was built in response to events after the battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) The Alabaster Tower.
(b) The Great Library.
(c) The Philippians.
(d) The Hanging Gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Philip when Alexander first led the troops, quelling a rebellion?
2. What was the name of the capital of Macedonia?
3. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
4. What was the Macedonian infantry known as?
5. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)