|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strategy did Philip use in 939 to defeat his enemy?
(a) He married a rival queen to forge peace.
(b) He forced a land war, as opposed to a war on the sea.
(c) He forced a sea war, as opposed to a war on land.
(d) He used ballista for the first time in a battle.
2. What was the outcome of the Battle of Chaeronaea?
(a) Philip fought to an unsatisfying standstill.
(b) Philip won a decisive victory.
(c) Philip did not win, but importantly he managed to destroy the Athenian navy.
(d) Philip was soundly defeated.
3. Which commander opposed Alexander at the battle of Granicus River?
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
(a) City leaders demanded Alexander relinquish the Macedonian crown.
(b) City leaders demanded that Alexander conquer their enemy, Thrace.
(c) City leaders demanded the surrender of two of Alexander's military leaders.
(d) City leaders demanded that their women survive unharmed.
5. What is the technical military term for a slanted infantry line, such as the one used at the battle of Chaeronaea?
Short Answer Questions
1. What action by Alexander contributed to the debt of Macedonia prior to the Persian campaign?
2. During the battle of Granicus River, where was Alexander located?
3. What was the main weapon of the Macedonian infantry under King Philip?
4. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
5. What was Philip's stance on Panhellenism?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)