|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Thebes' immediate reaction to Alexander assuming the Macedonian throne?
(a) They openly accepted Alexander as their king.
(b) They tried to bribe members of the Macedonian assembly to depose Alexander.
(c) They kidnapped Alexander's mother Olympias.
(d) They expelled Alexander's troops from the city.
2. Which is NOT one of the qualities Aristotle bestowed on young Alexander?
(a) Analytical mind.
(b) Scientific curiosity.
(d) Hedonistic view on life.
3. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
(a) He razed the town to the ground.
(b) He sold all of the town's men into slavery.
(c) He hired many mercenaries from the town.
(d) He took money from the town in order to leave it alone.
4. What was Philip's opinion of his son's ambition?
(a) Philip recognized it and tried to sire an alternate heir to Alexander.
(b) Philip recognized it, but thought Alexander was no threat.
(c) Philip did not recognize it, and Alexander seized power under his nose.
(d) Philip recognized it, and plotted with Olympias to kill Alexander.
5. What important battle took place in August 338?
(a) The battle of Jhelum River.
(b) The battle of Chaeronaea.
(c) The battle of Peloponnesia.
(d) The battle of Thebes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the summer of 939, with what threat did Philip have to contend?
2. In what year was the battle of Pelium fought?
3. Where was Alexander the Great born?
4. In Persia's efforts to capture Sidon, whom did Philip support?
5. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)