|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, pg. 270-298.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Alexander learn from a messenger on his way to Sousa?
(a) Darius had regathered his forces there.
(b) Philoxenus had failed to capture Sousa, and was routed.
(c) His mother had fallen gravely ill.
(d) Sousa had already fallen to Philoxenus.
2. In response to learning that Philip supported the Persians, what did the Greeks do?
(a) Tried to poison Philip.
(b) Arrested and tortured one of Philip's men.
(c) Sent men to rob Philip's palace.
(d) Arrested and tortured Philip.
3. What made Tyre difficult to capture?
(a) Its citizens were violent religious zealots.
(b) Its army was exceedingly well trained.
(c) It was located on an island, and had walls on the shores.
(d) It received funding for warships from Demosthenes.
4. How did Darius respond to Alexander's successful siege of Tyre?
(a) He captured the neighboring city of Sidon.
(b) He proposed another peace settlement.
(c) He tried to recapture the city.
(d) He relinquished the throne and fled.
5. In a settlement after Issus, Darius offered to cede lands west of which river?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which BEST characterizes the environment in which Alexander as a child was brought up?
2. In what financial state did Philip leave Macedonia when he died?
3. After Persepolis, which general did Alexander reduce in terms of power and authority?
4. What action did Alexander take in the Persian campaign in regards to the town of Lampsacus?
5. What was the ultimate result of the uprising of Thebes in 335 BC?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)