|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, pgs. 379-412.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Thebes offer its surrender?
(a) City leaders demanded that their women survive unharmed.
(b) City leaders demanded Alexander relinquish the Macedonian crown.
(c) City leaders demanded that Alexander conquer their enemy, Thrace.
(d) City leaders demanded the surrender of two of Alexander's military leaders.
2. What did Alexander do to initially confuse the Indian army at the Jhelum River?
(a) He paraded a group of elephants to show the Indian army leader he had an army of elephants.
(b) He made the Indian army leader believe the gods were against him.
(c) He showed only a portion of his army, and kept the majority of the army hidden from view.
(d) He let conflicting intelligence about his movements reach the Indian army leader.
3. For his 336 BC to 335 BC military campaign, what kind of training did Alexander have his troops undergo?
(a) Desert warfare.
(b) Amphibious warfare.
(c) Naval warfare.
(d) Mountain warfare.
4. During the uprising of 335 BC, on what condition did Alexander offer Thebes amnesty?
(a) He demanded all religious iconography in the city to be destroyed.
(b) He demanded that the leaders of the revolt surrender.
(c) He demanded that all the men of Thebes be imprisoned.
(d) He demanded all of the city's gold reserves.
5. Why did Alexander ultimately stop his push eastward into Arabia?
(a) He was told by prophets that further movement would end in disaster.
(b) His mutinous troops forced him to stop.
(c) He became frightened, because legend told of an end to the world.
(d) He wished to settle down and raise a family with Roxanne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alexander led his army to which country in the summer of 331 BC?
2. Who was the leader of Gaza when Alexander arrived at the city?
3. What was the ratio of Persians to Macedonians at Gaugamela?
4. Who financed the Thebes uprising of 335 BC?
5. What challenge did Alexander have to overcome at Jhelum River?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)