* Alexander was born to King Philip of Macedonia and his third wife Olympias in 356 BC in Pella.
* King Philip inherited a Macedonia that was weak, a mere buffer between nations.
* King Philip used discipline and a knowledge of tactics to form Macedonia's infantry, the Foot Companions, into a formidable force.
* Under Philip, and a combination of shrewd diplomacy and military strength, Macedonia became a powerful state in just a handful of years.
* Alexander grew up amid soldiers in Philip's palace. He was very close to his mother Olympias, who in some ways turned him against his father.
* Alexander sought excellence and glory, and always tried hard in everything he did. He wished to follow in his father's footsteps to even greater glory in battle.
* As a teenager, Alexander was sent to Mieza to study with Aristotle for a period of three years.
* In his time with...
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)