|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randy see when he goes outside after being shaken awake?
2. What holiday do the children believe they are spending in Florida?
3. What does Mark worry the situation in the Middle East is?
4. How many residents does Ft. Repose have?
5. What kind of music does Florence like to listen to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wakes Randy in the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
3. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
4. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
5. Who is James Cobb and what is he doing for the Air Force?
6. Who is Florence Wechek and what is discovered about her at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Edgar Quisenberry do and how does he feel about it?
8. Where did Randy go after he left the bank and what did he do?
9. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
10. Why does Mark give Randy a check, what might they do with the money and how do they part?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
Essay Topic 2
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Crises expose the nature of characters in Fort Repose. Randy and his neighbors on River Road struggle to survive by helping each other make the best of what they have.
1. Why do you think a crisis shows who people really are? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If you were in a crisis as severe as the one in this book, who in your life would be the best person to have with you? Why?
3. How do you think your behavior would change if something like the crisis in this book occurred?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)