Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Florence and Alice meet on Fridays?
2. What does Randy take with him when he goes to town in Chapter 4?
3. What does Florence ask Alice to do?
4. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
5. What does Randy think about the front of the McGoverns' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
2. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
3. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
4. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
5. What's the last thing Randy asks Paul in the book and what does Paul say?
6. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
7. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
8. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
9. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
10. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
Randy asks who won but Paul's answer includes the remark that there isn't much left to win, that it didn't really matter.
1. Do you think countries would ever have an all out nuclear war knowing that it would destroy civilization? Why or why not?
2. How do you think the U.S. was able to determine it had won the war? Do you think it mattered? Why or why not?
"Alas, Babylon" is from Revelation and signifies impending doom. Mark and Randy agree the previous Christmas that "Alas, Babylon" signifies a potential nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union.
1. What would be your thoughts if you had been in Randy's position when he received the telegram?
2. Do you think Randy should tell his friends about the telegram? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is fair for Mark to try and save his family because he is in the position to know about a possible war ahead of time? Why or why not?
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)