|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did the Day occur?
2. What two cities near Randy's town are hit by nuclear blasts?
3. Where does Randy stop on his way home from town?
4. What does Randy see when he goes outside after being shaken awake?
5. How does McCoy Airbase seem to Randy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Florence tell Alice about Randy?
2. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
3. What does the announcement from the Acting Chief Executive tell the people of Ft. Repose?
4. What does Dan say about Peyton's eyes and what does he do about them?
5. What does Edgar Quisenberry do and how does he feel about it?
6. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
7. Where does Randy go after he leaves the grocery store and what does he do?
8. How does Florence know Randy and what does she think of him in the beginning of the book?
9. What does James Cobb do when ordered to go after a bogy?
10. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edgar Quisenberry is in denial, believing he has enough cash and the bank enough staying power to make it through. Pride and arrogance stop him from limiting withdrawals as his teller suggests.
1. Why do you think someone would withdraw into a delusion when afraid?
2. Describe a time when you or someone you know denied a situation because of fear.
3. Do you think if you had been in the situation when the bombs dropped you might go into denial? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Crises expose the nature of characters in Fort Repose. Randy and his neighbors on River Road struggle to survive by helping each other make the best of what they have.
1. Why do you think a crisis shows who people really are? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If you were in a crisis as severe as the one in this book, who in your life would be the best person to have with you? Why?
3. How do you think your behavior would change if something like the crisis in this book occurred?
Essay Topic 3
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)