|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence eat for breakfast?
2. What does Randy think about the front of the McGoverns' house?
3. What does Paul say about the personnel at McCoy?
4. What does Mark do when he arrives at McCoy?
5. What kind of daily routine does Florence have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
2. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
3. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
4. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
5. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
6. What happens when Mark's flight arrives at McCoy?
7. How does Helen feel about leaving Mark and what is his answer and why does he say it?
8. Who barges in on Randy after he returns home from his errands in town and what does she say?
9. Who's the second person to stop in at Randy's house after he returned from town?
10. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crises expose the nature of characters in Fort Repose. Randy and his neighbors on River Road struggle to survive by helping each other make the best of what they have.
1. Why do you think a crisis shows who people really are? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If you were in a crisis as severe as the one in this book, who in your life would be the best person to have with you? Why?
3. How do you think your behavior would change if something like the crisis in this book occurred?
Essay Topic 2
When Randy meets Mark at McCoy the political situation is bad. The brothers realize they may never see each other again and Randy stops in sorrow on the way home.
1. Why do you think Mark is not coming to Fr. Repose with his family?
2. If you were Mark, would you do what he is doing or would you come to Ft. Repose with your family? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you saw a member of your family at an airport and knew you would probably never see that person again?
Essay Topic 3
They take one prisoner to hang the next day in town. They leave three dead highwaymen to rot on the road as a silent witness that crime in Fort Repose won't pay.
1. Justice has been changed by "The Day." No trials, appeals, etc. just martial law and a swift hanging. Do you think this is good or bad? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Randy wanted to hang the highwayman instead of just shooting him out on the road?
3. If you had the responsibility that Randy has how would you have handled the problem of highwaymen? Use several examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)