|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan do when Randy tells him about Mark's premonition?
2. What does Ben ask Randy?
3. What are Randy's favorite times of the day?
4. What has happened to the McGoverns' house?
5. Who is Sir Percy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
2. Who's the second person to stop in at Randy's house after he returned from town?
3. How does Florence know Randy and what does she think of him in the beginning of the book?
4. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
5. What does James Cobb do when ordered to go after a bogy?
6. Why does Mark give Randy a check, what might they do with the money and how do they part?
7. Who is Florence Wechek and what is discovered about her at the beginning of the book?
8. Who are the Bragg brothers and what are they both doing at the beginning of the book?
9. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
10. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The impact and implication of the nuclear conflict started that early December morning is so extensive the term used to denote it is singular, The Day.
1. Why do you think people call it "The Day" and kept time by before and after it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What other events have occurred in history that have changed the way time is recorded? How does one of the events relate to "The Day" in this book?
3. Tell about a time in your life or someone you know where you or someone you know thinks of life as "before" and "after."
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1 it may seem that Randy is a developing alcoholic but he says as long as he just enjoys but doesn't crave, he's okay.
1. Do you think people can't be alcoholics if they don't think they are? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the symptoms of alcoholism?
3. Do you think if someone has a drink in the morning that makes him/her an alcoholic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A civilization takes many things for granted but realizes their value only in their absence.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement from the perspective of the book?
2. What do you think people in present day America take for granted?
3. Describe a time that you or someone you knew lost something or someone that/who was taken for granted.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)