|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan do when Randy tells him about Mark's premonition?
2. Why is Bubba Offenhaus head of civil defense?
3. Where is Lavinia when Randy arrives at the McGoverns' house after the Day?
4. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
5. What does Florence Wechek do for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
2. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
3. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
4. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
5. Where does Randy go after he leaves the grocery store and what does he do?
6. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
7. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
8. What kind of encounter does Randy have with Florence and Alice after he is alone the evening of his errands to town?
9. What does Randy drink in the morning and what does his friend, Dan, say about it?
10. Who is James Cobb and what is he doing for the Air Force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Randy recalls they used to say a big war would cost too much, disrupt world trade and bankrupt everybody. Helen calls him an idealist.
1. Why do you think Helen called Randy an idealist?
2. Do you think being idealistic is easier than being realistic? Why or why not?
3. Who do you know who is an idealist and why do you say that person is one?
Essay Topic 3
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)