|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lib's parents feel about Randy?
2. What are Anthony and Cleo?
3. Who does Randy ask for at McCoy Air Base?
4. Why does Peyton scream when they see another light?
5. What does Florence tell Alice about Randy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Randy go after he left the bank and what did he do?
2. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
3. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
4. What does Helen ask Admiral Hazzard and why?
5. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
6. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
7. Who's the second person to stop in at Randy's house after he returned from town?
8. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
9. Who are the Bragg brothers and what are they both doing at the beginning of the book?
10. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dan briefs Randy on the beating incident so he can make plans to take action. His earlier observation that dogs can become wolves is indicative of the change of heart Randy has in the wake of Dan's beating. The highwaymen are a threat to the River Road enclave and the community as a whole. Randy calmly says he will kill them.
1. How does this statement show a change in Randy's attitude towards life? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think "law of the jungle" will always prevail in this type of situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)