Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Florence and Alice meet on Fridays?
2. What does Randy take with him when he goes to town in Chapter 4?
3. What does Florence ask Alice to do?
4. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
5. What does Randy think about the front of the McGoverns' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
2. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
3. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
4. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
5. What's the last thing Randy asks Paul in the book and what does Paul say?
6. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
7. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
8. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
9. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
10. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
"Alas, Babylon" is from Revelation and signifies impending doom. Mark and Randy agree the previous Christmas that "Alas, Babylon" signifies a potential nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union.
1. What would be your thoughts if you had been in Randy's position when he received the telegram?
2. Do you think Randy should tell his friends about the telegram? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is fair for Mark to try and save his family because he is in the position to know about a possible war ahead of time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)