|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark tell Helen to do?
2. How do Lib's parents feel about Randy?
3. What does Mark do when he arrives at McCoy?
4. What does Florence eat for breakfast?
5. What is Randy wearing as he stands outside with his binoculars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
2. What do Helen and the children want to do when outside and what happens to them?
3. What wakes Randy in the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
5. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
6. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
7. What does Dan say about Peyton's eyes and what does he do about them?
8. What do the residents begin seeing in the sky in November and what are they doing?
9. What does Edgar Quisenberry do and how does he feel about it?
10. What happened to Dan when he was beaten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1 it may seem that Randy is a developing alcoholic but he says as long as he just enjoys but doesn't crave, he's okay.
1. Do you think people can't be alcoholics if they don't think they are? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the symptoms of alcoholism?
3. Do you think if someone has a drink in the morning that makes him/her an alcoholic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Randy meets Mark at McCoy the political situation is bad. The brothers realize they may never see each other again and Randy stops in sorrow on the way home.
1. Why do you think Mark is not coming to Fr. Repose with his family?
2. If you were Mark, would you do what he is doing or would you come to Ft. Repose with your family? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you saw a member of your family at an airport and knew you would probably never see that person again?
Essay Topic 3
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,701 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)