|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
2. What holiday do the children believe they are spending in Florida?
3. When was the First National Bank in Ft. Repose built?
4. What does Bill McGovern call Randy when he goes in the living room?
5. Why does Mark want his family to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
2. What does Florence tell Alice about Randy?
3. What does Dan say about Peyton's eyes and what does he do about them?
4. What do Helen and the children want to do when outside and what happens to them?
5. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
6. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
7. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
8. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
9. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
10. Who's the second person to stop in at Randy's house after he returned from town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The impact and implication of the nuclear conflict started that early December morning is so extensive the term used to denote it is singular, The Day.
1. Why do you think people call it "The Day" and kept time by before and after it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What other events have occurred in history that have changed the way time is recorded? How does one of the events relate to "The Day" in this book?
3. Tell about a time in your life or someone you know where you or someone you know thinks of life as "before" and "after."
Essay Topic 2
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)