Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Florence and Alice meet on Fridays?
2. What does Randy take with him when he goes to town in Chapter 4?
3. What does Florence ask Alice to do?
4. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
5. What does Randy think about the front of the McGoverns' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
2. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
3. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
4. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
5. What's the last thing Randy asks Paul in the book and what does Paul say?
6. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
7. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
8. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
9. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
10. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
Essay Topic 1
When Randy meets Mark at McCoy the political situation is bad. The brothers realize they may never see each other again and Randy stops in sorrow on the way home.
1. Why do you think Mark is not coming to Fr. Repose with his family?
2. If you were Mark, would you do what he is doing or would you come to Ft. Repose with your family? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you saw a member of your family at an airport and knew you would probably never see that person again?
Essay Topic 2
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
Essay Topic 3
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)