|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randy remember about meeting Elizabeth McGovern?
2. What does Florence Wechek do for work?
3. How old is Randy?
4. What does Randy tell Edgar that Mark said about money?
5. Why does Peyton scream when they see another light?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rita say about the highwaymen and what does she do?
2. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
3. What has Peyton found in the attic and what does Randy say to her?
4. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
5. What does Randy drink in the morning and what does his friend, Dan, say about it?
6. When were Lib and Randy married? Who performed the service? What did the bride and groom wear?
7. What's the last thing Randy asks Paul in the book and what does Paul say?
8. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
9. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
10. How does Helen feel about leaving Mark and what is his answer and why does he say it?
Essay Topic 1
Dan briefs Randy on the beating incident so he can make plans to take action. His earlier observation that dogs can become wolves is indicative of the change of heart Randy has in the wake of Dan's beating. The highwaymen are a threat to the River Road enclave and the community as a whole. Randy calmly says he will kill them.
1. How does this statement show a change in Randy's attitude towards life? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think "law of the jungle" will always prevail in this type of situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Randy recalls they used to say a big war would cost too much, disrupt world trade and bankrupt everybody. Helen calls him an idealist.
1. Why do you think Helen called Randy an idealist?
2. Do you think being idealistic is easier than being realistic? Why or why not?
3. Who do you know who is an idealist and why do you say that person is one?
Essay Topic 3
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
This section contains 2,622 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)