|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence eat for breakfast?
2. What does Randy warn Florence and Alice about as they leave for town?
3. What has been declared on the radio?
4. Who calls Randy on the morning when the book begins?
5. Why do Helen and Randy decide to go to Admiral Hazzard's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Helen and the children want to do when outside and what happens to them?
2. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
3. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
4. What does Florence tell Alice about Randy?
5. Why does Mark give Randy a check, what might they do with the money and how do they part?
6. What kind of encounter does Randy have with Florence and Alice after he is alone the evening of his errands to town?
7. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
8. Who barges in on Randy after he returns home from his errands in town and what does she say?
9. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
10. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
Essay Topic 2
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)