|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark tell Randy about his family?
2. Why does Alice agree to Florence's request?
3. How do Russia and NATO feel about the Mediterranean?
4. What does "Alas, Babylon" mean to Randy?
5. What does Mark propose to General Hawker at five in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James Cobb do when ordered to go after a bogy?
2. How does Helen feel about leaving Mark and what is his answer and why does he say it?
3. How does Florence know Randy and what does she think of him in the beginning of the book?
4. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
5. What does Helen ask Admiral Hazzard and why?
6. What happens when Mark's flight arrives at McCoy?
7. What does Edgar Quisenberry do and how does he feel about it?
8. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
9. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
10. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Alas, Babylon" is from Revelation and signifies impending doom. Mark and Randy agree the previous Christmas that "Alas, Babylon" signifies a potential nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union.
1. What would be your thoughts if you had been in Randy's position when he received the telegram?
2. Do you think Randy should tell his friends about the telegram? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is fair for Mark to try and save his family because he is in the position to know about a possible war ahead of time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ben is upset that he shoots what he sees as a wolf but is a pet German Shepherd. Randy consoles Ben that dogs can turn into wolves at times like these.
1. What kind of circumstances do you think might have force the German shepherd into a wild animal?
2. What do you think would keep men from turning from civilized men to murderers and thieves at a time like in this book?
3. Describe another situation besides the one in the book that could make decent people turn bad.
Essay Topic 3
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)