|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Russians launch at the beginning of the book?
2. Who is Edgar Quisenberry?
3. How many supermarket carts does Randy fill?
4. Who is Missouri?
5. Where is Lavinia when Randy arrives at the McGoverns' house after the Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
2. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
3. Who is Florence Wechek and what is discovered about her at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
5. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
6. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
7. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
8. Who are the Bragg brothers and what are they both doing at the beginning of the book?
9. Who barges in on Randy after he returns home from his errands in town and what does she say?
10. How does Helen feel about leaving Mark and what is his answer and why does he say it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bill's nickname is Bigmouth so Randy avoids answering why he buys so much whiskey. Judge Bragg taught him bluffing is okay but lying is not.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Do you think there is a difference between "bluffing" and "lying?" Why or why not?
3. Do you think Randy should tell everyone in Ft. Repose the truth instead of trying to hide it?
Essay Topic 3
"Alas, Babylon" is from Revelation and signifies impending doom. Mark and Randy agree the previous Christmas that "Alas, Babylon" signifies a potential nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union.
1. What would be your thoughts if you had been in Randy's position when he received the telegram?
2. Do you think Randy should tell his friends about the telegram? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is fair for Mark to try and save his family because he is in the position to know about a possible war ahead of time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)