|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randy tell Helen and the children when they join him outside?
2. Who is Sir Percy?
3. Who shares the income from family holdings with Randy?
4. How does McCoy Airbase seem to Randy?
5. What is the red baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
2. What does Helen ask Admiral Hazzard and why?
3. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
4. What do Helen and the children want to do when outside and what happens to them?
5. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
6. What does Edgar Quisenberry do and how does he feel about it?
7. Who are the Bragg brothers and what are they both doing at the beginning of the book?
8. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
9. Where does Randy go after he leaves the grocery store and what does he do?
10. Who is Florence Wechek and what is discovered about her at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bill's nickname is Bigmouth so Randy avoids answering why he buys so much whiskey. Judge Bragg taught him bluffing is okay but lying is not.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Do you think there is a difference between "bluffing" and "lying?" Why or why not?
3. Do you think Randy should tell everyone in Ft. Repose the truth instead of trying to hide it?
Essay Topic 2
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Alas, Babylon" is from Revelation and signifies impending doom. Mark and Randy agree the previous Christmas that "Alas, Babylon" signifies a potential nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union.
1. What would be your thoughts if you had been in Randy's position when he received the telegram?
2. Do you think Randy should tell his friends about the telegram? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is fair for Mark to try and save his family because he is in the position to know about a possible war ahead of time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)