|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lib's parents feel about Randy?
2. How many supermarket carts does Randy fill?
3. What does Florence ask Alice to do?
4. How does McCoy Airbase seem to Randy?
5. What kind of daily routine does Florence have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Bragg brothers and what are they both doing at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
3. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
4. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
5. What does the announcement from the Acting Chief Executive tell the people of Ft. Repose?
6. What does Randy drink in the morning and what does his friend, Dan, say about it?
7. Why does Mark give Randy a check, what might they do with the money and how do they part?
8. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
9. What kind of encounter does Randy have with Florence and Alice after he is alone the evening of his errands to town?
10. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
Essay Topic 2
Ben is upset that he shoots what he sees as a wolf but is a pet German Shepherd. Randy consoles Ben that dogs can turn into wolves at times like these.
1. What kind of circumstances do you think might have force the German shepherd into a wild animal?
2. What do you think would keep men from turning from civilized men to murderers and thieves at a time like in this book?
3. Describe another situation besides the one in the book that could make decent people turn bad.
Essay Topic 3
Randy asks who won but Paul's answer includes the remark that there isn't much left to win, that it didn't really matter.
1. Do you think countries would ever have an all out nuclear war knowing that it would destroy civilization? Why or why not?
2. How do you think the U.S. was able to determine it had won the war? Do you think it mattered? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)