|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Randy call because of Peyton?
2. What does Bill McGovern call Randy when he goes in the living room?
3. What kind of books does Kitty Offenhaus tell Alice to remove from the library?
4. What has happened to the McGoverns' house?
5. What are Anthony and Cleo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of encounter does Randy have with Florence and Alice after he is alone the evening of his errands to town?
2. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
3. Where does Randy go after he leaves the grocery store and what does he do?
4. What wakes Randy in the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Who are the Bragg brothers and what are they both doing at the beginning of the book?
6. Who is James Cobb and what is he doing for the Air Force?
7. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
8. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
9. Who is Florence Wechek and what is discovered about her at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Florence tell Alice about Randy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice becomes a learning resource for the community and helps Dan practice hypnosis for anesthesia. When old methods don't work or are not available, new methods for doing essential tasks must be found.
1. Do you think some interesting inventions might come out of this tragedy? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the most important needs to survive in a world with no medical supplies or electricity? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The impact and implication of the nuclear conflict started that early December morning is so extensive the term used to denote it is singular, The Day.
1. Why do you think people call it "The Day" and kept time by before and after it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What other events have occurred in history that have changed the way time is recorded? How does one of the events relate to "The Day" in this book?
3. Tell about a time in your life or someone you know where you or someone you know thinks of life as "before" and "after."
Essay Topic 3
Bill's nickname is Bigmouth so Randy avoids answering why he buys so much whiskey. Judge Bragg taught him bluffing is okay but lying is not.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Do you think there is a difference between "bluffing" and "lying?" Why or why not?
3. Do you think Randy should tell everyone in Ft. Repose the truth instead of trying to hide it?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)