Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Florence and Alice meet on Fridays?
2. What does Randy take with him when he goes to town in Chapter 4?
3. What does Florence ask Alice to do?
4. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
5. What does Randy think about the front of the McGoverns' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
2. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
3. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
4. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
5. What's the last thing Randy asks Paul in the book and what does Paul say?
6. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
7. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
8. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
9. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
10. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
Essay Topic 1
Randy recalls they used to say a big war would cost too much, disrupt world trade and bankrupt everybody. Helen calls him an idealist.
1. Why do you think Helen called Randy an idealist?
2. Do you think being idealistic is easier than being realistic? Why or why not?
3. Who do you know who is an idealist and why do you say that person is one?
Essay Topic 2
The impact and implication of the nuclear conflict started that early December morning is so extensive the term used to denote it is singular, The Day.
1. Why do you think people call it "The Day" and kept time by before and after it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What other events have occurred in history that have changed the way time is recorded? How does one of the events relate to "The Day" in this book?
3. Tell about a time in your life or someone you know where you or someone you know thinks of life as "before" and "after."
Essay Topic 3
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)