|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lavinia when Randy arrives at the McGoverns' house after the Day?
2. What does Admiral Hazzard have for news?
3. How many residents does Ft. Repose have?
4. What does Randy hear when he is awakened from his bed shaking?
5. What does Randy remember about meeting Elizabeth McGovern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
2. Who are the Bragg brothers and what are they both doing at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Randy drink in the morning and what does his friend, Dan, say about it?
4. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
5. Who's the second person to stop in at Randy's house after he returned from town?
6. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
7. What happens when Mark's flight arrives at McCoy?
8. What does Randy do when he first arrives at McCoy and what does he see?
9. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
10. Who barges in on Randy after he returns home from his errands in town and what does she say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
Essay Topic 2
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Randy meets Mark at McCoy the political situation is bad. The brothers realize they may never see each other again and Randy stops in sorrow on the way home.
1. Why do you think Mark is not coming to Fr. Repose with his family?
2. If you were Mark, would you do what he is doing or would you come to Ft. Repose with your family? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you saw a member of your family at an airport and knew you would probably never see that person again?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)