|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did the Day occur?
2. What kind of daily routine does Florence have?
3. What does "Alas, Babylon" mean to Randy?
4. Why is Bubba Offenhaus head of civil defense?
5. What does Randy see when he goes outside after being shaken awake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
2. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
3. Where does Randy go after he leaves the grocery store and what does he do?
4. What does Helen ask Admiral Hazzard and why?
5. What happens when Mark's flight arrives at McCoy?
6. What do Helen and the children want to do when outside and what happens to them?
7. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
8. What does the announcement from the Acting Chief Executive tell the people of Ft. Repose?
9. How does Helen feel about leaving Mark and what is his answer and why does he say it?
10. Who is James Cobb and what is he doing for the Air Force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy asks who won but Paul's answer includes the remark that there isn't much left to win, that it didn't really matter.
1. Do you think countries would ever have an all out nuclear war knowing that it would destroy civilization? Why or why not?
2. How do you think the U.S. was able to determine it had won the war? Do you think it mattered? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1 it may seem that Randy is a developing alcoholic but he says as long as he just enjoys but doesn't crave, he's okay.
1. Do you think people can't be alcoholics if they don't think they are? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the symptoms of alcoholism?
3. Do you think if someone has a drink in the morning that makes him/her an alcoholic? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)