|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Florence and Alice meet on Fridays?
2. What does Randy take with him when he goes to town in Chapter 4?
3. What does Florence ask Alice to do?
4. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
5. What does Randy think about the front of the McGoverns' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
2. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
3. Why is Alice late meeting Florence and what ultimately happened?
4. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
5. What's the last thing Randy asks Paul in the book and what does Paul say?
6. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
7. What does Bill McGovern say to Randy about his warning from Mark?
8. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
9. What does Randy think of Florence at the beginning of the book?
10. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
Essay Topic 1
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
They take one prisoner to hang the next day in town. They leave three dead highwaymen to rot on the road as a silent witness that crime in Fort Repose won't pay.
1. Justice has been changed by "The Day." No trials, appeals, etc. just martial law and a swift hanging. Do you think this is good or bad? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Randy wanted to hang the highwayman instead of just shooting him out on the road?
3. If you had the responsibility that Randy has how would you have handled the problem of highwaymen? Use several examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Bill's nickname is Bigmouth so Randy avoids answering why he buys so much whiskey. Judge Bragg taught him bluffing is okay but lying is not.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement?
2. Do you think there is a difference between "bluffing" and "lying?" Why or why not?
3. Do you think Randy should tell everyone in Ft. Repose the truth instead of trying to hide it?
This section contains 2,549 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)