|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Randy ask for at McCoy Air Base?
2. What does Randy take with him when he goes to town in Chapter 4?
3. What does Alice say Randy is doing?
4. What does Mark give Randy before saying good-bye?
5. How old is Randy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
2. What does the announcement from the Acting Chief Executive tell the people of Ft. Repose?
3. Who is Florence Wechek and what is discovered about her at the beginning of the book?
4. What happens when Mark's flight arrives at McCoy?
5. What does Mark do after his family leaves for Orlando before he reports to work?
6. What does Helen ask Admiral Hazzard and why?
7. Who is James Cobb and what is he doing for the Air Force?
8. What does Edgar Quisenberry do and how does he feel about it?
9. What happens at the bank when it gets low on money and what does Edgar do about it?
10. Where did Randy go after he left the bank and what did he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1 it may seem that Randy is a developing alcoholic but he says as long as he just enjoys but doesn't crave, he's okay.
1. Do you think people can't be alcoholics if they don't think they are? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the symptoms of alcoholism?
3. Do you think if someone has a drink in the morning that makes him/her an alcoholic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)