|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Anthony and Cleo?
2. What does Helen ask Randy about Offutt Field?
3. Why do Florence and Alice meet on Fridays?
4. What does Mark worry the situation in the Middle East is?
5. What does Mark give Randy before saying good-bye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
2. How does Florence know Randy and what does she think of him in the beginning of the book?
3. Where does Randy find Dan and what happens?
4. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
5. Why does Mark give Randy a check, what might they do with the money and how do they part?
6. What does the announcement from the Acting Chief Executive tell the people of Ft. Repose?
7. Who is Florence Wechek and what is discovered about her at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Randy hear on the radio while driving to Orlando?
9. Randy receives a call from Western Union. Who is the telegram from and what does it say and mean?
10. What does Dan say about Peyton's eyes and what does he do about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ben is upset that he shoots what he sees as a wolf but is a pet German Shepherd. Randy consoles Ben that dogs can turn into wolves at times like these.
1. What kind of circumstances do you think might have force the German shepherd into a wild animal?
2. What do you think would keep men from turning from civilized men to murderers and thieves at a time like in this book?
3. Describe another situation besides the one in the book that could make decent people turn bad.
Essay Topic 2
Randy recalls they used to say a big war would cost too much, disrupt world trade and bankrupt everybody. Helen calls him an idealist.
1. Why do you think Helen called Randy an idealist?
2. Do you think being idealistic is easier than being realistic? Why or why not?
3. Who do you know who is an idealist and why do you say that person is one?
Essay Topic 3
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)