|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Alas, Babylon" mean to Randy?
(a) a code that means all is well
(c) a saying from Treasure Island
(d) a code that means war might be starting
2. How many supermarket carts does Randy fill?
3. When does Florence normally wake up?
(a) 10 A.M.
(b) 8 A.M.
(c) 5:45 A.M.
(d) 6:30 AM.
4. What do Florence and Alice see Randy do after Lib leaves?
(a) climb a tree
(b) go to bed
(c) sit on the porch
(d) move slowly across their lawn
5. What does Mark tell Helen to do?
(a) wait for him
(b) survive and care for the children
(c) to divorce him
(d) remarry as soon as possible
6. What does Randy warn Florence and Alice about as they leave for town?
(a) no food at the grocery store
(b) convicts on the road with rifles
(d) too many people at the gas station
7. What is Randy wearing as he stands outside with his binoculars?
(b) a suit
(c) a swim suit
(d) he's nude
8. What kind of books does Kitty Offenhaus tell Alice to remove from the library?
(a) subversive and anti-South
(b) anything that is anti-American
(c) racial ones
(d) anything about sex
9. Why is Mrs. Josephine Vanbruuker-Brown important after the Day?
(a) she is Randy's grandmother
(b) she's Acting Chief Executive of the United States
(c) she's head of civil defense in Florida
(d) she's Randy's neighbor
10. What does Randy find out about the planes at McCoy?
(a) they are in the hangers
(b) he doesn't find out anything about the planes
(c) they are in the air, circling
(d) they've been sent to other airfields
11. What does Paul say about the personnel at McCoy?
(a) they're on alert
(b) they've been increased
(c) they're on R and R
(d) they are reduced
12. What did the Russians launch at the beginning of the book?
(a) a Sputnik spy satellite
(b) a research robot bound for Mars
(d) a space shuttle
13. What does Dan do when Randy tells him about Mark's premonition?
(a) decides to go to the city and get surgigal instruments
(b) writes war prescriptions
(c) kills himself
(d) gets drunk
14. What does Mark propose to General Hawker at five in the morning?
(a) the weapons be released
(b) they try to call the President
(c) they try to call Russia
(d) they send out the bombs
15. What has been declared on the radio?
(a) nothing, it's dead
(b) a holiday
(c) a message from the president is coming
(d) a red alert
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Saratoga?
2. What does Randy hear when he is awakened from his bed shaking?
3. What does Florence eat for breakfast?
4. What does Mark tell Randy about his family?
5. What does Ben ask Randy?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)