|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Randy stop at Bill Cullen's?
(a) to buy bourbon and scotch
(b) to get a lottery ticket
(c) to order some flowers for Helen
(d) to get some drugs
2. What does "Alas, Babylon" mean to Randy?
(a) a saying from Treasure Island
(b) a code that means war might be starting
(c) a code that means all is well
3. Who does Randy ask for at McCoy Air Base?
(a) Lieutenant Baker
(c) Lieutenant Colonel Paul Hart
(d) no one
4. Why does Peyton scream when they see another light?
(a) she's afraid
(b) the light has blinded her
(c) the dog scared her
(d) she slipped on the porch
5. What kind of music does Florence like to listen to?
(c) country music
(d) easy listening
6. What does Mark do when he arrives at McCoy?
(a) switches planes
(b) asks to spend time alone with Randy
(c) leaves his family with Randy
(d) he talks to Paul and Randy
7. What does Florence tell Alice about Randy?
(a) that he's a peeping tom
(b) that he received a strange telegram
(c) that he's moving to New York
(d) that he's an alcoholic
8. What does Randy hear on the way home when he leaves Lib's house?
(a) of the red alert called
(b) an old song his father liked
(c) of the bombing attack on Latakia
(d) nothing, he doesn't turn on the radio
9. Why did Edgar dislike Randy's father?
(a) he dated Edgar's wife before they were married
(b) he humiliated him in a poker game
(c) he lost a lot of money
(d) he put his money in the other bank in town
10. What does Admiral Hazzard have for news?
(a) a military telephone
(b) a police scanner
(c) a navy field phone
(d) a short-wave radio
11. What does Mark give Randy before saying good-bye?
(a) a warning to get prepared
(b) a copy of his Bible
(c) a hug
(d) a check to cash
12. Who does Randy call because of Peyton?
(d) Dan Gunn
13. What does Randy tell Helen and the children when they join him outside?
(a) they need to wait and see
(b) that it has started
(c) the children need to go to school
(d) their father called
14. What does Helen ask Randy about Offutt Field?
(a) if he thinks it wasn't hit
(b) if the acting president might be there
(c) if he thinks that's the new capitol
(d) if he thinks Mark was there
15. Why does Randy think the period between 1870 and 1914 was wonderful?
(a) there was no pollution
(b) there was no war
(c) things were more simple
(d) things were cheaper
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randy decide to tell Alice and Florence?
2. What kind of daily routine does Florence have?
3. What is a significant difference between war a few years ago and now?
4. What does Mark tell Randy about his family?
5. Who calls Randy on the morning when the book begins?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)