|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Alas, Babylon" mean to Randy?
(a) a code that means all is well
(c) a saying from Treasure Island
(d) a code that means war might be starting
2. What are Randy's favorite times of the day?
(a) dusk and midnight
(b) midnight and noon
(c) noon and dawn
(d) early dawn and dusk
3. Why did Edgar dislike Randy's father?
(a) he humiliated him in a poker game
(b) he put his money in the other bank in town
(c) he dated Edgar's wife before they were married
(d) he lost a lot of money
4. What does Admiral Hazzard have for news?
(a) a navy field phone
(b) a military telephone
(c) a police scanner
(d) a short-wave radio
5. Where is Lavinia when Randy arrives at the McGoverns' house after the Day?
(a) in the garden
(b) sitting on the front porch
(c) medicated in bed
(d) on the lake
6. What does Florence tell Alice about Randy?
(a) that he received a strange telegram
(b) that he's moving to New York
(c) that he's an alcoholic
(d) that he's a peeping tom
7. Why does Alice agree to Florence's request?
(a) her husband is out of town
(b) she looked up Alas, Babylon
(c) she thinks Florence needs support
(d) she is bored
8. What does Randy remember about meeting Elizabeth McGovern?
(a) her full lips
(b) hitting his car with hers
(c) dropping her groceries
(d) her long legs
9. Who shares the income from family holdings with Randy?
(a) his grandparents
(b) his brother Mark
(c) his parents
(d) his brother and sister
10. What does Randy's friend, Dan, say about him drinking for breakfast?
(a) it leads to a long life
(b) it's good for him
(c) it will keep him from becoming an alcoholic
(d) it's unhealthy
11. Who does Randy call because of Peyton?
(c) Dan Gunn
12. Where does the Secretary of State fly for conferences to try and avoid a war?
(d) New York
13. Where does Randy see lines of cars as he drives into town?
(a) at the police station
(b) at the library
(c) at the post office
(d) at the gas station
14. Why is Mrs. Josephine Vanbruuker-Brown important after the Day?
(a) she's Randy's neighbor
(b) she is Randy's grandmother
(c) she's head of civil defense in Florida
(d) she's Acting Chief Executive of the United States
15. Why does Dan stop by to see Lib?
(a) to ask her on a date
(b) to talk about her mother
(c) to give her some meds for herself
(d) to tell her that her mother has died
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randy find out about the planes at McCoy?
2. When does Florence normally wake up?
3. Why does the power suddenly go out in Ft. Repose?
4. What does Randy tell Helen to get at Beck's hardware?
5. How many residents does Ft. Repose have?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)