|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work of da Vinci's does Giuliano want to show Michelangelo?
2. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
3. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
4. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
5. What happens to all the marbles Michelangelo collects for the St. Lorenzo church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
2. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
3. How do the Bolognese assign the guilt of association to Michelangelo?
4. Briefly describe the intrigue going on in Rome while Michelangelo works on the Sistine Chapel.
5. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
6. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
7. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
8. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
9. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
10. Why is Michelangelo disenchanted with the work he is doing for a cardinal while thinking about the Wool Guild marble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of art in the world. Include what you think the world would be like if there were no art. Mention how censorship of art might have deprived the world of great masterpieces by Michelangelo.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the devastating effects of Savonarola's rule in Florence. Mention the art that was destroyed and the closing of art schools. Also include how Botticelli buckled under the pressure of Savonarola's sermons.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)