|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
2. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
3. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
4. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
5. What does Pope Paul III want Michelangelo to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
2. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
3. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
4. Why is Michelangelo disenchanted with the work he is doing for a cardinal while thinking about the Wool Guild marble?
5. What does Michelangelo hope for after Pope Julius II dies?
6. How do the Bolognese assign the guilt of association to Michelangelo?
7. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
8. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
9. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
10. How do Michelangelo and da Vinci end up working on the same project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about family relationships. Use Michelangelo as an example of a person who shows loyalty and support of family. Also discuss how family may cause stress on one individual in the family group.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about religious extremism. Use the example of the Inquisition to show how people sometimes try to enforce their own religious ideology on others.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)