|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
2. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
3. What does Pope Paul III want Michelangelo to do?
4. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
5. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
2. Briefly describe the intrigue going on in Rome while Michelangelo works on the Sistine Chapel.
3. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
4. Why is Michelangelo disenchanted with the work he is doing for a cardinal while thinking about the Wool Guild marble?
5. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
6. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
7. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
8. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
9. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
10. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about family relationships. Use Michelangelo as an example of a person who shows loyalty and support of family. Also discuss how family may cause stress on one individual in the family group.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about religious extremism. Use the example of the Inquisition to show how people sometimes try to enforce their own religious ideology on others.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)