|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
2. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
3. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
4. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
5. What does Leonardo da Vinci do that irritates Michelangelo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
2. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
3. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
4. What does Michelangelo hope for after Pope Julius II dies?
5. How do the Bolognese assign the guilt of association to Michelangelo?
6. What family problem does Michelangelo attempt to solve with his brothers?
7. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
8. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
9. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
10. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on liberal arts education. Mention the advantages Michelangelo received because of his exposure to literature and art in the Plato Academy. Defend the idea of knowing about art, music, and literature today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of art in the world. Include what you think the world would be like if there were no art. Mention how censorship of art might have deprived the world of great masterpieces by Michelangelo.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about camaraderie. Write about how people in similar circumstances tend to help each other out as everyone did in the workplace of Michelangelo off the Via del Proconsolo.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)