|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
2. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
3. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
4. What does Leonardo da Vinci do that irritates Michelangelo?
5. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
2. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
3. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
4. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
5. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
6. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
7. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
8. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
9. What does Michelangelo hope for after Pope Julius II dies?
10. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about beauty. MIchelangelo's love of beauty brought great masterpieces to the world. Discuss how important you think it is to have beauty in the world. How does beauty affect the beholders?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on political intrigue using the succession of popes during Michelangelo's lifetime as examples. Discuss how circumstances kept changing that often threatened Michelangelo's work.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)