|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Michelangelo not talk to Pope Julius II?
2. What does Michelangelo do after accepting the Cardinal's commission?
3. What causes the death of Pope Leo X?
4. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
5. With whom does the Marchesa appear to be affiliated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
2. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
3. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
4. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
5. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
6. Briefly describe the intrigue going on in Rome while Michelangelo works on the Sistine Chapel.
7. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
8. How do Michelangelo and da Vinci end up working on the same project?
9. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
10. Why is Michelangelo disenchanted with the work he is doing for a cardinal while thinking about the Wool Guild marble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the will to succeed. Using Michelangelo as an example, discuss how people who achieve great things in their lives are focused and driven to succeed. Include some modern day examples as well.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on education by observing. Using Michelangelo's impact on the painter, Rafael, and his own watching outside the Sculpture Garden, discuss in your essay how watching a master work is a kind of education in itself.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of art in the world. Include what you think the world would be like if there were no art. Mention how censorship of art might have deprived the world of great masterpieces by Michelangelo.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)