|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
2. When do Michelangelo and the Contessina finally talk about their mutual love?
3. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
4. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
5. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
2. What does Michelangelo hope for after Pope Julius II dies?
3. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
4. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
5. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
6. Describe briefly the attraction Michelangelo feels toward Tommaso Cavalieri.
7. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
8. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
9. Briefly describe the intrigue going on in Rome while Michelangelo works on the Sistine Chapel.
10. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on loyalty. What is the value of loyalty to friends or political leaders. Is loyalty always repaid?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on character assassination using the innuendo about Michelangelo's relationship to Tomasso and other men. Discuss in your essay how such tactics are used as hate mongering to turn public opinion against another person.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)