|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo's father accuse him of in letters from Florence?
2. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
3. As payment to the French, what will Michelangelo carve?
4. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
5. What happens to prevent Michelangelo from finishing the tomb of Pope Julius this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
2. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
3. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
4. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
5. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
6. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
7. How do the Bolognese assign the guilt of association to Michelangelo?
8. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
9. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
10. What family problem does Michelangelo attempt to solve with his brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on education by observing. Using Michelangelo's impact on the painter, Rafael, and his own watching outside the Sculpture Garden, discuss in your essay how watching a master work is a kind of education in itself.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the will to succeed. Using Michelangelo as an example, discuss how people who achieve great things in their lives are focused and driven to succeed. Include some modern day examples as well.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)