|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
2. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
3. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
4. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
5. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
2. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
3. What family problem does Michelangelo attempt to solve with his brothers?
4. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
5. Describe briefly the attraction Michelangelo feels toward Tommaso Cavalieri.
6. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
7. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
8. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
9. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
10. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about family relationships. Use Michelangelo as an example of a person who shows loyalty and support of family. Also discuss how family may cause stress on one individual in the family group.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on education by observing. Using Michelangelo's impact on the painter, Rafael, and his own watching outside the Sculpture Garden, discuss in your essay how watching a master work is a kind of education in itself.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)