|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
2. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
3. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
4. What happens to prevent Michelangelo from finishing the tomb of Pope Julius this time?
5. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the devastating effects of Savonarola's rule in Florence. Mention the art that was destroyed and the closing of art schools. Also include how Botticelli buckled under the pressure of Savonarola's sermons.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)