|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
2. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
3. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
4. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
5. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
2. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
3. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
4. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
5. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
6. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
7. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
8. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
9. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
10. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how successful people are either admired or envied and hated. Use Michelangelo as an example but expand the essay into a general truth.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on political intrigue using the succession of popes during Michelangelo's lifetime as examples. Discuss how circumstances kept changing that often threatened Michelangelo's work.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on education by observing. Using Michelangelo's impact on the painter, Rafael, and his own watching outside the Sculpture Garden, discuss in your essay how watching a master work is a kind of education in itself.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)