|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
2. While working on the panels, what is Michelangelo dreaming about?
3. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
4. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
5. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
2. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
3. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
4. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
5. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
6. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
7. Describe the beginning of the friendship between Michelangelo and the Contessina.
8. How does Michelangelo's first year of training go?
9. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
10. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about camaraderie. Write about how people in similar circumstances tend to help each other out as everyone did in the workplace of Michelangelo off the Via del Proconsolo.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement that a troubled mind makes a poor draftsman. Discuss how problems and worries interfere with creative work of any kind. Conclude your essay with a recommendation for dealing with problems while trying to accomplish a task.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about humility. Refer to the meeting between Michelangelo and Galli who lay on his deathbed. In your essay use Galli's words that plenty brings pride. Discuss the importance of humility in life.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)