|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo carve surreptitiously?
2. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
3. How does Michelangelo feel about painting frescoes?
4. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
5. What do the members of the elite academy discuss and learn about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
2. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
3. What happens when Michelangelo finally gets to speak with Cardinal Riario about starting on the large block of marble?
4. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
5. Explain how the antagonism of Bramante developed against Michelangelo.
6. How does Michelangelo's first year of training go?
7. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
8. What is the result of Michelangelo's carving something for Piero de Medici?
9. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
10. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on education by observing. Using Michelangelo's impact on the painter, Rafael, and his own watching outside the Sculpture Garden, discuss in your essay how watching a master work is a kind of education in itself.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on working out problems for oneself. Using Michelangelo's visit to the Topolinos while trying to decide what to do after the death of Lorenzo, discuss how work and solitude are useful in the decision making process.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on liberal arts education. Mention the advantages Michelangelo received because of his exposure to literature and art in the Plato Academy. Defend the idea of knowing about art, music, and literature today.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)