|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
2. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
3. Who operates the sculpture garden?
4. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
5. Who helps Michelangelo find a place of his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Michelangelo's carving something for Piero de Medici?
2. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
3. What does Lorenzo de Medici reveal to Michelangelo about his training?
4. What happens when Michelangelo finally gets to speak with Cardinal Riario about starting on the large block of marble?
5. Explain how the antagonism of Bramante developed against Michelangelo.
6. How does Michelangelo escape his father's house?
7. Tell something about Michelangelo's reception when he returns home.
8. Describe the beginning of the friendship between Michelangelo and the Contessina.
9. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
10. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on working out problems for oneself. Using Michelangelo's visit to the Topolinos while trying to decide what to do after the death of Lorenzo, discuss how work and solitude are useful in the decision making process.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement that a troubled mind makes a poor draftsman. Discuss how problems and worries interfere with creative work of any kind. Conclude your essay with a recommendation for dealing with problems while trying to accomplish a task.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)