|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
2. What is Michelangelo worried about before going to the Medici school?
3. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
4. What does Michelangelo need before he can start carving the marble?
5. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lorenzo de Medici reveal to Michelangelo about his training?
2. Explain what Michelangelo is expected to learn in addition to his art.
3. Explain how the antagonism of Bramante developed against Michelangelo.
4. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
5. Describe Michelangelo's living conditions when he first comes to Rome.
6. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
7. Describe the conditions Michelangelo finds when he moves into Lorenzo's palazzo.
8. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
9. What happens when Michelangelo finally gets to speak with Cardinal Riario about starting on the large block of marble?
10. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. Discuss Stone's style and his research to make the novel historically accurate. End with your recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of art in the world. Include what you think the world would be like if there were no art. Mention how censorship of art might have deprived the world of great masterpieces by Michelangelo.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement that a troubled mind makes a poor draftsman. Discuss how problems and worries interfere with creative work of any kind. Conclude your essay with a recommendation for dealing with problems while trying to accomplish a task.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)