|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
2. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
3. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
4. What is Michelangelo expected to learn about?
5. As a second problem, what must Michelangelo have if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
2. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
3. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
4. Describe how Michelangelo gets his start in art education.
5. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
6. What is the result of Michelangelo's carving something for Piero de Medici?
7. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
8. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
9. How does Michelangelo escape his father's house?
10. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about camaraderie. Write about how people in similar circumstances tend to help each other out as everyone did in the workplace of Michelangelo off the Via del Proconsolo.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)