|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Working all day and studying all night, what do people think Michelangelo is doing?
2. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
3. What does Michelangelo believe that Ghirlandaio disagrees with?
4. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
5. What is the first of Michelangelo's problems if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
2. Explain how Michelangelo finally gets to do some real artwork.
3. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
4. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
5. Describe briefly the way friendship develops between Michelangelo and the contessina.
6. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
7. How does Michelangelo's first year of training go?
8. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
9. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
10. Explain what Michelangelo is expected to learn in addition to his art.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about religious extremism. Use the example of the Inquisition to show how people sometimes try to enforce their own religious ideology on others.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about beauty. MIchelangelo's love of beauty brought great masterpieces to the world. Discuss how important you think it is to have beauty in the world. How does beauty affect the beholders?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)