Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working on the panels, what is Michelangelo dreaming about?
2. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
3. Who is Il Magnifico?
4. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
5. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
2. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
3. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
4. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
5. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
6. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
7. How does Michelangelo escape his father's house?
8. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
9. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
10. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the devastating effects of Savonarola's rule in Florence. Mention the art that was destroyed and the closing of art schools. Also include how Botticelli buckled under the pressure of Savonarola's sermons.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on loyalty. What is the value of loyalty to friends or political leaders. Is loyalty always repaid?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement that a troubled mind makes a poor draftsman. Discuss how problems and worries interfere with creative work of any kind. Conclude your essay with a recommendation for dealing with problems while trying to accomplish a task.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)