|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
2. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
3. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
4. What does Michelangelo believe that Ghirlandaio disagrees with?
5. What is the important commission from the Cardinal of San Dionigi that Michelangelo wants to bid on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, beside the Bacchus commission, does Michelangelo get from Jacopo Galli?
2. Describe how Michelangelo gets his start in art education.
3. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
4. What does Lorenzo de Medici reveal to Michelangelo about his training?
5. Explain how Michelangelo finally gets to do some real artwork.
6. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
7. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
8. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
9. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
10. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about beauty. MIchelangelo's love of beauty brought great masterpieces to the world. Discuss how important you think it is to have beauty in the world. How does beauty affect the beholders?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on education by observing. Using Michelangelo's impact on the painter, Rafael, and his own watching outside the Sculpture Garden, discuss in your essay how watching a master work is a kind of education in itself.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about camaraderie. Write about how people in similar circumstances tend to help each other out as everyone did in the workplace of Michelangelo off the Via del Proconsolo.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)