|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
2. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
3. who brings Michelangelo to Ghirlandaio?
4. Who is the young Contessina de Medici that Michelangelo sees in the sculpture garden?
5. What does Michelangelo learn the city fathers have sent behind Piero de Medici's back?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
2. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
3. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
4. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
5. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
6. What is the result of Michelangelo's carving something for Piero de Medici?
7. Describe Michelangelo's living conditions when he first comes to Rome.
8. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
9. Describe briefly the way friendship develops between Michelangelo and the contessina.
10. What happens when Michelangelo finally gets to speak with Cardinal Riario about starting on the large block of marble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about family relationships. Use Michelangelo as an example of a person who shows loyalty and support of family. Also discuss how family may cause stress on one individual in the family group.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Michelangelo's idea that the human form should be painted as God made it. How do you feel about his Sistine Chapel paintings or his statue of David?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about humility. Refer to the meeting between Michelangelo and Galli who lay on his deathbed. In your essay use Galli's words that plenty brings pride. Discuss the importance of humility in life.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)