|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is to go to the Medici school along with Michelangelo?
2. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
3. What does Michelangelo discover his father believes about Lorenzo de Medici?
4. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
5. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
2. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
3. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
4. Explain the risk Michelangelo takes for his art.
5. Tell something about Michelangelo's reception when he returns home.
6. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
7. Explain what Michelangelo is expected to learn in addition to his art.
8. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
9. Describe how Michelangelo gets his start in art education.
10. Describe the conditions Michelangelo finds when he moves into Lorenzo's palazzo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the will to succeed. Using Michelangelo as an example, discuss how people who achieve great things in their lives are focused and driven to succeed. Include some modern day examples as well.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of art in the world. Include what you think the world would be like if there were no art. Mention how censorship of art might have deprived the world of great masterpieces by Michelangelo.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)