|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the festival for his son, where does Piero de Medici invite Michelangelo?
2. What is something Michelangelo learns from members of the academy?
3. Where is the thirteen-year-old Michelangelo taken in March of 1488?
4. How do Michelangelo and Granacci reckon Lodovico will not be harsh when he learns his son is going to de Medici?
5. Who helps Michelangelo find a place of his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
2. What happens when Michelangelo finally gets to speak with Cardinal Riario about starting on the large block of marble?
3. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
4. Explain what Michelangelo is expected to learn in addition to his art.
5. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
6. Describe the beginning of the friendship between Michelangelo and the Contessina.
7. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
8. Describe briefly the way friendship develops between Michelangelo and the contessina.
9. What is the first problem facing Michelangelo before he can study under Bertoldo?
10. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on Michelangelo's statement to Clarissa that ugliness is evil. Discuss how this sums up Michelangelo's feelings about beauty. Include how the statement illustrates the religious ideas of the artist apart from any Church affiliation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on liberal arts education. Mention the advantages Michelangelo received because of his exposure to literature and art in the Plato Academy. Defend the idea of knowing about art, music, and literature today.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. Discuss Stone's style and his research to make the novel historically accurate. End with your recommendation for others to read the novel.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)