|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
2. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
3. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
4. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
5. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
2. What is the result of Michelangelo's carving something for Piero de Medici?
3. How does Michelangelo's first year of training go?
4. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
5. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
6. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
7. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
8. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
9. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
10. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on political intrigue using the succession of popes during Michelangelo's lifetime as examples. Discuss how circumstances kept changing that often threatened Michelangelo's work.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about beauty. MIchelangelo's love of beauty brought great masterpieces to the world. Discuss how important you think it is to have beauty in the world. How does beauty affect the beholders?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on character assassination using the innuendo about Michelangelo's relationship to Tomasso and other men. Discuss in your essay how such tactics are used as hate mongering to turn public opinion against another person.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)