|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a hard winter, where does Michelangelo's friend Granacci take him?
2. What does Michelangelo believe that Ghirlandaio disagrees with?
3. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
4. What is one thing Michelangelo is thrilled that he can do?
5. What does Michelangelo's brother, Lionardo, believe his brother has become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Michelangelo gets his start in art education.
2. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
3. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
4. What is the first problem facing Michelangelo before he can study under Bertoldo?
5. Explain how Michelangelo finally gets to do some real artwork.
6. How does Michelangelo escape his father's house?
7. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
8. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
9. Describe briefly the way friendship develops between Michelangelo and the contessina.
10. How does Michelangelo's first year of training go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on character assassination using the innuendo about Michelangelo's relationship to Tomasso and other men. Discuss in your essay how such tactics are used as hate mongering to turn public opinion against another person.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the will to succeed. Using Michelangelo as an example, discuss how people who achieve great things in their lives are focused and driven to succeed. Include some modern day examples as well.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)