|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
2. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
3. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
4. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
5. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Michelangelo finally gets to speak with Cardinal Riario about starting on the large block of marble?
2. Describe Michelangelo's strong opinions about art.
3. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
4. What is the first problem facing Michelangelo before he can study under Bertoldo?
5. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
6. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
7. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
8. How does Michelangelo's first year of training go?
9. Describe Michelangelo's living conditions when he first comes to Rome.
10. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. Discuss Stone's style and his research to make the novel historically accurate. End with your recommendation for others to read the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about humility. Refer to the meeting between Michelangelo and Galli who lay on his deathbed. In your essay use Galli's words that plenty brings pride. Discuss the importance of humility in life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Michelangelo's idea that the human form should be painted as God made it. How do you feel about his Sistine Chapel paintings or his statue of David?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)