|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Pietro Torrigiani described?
2. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
3. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
4. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
5. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
2. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
3. Explain how Michelangelo finally gets to do some real artwork.
4. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
5. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
6. What does Lorenzo de Medici reveal to Michelangelo about his training?
7. Tell something about Michelangelo's reception when he returns home.
8. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
9. Describe the conditions Michelangelo finds when he moves into Lorenzo's palazzo.
10. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on competition. Refer to Michelangelo's securing the commission to paint the second wall next to da Vinci as a good example of competition. Discuss in your essay how healthy competition brings about greater achievements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about humility. Refer to the meeting between Michelangelo and Galli who lay on his deathbed. In your essay use Galli's words that plenty brings pride. Discuss the importance of humility in life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about beauty. MIchelangelo's love of beauty brought great masterpieces to the world. Discuss how important you think it is to have beauty in the world. How does beauty affect the beholders?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)