|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
(a) the way he would have looked if his face had not been ruined
(b) the epitome of the figures he has painted and carved
(c) the way he would like to look
(d) a potentially good model
2. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) designing the Sistine Chapel
(b) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
(c) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
(d) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
3. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
(a) the Pope might become angry with the Ridolfi family
(b) he does not know where to find her
(c) her husband will not allow it
(d) he does not have the proper clothes
4. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
(a) taking too much time to finish
(b) better horses than on da Vinci's wall
(c) painting man as God made him
(d) dressing all the people as Florentines
5. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
(d) the Contessina
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
2. What does Michelangelo's father accuse him of in letters from Florence?
3. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
4. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
5. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
2. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
3. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
4. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
5. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
6. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
7. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
8. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
9. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
10. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)