|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lodovico dies in 1534, what does Michelangelo do?
(a) travels to Milan to find new commissions
(b) sells everything he has in Florence and goes to Spain
(c) sees the work finished on San Lorenzo and returns to Rome
(d) appeal to Pope Clement for more commissions
2. What is offered to Michelangelo with a commission for him to sculpt the Twelve Apostles for the cathedral?
(a) a new wardrobe
(b) a house
(c) a large block of marble
(d) a seat on the city council
3. Why does Lodovico not understand Michelangelo's financial situation?
(a) he is very poor at numbers
(b) he thinks Michelangelo lies to him
(c) others work for the Vatican and become rich
(d) he forgets how much Michelangelo has given the family
4. What does the news of the death of the Pope bring?
(a) riots in the streets of Rome
(b) a rush of orders for Michelangelo
(c) a commission to carve Pope Clement's tomb
(d) the Duke of Urbino to Michelangelo's door
5. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) he has no money for taxes
(b) fear of angering the Pope
(c) the unfinished work he left behind
(d) they remember his de Medici connection
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
2. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
3. What does Pope Julius II want Michelangelo to carve for him?
4. What is Michelangelo's problem for getting the Pietrasanta marble to Rome?
5. What work of da Vinci's does Giuliano want to show Michelangelo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
2. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
3. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
4. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
5. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
6. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
7. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
8. Describe briefly the attraction Michelangelo feels toward Tommaso Cavalieri.
9. What family problem does Michelangelo attempt to solve with his brothers?
10. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)