|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
(c) St. Paul
(d) a pieta
2. What does Michelangelo insist on from the Pope?
(a) that Swiss Guards surround the chapel at night
(b) that he sleep in the chapel
(c) that he be given extra money for paints
(d) that only he have the keys to the chapel
3. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
(a) that his life is over
(b) that the de Medici family is still angry with him
(c) that the Church is a criminal organization
(d) that his life and reputation are ruined
4. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
(a) Pietro Torrigiani
(b) Tommaso Cavalieri
(c) Andrea Bregno
(d) Francesco Granacci
5. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
(a) Pope Clement dies
(b) the Holy Roman Empire is defeated
(c) Rome burns
(d) St. Peter's basilica collapses
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
2. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
3. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
4. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
5. Who agrees to protect Florence from the Borgias?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Michelangelo disenchanted with the work he is doing for a cardinal while thinking about the Wool Guild marble?
2. What family problem does Michelangelo attempt to solve with his brothers?
3. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
4. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
5. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
6. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
7. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
8. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
9. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
10. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)