|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
(a) the Cardinal wants it
(b) the marble cracks
(c) vandals attack it
(d) it falls over
2. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is in trouble with the law
(b) he is made of money
(c) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
(d) he is a total failure
3. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
(a) the Duke dies of a stroke
(b) Pope Adrian has a change of heart
(c) Jacopo Galli testifies in favor of Michelangelo
(d) The next Pope is Giulio de Medici, who becomes Pope Clement VII
4. What is the connection of Pope Paul III to the de Medici family?
(a) he once worked for Pope Leo X
(b) his sister is married to a de Medici
(c) he was educated by Lorenzo de Medici
(d) his mother was a de Medici
5. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
(a) a gravestone for a merchant
(b) a Risen Christ for Metello Vari
(c) a garden decoration for de Medici
(d) a cupid for the Bishop of Florence
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
2. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
3. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
4. What causes the death of Pope Leo X?
5. What does Michelangelo insist on from the Pope?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
2. How do Michelangelo and da Vinci end up working on the same project?
3. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
4. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
5. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
6. Why is Michelangelo disenchanted with the work he is doing for a cardinal while thinking about the Wool Guild marble?
7. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
8. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
9. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
10. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)