|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
(a) Jacopo Galli testifies in favor of Michelangelo
(b) the Duke dies of a stroke
(c) Pope Adrian has a change of heart
(d) The next Pope is Giulio de Medici, who becomes Pope Clement VII
2. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
(a) uplift the worshipers who will come there
(b) make it look larger than it is
(c) to mask the problems created by others
(d) draw the eye away from the floor
3. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a bas relief
(b) a marble table
(c) a bronze statue
(d) a painting
4. Which former admirer of the artist, now seems to scorn Michelangelo?
(c) da Vinci
5. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
(b) jewelry design
(d) small wood sculpuures
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
2. What is offered to Michelangelo with a commission for him to sculpt the Twelve Apostles for the cathedral?
3. What commission has Bramante won from the Pope?
4. The Pope wants the road but what other problem does Michelangelo have?
5. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
2. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
3. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
4. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
5. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
6. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
7. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
8. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
9. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
10. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)