|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
(a) a contract for decorating a palace
(b) a scaffolding they do not use
(c) a studio for rent
(d) a large block of marble
2. What does the Duke really want to punish Michelangelo for?
(a) for abandoning the project in favor of de Medici projects
(b) for taking so long to do the tomb
(c) for living in the Medicdi palace
(d) for changing the design of the tomb
3. What does the Duke of Urbino, administrator of Julius' will and his heir want from Michelangelo?
(a) to start over on Julius' tomb
(b) to create a monument to Julius
(c) to leave Rome and never return
(d) to finish Julius' tomb
4. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
(a) he is relieved
(b) he is angry
(c) he doesn't notice
(d) he sends money
5. What does Leonardo da Vinci do that irritates Michelangelo?
(a) steals his commission
(b) challenge him to a carving duel
(c) openly denigrates sculpture
(d) makes jokes about Michelangelo
Short Answer Questions
1. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
2. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
3. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
4. What work of da Vinci's does Giuliano want to show Michelangelo?
5. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
2. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
3. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
4. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
5. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
6. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
7. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
8. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
9. Even in Florence what does Michelangelo learn about the influence of the Pope?
10. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)