|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
(a) Cardinal Riario
(b) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(c) Cardinal Giovanni de Medici
(d) Pietro Torrigiani
2. What work of da Vinci's does Giuliano want to show Michelangelo?
(a) a machine that allows a man to fly
(b) a new kind of carriage
(c) a lens to improve vision
(d) experiments in alchemy
3. What distresses Michelangelo about many of his commissions?
(a) not paying him what they are worth
(b) having to comply with other people's ideas
(c) having to finish too quickly
(d) not getting enough of them
4. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) he has no money for taxes
(b) fear of angering the Pope
(c) they remember his de Medici connection
(d) the unfinished work he left behind
5. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
(a) not to conquer Florence
(b) to come and rule Florence
(c) not to take Florence artists to Rome
(d) to lower Florence's taxes
Short Answer Questions
1. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
2. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
3. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
4. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
5. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
2. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
3. What does Michelangelo hope for after Pope Julius II dies?
4. Describe briefly the attraction Michelangelo feels toward Tommaso Cavalieri.
5. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
6. Briefly describe the intrigue going on in Rome while Michelangelo works on the Sistine Chapel.
7. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
8. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
9. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
10. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)