|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
(a) someone to mix his paints
(b) a system of ropes and pullies
(c) the Pope's permission
(d) a large supply of paint
2. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is in trouble with the law
(b) he is made of money
(c) he is a total failure
(d) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
3. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) designing the Sistine Chapel
(b) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
(c) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
(d) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
4. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) an audience with Pope Leo X
(b) money to open their own shop
(c) his house in Florence
(d) a place to stay in Rome
5. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
(a) a large block of marble
(b) a studio for rent
(c) a contract for decorating a palace
(d) a scaffolding they do not use
Short Answer Questions
1. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
2. What does Michelangelo insist on from the Pope?
3. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
4. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
5. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
2. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
3. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
4. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
5. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
6. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
7. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
8. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
9. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
10. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)