|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
(a) Sandro Bottecelli
(b) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(c) Leonardo da Vinci
(d) Donato Donatello
2. Who is coming to the home of Vittoria Colonna, the Marchesa di Pescara?
(a) Pope Clement
(b) Prince Olaf of Norway
(c) King Charles V of France
(d) the Doge of Milan
3. Why can Michelangelo not talk to Pope Julius II?
(a) the Pope is in Bologna
(b) the Swiss guard will not let him pass
(c) there is a waiting list for months
(d) he cannot gain an audience
4. What causes the death of Pope Leo X?
(a) a heart attack
(b) a chill caught while on a hunt
(c) the plague
(d) a cup of hemlock
5. Why does Lodovico not understand Michelangelo's financial situation?
(a) he thinks Michelangelo lies to him
(b) others work for the Vatican and become rich
(c) he is very poor at numbers
(d) he forgets how much Michelangelo has given the family
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo's father accuse him of in letters from Florence?
2. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
3. What does Pope Julius II want Michelangelo to carve for him?
4. With whom does the Marchesa appear to be affiliated?
5. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
2. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
3. What family problem does Michelangelo attempt to solve with his brothers?
4. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
5. Although Pope Clement had been unpopular in Florence, how does Michelangelo view his death?
6. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
7. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
8. How does Michelangelo react when he is refused admittance to see Pope Julius II?
9. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
10. Briefly describe the intrigue going on in Rome while Michelangelo works on the Sistine Chapel.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)