|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
(a) draw the eye away from the floor
(b) to mask the problems created by others
(c) make it look larger than it is
(d) uplift the worshipers who will come there
2. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
(b) the Contessina
3. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) money to open their own shop
(b) a place to stay in Rome
(c) an audience with Pope Leo X
(d) his house in Florence
4. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
(a) painting the nude figure
(b) polishing marble like the pieta
(c) larger than life sculptures
(d) sculpting tombs
5. Which former admirer of the artist, now seems to scorn Michelangelo?
(c) da Vinci
Short Answer Questions
1. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
2. What causes the death of Pope Leo X?
3. Who agrees to protect Florence from the Borgias?
4. What does Michelangelo do after accepting the Cardinal's commission?
5. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
2. Describe briefly the attraction Michelangelo feels toward Tommaso Cavalieri.
3. What does Michelangelo hope for after Pope Julius II dies?
4. How do the Bolognese assign the guilt of association to Michelangelo?
5. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
6. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
7. How do Michelangelo and da Vinci end up working on the same project?
8. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
9. How does Michelangelo learn about the block of marble that will eventually become one of his greatest works?
10. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)