|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo insist on from the Pope?
(a) that he be given extra money for paints
(b) that Swiss Guards surround the chapel at night
(c) that he sleep in the chapel
(d) that only he have the keys to the chapel
2. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
(b) a pieta
(d) St. Paul
3. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
(a) because they visit with King Charles V of France
(b) because they prefer the nude statues of Michelangelo
(c) because the rarely attend mass
(d) because they do not think the Church is infallible
4. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
(a) the birth of Jesus
(b) Moses and the Ten Commandments
(c) the Genesis story
(d) Noah and the flood
5. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
(a) the Pope might become angry with the Ridolfi family
(b) he does not know where to find her
(c) he does not have the proper clothes
(d) her husband will not allow it
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
2. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
3. What does Pope Paul III want Michelangelo to do?
4. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
5. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michelangelo react to the cancellation of the San Lorenzo project?
2. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
3. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
4. How do the Bolognese assign the guilt of association to Michelangelo?
5. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
6. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
7. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
8. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
9. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
10. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)