|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
(a) a new house and shop
(b) proposals for a variety of projects
(c) money that has long been owed him
(d) an audience with the Pope
2. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) old fashioned and plain
(b) too ethereal to understand
(c) scandalous and revolting
(d) too good to be hidden in a church
3. What happens to prevent Michelangelo from finishing the tomb of Pope Julius this time?
(a) the tomb is vandalized by religious fanatics
(b) the fact that he has no money for the supplies he needs
(c) the election of Alessandro Farnese to the papacy as Pope Paul III
(d) a war with the King of France breaks out
4. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
(a) The next Pope is Giulio de Medici, who becomes Pope Clement VII
(b) Jacopo Galli testifies in favor of Michelangelo
(c) the Duke dies of a stroke
(d) Pope Adrian has a change of heart
5. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) designing the Sistine Chapel
(b) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
(c) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
(d) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michelangelo have trouble with the Bolognese people?
2. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
3. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
4. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
5. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the intrigue going on in Rome while Michelangelo works on the Sistine Chapel.
2. What does Michelangelo hope for after Pope Julius II dies?
3. Describe briefly the attraction Michelangelo feels toward Tommaso Cavalieri.
4. What audacious request does Pope Leo make of Michelangelo while he works on Julius' tomb?
5. How do Michelangelo and da Vinci end up working on the same project?
6. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
7. What problem does Michelangelo learn about that holds up awarding the Wool Guild commission?
8. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
9. What family problem does Michelangelo attempt to solve with his brothers?
10. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)