|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
(a) that the Church is a criminal organization
(b) that the de Medici family is still angry with him
(c) that his life is over
(d) that his life and reputation are ruined
2. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
(a) larger than life sculptures
(b) sculpting tombs
(c) painting the nude figure
(d) polishing marble like the pieta
3. Who agrees to protect Florence from the Borgias?
(a) the Vatican
(b) the Gauls
(c) the Greeks
(d) the French
4. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Alexander
(b) Pope Clement
(c) Pope Adrian
(d) Pope Pius II
5. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
(a) disgusted because it is nude
(b) enthralled by what they see
(c) indifferent, holding back payment
(d) angry over the misuse of the marble
Short Answer Questions
1. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
2. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
3. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
4. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
5. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Bolognese assign the guilt of association to Michelangelo?
2. Describe briefly the attraction Michelangelo feels toward Tommaso Cavalieri.
3. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
4. What demand does Pope Julius make on Michelangelo that he does not want to do?
5. How does Bramante complicate the start of Pope Julius II's tomb?
6. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
7. How is Michelangelo caught up in the politics between Florence and Pope Clement?
8. What is the political shift in the Vatican after Leo X dies?
9. Briefly explain the problem Michelangelo has with the Carraini over Leo's insistence on using Pietrasanta marble.
10. How does Pope Paul III outmaneuver Michelangelo over the matter of Pope Julius' tomb?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)