|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) form ideas of his own
(b) work in three dimensions
(c) replicate Bertoldo's style
(d) speak French
2. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
(a) new clothes fitting for the Medici palace
(b) permission to attend the de Medici school
(c) money to live on
(d) the new equipment he will need
3. Why does Michelangelo arrange for loans?
(a) to buy a workshop
(b) to send for his family
(c) to pay the Cardinal
(d) to pay his father's debt
4. How does Michelangelo feel about painting frescoes?
(a) he is thrilled to be doing them
(b) he does not like doing them
(c) he feels he is learning a lot
(d) he thinks they are difficult to do
5. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
(a) they are holy and should be revered
(b) they are rich and should give to the poor
(c) they are his strong supporters
(d) they are evil and should be destroyed
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
2. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
3. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
4. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
5. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Michelangelo gets his start in art education.
2. Explain how the antagonism of Bramante developed against Michelangelo.
3. Describe Michelangelo's living conditions when he first comes to Rome.
4. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
5. What is the result of Michelangelo's carving something for Piero de Medici?
6. What is the first problem facing Michelangelo before he can study under Bertoldo?
7. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
8. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
9. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
10. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)