|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
(a) they are his strong supporters
(b) they are rich and should give to the poor
(c) they are holy and should be revered
(d) they are evil and should be destroyed
2. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
(a) a set of small soldiers
(b) a cupid
(c) a snowman
(d) a bed
3. What is Michelangelo's position in the home of Cardinal Riario?
(a) one of the Cardinal's skilled workmen
(b) the philosophy instructor
(c) the Cardinals confidant
(d) the apprentice architect
4. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) stop playing and go to work
(b) learn how to copy him
(c) see how little talent he has
(d) develop his own style in his own way
5. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
(a) pay him a stipend to study there
(b) allow him to paint his own designs
(c) give him a good recommendation
(d) buy all of his art supplies
Short Answer Questions
1. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
2. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
3. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
4. If caught in his nighttime study of anatomy, what might the Church do to him?
5. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the risk Michelangelo takes for his art.
2. What is the first problem facing Michelangelo before he can study under Bertoldo?
3. Explain how Michelangelo finally gets to do some real artwork.
4. What does Lorenzo de Medici reveal to Michelangelo about his training?
5. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
6. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
7. Describe how Michelangelo gets his start in art education.
8. What is the result of Michelangelo's carving something for Piero de Medici?
9. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
10. Describe the conditions Michelangelo finds when he moves into Lorenzo's palazzo.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)