|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets Michelangelo a short interview with Cardinal Riario?
(a) Jacopo Galli
(b) Giuliano da Sangallo
(c) Leo Baglioni
(d) Andrea Bregno
2. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
(a) through treaty
(b) through inheritance
(c) through warfare
(d) through eminent domaine
3. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
(a) helps him when his stepmother dies
(b) teaches him more about architecture
(c) introduces him to a diplomat
(d) shows him where to buy marble
4. What does Michelangelo insist painting draped figures allows the artist to do?
(a) have less trouble with textures
(b) put emphasis on color over form
(c) ignore the shape and features of the body
(d) work faster to finsh a painting
5. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
(a) breaks Michelangelo's tools
(b) breaks Michelangelo's sculpture
(c) breaks Michelangelo's arm
(d) breaks Michelangelo's nose
Short Answer Questions
1. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
2. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
3. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
4. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
5. Displeased with Piero de Medici, what are the people of Florence more inclined to listen to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
2. Tell something about Michelangelo's reception when he returns home.
3. What is Michelangelo's dilemma while trying to learn from Bertoldo?
4. Describe briefly the way friendship develops between Michelangelo and the contessina.
5. Describe how Michelangelo gets his start in art education.
6. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
7. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
8. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
9. How does Michelangelo escape his father's house?
10. Explain how Michelangelo finds the place where he really wants to be.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)