|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
(b) putting out his paintings for sale
(c) waiting to see a de Medici coming
(d) standing outside the school's gates, watching
2. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Adonis
(b) a sculpture of a Bacchus
(c) a sculpture of Venus
(d) a sculpture of Dyonisus
3. What is the first of Michelangelo's problems if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) money to buy sculpting tools
(b) the attitude of his father
(c) Ghirlandaio's attitude toward sculpture
(d) two years left as an apprentice for Ghirlandaio
4. Who wants to bring down the papacy and return Italy to the simple, stark, religious ways of his own beliefs?
(a) Lorenzo de Medici
(b) Lodovico Buonarroti
(c) Leonardo da Vinci
5. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) stop playing and go to work
(b) see how little talent he has
(c) develop his own style in his own way
(d) learn how to copy him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
2. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
3. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
4. Where is the thirteen-year-old Michelangelo taken in March of 1488?
5. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Michelangelo accept the offer to return to Ghirlandaio's school?
2. Explain how Michelangelo finally gets to do some real artwork.
3. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
4. Describe Michelangelo's strong opinions about art.
5. Tell something about Michelangelo's reception when he returns home.
6. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
7. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
8. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
9. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
10. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)