|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Displeased with Piero de Medici, what are the people of Florence more inclined to listen to?
(a) Savonarola's sermons praising Piero de Medici
(b) Savonarola's sermons about the excesses of evil
(c) speakers promoting a democratic government
(d) proposals for annexing Florence to France
2. What does Michelangelo recognize he must do to keep his father from taking him away?
(a) start working in marble
(b) earn some money
(c) stay out of his father's sight
(d) bring home good reports
3. What does Michelangelo have after his meeting with the Cardinal?
(a) a new workshop to work in
(b) a seven-foot block of marble and no money
(c) a commission to carvea pieta
(d) a letter of introduction to the Pope
4. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) form ideas of his own
(b) replicate Bertoldo's style
(c) work in three dimensions
(d) speak French
5. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) develop his own style in his own way
(b) learn how to copy him
(c) stop playing and go to work
(d) see how little talent he has
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
2. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
3. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
4. How is Pietro Torrigiani described?
5. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
2. How does Michelangelo's father add stress to his son while he is working on Pope Julius' tomb?
3. How does Pope Leo X, Giovanni de Medici, the first of the de Medici Popes, use Vatican finances?
4. Why does Michelangelo not close up his brothers' unprofitable shop?
5. How does Michelangelo finally get the Wool Guild commission?
6. What does Michelangelo realize as he studies the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
7. Describe the conditions Michelangelo finds when he moves into Lorenzo's palazzo.
8. What does Lorenzo de Medici reveal to Michelangelo about his training?
9. What political unrest occurs while Michelangelo works on the David?
10. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)