|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo refuse to do for Piero de Medici?
(a) carve a bust of his wife
(b) paint a portrait of his wife
(c) design jewelry for his wife
(d) escort his wife
2. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) paint with close supervision
(b) redesign the panel
(c) bring in a nude model
(d) work with two other apprentices
3. What is Michelangelo worried about before going to the Medici school?
(a) how to dress
(b) at what hour to arrive
(c) how to tell his father
(d) where to get his supplies
4. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
(a) the hardest available Tuscan walnut
(b) a piece of discarded marble
(c) a large lump of solidified plaster
(d) sandstone taken from the quarry
5. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) a new position in Milan
(b) his son's becoming famous
(c) connections to de Medici
(d) Michelangelo will change his mind
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
2. What is one thing Michelangelo is thrilled that he can do?
3. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
4. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
5. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michelangelo's meeting Clarissa.
2. How does Torrigiani expose his envy of Michelangelo?
3. Describe Michelangelo's problem in trying to convince his father to allow him to study in the Sculpture Garden.
4. Explain how the antagonism of Bramante developed against Michelangelo.
5. Describe how Michelangelo's ideas depart from the ideas of his teacher.
6. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
7. Explain the surprise announcement after Michelangelo has been at Ghirlandaio's school for one year.
8. How does Michelangelo's first year of training go?
9. Describe the conditions Michelangelo finds when he moves into Lorenzo's palazzo.
10. What does Lorenzo de Medici reveal to Michelangelo about his training?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)