|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Savonarola believe art is?
(a) neither good nor bad
(b) a gift from God
(c) blasphemous and ungodly
(d) godly and uplifting
2. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
(a) pride is all I have left
(b) I have my name
(c) I'm not proud, I'm hungry
(d) I still have some money in my pruse
3. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
(a) they are evil and should be destroyed
(b) they are holy and should be revered
(c) they are rich and should give to the poor
(d) they are his strong supporters
4. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
(a) cater to the Medici family
(b) release his student
(c) continue Michaelangelo's stipend
(d) keep Michaelangelo as a student
5. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) working for the Pope
(b) befriending the Borgias
(c) looking for him
(d) selling miniature sculptures
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes and sees the sculpture Michelangelo did?
2. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
3. How does Michelangelo feel about painting frescoes?
4. If caught in his nighttime study of anatomy, what might the Church do to him?
5. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Michelangelo finally gets to do some real artwork.
2. When the Contessina sees Michelangelo after he leaves her house, what transpires?
3. How does Michelangelo escape his father's house?
4. Explain the effect of Michelangelo's broken nose at the hand of Torrigiani.
5. Describe briefly the way friendship develops between Michelangelo and the contessina.
6. Describe the conditions Michelangelo finds when he moves into Lorenzo's palazzo.
7. What happens when Michelangelo finally gets to speak with Cardinal Riario about starting on the large block of marble?
8. Describe Michelangelo's frustration in the Sculpture Garden.
9. Describe Michelangelo's strong opinions about art.
10. How does Michelangelo react to the Cardinal's failure to give him instructions and permission to start carving?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)