|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
(b) he never kept any receipts
(c) his recordkeeping is poor
(d) his receipts were lost in a fire
2. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is made of money
(b) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
(c) he is in trouble with the law
(d) he is a total failure
3. With whom does the Marchesa appear to be affiliated?
(a) the de Medici family
(b) a group of wealthy patrons of the arts
(c) the Royal Family of Spain
(d) a group that believes the Church needs reforms
4. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) fear of angering the Pope
(b) he has no money for taxes
(c) they remember his de Medici connection
(d) the unfinished work he left behind
5. When do Michelangelo and the Contessina finally talk about their mutual love?
(a) on her deathbed
(b) when she becomes the official hostess of the Pope
(c) one night in the Sistine Chapel
(d) after her husband dies
6. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
(a) not to take Florence artists to Rome
(b) to come and rule Florence
(c) not to conquer Florence
(d) to lower Florence's taxes
7. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
(a) Andrea Bregno
(b) Tommaso Cavalieri
(c) Francesco Granacci
(d) Pietro Torrigiani
8. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
(a) the birth of Jesus
(b) Moses and the Ten Commandments
(c) Noah and the flood
(d) the Genesis story
9. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) old fashioned and plain
(b) too good to be hidden in a church
(c) too ethereal to understand
(d) scandalous and revolting
10. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
(c) the Contessina
11. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a marble table
(b) a bronze statue
(c) a bas relief
(d) a painting
12. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
(a) the marble shatters
(b) the road cannot be completed
(c) the Pope dies
(d) the project is to be abandoned
13. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
(a) to get back at Michelangelo
(b) to test some of his inventions
(c) to hedge his bets
(d) to be on the winning side
14. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
(a) a large block of marble
(b) a studio for rent
(c) a scaffolding they do not use
(d) a contract for decorating a palace
15. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
(a) that his life and reputation are ruined
(b) that the de Medici family is still angry with him
(c) that the Church is a criminal organization
(d) that his life is over
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
2. What does Pope Julius II want Michelangelo to carve for him?
3. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
4. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
5. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)