|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Jacopo Galli secure a commission for Michelangelo?
(a) a magistrate
(b) a prince
(c) a cardinal
(d) a shipping magnate
2. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
(a) because the rarely attend mass
(b) because they prefer the nude statues of Michelangelo
(c) because they visit with King Charles V of France
(d) because they do not think the Church is infallible
3. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
(a) that the Church is a criminal organization
(b) that his life and reputation are ruined
(c) that his life is over
(d) that the de Medici family is still angry with him
4. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
(a) the epitome of the figures he has painted and carved
(b) a potentially good model
(c) the way he would like to look
(d) the way he would have looked if his face had not been ruined
5. Who causes Michelangelo problems over his plans for Julius II's tomb?
(a) da Vinci
(c) his brother Lionardo
6. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
(a) a cupid for the Bishop of Florence
(b) a Risen Christ for Metello Vari
(c) a gravestone for a merchant
(d) a garden decoration for de Medici
7. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
(a) painting the nude figure
(b) polishing marble like the pieta
(c) larger than life sculptures
(d) sculpting tombs
8. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
(a) Moses and the Ten Commandments
(b) Noah and the flood
(c) the Genesis story
(d) the birth of Jesus
9. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
(b) the Carraini people run away
(c) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
(d) the Carraini people destroy the road
10. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
(a) Donato Donatello
(b) Sandro Bottecelli
(c) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(d) Leonardo da Vinci
11. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
(b) his receipts were lost in a fire
(c) his recordkeeping is poor
(d) he never kept any receipts
12. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
(a) a house he must pay rent on but no money
(b) an order to redesign his tomb
(c) a small stipend which he sends to his father
(d) a work area he must pay rent on
13. What is Michelangelo's problem for getting the Pietrasanta marble to Rome?
(a) no wagon is big enough
(b) no road is available
(c) no one will help him
(d) the marble is too fragile
14. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
(a) Cardinal Riario
(b) Pietro Torrigiani
(c) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(d) Cardinal Giovanni de Medici
15. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
(a) he needs to speed up the work before the paint dries
(b) he needs to be closer to the surface
(c) his Florence paint mixture does not work in Rome
(d) he needs to slow down the work to let the paint dry
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
2. What does Pope Julius II want Michelangelo to carve for him?
3. The Pope wants the road but what other problem does Michelangelo have?
4. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
5. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)