|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
(a) St. Peter's basilica collapses
(b) the Holy Roman Empire is defeated
(c) Pope Clement dies
(d) Rome burns
2. Why does Michelangelo have trouble with the Bolognese people?
(a) because he spurns Clarissa
(b) because he has no money
(c) because he is from Florence
(d) because he works for the Pope
3. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
(a) Pietro Torrigiani
(b) Francesco Granacci
(c) Andrea Bregno
(d) Tommaso Cavalieri
4. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Adrian
(b) Pope Alexander
(c) Pope Pius II
(d) Pope Clement
5. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
(b) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
(c) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
(d) designing the Sistine Chapel
6. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
(a) the Pope dies
(b) the project is to be abandoned
(c) the road cannot be completed
(d) the marble shatters
7. What does Michelangelo do after accepting the Cardinal's commission?
(a) goes into hiding
(b) moves back to Rome
(c) rents an apartment and sends for Argiento
(d) gives all his money to Lodovico
8. What does Michelangelo accept that puts him in competition with da Vinci?
(a) an art exhibit in the palizzo
(b) a sculpture of the Mona Lisa
(c) a design for a new cathedral
(d) painting a wall next to his
9. What causes the death of Pope Leo X?
(a) a heart attack
(b) the plague
(c) a chill caught while on a hunt
(d) a cup of hemlock
10. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
(c) St. Paul
(d) a pieta
11. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) too good to be hidden in a church
(b) scandalous and revolting
(c) too ethereal to understand
(d) old fashioned and plain
12. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
(a) a studio for rent
(b) a scaffolding they do not use
(c) a large block of marble
(d) a contract for decorating a palace
13. Who agrees to protect Florence from the Borgias?
(a) the Gauls
(b) the Vatican
(c) the French
(d) the Greeks
14. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is a total failure
(b) he is made of money
(c) he is in trouble with the law
(d) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
15. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
(a) draw the eye away from the floor
(b) make it look larger than it is
(c) to mask the problems created by others
(d) uplift the worshipers who will come there
Short Answer Questions
1. What is offered to Michelangelo with a commission for him to sculpt the Twelve Apostles for the cathedral?
2. As payment to the French, what will Michelangelo carve?
3. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
4. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
5. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)