|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
(d) the Contessina
2. As payment to the French, what will Michelangelo carve?
(a) a monument to set up in Paris
(b) something for the Marechal de' Gie
(c) something for Charles VIII
(d) a tomb for the King
3. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a marble table
(b) a bronze statue
(c) a bas relief
(d) a painting
4. What does the Duke of Urbino, administrator of Julius' will and his heir want from Michelangelo?
(a) to leave Rome and never return
(b) to start over on Julius' tomb
(c) to create a monument to Julius
(d) to finish Julius' tomb
5. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) an audience with Pope Leo X
(b) money to open their own shop
(c) a place to stay in Rome
(d) his house in Florence
6. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Alexander
(b) Pope Pius II
(c) Pope Adrian
(d) Pope Clement
7. Why does Lodovico not understand Michelangelo's financial situation?
(a) he thinks Michelangelo lies to him
(b) others work for the Vatican and become rich
(c) he forgets how much Michelangelo has given the family
(d) he is very poor at numbers
8. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
(a) the walls of a sacristy of the San Lorenzo
(b) the portico of his summer palace
(c) decorations for the Papal apartments
(d) a baptismal font for San Lorenzo
9. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(b) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
(c) a written apology from Michelangelo
(d) an extension of time to finish the tomb
10. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
(a) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(b) Donato Donatello
(c) Leonardo da Vinci
(d) Sandro Bottecelli
11. What is Michelangelo's problem for getting the Pietrasanta marble to Rome?
(a) the marble is too fragile
(b) no road is available
(c) no wagon is big enough
(d) no one will help him
12. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
(a) his Florence paint mixture does not work in Rome
(b) he needs to be closer to the surface
(c) he needs to speed up the work before the paint dries
(d) he needs to slow down the work to let the paint dry
13. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
(a) the Pope's permission
(b) a large supply of paint
(c) a system of ropes and pullies
(d) someone to mix his paints
14. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
(b) he never kept any receipts
(c) his receipts were lost in a fire
(d) his recordkeeping is poor
15. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
(a) it falls over
(b) the marble cracks
(c) vandals attack it
(d) the Cardinal wants it
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leonardo da Vinci do that irritates Michelangelo?
2. What does the news of the death of the Pope bring?
3. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
4. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
5. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)