|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) ban Michelangelo from working
(b) take Michelangelo to court
(c) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
(d) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
2. What does Michelangelo's father accuse him of in letters from Florence?
(a) causing problems for his brothers
(b) siding with the de Medicis.
(c) spending a fortune on himself
(d) forgetting his family name
3. How does Buonarroto's wife cause problems for Michelangelo?
(a) she demands fine gowns and jewels
(b) she produces several children
(c) she tries to seduce Michelangelo
(d) she becomes a spy for Pope Julius II
4. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
(b) a pieta
(c) St. Paul
5. What does the news of the death of the Pope bring?
(a) a rush of orders for Michelangelo
(b) the Duke of Urbino to Michelangelo's door
(c) a commission to carve Pope Clement's tomb
(d) riots in the streets of Rome
6. What is Michelangelo's problem for getting the Pietrasanta marble to Rome?
(a) no one will help him
(b) no wagon is big enough
(c) the marble is too fragile
(d) no road is available
7. What does Pope Paul III want Michelangelo to do?
(a) to finish the tomb of Pope Julius II
(b) to carve another David
(c) to complete the Sistine Chapel
(d) to return to Florence and reopen the sculpture garden
8. Why does Michelangelo have trouble with the Bolognese people?
(a) because he works for the Pope
(b) because he has no money
(c) because he spurns Clarissa
(d) because he is from Florence
9. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
(a) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(b) Sandro Bottecelli
(c) Leonardo da Vinci
(d) Donato Donatello
10. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
(b) the Carraini people destroy the road
(c) the Carraini people run away
(d) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
11. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Pius II
(b) Pope Alexander
(c) Pope Adrian
(d) Pope Clement
12. What commission has Bramante won from the Pope?
(a) to build a new St. Peter's
(b) to carve the Pope's tomb
(c) to design the tomb Michelangelo will carve
(d) to add on to the Vatican
13. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
(a) to get back at Michelangelo
(b) to hedge his bets
(c) to test some of his inventions
(d) to be on the winning side
14. What distresses Michelangelo about many of his commissions?
(a) not getting enough of them
(b) having to comply with other people's ideas
(c) having to finish too quickly
(d) not paying him what they are worth
15. What does Leo X want Michelangelo to work on after his sister dies?
(a) the Contessina's tomb
(b) the de Medici family burial vault
(c) the de Medici family church, San Lorenzo
(d) the statue of St. Teresa
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
2. What does Pope Leo X want Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and Michelangelo to do?
3. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
4. The Pope wants the road but what other problem does Michelangelo have?
5. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)