|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke of Urbino, administrator of Julius' will and his heir want from Michelangelo?
(a) to finish Julius' tomb
(b) to create a monument to Julius
(c) to start over on Julius' tomb
(d) to leave Rome and never return
2. Who is coming to the home of Vittoria Colonna, the Marchesa di Pescara?
(a) Prince Olaf of Norway
(b) King Charles V of France
(c) the Doge of Milan
(d) Pope Clement
3. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
(a) that the de Medici family is still angry with him
(b) that his life is over
(c) that the Church is a criminal organization
(d) that his life and reputation are ruined
4. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
(b) a written apology from Michelangelo
(c) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(d) an extension of time to finish the tomb
5. What does the new Pope want to do in the church?
(a) to right the wrongs of Pope Leo X
(b) execute all artists
(c) build a new cathedral
(d) tear down the tomb of Pope Julius II
6. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
(a) money that has long been owed him
(b) an audience with the Pope
(c) proposals for a variety of projects
(d) a new house and shop
7. What is offered to Michelangelo with a commission for him to sculpt the Twelve Apostles for the cathedral?
(a) a new wardrobe
(b) a house
(c) a large block of marble
(d) a seat on the city council
8. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) he has no money for taxes
(b) the unfinished work he left behind
(c) they remember his de Medici connection
(d) fear of angering the Pope
9. From whom does Jacopo Galli secure a commission for Michelangelo?
(a) a magistrate
(b) a shipping magnate
(c) a prince
(d) a cardinal
10. What does Leonardo da Vinci do that irritates Michelangelo?
(a) openly denigrates sculpture
(b) makes jokes about Michelangelo
(c) steals his commission
(d) challenge him to a carving duel
11. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
(b) the Carraini people destroy the road
(c) the Carraini people run away
(d) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
12. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
(a) he sends money
(b) he is angry
(c) he is relieved
(d) he doesn't notice
13. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
(a) he does not have the proper clothes
(b) the Pope might become angry with the Ridolfi family
(c) her husband will not allow it
(d) he does not know where to find her
14. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
(a) Cardinal Riario
(b) Pietro Torrigiani
(c) Cardinal Giovanni de Medici
(d) Domenico Ghirlandaio
15. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
(a) the break up of their families
(b) to lose their merchant standing within the community
(c) a full year's rent
(d) their places on the city council
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
2. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
3. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
4. Which former admirer of the artist, now seems to scorn Michelangelo?
5. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)