|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
(b) an extension of time to finish the tomb
(c) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(d) a written apology from Michelangelo
2. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
(a) angry over the misuse of the marble
(b) indifferent, holding back payment
(c) enthralled by what they see
(d) disgusted because it is nude
3. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is made of money
(b) he is a total failure
(c) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
(d) he is in trouble with the law
4. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) old fashioned and plain
(b) too good to be hidden in a church
(c) too ethereal to understand
(d) scandalous and revolting
5. Who is coming to the home of Vittoria Colonna, the Marchesa di Pescara?
(a) the Doge of Milan
(b) Pope Clement
(c) King Charles V of France
(d) Prince Olaf of Norway
6. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
(a) polishing marble like the pieta
(b) sculpting tombs
(c) larger than life sculptures
(d) painting the nude figure
7. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
(a) to get back at Michelangelo
(b) to hedge his bets
(c) to test some of his inventions
(d) to be on the winning side
8. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
(a) a potentially good model
(b) the way he would have looked if his face had not been ruined
(c) the epitome of the figures he has painted and carved
(d) the way he would like to look
9. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
(a) he needs to be closer to the surface
(b) he needs to speed up the work before the paint dries
(c) his Florence paint mixture does not work in Rome
(d) he needs to slow down the work to let the paint dry
10. What work of da Vinci's does Giuliano want to show Michelangelo?
(a) a new kind of carriage
(b) experiments in alchemy
(c) a lens to improve vision
(d) a machine that allows a man to fly
11. The Pope wants the road but what other problem does Michelangelo have?
(a) the Pope will not decide about it
(b) the Pope will not fund it
(c) the Pope will not send workers
(d) the Pope will not approve it
12. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) fear of angering the Pope
(b) the unfinished work he left behind
(c) he has no money for taxes
(d) they remember his de Medici connection
13. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
(a) a system of ropes and pullies
(b) someone to mix his paints
(c) the Pope's permission
(d) a large supply of paint
14. What is the connection of Pope Paul III to the de Medici family?
(a) he once worked for Pope Leo X
(b) he was educated by Lorenzo de Medici
(c) his sister is married to a de Medici
(d) his mother was a de Medici
15. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Clement
(b) Pope Pius II
(c) Pope Alexander
(d) Pope Adrian
Short Answer Questions
1. Who causes Michelangelo problems over his plans for Julius II's tomb?
2. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
3. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
4. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
5. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)