|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to prevent Michelangelo from finishing the tomb of Pope Julius this time?
(a) the tomb is vandalized by religious fanatics
(b) the fact that he has no money for the supplies he needs
(c) a war with the King of France breaks out
(d) the election of Alessandro Farnese to the papacy as Pope Paul III
2. As payment to the French, what will Michelangelo carve?
(a) something for the Marechal de' Gie
(b) a monument to set up in Paris
(c) something for Charles VIII
(d) a tomb for the King
3. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(b) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
(c) a written apology from Michelangelo
(d) an extension of time to finish the tomb
4. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
(a) the marble shatters
(b) the road cannot be completed
(c) the project is to be abandoned
(d) the Pope dies
5. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
(a) a contract for decorating a palace
(b) a studio for rent
(c) a scaffolding they do not use
(d) a large block of marble
6. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
(a) he needs to speed up the work before the paint dries
(b) he needs to slow down the work to let the paint dry
(c) he needs to be closer to the surface
(d) his Florence paint mixture does not work in Rome
7. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) too ethereal to understand
(b) too good to be hidden in a church
(c) old fashioned and plain
(d) scandalous and revolting
8. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) his receipts were lost in a fire
(b) he never kept any receipts
(c) his recordkeeping is poor
(d) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
9. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
(a) the Holy Roman Empire is defeated
(b) St. Peter's basilica collapses
(c) Rome burns
(d) Pope Clement dies
10. From whom does Jacopo Galli secure a commission for Michelangelo?
(a) a shipping magnate
(b) a prince
(c) a cardinal
(d) a magistrate
11. After Lodovico dies in 1534, what does Michelangelo do?
(a) sells everything he has in Florence and goes to Spain
(b) travels to Milan to find new commissions
(c) appeal to Pope Clement for more commissions
(d) sees the work finished on San Lorenzo and returns to Rome
12. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is in trouble with the law
(b) he is a total failure
(c) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
(d) he is made of money
13. What is Michelangelo's problem for getting the Pietrasanta marble to Rome?
(a) no one will help him
(b) the marble is too fragile
(c) no wagon is big enough
(d) no road is available
14. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
(a) make it look larger than it is
(b) draw the eye away from the floor
(c) to mask the problems created by others
(d) uplift the worshipers who will come there
15. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
(a) enthralled by what they see
(b) angry over the misuse of the marble
(c) disgusted because it is nude
(d) indifferent, holding back payment
Short Answer Questions
1. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
2. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
3. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
4. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
5. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)