|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
(a) the Pope might become angry with the Ridolfi family
(b) he does not know where to find her
(c) he does not have the proper clothes
(d) her husband will not allow it
2. What is offered to Michelangelo with a commission for him to sculpt the Twelve Apostles for the cathedral?
(a) a house
(b) a seat on the city council
(c) a large block of marble
(d) a new wardrobe
3. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) they remember his de Medici connection
(b) the unfinished work he left behind
(c) he has no money for taxes
(d) fear of angering the Pope
4. Who causes Michelangelo problems over his plans for Julius II's tomb?
(c) his brother Lionardo
(d) da Vinci
5. When do Michelangelo and the Contessina finally talk about their mutual love?
(a) one night in the Sistine Chapel
(b) when she becomes the official hostess of the Pope
(c) on her deathbed
(d) after her husband dies
6. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
(a) the Pope's permission
(b) someone to mix his paints
(c) a system of ropes and pullies
(d) a large supply of paint
7. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Alexander
(b) Pope Pius II
(c) Pope Clement
(d) Pope Adrian
8. What does Pope Paul III want Michelangelo to do?
(a) to return to Florence and reopen the sculpture garden
(b) to carve another David
(c) to complete the Sistine Chapel
(d) to finish the tomb of Pope Julius II
9. What does Michelangelo accept that puts him in competition with da Vinci?
(a) a design for a new cathedral
(b) a sculpture of the Mona Lisa
(c) painting a wall next to his
(d) an art exhibit in the palizzo
10. Which former admirer of the artist, now seems to scorn Michelangelo?
(b) da Vinci
11. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
(b) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
(c) designing the Sistine Chapel
(d) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
12. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) too ethereal to understand
(b) scandalous and revolting
(c) too good to be hidden in a church
(d) old fashioned and plain
13. What does the news of the death of the Pope bring?
(a) riots in the streets of Rome
(b) a commission to carve Pope Clement's tomb
(c) a rush of orders for Michelangelo
(d) the Duke of Urbino to Michelangelo's door
14. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
(a) Giovanni de Medici
(b) the Cardinal of San Dionigi
(c) Cardinal Riario
(d) Jacopo Galli
15. Why can Michelangelo not talk to Pope Julius II?
(a) the Swiss guard will not let him pass
(b) the Pope is in Bologna
(c) he cannot gain an audience
(d) there is a waiting list for months
Short Answer Questions
1. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
2. Why does Lodovico not understand Michelangelo's financial situation?
3. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
4. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
5. From whom does Jacopo Galli secure a commission for Michelangelo?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)