|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
(a) to test some of his inventions
(b) to hedge his bets
(c) to get back at Michelangelo
(d) to be on the winning side
2. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
(a) someone to mix his paints
(b) a system of ropes and pullies
(c) the Pope's permission
(d) a large supply of paint
3. How does Buonarroto's wife cause problems for Michelangelo?
(a) she produces several children
(b) she demands fine gowns and jewels
(c) she becomes a spy for Pope Julius II
(d) she tries to seduce Michelangelo
4. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) designing the Sistine Chapel
(b) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
(c) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
(d) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
5. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people run away
(b) the Carraini people destroy the road
(c) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
(d) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
6. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
(a) Francesco Granacci
(b) Pietro Torrigiani
(c) Tommaso Cavalieri
(d) Andrea Bregno
7. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) a place to stay in Rome
(b) his house in Florence
(c) an audience with Pope Leo X
(d) money to open their own shop
8. What does Pope Leo X want Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and Michelangelo to do?
(a) become friends
(b) return to Florence
(c) work together on the sistine Chapel
(d) design his summer villa
9. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
(b) St. Paul
(c) a pieta
10. What does Pope Julius II want Michelangelo to carve for him?
(a) a copy of the David
(b) a new marble throne
(c) another pieta
(d) his tomb in the middle of St. Peter's
11. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a marble table
(b) a bas relief
(c) a painting
(d) a bronze statue
12. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(b) a written apology from Michelangelo
(c) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
(d) an extension of time to finish the tomb
13. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) ban Michelangelo from working
(b) take Michelangelo to court
(c) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
(d) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
14. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
(a) a scaffolding they do not use
(b) a large block of marble
(c) a contract for decorating a palace
(d) a studio for rent
15. Who agrees to protect Florence from the Borgias?
(a) the Gauls
(b) the Vatican
(c) the Greeks
(d) the French
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Jacopo Galli secure a commission for Michelangelo?
2. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
3. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
4. What does Michelangelo insist on from the Pope?
5. What is Michelangelo's problem for getting the Pietrasanta marble to Rome?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)