|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the connection of Pope Paul III to the de Medici family?
(a) he once worked for Pope Leo X
(b) his sister is married to a de Medici
(c) he was educated by Lorenzo de Medici
(d) his mother was a de Medici
2. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
(a) vandals attack it
(b) the marble cracks
(c) it falls over
(d) the Cardinal wants it
3. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
(a) because they do not think the Church is infallible
(b) because they prefer the nude statues of Michelangelo
(c) because the rarely attend mass
(d) because they visit with King Charles V of France
4. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
(a) the Pope might become angry with the Ridolfi family
(b) her husband will not allow it
(c) he does not know where to find her
(d) he does not have the proper clothes
5. What does Pope Leo X want Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and Michelangelo to do?
(a) work together on the sistine Chapel
(b) design his summer villa
(c) become friends
(d) return to Florence
6. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a bronze statue
(b) a bas relief
(c) a marble table
(d) a painting
7. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
(a) the portico of his summer palace
(b) a baptismal font for San Lorenzo
(c) decorations for the Papal apartments
(d) the walls of a sacristy of the San Lorenzo
8. What does Michelangelo accept that puts him in competition with da Vinci?
(a) an art exhibit in the palizzo
(b) a sculpture of the Mona Lisa
(c) painting a wall next to his
(d) a design for a new cathedral
9. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
(a) he is relieved
(b) he sends money
(c) he is angry
(d) he doesn't notice
10. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
(b) the Carraini people run away
(c) the Carraini people destroy the road
(d) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
11. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) he never kept any receipts
(b) his receipts were lost in a fire
(c) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
(d) his recordkeeping is poor
12. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
(a) St. Peter's basilica collapses
(b) the Holy Roman Empire is defeated
(c) Pope Clement dies
(d) Rome burns
13. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
(b) take Michelangelo to court
(c) ban Michelangelo from working
(d) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
14. What does the new Pope want to do in the church?
(a) build a new cathedral
(b) to right the wrongs of Pope Leo X
(c) tear down the tomb of Pope Julius II
(d) execute all artists
15. Why can Michelangelo not talk to Pope Julius II?
(a) the Swiss guard will not let him pass
(b) there is a waiting list for months
(c) the Pope is in Bologna
(d) he cannot gain an audience
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the news of the death of the Pope bring?
2. What happens to all the marbles Michelangelo collects for the St. Lorenzo church?
3. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
4. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
5. After Lodovico dies in 1534, what does Michelangelo do?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)