|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
(a) not to conquer Florence
(b) to come and rule Florence
(c) not to take Florence artists to Rome
(d) to lower Florence's taxes
2. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) he has no money for taxes
(b) fear of angering the Pope
(c) they remember his de Medici connection
(d) the unfinished work he left behind
3. What does Pope Leo X want Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and Michelangelo to do?
(a) work together on the sistine Chapel
(b) design his summer villa
(c) return to Florence
(d) become friends
4. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
(b) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
(c) the Carraini people destroy the road
(d) the Carraini people run away
5. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
(a) Pope Clement dies
(b) the Holy Roman Empire is defeated
(c) St. Peter's basilica collapses
(d) Rome burns
6. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
(a) the way he would have looked if his face had not been ruined
(b) the way he would like to look
(c) a potentially good model
(d) the epitome of the figures he has painted and carved
7. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
(a) because they prefer the nude statues of Michelangelo
(b) because the rarely attend mass
(c) because they do not think the Church is infallible
(d) because they visit with King Charles V of France
8. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) a written apology from Michelangelo
(b) an extension of time to finish the tomb
(c) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(d) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
9. Who causes Michelangelo problems over his plans for Julius II's tomb?
(b) da Vinci
(c) his brother Lionardo
10. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
(a) angry over the misuse of the marble
(b) enthralled by what they see
(c) disgusted because it is nude
(d) indifferent, holding back payment
11. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
(a) a new house and shop
(b) an audience with the Pope
(c) proposals for a variety of projects
(d) money that has long been owed him
12. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
(a) a full year's rent
(b) their places on the city council
(c) to lose their merchant standing within the community
(d) the break up of their families
13. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) old fashioned and plain
(b) scandalous and revolting
(c) too good to be hidden in a church
(d) too ethereal to understand
14. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
(a) a baptismal font for San Lorenzo
(b) the portico of his summer palace
(c) the walls of a sacristy of the San Lorenzo
(d) decorations for the Papal apartments
15. What commission has Bramante won from the Pope?
(a) to design the tomb Michelangelo will carve
(b) to carve the Pope's tomb
(c) to add on to the Vatican
(d) to build a new St. Peter's
Short Answer Questions
1. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
2. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
3. What does the news of the death of the Pope bring?
4. Who is coming to the home of Vittoria Colonna, the Marchesa di Pescara?
5. What does the Duke really want to punish Michelangelo for?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)