|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
(a) a gravestone for a merchant
(b) a cupid for the Bishop of Florence
(c) a Risen Christ for Metello Vari
(d) a garden decoration for de Medici
2. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
(a) to come and rule Florence
(b) not to conquer Florence
(c) not to take Florence artists to Rome
(d) to lower Florence's taxes
3. The Pope wants the road but what other problem does Michelangelo have?
(a) the Pope will not send workers
(b) the Pope will not fund it
(c) the Pope will not decide about it
(d) the Pope will not approve it
4. What does Pope Leo X want Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and Michelangelo to do?
(a) return to Florence
(b) work together on the sistine Chapel
(c) become friends
(d) design his summer villa
5. When do Michelangelo and the Contessina finally talk about their mutual love?
(a) after her husband dies
(b) when she becomes the official hostess of the Pope
(c) on her deathbed
(d) one night in the Sistine Chapel
6. Why does Michelangelo have trouble with the Bolognese people?
(a) because he works for the Pope
(b) because he has no money
(c) because he spurns Clarissa
(d) because he is from Florence
7. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people destroy the road
(b) the Carraini people run away
(c) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
(d) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
8. Why does Lodovico not understand Michelangelo's financial situation?
(a) he forgets how much Michelangelo has given the family
(b) others work for the Vatican and become rich
(c) he is very poor at numbers
(d) he thinks Michelangelo lies to him
9. What happens to all the marbles Michelangelo collects for the St. Lorenzo church?
(a) it is left where it lay affter the accident
(b) it is used for tiling the floor of the duomo
(c) it is thrown into the tiber rriver
(d) it is crushed and used for road paving
10. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
(a) angry over the misuse of the marble
(b) enthralled by what they see
(c) indifferent, holding back payment
(d) disgusted because it is nude
11. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
(a) to hedge his bets
(b) to be on the winning side
(c) to test some of his inventions
(d) to get back at Michelangelo
12. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
(b) he is made of money
(c) he is in trouble with the law
(d) he is a total failure
13. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
(a) Rome burns
(b) Pope Clement dies
(c) the Holy Roman Empire is defeated
(d) St. Peter's basilica collapses
14. What does the new Pope want to do in the church?
(a) execute all artists
(b) build a new cathedral
(c) to right the wrongs of Pope Leo X
(d) tear down the tomb of Pope Julius II
15. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
(a) a large supply of paint
(b) the Pope's permission
(c) a system of ropes and pullies
(d) someone to mix his paints
Short Answer Questions
1. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
2. What does the news of the death of the Pope bring?
3. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
4. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
5. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)