|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
(a) to test some of his inventions
(b) to be on the winning side
(c) to get back at Michelangelo
(d) to hedge his bets
2. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
(b) take Michelangelo to court
(c) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
(d) ban Michelangelo from working
3. Which former admirer of the artist, now seems to scorn Michelangelo?
(b) da Vinci
4. Who agrees to protect Florence from the Borgias?
(a) the French
(b) the Vatican
(c) the Greeks
(d) the Gauls
5. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) he has no money for taxes
(b) fear of angering the Pope
(c) the unfinished work he left behind
(d) they remember his de Medici connection
6. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
(a) he needs to speed up the work before the paint dries
(b) he needs to slow down the work to let the paint dry
(c) he needs to be closer to the surface
(d) his Florence paint mixture does not work in Rome
7. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) an audience with Pope Leo X
(b) a place to stay in Rome
(c) money to open their own shop
(d) his house in Florence
8. What does the Duke really want to punish Michelangelo for?
(a) for changing the design of the tomb
(b) for abandoning the project in favor of de Medici projects
(c) for living in the Medicdi palace
(d) for taking so long to do the tomb
9. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
(a) not to conquer Florence
(b) to come and rule Florence
(c) to lower Florence's taxes
(d) not to take Florence artists to Rome
10. What does Leo X want Michelangelo to work on after his sister dies?
(a) the statue of St. Teresa
(b) the de Medici family church, San Lorenzo
(c) the Contessina's tomb
(d) the de Medici family burial vault
11. Why does Michelangelo have trouble with the Bolognese people?
(a) because he works for the Pope
(b) because he is from Florence
(c) because he spurns Clarissa
(d) because he has no money
12. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
(a) painting man as God made him
(b) taking too much time to finish
(c) better horses than on da Vinci's wall
(d) dressing all the people as Florentines
13. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a painting
(b) a bronze statue
(c) a bas relief
(d) a marble table
14. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
(a) Noah and the flood
(b) Moses and the Ten Commandments
(c) the birth of Jesus
(d) the Genesis story
15. What happens to prevent Michelangelo from finishing the tomb of Pope Julius this time?
(a) the fact that he has no money for the supplies he needs
(b) the election of Alessandro Farnese to the papacy as Pope Paul III
(c) a war with the King of France breaks out
(d) the tomb is vandalized by religious fanatics
Short Answer Questions
1. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
2. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
3. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
4. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
5. What does Leonardo da Vinci do that irritates Michelangelo?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)