|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) a place to stay in Rome
(b) money to open their own shop
(c) his house in Florence
(d) an audience with Pope Leo X
2. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) scandalous and revolting
(b) too good to be hidden in a church
(c) too ethereal to understand
(d) old fashioned and plain
3. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) ban Michelangelo from working
(b) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
(c) take Michelangelo to court
(d) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
4. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
(a) the break up of their families
(b) to lose their merchant standing within the community
(c) their places on the city council
(d) a full year's rent
5. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
(a) because the rarely attend mass
(b) because they prefer the nude statues of Michelangelo
(c) because they do not think the Church is infallible
(d) because they visit with King Charles V of France
6. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
(a) Pietro Torrigiani
(b) Cardinal Giovanni de Medici
(c) Cardinal Riario
(d) Domenico Ghirlandaio
7. With whom does the Marchesa appear to be affiliated?
(a) the de Medici family
(b) the Royal Family of Spain
(c) a group of wealthy patrons of the arts
(d) a group that believes the Church needs reforms
8. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) an extension of time to finish the tomb
(b) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(c) a written apology from Michelangelo
(d) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
9. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) fear of angering the Pope
(b) the unfinished work he left behind
(c) they remember his de Medici connection
(d) he has no money for taxes
10. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
(b) jewelry design
(d) small wood sculpuures
11. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) he never kept any receipts
(b) his recordkeeping is poor
(c) his receipts were lost in a fire
(d) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
12. How does Buonarroto's wife cause problems for Michelangelo?
(a) she produces several children
(b) she tries to seduce Michelangelo
(c) she becomes a spy for Pope Julius II
(d) she demands fine gowns and jewels
13. Why does Lodovico not understand Michelangelo's financial situation?
(a) he forgets how much Michelangelo has given the family
(b) others work for the Vatican and become rich
(c) he is very poor at numbers
(d) he thinks Michelangelo lies to him
14. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
(a) a studio for rent
(b) a large block of marble
(c) a scaffolding they do not use
(d) a contract for decorating a palace
15. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
(a) dressing all the people as Florentines
(b) better horses than on da Vinci's wall
(c) painting man as God made him
(d) taking too much time to finish
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pope Julius II want Michelangelo to carve for him?
2. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
3. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
4. Why does Michelangelo have trouble with the Bolognese people?
5. As payment to the French, what will Michelangelo carve?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)