|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
(a) an audience with the Pope
(b) a new house and shop
(c) money that has long been owed him
(d) proposals for a variety of projects
2. What does Leonardo da Vinci do that irritates Michelangelo?
(a) openly denigrates sculpture
(b) challenge him to a carving duel
(c) makes jokes about Michelangelo
(d) steals his commission
3. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
(a) because they visit with King Charles V of France
(b) because the rarely attend mass
(c) because they prefer the nude statues of Michelangelo
(d) because they do not think the Church is infallible
4. What does the Duke really want to punish Michelangelo for?
(a) for changing the design of the tomb
(b) for abandoning the project in favor of de Medici projects
(c) for living in the Medicdi palace
(d) for taking so long to do the tomb
5. What happens to all the marbles Michelangelo collects for the St. Lorenzo church?
(a) it is thrown into the tiber rriver
(b) it is left where it lay affter the accident
(c) it is crushed and used for road paving
(d) it is used for tiling the floor of the duomo
6. When do Michelangelo and the Contessina finally talk about their mutual love?
(a) one night in the Sistine Chapel
(b) when she becomes the official hostess of the Pope
(c) on her deathbed
(d) after her husband dies
7. Why does Lodovico not understand Michelangelo's financial situation?
(a) he forgets how much Michelangelo has given the family
(b) others work for the Vatican and become rich
(c) he is very poor at numbers
(d) he thinks Michelangelo lies to him
8. What does Pope Leo X want Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and Michelangelo to do?
(a) become friends
(b) design his summer villa
(c) work together on the sistine Chapel
(d) return to Florence
9. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) take Michelangelo to court
(b) ban Michelangelo from working
(c) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
(d) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
10. Who is coming to the home of Vittoria Colonna, the Marchesa di Pescara?
(a) Pope Clement
(b) Prince Olaf of Norway
(c) the Doge of Milan
(d) King Charles V of France
11. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
(a) it falls over
(b) the Cardinal wants it
(c) vandals attack it
(d) the marble cracks
12. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) his receipts were lost in a fire
(b) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
(c) he never kept any receipts
(d) his recordkeeping is poor
13. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
(a) their places on the city council
(b) a full year's rent
(c) the break up of their families
(d) to lose their merchant standing within the community
14. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
(a) Leonardo da Vinci
(b) Sandro Bottecelli
(c) Donato Donatello
(d) Domenico Ghirlandaio
15. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
(a) the Carraini people attack Michelangelo
(b) the Carraini people destroy the road
(c) the Carraini people run away
(d) the Carraini people raise the price of Pietrasanta marble
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
2. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
3. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
4. What does Michelangelo do after accepting the Cardinal's commission?
5. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)