|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
(a) Francesco Granacci
(b) Tommaso Cavalieri
(c) Pietro Torrigiani
(d) Andrea Bregno
2. With whom does the Marchesa appear to be affiliated?
(a) the Royal Family of Spain
(b) a group of wealthy patrons of the arts
(c) the de Medici family
(d) a group that believes the Church needs reforms
3. What is the connection of Pope Paul III to the de Medici family?
(a) his sister is married to a de Medici
(b) he once worked for Pope Leo X
(c) he was educated by Lorenzo de Medici
(d) his mother was a de Medici
4. What does Michelangelo need in order to paint his planned story on the ceiling of the chapel?
(a) someone to mix his paints
(b) a system of ropes and pullies
(c) a large supply of paint
(d) the Pope's permission
5. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
(a) a small stipend which he sends to his father
(b) a work area he must pay rent on
(c) a house he must pay rent on but no money
(d) an order to redesign his tomb
6. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is made of money
(b) he is a total failure
(c) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
(d) he is in trouble with the law
7. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a bronze statue
(b) a marble table
(c) a painting
(d) a bas relief
8. What commission has Bramante won from the Pope?
(a) to add on to the Vatican
(b) to design the tomb Michelangelo will carve
(c) to carve the Pope's tomb
(d) to build a new St. Peter's
9. What does Leo X want Michelangelo to work on after his sister dies?
(a) the de Medici family church, San Lorenzo
(b) the de Medici family burial vault
(c) the statue of St. Teresa
(d) the Contessina's tomb
10. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
(a) decorations for the Papal apartments
(b) a baptismal font for San Lorenzo
(c) the walls of a sacristy of the San Lorenzo
(d) the portico of his summer palace
11. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
(a) to come and rule Florence
(b) not to conquer Florence
(c) not to take Florence artists to Rome
(d) to lower Florence's taxes
12. What does Pope Julius II want Michelangelo to carve for him?
(a) a copy of the David
(b) his tomb in the middle of St. Peter's
(c) another pieta
(d) a new marble throne
13. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
(b) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
(c) designing the Sistine Chapel
(d) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
14. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
(a) Giovanni de Medici
(b) Jacopo Galli
(c) the Cardinal of San Dionigi
(d) Cardinal Riario
15. Who causes Michelangelo problems over his plans for Julius II's tomb?
(b) da Vinci
(d) his brother Lionardo
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
2. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
3. Why can Michelangelo not talk to Pope Julius II?
4. What would closing their shop in Florence cost Michelangelo's brothers?
5. After three years and a great deal of his personal expense, what happens to Leo X's project?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)