|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saves Michelangelo from losing everything to the Duke of Urbino?
(a) The next Pope is Giulio de Medici, who becomes Pope Clement VII
(b) Jacopo Galli testifies in favor of Michelangelo
(c) Pope Adrian has a change of heart
(d) the Duke dies of a stroke
2. What does Pope Julius demand Michelangelo make for him?
(a) a marble table
(b) a bas relief
(c) a painting
(d) a bronze statue
3. What does Pope Leo X want Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and Michelangelo to do?
(a) work together on the sistine Chapel
(b) become friends
(c) design his summer villa
(d) return to Florence
4. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
(b) jewelry design
(c) small wood sculpuures
5. What is Michelangelo's problem for getting the Pietrasanta marble to Rome?
(a) no one will help him
(b) no road is available
(c) no wagon is big enough
(d) the marble is too fragile
6. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
(a) her husband will not allow it
(b) he does not have the proper clothes
(c) the Pope might become angry with the Ridolfi family
(d) he does not know where to find her
7. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
(a) a garden decoration for de Medici
(b) a Risen Christ for Metello Vari
(c) a gravestone for a merchant
(d) a cupid for the Bishop of Florence
8. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
(b) ban Michelangelo from working
(c) take Michelangelo to court
(d) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
9. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
(a) a work area he must pay rent on
(b) a house he must pay rent on but no money
(c) a small stipend which he sends to his father
(d) an order to redesign his tomb
10. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
(a) Andrea Bregno
(b) Tommaso Cavalieri
(c) Pietro Torrigiani
(d) Francesco Granacci
11. What causes the death of Pope Leo X?
(a) a heart attack
(b) a chill caught while on a hunt
(c) a cup of hemlock
(d) the plague
12. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) a place to stay in Rome
(b) an audience with Pope Leo X
(c) his house in Florence
(d) money to open their own shop
13. Who is gaining in popularity and importance in Rome to Michelangelo's advantage?
(a) Cardinal Riario
(b) Cardinal Giovanni de Medici
(c) Pietro Torrigiani
(d) Domenico Ghirlandaio
14. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
(a) proposals for a variety of projects
(b) money that has long been owed him
(c) a new house and shop
(d) an audience with the Pope
15. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
(a) the birth of Jesus
(b) the Genesis story
(c) Moses and the Ten Commandments
(d) Noah and the flood
Short Answer Questions
1. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
2. Why does da Vinci align himself with the Borgias?
3. What happens when Pope Leo insists on Pietrasanta marble, not Carraini marble?
4. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
5. From whom does Jacopo Galli secure a commission for Michelangelo?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)