|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo realize his painting in the Sistine Chapel is supposed to do?
(a) to mask the problems created by others
(b) make it look larger than it is
(c) draw the eye away from the floor
(d) uplift the worshipers who will come there
2. Pope Paul III likes Michelangelo's nudes in the Sistine Chapel but how do others view them?
(a) too ethereal to understand
(b) scandalous and revolting
(c) old fashioned and plain
(d) too good to be hidden in a church
3. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
(a) the marble cracks
(b) it falls over
(c) the Cardinal wants it
(d) vandals attack it
4. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
(a) jewelry design
(c) small wood sculpuures
5. What new commission does the Pope give to Michelangelo?
(a) sculpting statues of saints for the Sistine Chapel
(b) painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
(c) designing the Sistine Chapel
(d) sculpting wall decorations for the Sistine Chapel
6. What is Michelangelo's idea of a statue that can be carved from the defective block of marble?
(a) St. Paul
(b) a pieta
7. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
(a) the epitome of the figures he has painted and carved
(b) a potentially good model
(c) the way he would have looked if his face had not been ruined
(d) the way he would like to look
8. What does da Vinci tell Michelangelo that he has brought to its limits with nothing for others to perfect?
(a) painting the nude figure
(b) sculpting tombs
(c) polishing marble like the pieta
(d) larger than life sculptures
9. What happens to all the marbles Michelangelo collects for the St. Lorenzo church?
(a) it is thrown into the tiber rriver
(b) it is left where it lay affter the accident
(c) it is used for tiling the floor of the duomo
(d) it is crushed and used for road paving
10. What does Leo X want Michelangelo to work on after his sister dies?
(a) the de Medici family burial vault
(b) the de Medici family church, San Lorenzo
(c) the Contessina's tomb
(d) the statue of St. Teresa
11. What does Michelangelo do after accepting the Cardinal's commission?
(a) gives all his money to Lodovico
(b) moves back to Rome
(c) goes into hiding
(d) rents an apartment and sends for Argiento
12. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
(a) Leonardo da Vinci
(b) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(c) Donato Donatello
(d) Sandro Bottecelli
13. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
(a) angry over the misuse of the marble
(b) enthralled by what they see
(c) disgusted because it is nude
(d) indifferent, holding back payment
14. Why are Michelangelo and some of his friends under suspicion in Rome?
(a) because they prefer the nude statues of Michelangelo
(b) because the rarely attend mass
(c) because they visit with King Charles V of France
(d) because they do not think the Church is infallible
15. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Clement
(b) Pope Adrian
(c) Pope Pius II
(d) Pope Alexander
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
2. Why can Michelangelo not visit the Contessina?
3. With whom does the Marchesa appear to be affiliated?
4. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
5. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)