|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scene does Michelangelo want to paint in the Sistine Chapel?
(a) the Genesis story
(b) the birth of Jesus
(c) Noah and the flood
(d) Moses and the Ten Commandments
2. What does Michelangelo's father accuse him of in letters from Florence?
(a) causing problems for his brothers
(b) forgetting his family name
(c) spending a fortune on himself
(d) siding with the de Medicis.
3. When do Michelangelo and the Contessina finally talk about their mutual love?
(a) when she becomes the official hostess of the Pope
(b) on her deathbed
(c) one night in the Sistine Chapel
(d) after her husband dies
4. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
(a) Jacopo Galli
(b) Cardinal Riario
(c) the Cardinal of San Dionigi
(d) Giovanni de Medici
5. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
(a) an assignment as the Cardinal of Milan
(b) a written apology from Michelangelo
(c) a statue of Moses and two other statues in Michelangelo's home
(d) an extension of time to finish the tomb
6. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) the unfinished work he left behind
(b) they remember his de Medici connection
(c) he has no money for taxes
(d) fear of angering the Pope
7. What happens to prevent Michelangelo from finishing the tomb of Pope Julius this time?
(a) a war with the King of France breaks out
(b) the election of Alessandro Farnese to the papacy as Pope Paul III
(c) the fact that he has no money for the supplies he needs
(d) the tomb is vandalized by religious fanatics
8. What does the Duke really want to punish Michelangelo for?
(a) for living in the Medicdi palace
(b) for abandoning the project in favor of de Medici projects
(c) for changing the design of the tomb
(d) for taking so long to do the tomb
9. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) his house in Florence
(b) money to open their own shop
(c) a place to stay in Rome
(d) an audience with Pope Leo X
10. What does Sangallo, Michelangelo's old friend, discover about Michelangelo's problem with the painting?
(a) he needs to speed up the work before the paint dries
(b) he needs to slow down the work to let the paint dry
(c) he needs to be closer to the surface
(d) his Florence paint mixture does not work in Rome
11. Before the David statue can be placed, what happens?
(a) it falls over
(b) the Cardinal wants it
(c) vandals attack it
(d) the marble cracks
12. After Lodovico dies in 1534, what does Michelangelo do?
(a) sees the work finished on San Lorenzo and returns to Rome
(b) sells everything he has in Florence and goes to Spain
(c) travels to Milan to find new commissions
(d) appeal to Pope Clement for more commissions
13. What is the misconception his family has of Michelangelo?
(a) he is made of money
(b) he has contracts he hasn't told them about
(c) he is a total failure
(d) he is in trouble with the law
14. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) he never kept any receipts
(b) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
(c) his recordkeeping is poor
(d) his receipts were lost in a fire
15. How does Buonarroto's wife cause problems for Michelangelo?
(a) she produces several children
(b) she tries to seduce Michelangelo
(c) she becomes a spy for Pope Julius II
(d) she demands fine gowns and jewels
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the Pope when Michelangelo leaves Rome?
2. What commission has Bramante won from the Pope?
3. What happens two days after Michelangelo's return to Rome?
4. What does the Wool Guild own that is of interest to Michelangelo?
5. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)