|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julius II give Michelangelo?
(a) a house he must pay rent on but no money
(b) a small stipend which he sends to his father
(c) a work area he must pay rent on
(d) an order to redesign his tomb
2. Having lost everything, what is the one contract Michelangelo has?
(a) a Risen Christ for Metello Vari
(b) a garden decoration for de Medici
(c) a gravestone for a merchant
(d) a cupid for the Bishop of Florence
3. Which former admirer of the artist, now seems to scorn Michelangelo?
(d) da Vinci
4. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) ban Michelangelo from working
(b) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
(c) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
(d) take Michelangelo to court
5. What work of da Vinci's does Giuliano want to show Michelangelo?
(a) experiments in alchemy
(b) a lens to improve vision
(c) a machine that allows a man to fly
(d) a new kind of carriage
6. Why do the city fathers of Florence not receive Michelangelo well?
(a) he has no money for taxes
(b) they remember his de Medici connection
(c) fear of angering the Pope
(d) the unfinished work he left behind
7. The Pope wants the road but what other problem does Michelangelo have?
(a) the Pope will not fund it
(b) the Pope will not decide about it
(c) the Pope will not approve it
(d) the Pope will not send workers
8. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
(a) proposals for a variety of projects
(b) a new house and shop
(c) an audience with the Pope
(d) money that has long been owed him
9. What does the new Pope want to do in the church?
(a) tear down the tomb of Pope Julius II
(b) to right the wrongs of Pope Leo X
(c) build a new cathedral
(d) execute all artists
10. Who is being considered to carve the large block of marble that seems to have a defect?
(a) Donato Donatello
(b) Leonardo da Vinci
(c) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(d) Sandro Bottecelli
11. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) an audience with Pope Leo X
(b) his house in Florence
(c) a place to stay in Rome
(d) money to open their own shop
12. Who is the young man Michelangelo becomes infatuated with?
(a) Tommaso Cavalieri
(b) Andrea Bregno
(c) Pietro Torrigiani
(d) Francesco Granacci
13. Who is the female friend Michelangelo visits in Bologna?
(d) the Contessina
14. What distresses Michelangelo about many of his commissions?
(a) not getting enough of them
(b) not paying him what they are worth
(c) having to comply with other people's ideas
(d) having to finish too quickly
15. Who succeeds Pope Julius II as Pope Leo X?
(a) Cardinal Riario
(b) Jacopo Galli
(c) Giovanni de Medici
(d) the Cardinal of San Dionigi
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming to the home of Vittoria Colonna, the Marchesa di Pescara?
2. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
3. What causes the death of Pope Leo X?
4. What does the Duke of Urbino, administrator of Julius' will and his heir want from Michelangelo?
5. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)