|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke really want to punish Michelangelo for?
(a) for living in the Medicdi palace
(b) for abandoning the project in favor of de Medici projects
(c) for changing the design of the tomb
(d) for taking so long to do the tomb
2. What does Michelangelo give his brothers Buonarroto and Giovansimone ?
(a) his house in Florence
(b) an audience with Pope Leo X
(c) a place to stay in Rome
(d) money to open their own shop
3. What kind of artwork does Michelangelo accept reluctantly?
(a) small wood sculpuures
(b) jewelry design
4. What does Michelangelo see in the form of Tommaso Cavalieri?
(a) a potentially good model
(b) the epitome of the figures he has painted and carved
(c) the way he would like to look
(d) the way he would have looked if his face had not been ruined
5. Why does the city of Florence bribe Caesar Borgia?
(a) not to take Florence artists to Rome
(b) to come and rule Florence
(c) not to conquer Florence
(d) to lower Florence's taxes
6. What does Pope Paul III want Michelangelo to do?
(a) to complete the Sistine Chapel
(b) to return to Florence and reopen the sculpture garden
(c) to finish the tomb of Pope Julius II
(d) to carve another David
7. What is the reaction of the city when they first see the David in progress?
(a) indifferent, holding back payment
(b) disgusted because it is nude
(c) angry over the misuse of the marble
(d) enthralled by what they see
8. When do Michelangelo and the Contessina finally talk about their mutual love?
(a) when she becomes the official hostess of the Pope
(b) one night in the Sistine Chapel
(c) on her deathbed
(d) after her husband dies
9. What does the new Pope allow Duke of Urbino to do?
(a) ban Michelangelo from working
(b) make Michelangelo finish the tomb
(c) confiscate all Michelangelo's marble
(d) take Michelangelo to court
10. With whom does the Marchesa appear to be affiliated?
(a) a group of wealthy patrons of the arts
(b) the Royal Family of Spain
(c) a group that believes the Church needs reforms
(d) the de Medici family
11. What on Michelangelo's wall gains him several enemies?
(a) better horses than on da Vinci's wall
(b) taking too much time to finish
(c) dressing all the people as Florentines
(d) painting man as God made him
12. Who causes Michelangelo problems over his plans for Julius II's tomb?
(a) his brother Lionardo
(b) da Vinci
13. Who replaces Pope Leo X?
(a) Pope Alexander
(b) Pope Adrian
(c) Pope Pius II
(d) Pope Clement
14. Why is Michelangelo unable to show exactly how much he received from Pope Julius?
(a) he never kept any receipts
(b) he is not allowed to travel to Florence to get his receipts
(c) his recordkeeping is poor
(d) his receipts were lost in a fire
15. What does Michelangelo do after accepting the Cardinal's commission?
(a) goes into hiding
(b) moves back to Rome
(c) rents an apartment and sends for Argiento
(d) gives all his money to Lodovico
Short Answer Questions
1. What is worked out that the Duke of Urbino will accept instead of the finished tomb?
2. When the project for Leo X is canceled, how does Michelangelo feel?
3. While working on Julius' tomb, what comes Michelangelo's way?
4. What does the Duke of Urbino, administrator of Julius' will and his heir want from Michelangelo?
5. What does Pope Leo offer for Michelangelo to work on?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)