|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the festival for his son, where does Piero de Medici invite Michelangelo?
(a) on a trip to visit King Charles VIII of France
(b) back into the de Medici home
(c) on a trip to Bologna
(d) back to restore the Sculpture Garden
2. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
(a) as though he were not there
(b) as a messenger boy
(c) as if he knows nothing about art
(d) as a boy to make the daily coffee
3. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) waiting to see a de Medici coming
(b) standing outside the school's gates, watching
(c) putting out his paintings for sale
(d) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
4. Where is the thirteen-year-old Michelangelo taken in March of 1488?
(a) to see the Pope in Rome
(b) the Medici Palace
(c) the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio
(d) to the home of the Tropolinos
5. Who is Il Magnifico?
(a) Pope Julius II
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(c) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(d) the Doge of Milan
6. After a hard winter, where does Michelangelo's friend Granacci take him?
(a) to a sculpture garden
(b) to an art festival
(c) to Venice
(d) to a museum
7. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
(a) the Plato Academy
(b) the Vatican archives
(c) the library of the Order of Hermits of Santo Spiritu
(d) the art school of Milan
8. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
(a) Francesco Granacci
(b) Donato Donatello
(c) Bertoldo, the sculpture master
(d) Pietro Torrigiani
9. What does Michelangelo need before he can start carving the marble?
(a) an assistant to help him work
(b) a new set of carving tools
(c) getting the marble moved to Rome
(d) specific permission from the Cardinal
10. Who is Cardinal Riario di San Giorgio looking for?
(a) the sculptor Dell'Arca
(b) the man who had sculpted a cupid he owns
(c) Signor Aldovrandi
(d) Charles VIII of France
11. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) redesign the panel
(b) work with two other apprentices
(c) paint with close supervision
(d) bring in a nude model
12. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
(a) stand up
(b) refuse Lorenzo de Medici
(c) utter a word
(d) believe his ears
13. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
(a) a merchant guild
(b) Ghirlandaio's school
(c) the Florentine guard
(d) the Plato Academy
14. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(a) Lorenzo de Medici
(b) the Tropolinos
(c) Lodovico Buonarroti
15. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Dyonisus
(b) a sculpture of Adonis
(c) a sculpture of Venus
(d) a sculpture of a Bacchus
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
2. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
3. What elite group is Michelangelo invited to join?
4. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
5. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)