|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
(a) the effects of poverty
(b) the value of personal ethics
(c) the kindness of strangers
(d) the jealousy of others
2. Where is the Contessina sent as she nears marriageable age?
(a) to live in Rome
(b) to school in Milan
(c) to a convent
(d) to live with the Ridolfi
3. As a second problem, what must Michelangelo have if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) knowledge of the basics of sculpture
(b) previous art recognition
(c) an invitation from Bertoldo or one of the de Medicis
(d) ten thousand florins
4. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
(c) Il Magnifico
5. What does Michelangelo need before he can start carving the marble?
(a) an assistant to help him work
(b) specific permission from the Cardinal
(c) a new set of carving tools
(d) getting the marble moved to Rome
6. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) replicate Bertoldo's style
(b) form ideas of his own
(c) speak French
(d) work in three dimensions
7. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
(a) a bed
(b) a cupid
(c) a snowman
(d) a set of small soldiers
8. After a hard winter, where does Michelangelo's friend Granacci take him?
(a) to a sculpture garden
(b) to Venice
(c) to an art festival
(d) to a museum
9. What elite group is Michelangelo invited to join?
(a) The Florence Arts Guild
(b) The Plato Academy
(c) The Neo Lyceum
(d) The Bishop's Study Group
10. Just as Michelangelo starts working for Galli, what do the creditors in Florence demand?
(a) all the money within one month
(b) Michelangelo return to Florence and work there
(c) part of the money within the week
(d) letters of credit from Jacopo Galli
11. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
(a) little more than being stonecutters
(b) contributors to society
(c) potentially wealthy men
(d) grand artists
12. What is Michelangelo's position in the home of Cardinal Riario?
(a) the philosophy instructor
(b) one of the Cardinal's skilled workmen
(c) the Cardinals confidant
(d) the apprentice architect
13. After the festival for his son, where does Piero de Medici invite Michelangelo?
(a) back into the de Medici home
(b) back to restore the Sculpture Garden
(c) on a trip to Bologna
(d) on a trip to visit King Charles VIII of France
14. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
(a) the Florentine guard
(b) Ghirlandaio's school
(c) a merchant guild
(d) the Plato Academy
15. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) selling miniature sculptures
(b) working for the Pope
(c) befriending the Borgias
(d) looking for him
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing Michelangelo is thrilled that he can do?
2. While working on the panels, what is Michelangelo dreaming about?
3. What does Michelangelo recognize he must do to keep his father from taking him away?
4. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
5. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)