|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. who brings Michelangelo to Ghirlandaio?
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(c) Francesco Granacci
(d) Lodovico Buonarroti
2. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) a new position in Milan
(b) Michelangelo will change his mind
(c) connections to de Medici
(d) his son's becoming famous
3. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
(a) by dissecting dead bodies
(b) by watching surgeries
(c) by auditing classes
(d) by bathing patients
4. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
(a) still lifes
(b) small portraits
(c) practice canvases
5. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
(a) buy all of his art supplies
(b) pay him a stipend to study there
(c) give him a good recommendation
(d) allow him to paint his own designs
6. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
(a) his father, Lodovico
(b) his friends, the Tropolinos
(c) his friend, Francesco
(d) his patron, Lorenzo
7. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
(a) refuse Lorenzo de Medici
(b) stand up
(c) believe his ears
(d) utter a word
8. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) working for the Pope
(b) looking for him
(c) befriending the Borgias
(d) selling miniature sculptures
9. What does Michelangelo's brother, Lionardo, believe his brother has become?
(a) subservient and docile
(b) corrupted by power and money
(c) absent minded and useless
(d) overly educated in the arts
10. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) work with two other apprentices
(b) bring in a nude model
(c) paint with close supervision
(d) redesign the panel
11. What is Michelangelo expected to learn about?
(a) keeping a journal
(b) marble quarrying
(c) charging for his work
(d) dress, manners, life, and art
12. What elite group is Michelangelo invited to join?
(a) The Florence Arts Guild
(b) The Neo Lyceum
(c) The Plato Academy
(d) The Bishop's Study Group
13. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
(a) Pietro Torrigiani
(b) Bertoldo, the sculpture master
(c) Francesco Granacci
(d) Donato Donatello
14. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) stop playing and go to work
(b) develop his own style in his own way
(c) see how little talent he has
(d) learn how to copy him
15. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
(a) a piece of discarded marble
(b) sandstone taken from the quarry
(c) the hardest available Tuscan walnut
(d) a large lump of solidified plaster
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to bring down the papacy and return Italy to the simple, stark, religious ways of his own beliefs?
2. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
3. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
4. What do the members of the elite academy discuss and learn about?
5. Who is Cardinal Riario di San Giorgio looking for?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)