|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
(a) the jealousy of others
(b) the kindness of strangers
(c) the effects of poverty
(d) the value of personal ethics
2. Who is the young Contessina de Medici that Michelangelo sees in the sculpture garden?
(a) the eldest daughter of Lorenzo
(b) the youngest daughter of Lorenzo
(c) the wife of Lorenzo
(d) the mother of Lorenzo
3. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
(a) men in the Roman baths
(b) off duty guards at the Cardinal's palace
(c) his brothers who come down from Florence
(d) boys he finds playing on the streets
4. While working on the panels, what is Michelangelo dreaming about?
(a) opening his own studio
(b) finding models
(c) the sculpture garden
(d) making his name in the art world
5. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
(a) Pietro Torrigiani
(b) Francesco Granacci
(c) Donato Donatello
(d) Bertoldo, the sculpture master
6. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
(a) by bathing patients
(b) by auditing classes
(c) by watching surgeries
(d) by dissecting dead bodies
7. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) waiting to see a de Medici coming
(b) putting out his paintings for sale
(c) standing outside the school's gates, watching
(d) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
8. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(b) the Tropolinos
(c) Lodovico Buonarroti
(d) Lorenzo de Medici
9. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
(a) breaks Michelangelo's nose
(b) breaks Michelangelo's sculpture
(c) breaks Michelangelo's arm
(d) breaks Michelangelo's tools
10. Who is to go to the Medici school along with Michelangelo?
11. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
(a) as a messenger boy
(b) as though he were not there
(c) as a boy to make the daily coffee
(d) as if he knows nothing about art
12. What does Savonarola believe art is?
(a) neither good nor bad
(b) blasphemous and ungodly
(c) godly and uplifting
(d) a gift from God
13. Who operates the sculpture garden?
(d) da Vinci
14. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) a new position in Milan
(b) connections to de Medici
(c) Michelangelo will change his mind
(d) his son's becoming famous
15. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
(b) Il Magnifico
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Rome and is able to help clean out Michelangelo's new quarters?
2. What is Michelangelo worried about before going to the Medici school?
3. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
4. who brings Michelangelo to Ghirlandaio?
5. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)