|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
(b) still lifes
(c) small portraits
(d) practice canvases
2. Who gets Michelangelo a short interview with Cardinal Riario?
(a) Giuliano da Sangallo
(b) Leo Baglioni
(c) Andrea Bregno
(d) Jacopo Galli
3. Displeased with Piero de Medici, what are the people of Florence more inclined to listen to?
(a) Savonarola's sermons about the excesses of evil
(b) Savonarola's sermons praising Piero de Medici
(c) proposals for annexing Florence to France
(d) speakers promoting a democratic government
4. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) waiting to see a de Medici coming
(b) putting out his paintings for sale
(c) standing outside the school's gates, watching
(d) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
5. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
(a) it makes him look eccentric
(b) now he is handsome
(c) it is something he cannot change
(d) his work must conceal his looks
6. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
(a) breaks Michelangelo's sculpture
(b) breaks Michelangelo's tools
(c) breaks Michelangelo's nose
(d) breaks Michelangelo's arm
7. Why does Michelangelo arrange for loans?
(a) to pay the Cardinal
(b) to pay his father's debt
(c) to send for his family
(d) to buy a workshop
8. What does Michelangelo believe that Ghirlandaio disagrees with?
(a) that sculpture is the greatest art form
(b) that painting is a waste of time
(c) that art is a useless occupation
(d) that humans should never be painted nude
9. What is the important commission from the Cardinal of San Dionigi that Michelangelo wants to bid on?
(a) a statue of David
(b) a pieta
(c) a crucifixion
(d) the last supper
10. If caught in his nighttime study of anatomy, what might the Church do to him?
(a) dismiss him from school
(b) put him in prison
(c) put him to death
(d) put him in a monastery
11. In addition to Michelangelo's other problems, what happens to the Cardinal of San Dionigi?
(a) he is sent to be the Cardinal of Germany
(b) he loses his mind and cannot remember Michelangelo
(c) he dies before the pieta is finished
(d) he is excommunicated
12. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
(a) a scholarship
(b) the marble
(c) expenses back to florence
(d) a little money
13. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) the Contessina
(b) his father
(c) the church
(d) Piero de Medici
14. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
(a) sponsor him as a sculptor
(b) bring him back as a teacher of sculpture
(c) find him another patron
(d) accept him back as an apprentice
15. What is the first of Michelangelo's problems if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) Ghirlandaio's attitude toward sculpture
(b) money to buy sculpting tools
(c) the attitude of his father
(d) two years left as an apprentice for Ghirlandaio
Short Answer Questions
1. After the festival for his son, where does Piero de Medici invite Michelangelo?
2. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
3. What is something Michelangelo learns from members of the academy?
4. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
5. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)