|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) work with two other apprentices
(b) bring in a nude model
(c) paint with close supervision
(d) redesign the panel
2. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
(a) much praise and encouragement
(b) much criticism of what he does
(c) new sculpting tools
(d) a special workplace
3. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
(a) by watching surgeries
(b) by auditing classes
(c) by bathing patients
(d) by dissecting dead bodies
4. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) selling miniature sculptures
(b) working for the Pope
(c) looking for him
(d) befriending the Borgias
5. Where is the Contessina sent as she nears marriageable age?
(a) to live in Rome
(b) to a convent
(c) to live with the Ridolfi
(d) to school in Milan
6. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
(a) to see how much better he is
(b) to learn how to keep files
(c) to find a patron
(d) to learn from his own mistakes
7. What is the important commission from the Cardinal of San Dionigi that Michelangelo wants to bid on?
(a) a pieta
(b) a crucifixion
(c) the last supper
(d) a statue of David
8. Who operates the sculpture garden?
(d) da Vinci
9. After a hard winter, where does Michelangelo's friend Granacci take him?
(a) to a museum
(b) to an art festival
(c) to Venice
(d) to a sculpture garden
10. What do the members of the elite academy discuss and learn about?
(a) science, exploration, and evolution
(b) political, literary, music and philosophical ideas
(c) history, religion, and horticulture
(d) art, history, and geography
11. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
(a) his brothers who come down from Florence
(b) men in the Roman baths
(c) boys he finds playing on the streets
(d) off duty guards at the Cardinal's palace
12. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
(a) believe his ears
(b) stand up
(c) refuse Lorenzo de Medici
(d) utter a word
13. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) replicate Bertoldo's style
(b) speak French
(c) form ideas of his own
(d) work in three dimensions
14. Who is Il Magnifico?
(a) Lorenzo de Medici
(b) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(c) Pope Julius II
(d) the Doge of Milan
15. After the festival for his son, where does Piero de Medici invite Michelangelo?
(a) on a trip to Bologna
(b) back into the de Medici home
(c) back to restore the Sculpture Garden
(d) on a trip to visit King Charles VIII of France
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
2. Who gets Michelangelo a short interview with Cardinal Riario?
3. What does Michelangelo's brother, Lionardo, believe his brother has become?
4. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
5. What does Michelangelo carve surreptitiously?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)