|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michelangelo set himself apart at the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio?
(a) with the poorness of his clothes
(b) with his talents and beliefs
(c) with his anti-social behavior
(d) with his long hours of study
2. How is Pietro Torrigiani described?
(a) a well-built, handsome young man
(b) a deformed genius
(c) a short, fat hanger on
(d) a plain and untalented boy
3. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) redesign the panel
(b) bring in a nude model
(c) work with two other apprentices
(d) paint with close supervision
4. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) his son's becoming famous
(b) Michelangelo will change his mind
(c) a new position in Milan
(d) connections to de Medici
5. What does Michelangelo have after his meeting with the Cardinal?
(a) a new workshop to work in
(b) a commission to carvea pieta
(c) a seven-foot block of marble and no money
(d) a letter of introduction to the Pope
6. After the death of Lorenzo de Medici, where does Michelangelo find himself?
(a) on the way to Portugal
(b) back sharing a bed with his brother
(c) back at the Tropolino house
(d) working in the marble quarry
7. Who comes and sees the sculpture Michelangelo did?
(b) Contessina de Medici
8. Just as Michelangelo starts working for Galli, what do the creditors in Florence demand?
(a) Michelangelo return to Florence and work there
(b) part of the money within the week
(c) all the money within one month
(d) letters of credit from Jacopo Galli
9. What does Michelangelo need before he can start carving the marble?
(a) specific permission from the Cardinal
(b) a new set of carving tools
(c) an assistant to help him work
(d) getting the marble moved to Rome
10. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
(a) I'm not proud, I'm hungry
(b) I have my name
(c) I still have some money in my pruse
(d) pride is all I have left
11. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
(a) the library of the Order of Hermits of Santo Spiritu
(b) the Plato Academy
(c) the art school of Milan
(d) the Vatican archives
12. Where is the thirteen-year-old Michelangelo taken in March of 1488?
(a) the Medici Palace
(b) to see the Pope in Rome
(c) to the home of the Tropolinos
(d) the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio
13. What does Michelangelo recognize he must do to keep his father from taking him away?
(a) bring home good reports
(b) stay out of his father's sight
(c) earn some money
(d) start working in marble
14. Working all day and studying all night, what do people think Michelangelo is doing?
(a) looking for ways out of Florence
(b) getting drunk and living a wild life
(c) running contraband goods
(d) seeing a lover
15. Who is Cardinal Riario di San Giorgio looking for?
(a) the man who had sculpted a cupid he owns
(b) Charles VIII of France
(c) Signor Aldovrandi
(d) the sculptor Dell'Arca
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
2. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
3. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
4. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
5. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)