|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the important commission from the Cardinal of San Dionigi that Michelangelo wants to bid on?
(a) a statue of David
(b) the last supper
(c) a crucifixion
(d) a pieta
2. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
(a) to find a patron
(b) to learn how to keep files
(c) to see how much better he is
(d) to learn from his own mistakes
3. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
(a) they are his strong supporters
(b) they are evil and should be destroyed
(c) they are holy and should be revered
(d) they are rich and should give to the poor
4. Who helps Michelangelo find a place of his own?
(a) Jacopo Galli
(b) Giuliano da Sangallo
(c) Leo Baglioni
(d) Andrea Bregno
5. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) his father
(b) Piero de Medici
(c) the Contessina
(d) the church
6. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) bring in a nude model
(b) work with two other apprentices
(c) redesign the panel
(d) paint with close supervision
7. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) working for the Pope
(b) befriending the Borgias
(c) looking for him
(d) selling miniature sculptures
8. As a second problem, what must Michelangelo have if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) an invitation from Bertoldo or one of the de Medicis
(b) ten thousand florins
(c) previous art recognition
(d) knowledge of the basics of sculpture
9. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
(a) that it is his life
(b) that it is progressing
(c) that it is all he knows
(d) that it is holy
10. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
(a) the Florentine guard
(b) a merchant guild
(c) Ghirlandaio's school
(d) the Plato Academy
11. What is Michelangelo worried about before going to the Medici school?
(a) where to get his supplies
(b) how to tell his father
(c) how to dress
(d) at what hour to arrive
12. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
(a) Donato Donatello
(b) Bertoldo, the sculpture master
(c) Francesco Granacci
(d) Pietro Torrigiani
13. Working all day and studying all night, what do people think Michelangelo is doing?
(a) getting drunk and living a wild life
(b) running contraband goods
(c) seeing a lover
(d) looking for ways out of Florence
14. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Venus
(b) a sculpture of Adonis
(c) a sculpture of Dyonisus
(d) a sculpture of a Bacchus
15. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) see how little talent he has
(b) develop his own style in his own way
(c) learn how to copy him
(d) stop playing and go to work
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Michelangelo and Granacci reckon Lodovico will not be harsh when he learns his son is going to de Medici?
2. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
3. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
4. What elite group is Michelangelo invited to join?
5. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)