|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) the Contessina
(b) the church
(c) his father
(d) Piero de Medici
2. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
(a) a cupid
(b) a set of small soldiers
(c) a snowman
(d) a bed
3. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) waiting to see a de Medici coming
(b) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
(c) standing outside the school's gates, watching
(d) putting out his paintings for sale
4. What does Michelangelo have after his meeting with the Cardinal?
(a) a letter of introduction to the Pope
(b) a new workshop to work in
(c) a seven-foot block of marble and no money
(d) a commission to carvea pieta
5. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
(a) helps him when his stepmother dies
(b) shows him where to buy marble
(c) introduces him to a diplomat
(d) teaches him more about architecture
6. What do the members of the elite academy discuss and learn about?
(a) science, exploration, and evolution
(b) political, literary, music and philosophical ideas
(c) art, history, and geography
(d) history, religion, and horticulture
7. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
(a) his work must conceal his looks
(b) it is something he cannot change
(c) it makes him look eccentric
(d) now he is handsome
8. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
(a) Bertoldo, the sculpture master
(b) Francesco Granacci
(c) Donato Donatello
(d) Pietro Torrigiani
9. What is Michelangelo's position in the home of Cardinal Riario?
(a) one of the Cardinal's skilled workmen
(b) the philosophy instructor
(c) the apprentice architect
(d) the Cardinals confidant
10. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
(a) to find a patron
(b) to see how much better he is
(c) to learn from his own mistakes
(d) to learn how to keep files
11. Who is Il Magnifico?
(a) Lorenzo de Medici
(b) the Doge of Milan
(c) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(d) Pope Julius II
12. What is the important commission from the Cardinal of San Dionigi that Michelangelo wants to bid on?
(a) the last supper
(b) a crucifixion
(c) a pieta
(d) a statue of David
13. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) work in three dimensions
(b) speak French
(c) replicate Bertoldo's style
(d) form ideas of his own
14. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
(a) pride is all I have left
(b) I have my name
(c) I'm not proud, I'm hungry
(d) I still have some money in my pruse
15. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
(a) Il Magnifico
Short Answer Questions
1. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
2. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
3. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
4. What does Michelangelo believe that Ghirlandaio disagrees with?
5. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)