|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to Michelangelo's other problems, what happens to the Cardinal of San Dionigi?
(a) he is sent to be the Cardinal of Germany
(b) he dies before the pieta is finished
(c) he is excommunicated
(d) he loses his mind and cannot remember Michelangelo
2. After the festival for his son, where does Piero de Medici invite Michelangelo?
(a) on a trip to visit King Charles VIII of France
(b) back into the de Medici home
(c) on a trip to Bologna
(d) back to restore the Sculpture Garden
3. What does Savonarola believe art is?
(a) neither good nor bad
(b) godly and uplifting
(c) a gift from God
(d) blasphemous and ungodly
4. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
(a) much criticism of what he does
(b) much praise and encouragement
(c) a special workplace
(d) new sculpting tools
5. After a hard winter, where does Michelangelo's friend Granacci take him?
(a) to a museum
(b) to a sculpture garden
(c) to Venice
(d) to an art festival
6. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
(a) breaks Michelangelo's tools
(b) breaks Michelangelo's sculpture
(c) breaks Michelangelo's arm
(d) breaks Michelangelo's nose
7. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Venus
(b) a sculpture of a Bacchus
(c) a sculpture of Adonis
(d) a sculpture of Dyonisus
8. As a second problem, what must Michelangelo have if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) knowledge of the basics of sculpture
(b) an invitation from Bertoldo or one of the de Medicis
(c) ten thousand florins
(d) previous art recognition
9. Just as Michelangelo starts working for Galli, what do the creditors in Florence demand?
(a) part of the money within the week
(b) Michelangelo return to Florence and work there
(c) letters of credit from Jacopo Galli
(d) all the money within one month
10. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
(a) by auditing classes
(b) by watching surgeries
(c) by dissecting dead bodies
(d) by bathing patients
11. What does Michelangelo need before he can start carving the marble?
(a) specific permission from the Cardinal
(b) an assistant to help him work
(c) a new set of carving tools
(d) getting the marble moved to Rome
12. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
(a) through treaty
(b) through inheritance
(c) through warfare
(d) through eminent domaine
13. Who wants to bring down the papacy and return Italy to the simple, stark, religious ways of his own beliefs?
(a) Lodovico Buonarroti
(c) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) Leonardo da Vinci
14. Who helps Michelangelo find a place of his own?
(a) Andrea Bregno
(b) Leo Baglioni
(c) Jacopo Galli
(d) Giuliano da Sangallo
15. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
(a) I have my name
(b) I still have some money in my pruse
(c) I'm not proud, I'm hungry
(d) pride is all I have left
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
2. Who comes and sees the sculpture Michelangelo did?
3. What does Michelangelo recognize he must do to keep his father from taking him away?
4. Where is the Contessina sent as she nears marriageable age?
5. What does Michelangelo learn the city fathers have sent behind Piero de Medici's back?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)