|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
(a) his friends, the Tropolinos
(b) his friend, Francesco
(c) his father, Lodovico
(d) his patron, Lorenzo
2. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
(a) much praise and encouragement
(b) a special workplace
(c) much criticism of what he does
(d) new sculpting tools
3. What does Michelangelo learn the city fathers have sent behind Piero de Medici's back?
(a) letters to the Pope
(b) a request for mercenaries from Germany
(c) a warrant for Piero's arrest
(d) a delegation to Charles VIII
4. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) Michelangelo will change his mind
(b) connections to de Medici
(c) a new position in Milan
(d) his son's becoming famous
5. Who gets Michelangelo a short interview with Cardinal Riario?
(a) Andrea Bregno
(b) Leo Baglioni
(c) Jacopo Galli
(d) Giuliano da Sangallo
6. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
(a) helps him when his stepmother dies
(b) shows him where to buy marble
(c) introduces him to a diplomat
(d) teaches him more about architecture
7. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
(a) the Pope
(c) the appointed city leaders
8. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
(c) Il Magnifico
9. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
(a) they are evil and should be destroyed
(b) they are rich and should give to the poor
(c) they are his strong supporters
(d) they are holy and should be revered
10. What is Michelangelo expected to learn about?
(a) marble quarrying
(b) keeping a journal
(c) charging for his work
(d) dress, manners, life, and art
11. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
(b) small portraits
(c) still lifes
(d) practice canvases
12. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
(a) as though he were not there
(b) as if he knows nothing about art
(c) as a messenger boy
(d) as a boy to make the daily coffee
13. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) the Contessina
(b) Piero de Medici
(c) his father
(d) the church
14. who brings Michelangelo to Ghirlandaio?
(b) Lodovico Buonarroti
(c) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) Francesco Granacci
15. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
(a) stand up
(b) refuse Lorenzo de Medici
(c) believe his ears
(d) utter a word
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cardinal Riario di San Giorgio looking for?
2. Who comes and sees the sculpture Michelangelo did?
3. What is the first of Michelangelo's problems if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
4. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
5. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)