|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
(a) utter a word
(b) stand up
(c) believe his ears
(d) refuse Lorenzo de Medici
2. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) a new position in Milan
(b) his son's becoming famous
(c) Michelangelo will change his mind
(d) connections to de Medici
3. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
(a) the Vatican archives
(b) the library of the Order of Hermits of Santo Spiritu
(c) the Plato Academy
(d) the art school of Milan
4. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
(a) helps him when his stepmother dies
(b) shows him where to buy marble
(c) teaches him more about architecture
(d) introduces him to a diplomat
5. Who comes to Rome and is able to help clean out Michelangelo's new quarters?
(a) his friend Granacci
(b) his father Lodovico
(c) his brother Buonarroto
(d) his brother Lionardo
6. Who is Il Magnifico?
(a) the Doge of Milan
(b) Pope Julius II
(c) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) Domenico Ghirlandaio
7. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
(b) the Pope
(c) the appointed city leaders
8. Where is the Contessina sent as she nears marriageable age?
(a) to live in Rome
(b) to a convent
(c) to live with the Ridolfi
(d) to school in Milan
9. What does Michelangelo carve surreptitiously?
(a) a faun
(b) a lion
(c) a cat
(d) a face
10. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
(a) bring him back as a teacher of sculpture
(b) accept him back as an apprentice
(c) find him another patron
(d) sponsor him as a sculptor
11. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(b) Lodovico Buonarroti
(c) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) the Tropolinos
12. What does Michelangelo refuse to do for Piero de Medici?
(a) design jewelry for his wife
(b) carve a bust of his wife
(c) escort his wife
(d) paint a portrait of his wife
13. What does Michelangelo insist painting draped figures allows the artist to do?
(a) ignore the shape and features of the body
(b) have less trouble with textures
(c) work faster to finsh a painting
(d) put emphasis on color over form
14. Working all day and studying all night, what do people think Michelangelo is doing?
(a) running contraband goods
(b) looking for ways out of Florence
(c) getting drunk and living a wild life
(d) seeing a lover
15. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
(a) the kindness of strangers
(b) the value of personal ethics
(c) the effects of poverty
(d) the jealousy of others
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michelangelo's position in the home of Cardinal Riario?
2. If caught in his nighttime study of anatomy, what might the Church do to him?
3. How does Michelangelo set himself apart at the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio?
4. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
5. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)