|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes and sees the sculpture Michelangelo did?
(b) Contessina de Medici
2. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
(a) his father, Lodovico
(b) his patron, Lorenzo
(c) his friends, the Tropolinos
(d) his friend, Francesco
3. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
(a) the Pope
(c) the appointed city leaders
4. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
(a) several days of torture
(b) instructions form the Pope
(c) a debate in Florence
(d) the de Medici family
5. Why does Michelangelo arrange for loans?
(a) to buy a workshop
(b) to pay his father's debt
(c) to pay the Cardinal
(d) to send for his family
6. While working on the panels, what is Michelangelo dreaming about?
(a) making his name in the art world
(b) the sculpture garden
(c) opening his own studio
(d) finding models
7. Working all day and studying all night, what do people think Michelangelo is doing?
(a) looking for ways out of Florence
(b) running contraband goods
(c) getting drunk and living a wild life
(d) seeing a lover
8. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
(a) that it is his life
(b) that it is all he knows
(c) that it is holy
(d) that it is progressing
9. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
(a) the kindness of strangers
(b) the value of personal ethics
(c) the jealousy of others
(d) the effects of poverty
10. After the festival for his son, where does Piero de Medici invite Michelangelo?
(a) back to restore the Sculpture Garden
(b) on a trip to visit King Charles VIII of France
(c) on a trip to Bologna
(d) back into the de Medici home
11. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
(a) allow him to paint his own designs
(b) pay him a stipend to study there
(c) buy all of his art supplies
(d) give him a good recommendation
12. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
(a) as a boy to make the daily coffee
(b) as if he knows nothing about art
(c) as a messenger boy
(d) as though he were not there
13. What is Michelangelo worried about before going to the Medici school?
(a) how to tell his father
(b) how to dress
(c) at what hour to arrive
(d) where to get his supplies
14. After the death of Lorenzo de Medici, where does Michelangelo find himself?
(a) on the way to Portugal
(b) back at the Tropolino house
(c) back sharing a bed with his brother
(d) working in the marble quarry
15. What does Michelangelo's brother, Lionardo, believe his brother has become?
(a) absent minded and useless
(b) subservient and docile
(c) corrupted by power and money
(d) overly educated in the arts
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
2. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
3. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
4. What is the important commission from the Cardinal of San Dionigi that Michelangelo wants to bid on?
5. What elite group is Michelangelo invited to join?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)