|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
(a) Piero de Medici's gifts to the poor
(b) the lavish wedding of the contessa
(c) the wine crop failure in Tuscany
(d) Michelangelo's crucifix
2. What does Michelangelo believe that Ghirlandaio disagrees with?
(a) that humans should never be painted nude
(b) that painting is a waste of time
(c) that art is a useless occupation
(d) that sculpture is the greatest art form
3. Just as Michelangelo starts working for Galli, what do the creditors in Florence demand?
(a) Michelangelo return to Florence and work there
(b) all the money within one month
(c) letters of credit from Jacopo Galli
(d) part of the money within the week
4. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
(a) a debate in Florence
(b) instructions form the Pope
(c) several days of torture
(d) the de Medici family
5. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
(a) the marble
(b) a little money
(c) expenses back to florence
(d) a scholarship
6. Who wants to bring down the papacy and return Italy to the simple, stark, religious ways of his own beliefs?
(b) Leonardo da Vinci
(c) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) Lodovico Buonarroti
7. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
(a) still lifes
(b) small portraits
(c) practice canvases
8. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
(a) Bertoldo, the sculpture master
(b) Francesco Granacci
(c) Pietro Torrigiani
(d) Donato Donatello
9. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
(a) they are evil and should be destroyed
(b) they are rich and should give to the poor
(c) they are his strong supporters
(d) they are holy and should be revered
10. Where is the Contessina sent as she nears marriageable age?
(a) to live with the Ridolfi
(b) to live in Rome
(c) to a convent
(d) to school in Milan
11. How does Michelangelo set himself apart at the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio?
(a) with his talents and beliefs
(b) with his long hours of study
(c) with the poorness of his clothes
(d) with his anti-social behavior
12. Who gets Michelangelo a short interview with Cardinal Riario?
(a) Jacopo Galli
(b) Andrea Bregno
(c) Leo Baglioni
(d) Giuliano da Sangallo
13. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(a) the Tropolinos
(b) Lodovico Buonarroti
(c) Lorenzo de Medici
14. What does Michelangelo recognize he must do to keep his father from taking him away?
(a) start working in marble
(b) stay out of his father's sight
(c) earn some money
(d) bring home good reports
15. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
(a) a bed
(b) a snowman
(c) a set of small soldiers
(d) a cupid
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
2. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
3. who brings Michelangelo to Ghirlandaio?
4. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
5. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)