|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Venus
(b) a sculpture of a Bacchus
(c) a sculpture of Adonis
(d) a sculpture of Dyonisus
2. Just as Michelangelo starts working for Galli, what do the creditors in Florence demand?
(a) part of the money within the week
(b) letters of credit from Jacopo Galli
(c) Michelangelo return to Florence and work there
(d) all the money within one month
3. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
(a) continue Michaelangelo's stipend
(b) keep Michaelangelo as a student
(c) cater to the Medici family
(d) release his student
4. Who gets Michelangelo a short interview with Cardinal Riario?
(a) Jacopo Galli
(b) Andrea Bregno
(c) Giuliano da Sangallo
(d) Leo Baglioni
5. What is Michelangelo's position in the home of Cardinal Riario?
(a) the philosophy instructor
(b) the apprentice architect
(c) the Cardinals confidant
(d) one of the Cardinal's skilled workmen
6. Who comes to Rome and is able to help clean out Michelangelo's new quarters?
(a) his friend Granacci
(b) his brother Buonarroto
(c) his brother Lionardo
(d) his father Lodovico
7. Who operates the sculpture garden?
(b) da Vinci
8. What is the first of Michelangelo's problems if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) money to buy sculpting tools
(b) Ghirlandaio's attitude toward sculpture
(c) two years left as an apprentice for Ghirlandaio
(d) the attitude of his father
9. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
(a) much praise and encouragement
(b) new sculpting tools
(c) much criticism of what he does
(d) a special workplace
10. Who is the young Contessina de Medici that Michelangelo sees in the sculpture garden?
(a) the eldest daughter of Lorenzo
(b) the youngest daughter of Lorenzo
(c) the mother of Lorenzo
(d) the wife of Lorenzo
11. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(a) Lorenzo de Medici
(c) Lodovico Buonarroti
(d) the Tropolinos
12. What is Michelangelo worried about before going to the Medici school?
(a) at what hour to arrive
(b) how to dress
(c) where to get his supplies
(d) how to tell his father
13. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
(a) boys he finds playing on the streets
(b) his brothers who come down from Florence
(c) men in the Roman baths
(d) off duty guards at the Cardinal's palace
14. Who is Cardinal Riario di San Giorgio looking for?
(a) Charles VIII of France
(b) Signor Aldovrandi
(c) the sculptor Dell'Arca
(d) the man who had sculpted a cupid he owns
15. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) selling miniature sculptures
(b) looking for him
(c) working for the Pope
(d) befriending the Borgias
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michelangelo set himself apart at the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio?
2. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
3. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
4. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
5. Displeased with Piero de Medici, what are the people of Florence more inclined to listen to?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)