|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
(a) several days of torture
(b) the de Medici family
(c) a debate in Florence
(d) instructions form the Pope
2. Why does Michelangelo arrange for loans?
(a) to pay his father's debt
(b) to buy a workshop
(c) to send for his family
(d) to pay the Cardinal
3. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
(a) find him another patron
(b) accept him back as an apprentice
(c) sponsor him as a sculptor
(d) bring him back as a teacher of sculpture
4. How do Michelangelo and Granacci reckon Lodovico will not be harsh when he learns his son is going to de Medici?
(a) if his step mother is in the room
(b) if he hears the name de Medici
(c) if Michelangelo promises to give him his money
(d) if Granacci is present
5. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
(a) pride is all I have left
(b) I'm not proud, I'm hungry
(c) I still have some money in my pruse
(d) I have my name
6. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
(a) by bathing patients
(b) by watching surgeries
(c) by auditing classes
(d) by dissecting dead bodies
7. Besides working on his commission, what does Michelangelo enjoy in Galli's home?
(a) the finest food in Rome
(b) a good bed to sleep in
(c) freedom to find other commissions
(d) conversations with a learned man
8. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
(a) through inheritance
(b) through warfare
(c) through treaty
(d) through eminent domaine
9. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
(a) his father, Lodovico
(b) his friends, the Tropolinos
(c) his patron, Lorenzo
(d) his friend, Francesco
10. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) standing outside the school's gates, watching
(b) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
(c) waiting to see a de Medici coming
(d) putting out his paintings for sale
11. Who is Cardinal Riario di San Giorgio looking for?
(a) Signor Aldovrandi
(b) the sculptor Dell'Arca
(c) Charles VIII of France
(d) the man who had sculpted a cupid he owns
12. After a hard winter, where does Michelangelo's friend Granacci take him?
(a) to a sculpture garden
(b) to a museum
(c) to Venice
(d) to an art festival
13. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
(a) permission to attend the de Medici school
(b) money to live on
(c) the new equipment he will need
(d) new clothes fitting for the Medici palace
14. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) develop his own style in his own way
(b) stop playing and go to work
(c) learn how to copy him
(d) see how little talent he has
15. What is Michelangelo expected to learn about?
(a) keeping a journal
(b) marble quarrying
(c) dress, manners, life, and art
(d) charging for his work
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
2. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
3. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
4. Who comes to Rome and is able to help clean out Michelangelo's new quarters?
5. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)