|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo learn the city fathers have sent behind Piero de Medici's back?
(a) a request for mercenaries from Germany
(b) a warrant for Piero's arrest
(c) a delegation to Charles VIII
(d) letters to the Pope
2. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
(a) the jealousy of others
(b) the kindness of strangers
(c) the value of personal ethics
(d) the effects of poverty
3. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
(b) putting out his paintings for sale
(c) standing outside the school's gates, watching
(d) waiting to see a de Medici coming
4. Who helps Michelangelo find a place of his own?
(a) Jacopo Galli
(b) Giuliano da Sangallo
(c) Leo Baglioni
(d) Andrea Bregno
5. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
(a) contributors to society
(b) potentially wealthy men
(c) grand artists
(d) little more than being stonecutters
6. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
(a) his friends, the Tropolinos
(b) his father, Lodovico
(c) his patron, Lorenzo
(d) his friend, Francesco
7. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(a) Lodovico Buonarroti
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) the Tropolinos
8. Working all day and studying all night, what do people think Michelangelo is doing?
(a) seeing a lover
(b) getting drunk and living a wild life
(c) running contraband goods
(d) looking for ways out of Florence
9. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
(a) Il Magnifico
10. who brings Michelangelo to Ghirlandaio?
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(c) Francesco Granacci
(d) Lodovico Buonarroti
11. What does Michelangelo have after his meeting with the Cardinal?
(a) a letter of introduction to the Pope
(b) a new workshop to work in
(c) a seven-foot block of marble and no money
(d) a commission to carvea pieta
12. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) his son's becoming famous
(b) Michelangelo will change his mind
(c) a new position in Milan
(d) connections to de Medici
13. Who operates the sculpture garden?
(a) da Vinci
14. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
(a) his work must conceal his looks
(b) now he is handsome
(c) it makes him look eccentric
(d) it is something he cannot change
15. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
(a) the Pope
(c) the appointed city leaders
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michelangelo feel about painting frescoes?
2. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
3. Displeased with Piero de Medici, what are the people of Florence more inclined to listen to?
4. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
5. What does Savonarola preach about the de Medici family?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)