|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Cardinal Riario di San Giorgio looking for?
(a) the man who had sculpted a cupid he owns
(b) Charles VIII of France
(c) the sculptor Dell'Arca
(d) Signor Aldovrandi
2. What does Michelangelo refuse to do for Piero de Medici?
(a) carve a bust of his wife
(b) paint a portrait of his wife
(c) escort his wife
(d) design jewelry for his wife
3. What does Michelangelo learn the city fathers have sent behind Piero de Medici's back?
(a) a warrant for Piero's arrest
(b) letters to the Pope
(c) a delegation to Charles VIII
(d) a request for mercenaries from Germany
4. Who helps Michelangelo find a place of his own?
(a) Andrea Bregno
(b) Giuliano da Sangallo
(c) Jacopo Galli
(d) Leo Baglioni
5. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Venus
(b) a sculpture of a Bacchus
(c) a sculpture of Adonis
(d) a sculpture of Dyonisus
6. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) a new position in Milan
(b) Michelangelo will change his mind
(c) his son's becoming famous
(d) connections to de Medici
7. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
(a) that it is his life
(b) that it is all he knows
(c) that it is progressing
(d) that it is holy
8. What do the members of the elite academy discuss and learn about?
(a) art, history, and geography
(b) science, exploration, and evolution
(c) political, literary, music and philosophical ideas
(d) history, religion, and horticulture
9. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
(a) the Vatican archives
(b) the Plato Academy
(c) the art school of Milan
(d) the library of the Order of Hermits of Santo Spiritu
10. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
(a) a bed
(b) a set of small soldiers
(c) a snowman
(d) a cupid
11. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
(a) still lifes
(c) practice canvases
(d) small portraits
12. Besides working on his commission, what does Michelangelo enjoy in Galli's home?
(a) the finest food in Rome
(b) a good bed to sleep in
(c) conversations with a learned man
(d) freedom to find other commissions
13. Where is the thirteen-year-old Michelangelo taken in March of 1488?
(a) to the home of the Tropolinos
(b) to see the Pope in Rome
(c) the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio
(d) the Medici Palace
14. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
(a) to see how much better he is
(b) to learn from his own mistakes
(c) to learn how to keep files
(d) to find a patron
15. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) paint with close supervision
(b) work with two other apprentices
(c) bring in a nude model
(d) redesign the panel
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo have after his meeting with the Cardinal?
2. If caught in his nighttime study of anatomy, what might the Church do to him?
3. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
4. What does Michelangelo insist painting draped figures allows the artist to do?
5. Working all day and studying all night, what do people think Michelangelo is doing?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)