|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
(a) accept him back as an apprentice
(b) bring him back as a teacher of sculpture
(c) find him another patron
(d) sponsor him as a sculptor
2. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) develop his own style in his own way
(b) see how little talent he has
(c) learn how to copy him
(d) stop playing and go to work
3. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
(a) the Florentine guard
(b) the Plato Academy
(c) Ghirlandaio's school
(d) a merchant guild
4. Besides working on his commission, what does Michelangelo enjoy in Galli's home?
(a) freedom to find other commissions
(b) conversations with a learned man
(c) the finest food in Rome
(d) a good bed to sleep in
5. Who comes to Rome and is able to help clean out Michelangelo's new quarters?
(a) his friend Granacci
(b) his father Lodovico
(c) his brother Lionardo
(d) his brother Buonarroto
6. Where is the Contessina sent as she nears marriageable age?
(a) to live with the Ridolfi
(b) to live in Rome
(c) to a convent
(d) to school in Milan
7. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
(a) little more than being stonecutters
(b) grand artists
(c) potentially wealthy men
(d) contributors to society
8. What does Piero de Medici want Michelangelo to carve for the birthday of his son, Giuliano?
(a) a bed
(b) a snowman
(c) a set of small soldiers
(d) a cupid
9. What does Michelangelo refuse to do for Piero de Medici?
(a) carve a bust of his wife
(b) escort his wife
(c) paint a portrait of his wife
(d) design jewelry for his wife
10. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(a) the Tropolinos
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) Lodovico Buonarroti
11. What is Michelangelo expected to learn about?
(a) dress, manners, life, and art
(b) charging for his work
(c) marble quarrying
(d) keeping a journal
12. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
(a) the kindness of strangers
(b) the value of personal ethics
(c) the effects of poverty
(d) the jealousy of others
13. What are the people of Florence not happy about?
(a) Piero de Medici's gifts to the poor
(b) the lavish wedding of the contessa
(c) Michelangelo's crucifix
(d) the wine crop failure in Tuscany
14. Where is the thirteen-year-old Michelangelo taken in March of 1488?
(a) to the home of the Tropolinos
(b) to see the Pope in Rome
(c) the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio
(d) the Medici Palace
15. What is Michelangelo's position in the home of Cardinal Riario?
(a) the philosophy instructor
(b) the apprentice architect
(c) one of the Cardinal's skilled workmen
(d) the Cardinals confidant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
2. What is something Michelangelo learns from members of the academy?
3. What does Michelangelo recognize he must do to keep his father from taking him away?
4. What is one thing Michelangelo is thrilled that he can do?
5. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)