|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michelangelo arrange for loans?
(a) to pay the Cardinal
(b) to send for his family
(c) to buy a workshop
(d) to pay his father's debt
2. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) stop playing and go to work
(b) develop his own style in his own way
(c) see how little talent he has
(d) learn how to copy him
3. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
(a) believe his ears
(b) utter a word
(c) stand up
(d) refuse Lorenzo de Medici
4. Besides working on his commission, what does Michelangelo enjoy in Galli's home?
(a) the finest food in Rome
(b) conversations with a learned man
(c) freedom to find other commissions
(d) a good bed to sleep in
5. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
(a) that it is all he knows
(b) that it is his life
(c) that it is progressing
(d) that it is holy
6. What does Michelangelo's brother, Lionardo, believe his brother has become?
(a) subservient and docile
(b) absent minded and useless
(c) overly educated in the arts
(d) corrupted by power and money
7. With whom does Piero de Medici refuse to work?
(b) the appointed city leaders
(d) the Pope
8. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) speak French
(b) form ideas of his own
(c) work in three dimensions
(d) replicate Bertoldo's style
9. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) the church
(b) Piero de Medici
(c) the Contessina
(d) his father
10. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
(a) grand artists
(b) little more than being stonecutters
(c) potentially wealthy men
(d) contributors to society
11. What does Savonarola believe art is?
(a) blasphemous and ungodly
(b) a gift from God
(c) godly and uplifting
(d) neither good nor bad
12. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
(a) his brothers who come down from Florence
(b) boys he finds playing on the streets
(c) men in the Roman baths
(d) off duty guards at the Cardinal's palace
13. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
(a) sitting in a tree, looking over the wall
(b) putting out his paintings for sale
(c) waiting to see a de Medici coming
(d) standing outside the school's gates, watching
14. How is Pietro Torrigiani described?
(a) a well-built, handsome young man
(b) a plain and untalented boy
(c) a deformed genius
(d) a short, fat hanger on
15. Who is to go to the Medici school along with Michelangelo?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of Michelangelo's problems if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
2. Displeased with Piero de Medici, what are the people of Florence more inclined to listen to?
3. If caught in his nighttime study of anatomy, what might the Church do to him?
4. After a hard winter, where does Michelangelo's friend Granacci take him?
5. How do Michelangelo and Granacci reckon Lodovico will not be harsh when he learns his son is going to de Medici?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)