|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who operates the sculpture garden?
(d) da Vinci
2. What does Michelangelo's brother, Lionardo, believe his brother has become?
(a) overly educated in the arts
(b) absent minded and useless
(c) subservient and docile
(d) corrupted by power and money
3. What is Lodovico unable to do when Michelangelo is given the privilege of living in the de Medici household?
(a) stand up
(b) refuse Lorenzo de Medici
(c) believe his ears
(d) utter a word
4. Why does Michelangelo compare his work with files borrowed from Ghirlandaio?
(a) to find a patron
(b) to learn from his own mistakes
(c) to see how much better he is
(d) to learn how to keep files
5. What does Michelangelo insist painting draped figures allows the artist to do?
(a) ignore the shape and features of the body
(b) have less trouble with textures
(c) work faster to finsh a painting
(d) put emphasis on color over form
6. To whom does the sculpture garden belong?
(a) Lodovico Buonarroti
(c) the Tropolinos
(d) Lorenzo de Medici
7. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
(a) the de Medici family
(b) several days of torture
(c) instructions form the Pope
(d) a debate in Florence
8. What does Michelangelo have after his meeting with the Cardinal?
(a) a new workshop to work in
(b) a letter of introduction to the Pope
(c) a commission to carvea pieta
(d) a seven-foot block of marble and no money
9. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
(a) a little money
(b) a scholarship
(c) expenses back to florence
(d) the marble
10. Who wants to bring down the papacy and return Italy to the simple, stark, religious ways of his own beliefs?
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(c) Leonardo da Vinci
(d) Lodovico Buonarroti
11. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
(a) contributors to society
(b) little more than being stonecutters
(c) grand artists
(d) potentially wealthy men
12. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) learn how to copy him
(b) stop playing and go to work
(c) see how little talent he has
(d) develop his own style in his own way
13. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) replicate Bertoldo's style
(b) speak French
(c) work in three dimensions
(d) form ideas of his own
14. What do the members of the elite academy discuss and learn about?
(a) history, religion, and horticulture
(b) political, literary, music and philosophical ideas
(c) art, history, and geography
(d) science, exploration, and evolution
15. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
(a) breaks Michelangelo's tools
(b) breaks Michelangelo's sculpture
(c) breaks Michelangelo's nose
(d) breaks Michelangelo's arm
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
2. Who comes and sees the sculpture Michelangelo did?
3. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
4. What is Michelangelo's position in the home of Cardinal Riario?
5. What does Michelangelo believe that Ghirlandaio disagrees with?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)