|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michelangelo learn the city fathers have sent behind Piero de Medici's back?
(a) a warrant for Piero's arrest
(b) a delegation to Charles VIII
(c) letters to the Pope
(d) a request for mercenaries from Germany
2. Who comes to Rome and is able to help clean out Michelangelo's new quarters?
(a) his brother Lionardo
(b) his brother Buonarroto
(c) his friend Granacci
(d) his father Lodovico
3. What does Savonarola believe art is?
(a) neither good nor bad
(b) blasphemous and ungodly
(c) a gift from God
(d) godly and uplifting
4. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
(a) bring him back as a teacher of sculpture
(b) find him another patron
(c) accept him back as an apprentice
(d) sponsor him as a sculptor
5. Who comes and sees the sculpture Michelangelo did?
(c) Contessina de Medici
6. How is Pietro Torrigiani described?
(a) a deformed genius
(b) a short, fat hanger on
(c) a plain and untalented boy
(d) a well-built, handsome young man
7. What does Michelangelo discover his father believes about Lorenzo de Medici?
(a) he is a tyrant
(b) he is bankrupt
(c) he is a fool
(d) he is a saint
8. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) develop his own style in his own way
(b) stop playing and go to work
(c) learn how to copy him
(d) see how little talent he has
9. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) working for the Pope
(b) looking for him
(c) befriending the Borgias
(d) selling miniature sculptures
10. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
(a) a scholarship
(b) expenses back to florence
(c) the marble
(d) a little money
11. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) the Contessina
(b) his father
(c) the church
(d) Piero de Medici
12. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
(a) a piece of discarded marble
(b) a large lump of solidified plaster
(c) sandstone taken from the quarry
(d) the hardest available Tuscan walnut
13. How does Michelangelo set himself apart at the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio?
(a) with his anti-social behavior
(b) with his long hours of study
(c) with his talents and beliefs
(d) with the poorness of his clothes
14. Who is Il Magnifico?
(a) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(b) Pope Julius II
(c) the Doge of Milan
(d) Lorenzo de Medici
15. What does Michelangelo need before he can start carving the marble?
(a) an assistant to help him work
(b) specific permission from the Cardinal
(c) getting the marble moved to Rome
(d) a new set of carving tools
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
2. Where does Michelangelo go to study?
3. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
4. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
5. Who can Michelangelo not rely on to pay his apprentice fees?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)