|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first of Michelangelo's problems if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) the attitude of his father
(b) money to buy sculpting tools
(c) two years left as an apprentice for Ghirlandaio
(d) Ghirlandaio's attitude toward sculpture
2. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
(a) his work must conceal his looks
(b) it is something he cannot change
(c) now he is handsome
(d) it makes him look eccentric
3. How do Michelangelo and Granacci reckon Lodovico will not be harsh when he learns his son is going to de Medici?
(a) if his step mother is in the room
(b) if he hears the name de Medici
(c) if Michelangelo promises to give him his money
(d) if Granacci is present
4. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) Piero de Medici
(b) the church
(c) his father
(d) the Contessina
5. What does Lodovico think sculptors are?
(a) grand artists
(b) contributors to society
(c) little more than being stonecutters
(d) potentially wealthy men
6. Just as Michelangelo starts working for Galli, what do the creditors in Florence demand?
(a) part of the money within the week
(b) letters of credit from Jacopo Galli
(c) Michelangelo return to Florence and work there
(d) all the money within one month
7. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
(a) release his student
(b) keep Michaelangelo as a student
(c) continue Michaelangelo's stipend
(d) cater to the Medici family
8. What does Ghirlandaio want Michelangelo to do?
(a) stop playing and go to work
(b) see how little talent he has
(c) develop his own style in his own way
(d) learn how to copy him
9. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
(a) practice canvases
(c) small portraits
(d) still lifes
10. Why does Michelangelo arrange for loans?
(a) to pay the Cardinal
(b) to send for his family
(c) to pay his father's debt
(d) to buy a workshop
11. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
(a) the hardest available Tuscan walnut
(b) a large lump of solidified plaster
(c) sandstone taken from the quarry
(d) a piece of discarded marble
12. As a second problem, what must Michelangelo have if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
(a) an invitation from Bertoldo or one of the de Medicis
(b) previous art recognition
(c) knowledge of the basics of sculpture
(d) ten thousand florins
13. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
(a) bring him back as a teacher of sculpture
(b) find him another patron
(c) sponsor him as a sculptor
(d) accept him back as an apprentice
14. What does Savonarola believe art is?
(a) a gift from God
(b) neither good nor bad
(c) blasphemous and ungodly
(d) godly and uplifting
15. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
(a) new sculpting tools
(b) much criticism of what he does
(c) a special workplace
(d) much praise and encouragement
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the members of the elite academy discuss and learn about?
2. How does Michelangelo spend a lot of his free time near the sculpture garden?
3. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
4. Who operates the sculpture garden?
5. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)