|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants to bring down the papacy and return Italy to the simple, stark, religious ways of his own beliefs?
(a) Lodovico Buonarroti
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(d) Leonardo da Vinci
2. After one year, what is Michelangelo allowed to paint?
(a) small portraits
(c) practice canvases
(d) still lifes
3. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
(a) through eminent domaine
(b) through inheritance
(c) through warfare
(d) through treaty
4. What does Michelangelo learn the city fathers have sent behind Piero de Medici's back?
(a) letters to the Pope
(b) a delegation to Charles VIII
(c) a request for mercenaries from Germany
(d) a warrant for Piero's arrest
5. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Venus
(b) a sculpture of a Bacchus
(c) a sculpture of Dyonisus
(d) a sculpture of Adonis
6. How is Pietro Torrigiani described?
(a) a short, fat hanger on
(b) a plain and untalented boy
(c) a deformed genius
(d) a well-built, handsome young man
7. What does Michelangelo get Ghirlandaio to do for him?
(a) allow him to paint his own designs
(b) buy all of his art supplies
(c) pay him a stipend to study there
(d) give him a good recommendation
8. At the palace de Medici, with whom does Michelangelo share quarters?
(a) Francesco Granacci
(b) Bertoldo, the sculpture master
(c) Donato Donatello
(d) Pietro Torrigiani
9. Just as Michelangelo starts working for Galli, what do the creditors in Florence demand?
(a) all the money within one month
(b) Michelangelo return to Florence and work there
(c) letters of credit from Jacopo Galli
(d) part of the money within the week
10. In addition to Michelangelo's other problems, what happens to the Cardinal of San Dionigi?
(a) he is sent to be the Cardinal of Germany
(b) he dies before the pieta is finished
(c) he loses his mind and cannot remember Michelangelo
(d) he is excommunicated
11. How does Michelangelo learn anatomy at the charity hospital of Santo Spirito?
(a) by auditing classes
(b) by bathing patients
(c) by dissecting dead bodies
(d) by watching surgeries
12. What is Michelangelo expected to learn about?
(a) keeping a journal
(b) dress, manners, life, and art
(c) marble quarrying
(d) charging for his work
13. Who does Michelangelo use for models to perfect his knowledge of anatomy?
(a) off duty guards at the Cardinal's palace
(b) his brothers who come down from Florence
(c) boys he finds playing on the streets
(d) men in the Roman baths
14. What is Michelangelo allowed to do for his painting of a neophyte for the Baptism of John panel?
(a) paint with close supervision
(b) work with two other apprentices
(c) bring in a nude model
(d) redesign the panel
15. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
(b) Il Magnifico
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
2. How do Michelangelo and Granacci reckon Lodovico will not be harsh when he learns his son is going to de Medici?
3. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
4. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
5. After the death of Lorenzo de Medici, where does Michelangelo find himself?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)