|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Rome and is able to help clean out Michelangelo's new quarters?
(a) his friend Granacci
(b) his brother Buonarroto
(c) his father Lodovico
(d) his brother Lionardo
2. As Michelangelo progresses, what does he learn about life?
(a) the value of personal ethics
(b) the kindness of strangers
(c) the effects of poverty
(d) the jealousy of others
3. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
(a) helps him when his stepmother dies
(b) teaches him more about architecture
(c) shows him where to buy marble
(d) introduces him to a diplomat
4. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
(a) now he is handsome
(b) his work must conceal his looks
(c) it makes him look eccentric
(d) it is something he cannot change
5. Because he likes Michelangelo's cupid so well, what does Jacopo Galli commission him to sculpt?
(a) a sculpture of Venus
(b) a sculpture of Dyonisus
(c) a sculpture of Adonis
(d) a sculpture of a Bacchus
6. What does Michelangelo discover that he cannot do?
(a) form ideas of his own
(b) work in three dimensions
(c) replicate Bertoldo's style
(d) speak French
7. What causes Savonarola to agree that he is a heretic and then recant?
(a) a debate in Florence
(b) instructions form the Pope
(c) several days of torture
(d) the de Medici family
8. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
(a) release his student
(b) cater to the Medici family
(c) keep Michaelangelo as a student
(d) continue Michaelangelo's stipend
9. What does Michelangelo refuse to do for Piero de Medici?
(a) escort his wife
(b) carve a bust of his wife
(c) paint a portrait of his wife
(d) design jewelry for his wife
10. For his first year as an apprentice, how is Michelangelo treated?
(a) as a boy to make the daily coffee
(b) as if he knows nothing about art
(c) as though he were not there
(d) as a messenger boy
11. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
(a) new clothes fitting for the Medici palace
(b) permission to attend the de Medici school
(c) money to live on
(d) the new equipment he will need
12. Where does Lodovico want Michelangelo accepted?
(a) a merchant guild
(b) Ghirlandaio's school
(c) the Plato Academy
(d) the Florentine guard
13. Who is Il Magnifico?
(a) Domenico Ghirlandaio
(b) Lorenzo de Medici
(c) the Doge of Milan
(d) Pope Julius II
14. What is Michelangelo's response when his father tells him he cannot afford to have pride?
(a) I have my name
(b) pride is all I have left
(c) I still have some money in my pruse
(d) I'm not proud, I'm hungry
15. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
(a) that it is his life
(b) that it is holy
(c) that it is progressing
(d) that it is all he knows
Short Answer Questions
1. As a second problem, what must Michelangelo have if he wants to study under Bertoldo?
2. Who operates the sculpture garden?
3. How does Michelangelo feel about painting frescoes?
4. What does Torrigiani do to Michelangelo that causes him to flee the palace?
5. Who asks for two of Ghirlandaio's students to study at his new Medici school?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)