|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charles VIII of France want to claim the Kingdom of Naples?
(a) through treaty
(b) through eminent domaine
(c) through inheritance
(d) through warfare
2. What does Bertoldo, the sculptor master, give Michelangelo?
(a) a special workplace
(b) much criticism of what he does
(c) new sculpting tools
(d) much praise and encouragement
3. What is Michelangelo worried about before going to the Medici school?
(a) at what hour to arrive
(b) how to tell his father
(c) where to get his supplies
(d) how to dress
4. Who helps Michelangelo find a place of his own?
(a) Giuliano da Sangallo
(b) Leo Baglioni
(c) Andrea Bregno
(d) Jacopo Galli
5. How does Michelangelo set himself apart at the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio?
(a) with his anti-social behavior
(b) with his talents and beliefs
(c) with the poorness of his clothes
(d) with his long hours of study
6. While working on the panels, what is Michelangelo dreaming about?
(a) finding models
(b) the sculpture garden
(c) making his name in the art world
(d) opening his own studio
7. What does Michelangelo learn his old nemesis, Torrigiani, is doing in Rome?
(a) selling miniature sculptures
(b) looking for him
(c) befriending the Borgias
(d) working for the Pope
8. Eventually, what does Lodovico hope for that will help his family?
(a) his son's becoming famous
(b) a new position in Milan
(c) connections to de Medici
(d) Michelangelo will change his mind
9. For whom does Michelangelo offer to carve something?
(a) Piero de Medici
(b) the Contessina
(c) his father
(d) the church
10. Instead of a commission, what does Cardinal Riario give Michelangelo?
(a) the marble
(b) a scholarship
(c) expenses back to florence
(d) a little money
11. What is Michelangelo's conclusion about his looks after the broken nose?
(a) it is something he cannot change
(b) his work must conceal his looks
(c) it makes him look eccentric
(d) now he is handsome
12. What does Giuliano da Sangallo do for Michelangelo?
(a) teaches him more about architecture
(b) helps him when his stepmother dies
(c) introduces him to a diplomat
(d) shows him where to buy marble
13. What does Michelangelo insist painting draped figures allows the artist to do?
(a) ignore the shape and features of the body
(b) have less trouble with textures
(c) put emphasis on color over form
(d) work faster to finsh a painting
14. What does Michelangelo tell his brother about his art?
(a) that it is holy
(b) that it is all he knows
(c) that it is progressing
(d) that it is his life
15. What does Granacci tell Michelangelo that Ghirlandaio is willing to do?
(a) sponsor him as a sculptor
(b) accept him back as an apprentice
(c) bring him back as a teacher of sculpture
(d) find him another patron
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michelangelo carve surreptitiously?
2. What is Ghirlandaio reluctant to do?
3. What raw material does Michelangelo use to carve a crucifix?
4. What is one thing Michelangelo is thrilled that he can do?
5. What does Lodovico initially refuse to give his son?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)