* The novel begins with introduction of characters and setting in Florence, Italy, in the 15th century.
* The central character is 13-year-old Michelangelo Buonarroti with a single minded love of art in general, sculpture in particular.
* Michelangelo is accepted into the Guild Hall of Signor Ghirlandaio who will pay him a small stipend which overcomes his father's objection.
* Michelangelo and Ghirlandaio have different philosophies about art yet the older man recognizes budding genius in the young student.
* Michelangelo is treated as though he knows nothing about art and given boring tasks like preparing paints and surfaces.
* On his own time, he borrows (without Ghirlandaio's knowledge) his teacher's files and copies drawings to learn his own mistakes.
* Later he learns that Ghirlandaio knew of his activities all along but wanted to allow him to develop his own style.
* Michelangelo starts painting frescoes which he considers to be lifeless...
This section contains 2,614 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)