|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ada introduce her husband to Van?
2. What department does Van study in at Kingston University, Mayne, in the Fall of 1892?
3. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of Van's books?
4. What is Van's earliest memory?
5. Who is Mr. Gromwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ada telephones Van, what does she tell him?
2. What does Ada's letter say she will do if Van doesn't allow her to come live with him?
3. How does Van characterize to Greg his relationship with Ada?
4. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
5. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
6. How does Van gain the post of Rattner Chair of Philosophy at University of Kingston?
7. What is Cordula's conversation like?
8. What does Van plan to do in the duel?
9. How does Demon discover that Van is living with Ada?
10. What does Lucette say about Ada's hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Van has a privileged life. Discuss privilege in the novel.
1) What freedoms does Van's wealth and status allow him? How would his life be different if he weren't wealthy?
2) How is it significant that Van has an independent inheritance from Aqua and is not dependent on Demon for money?
3) What is Van's perception of his position of privilege, and how does this perception change throughout his life, from youth to old age?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss vanity in the novel.
1) Van is described in the novel as vain. Does Van love himself more than any other? Is he proud? What characterizes his vanity?
2) Is Van's vanity an essential element of his attraction to Ada? Is he attracted to her because of her similarities to himself?
3) What role does Van's vanity play in his career? How does it relate to his acrobatic show? How does it relate to his psychological/philosophical books?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the mental and physical worlds in the novel.
1) How does the mental world of Van's intellectual investigations and books relate to the physical world around him?
2) How does Van's mental relationship with Ada relate to their physical relationship?
3) How does the balance of mind and body, mental and physical change over time, as Van ages?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)