Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many copies of Van's book are sold in the first year?
2. What word does Greg seem to like to use?
3. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
4. What is Van's purpose in writing his book about time?
5. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
Essay Topic 1
The novel follows Van and Ada from their youth through their old age. Discuss aging in the novel.
1) How does Van change throughout his life? Are his physical changes separable from his mental and emotional changes?
2) How do the characters' values and priorities change over time? What is important to them in their youth and as they grow older?
3) How do the characters' perceptions of the world around them and of their own relationship change as they age?
4) What meaning does the approach of death have for Van and Ada?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Terra and Antiterra in the novel.
1) Why does the author set the novel in an alternative reality, an "Antiterra"? What role does the imaginary planet, a mirror of our "real" world, play in the novel?
2) How do the characters envision Terra? What do their perceptions of Terra show about the characters themselves?
3) How do Terra and Antiterra differ? Compare the two worlds of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) What role does each of the five parts of the novel play? How does each represent a specific period in the relationship of Ada and Van, and how are those periods different from each other?
2) Why is the first book the longest? Why is the fourth book a single chapter?
3) In what ways is the structure chronological? How and why does it break out of chronological order?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)