|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Van invite Lucette to do?
2. How did Ada feel about acting tips from Marina?
3. What is Van doing while he stays at Cordula's?
4. What phrase does Ana use repetitively throughout her first communication with Van?
5. What does Van see in Lucette's handbag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
2. What does Van propose about the future in his treatise on time?
3. What does Ada's letter say she will do if Van doesn't allow her to come live with him?
4. What does Lucette say about Ada's hands?
5. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
6. What plan does Lucette propose to Van?
7. How does Van respond to Ada's arrival?
8. Why does Van think he is sterile?
9. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
10. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss madness in the novel.
1) What is Aqua's madness in the novel? Why does she go from sanitarium to sanitarium, and why does she kill herself?
2) What types of madness do Van's patients display? Why do mad patients see visions of Terra in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of Ardis Hall in the novel.
1) What meanings and associations does Ardis Hall have for Van and Ada?
2) Why does Van never go back and live at Ardis Hall when he is older? Why does Lucette suggest they go to Ardis Hall?
3) By the end of the novel, Ardis Hall mainly exists in memory for the main characters. How is the memory different from the reality?
Essay Topic 3
The central story of the novel is focused on the incestuous relationship between Ada and Van. Discuss incest in the novel.
1) What are Van and Ada's attitudes toward incest? The implication is that even as children, they know they are brother and sister. Do they hide this knowledge from themselves? Do they accept it?
2) Why do Ada and Van change their mind about living together when Demon finds out? Are their self-perceptions changed by Demon's admission of their relationship as siblings? Are their actions driven by Demon's open knowledge of the secret? What are the societal attitudes involved?
3) Why does Van tell Lucette he doesn't want another incestuous relationship with her? What is different about a relationship with Lucette, as opposed to any other unrelated woman?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)