|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the newspaper Van's father is reading at the airport say?
2. How many copies of Van's book are sold in the first year?
3. How long does Van tell Demon his affair with Ada has been going on?
4. Who does Van have read and forward his letter to Ada about Lucette's death?
5. What did the artillery officer played by Kim Eskimossoff do for comic effect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
2. Why does Van need to go back for more surgery?
3. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
4. What does Van plan to do in the duel?
5. How does Van respond to Ada's arrival?
6. How does Demon discover that Van is living with Ada?
7. What plan does Lucette propose to Van?
8. Why does Van think he is sterile?
9. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
10. What does Van say is as common in dreams as metaphors are in poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's portrayal of men and women.
1) How are men and women's experience of sexuality different in the novel? How are they treated differently by society?
2) What does success mean for men and women in the novel? How is it different because of gender?
3) What are men and women's intellectual pursuits in the novel? How are they different because of gender?
Essay Topic 2
As Van's memoir, the novel deals with memory. It also deals with memory through Van's discussion of time and its meaning. Discuss time and memory in the novel.
1) How is the story of Van and Ada's childhood changed by memory? What significance is there to the fact that the children's diaries were destroyed, forcing them to recreate the events from memory?
2) What role does memory plan in Van and Ada's feelings about each other why they are separated?
3) How does time affect the characters? How does Van's discussion of time relate to the characters' experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)