Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many copies of Van's book are sold in the first year?
2. What word does Greg seem to like to use?
3. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
4. What is Van's purpose in writing his book about time?
5. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
Essay Topic 1
As Van's memoir, the novel deals with memory. It also deals with memory through Van's discussion of time and its meaning. Discuss time and memory in the novel.
1) How is the story of Van and Ada's childhood changed by memory? What significance is there to the fact that the children's diaries were destroyed, forcing them to recreate the events from memory?
2) What role does memory plan in Van and Ada's feelings about each other why they are separated?
3) How does time affect the characters? How does Van's discussion of time relate to the characters' experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of Ardis Hall in the novel.
1) What meanings and associations does Ardis Hall have for Van and Ada?
2) Why does Van never go back and live at Ardis Hall when he is older? Why does Lucette suggest they go to Ardis Hall?
3) By the end of the novel, Ardis Hall mainly exists in memory for the main characters. How is the memory different from the reality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)