|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
2. Who does Van have read and forward his letter to Ada about Lucette's death?
3. Where does Van keep Ada's communications for fifty years?
4. Who quips to Veen that he doesn't really need two women?
5. How did Ada feel about acting tips from Marina?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the mental and physical worlds in the novel.
1) How does the mental world of Van's intellectual investigations and books relate to the physical world around him?
2) How does Van's mental relationship with Ada relate to their physical relationship?
3) How does the balance of mind and body, mental and physical change over time, as Van ages?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of Ardis Hall in the novel.
1) What meanings and associations does Ardis Hall have for Van and Ada?
2) Why does Van never go back and live at Ardis Hall when he is older? Why does Lucette suggest they go to Ardis Hall?
3) By the end of the novel, Ardis Hall mainly exists in memory for the main characters. How is the memory different from the reality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss sexuality in the novel.
1) How and why is sexuality related to youth in the novel? How does sexuality change with age?
2) How does sexuality relate to love and affection in the novel? What do the characters expect from sex, and what does sex actually provide?
3) What role does sexual decadence, especially represented by the Villa Venus brothels, play in the novel?
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)