|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sense does Van relate to time?
2. What has Van developed a test for?
3. What example does Van use in discussing order or succession in our perception of the past?
4. Who does Van see on the train?
5. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
2. How did Percy de Prey die?
3. Why does Van need to go back for more surgery?
4. In Marina's last days, why is Van planning a trip to America?
5. What does Van do after leaving Demon?
6. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
7. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
8. How does Van respond to Ada's arrival?
9. What excuse does Van make up to have time alone with Ada?
10. What is Cordula's conversation like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of Ardis Hall in the novel.
1) What meanings and associations does Ardis Hall have for Van and Ada?
2) Why does Van never go back and live at Ardis Hall when he is older? Why does Lucette suggest they go to Ardis Hall?
3) By the end of the novel, Ardis Hall mainly exists in memory for the main characters. How is the memory different from the reality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Lucette and Ada's characters in the novel.
1) What role does the age difference between Lucette and Ada play in their similarities and differences?
2) How doe Van love Lucette? How is this different from the way he loves Ada? Why?
3) What are Lucette and Ada's feelings for each other? What does this show about their personalities, values, and beliefs?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)