Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many copies of Van's book are sold in the first year?
2. What word does Greg seem to like to use?
3. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
4. What is Van's purpose in writing his book about time?
5. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
Essay Topic 1
The novel follows Van and Ada from their youth through their old age. Discuss aging in the novel.
1) How does Van change throughout his life? Are his physical changes separable from his mental and emotional changes?
2) How do the characters' values and priorities change over time? What is important to them in their youth and as they grow older?
3) How do the characters' perceptions of the world around them and of their own relationship change as they age?
4) What meaning does the approach of death have for Van and Ada?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
Essay Topic 3
As Van's memoir, the novel deals with memory. It also deals with memory through Van's discussion of time and its meaning. Discuss time and memory in the novel.
1) How is the story of Van and Ada's childhood changed by memory? What significance is there to the fact that the children's diaries were destroyed, forcing them to recreate the events from memory?
2) What role does memory plan in Van and Ada's feelings about each other why they are separated?
3) How does time affect the characters? How does Van's discussion of time relate to the characters' experiences?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)