|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Ada allow Van to send his apologetic letter to Lucette?
2. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
3. Who quips to Veen that he doesn't really need two women?
4. Who does the woman on the boat mistake Van for?
5. Who is Mr. Gromwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van do after leaving Demon?
2. When Ada telephones Van, what does she tell him?
3. What does Lucette say about Ada's hands?
4. What is Van's opinion of acting?
5. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
6. What does Van plan to do in the duel?
7. Why does Van think he is sterile?
8. What exercise in memory does Van attempt, which he also gives to his patients?
9. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
10. How does Demon discover that Van is living with Ada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Van has a privileged life. Discuss privilege in the novel.
1) What freedoms does Van's wealth and status allow him? How would his life be different if he weren't wealthy?
2) How is it significant that Van has an independent inheritance from Aqua and is not dependent on Demon for money?
3) What is Van's perception of his position of privilege, and how does this perception change throughout his life, from youth to old age?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lucette and Ada's characters in the novel.
1) What role does the age difference between Lucette and Ada play in their similarities and differences?
2) How doe Van love Lucette? How is this different from the way he loves Ada? Why?
3) What are Lucette and Ada's feelings for each other? What does this show about their personalities, values, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss madness in the novel.
1) What is Aqua's madness in the novel? Why does she go from sanitarium to sanitarium, and why does she kill herself?
2) What types of madness do Van's patients display? Why do mad patients see visions of Terra in the novel?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)