|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
2. Who quips to Veen that he doesn't really need two women?
3. What does Van tell Lucette when she calls to ask to come to his room?
4. What does Van not bother to put on before heading out to meet Ada?
5. Why does Demon not want to turn Van over to the authorities for incest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
2. How does Van gain the post of Rattner Chair of Philosophy at University of Kingston?
3. What exercise in memory does Van attempt, which he also gives to his patients?
4. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
5. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
6. What is Cordula's conversation like?
7. Why does Van think he is sterile?
8. What does Cordula tell Van about Vanda Broom?
9. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
10. What does Van say is as common in dreams as metaphors are in poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is filled with reflections of reality through art, such as films and photographs. Discuss these elements of the novel.
1) How do reflections of reality in the novel, like photographs or films, differ from reality itself? How do they create reality through memory?
2) What significance is there to Marina and later Ada's careers as actresses? How does the mimicking of reality in acting affect the characters?
3) How does the governess's screenplay reflect reality at Ardis Hall? How is it modified and changed in the process of production? What does this process of change show about imitations of reality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) What role does each of the five parts of the novel play? How does each represent a specific period in the relationship of Ada and Van, and how are those periods different from each other?
2) Why is the first book the longest? Why is the fourth book a single chapter?
3) In what ways is the structure chronological? How and why does it break out of chronological order?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Lucette and Ada's characters in the novel.
1) What role does the age difference between Lucette and Ada play in their similarities and differences?
2) How doe Van love Lucette? How is this different from the way he loves Ada? Why?
3) What are Lucette and Ada's feelings for each other? What does this show about their personalities, values, and beliefs?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)