|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
2. Who is visiting Villa Venus, causing it to be overrun with police?
3. How does the blind Spencer Muldoon describe colors?
4. What part does Ada play in the film "The Young and the Doomed"?
5. What does Van insist on doing to avoid going to bed the first night on the cruise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
2. What is Van's opinion of acting?
3. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
4. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
5. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
6. What does Van plan to do in the duel?
7. What excuse does Van make up to have time alone with Ada?
8. What does Lucette say about Ada's hands?
9. When Ada telephones Van, what does she tell him?
10. What exercise in memory does Van attempt, which he also gives to his patients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss vanity in the novel.
1) Van is described in the novel as vain. Does Van love himself more than any other? Is he proud? What characterizes his vanity?
2) Is Van's vanity an essential element of his attraction to Ada? Is he attracted to her because of her similarities to himself?
3) What role does Van's vanity play in his career? How does it relate to his acrobatic show? How does it relate to his psychological/philosophical books?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss sexuality in the novel.
1) How and why is sexuality related to youth in the novel? How does sexuality change with age?
2) How does sexuality relate to love and affection in the novel? What do the characters expect from sex, and what does sex actually provide?
3) What role does sexual decadence, especially represented by the Villa Venus brothels, play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The novel follows Van and Ada from their youth through their old age. Discuss aging in the novel.
1) How does Van change throughout his life? Are his physical changes separable from his mental and emotional changes?
2) How do the characters' values and priorities change over time? What is important to them in their youth and as they grow older?
3) How do the characters' perceptions of the world around them and of their own relationship change as they age?
4) What meaning does the approach of death have for Van and Ada?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)