|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Van have while he tries to walk on his hands?
2. What has Van developed a test for?
3. What does Van invite Lucette to do?
4. Why have the Robinsons given Lucette some medicine?
5. What does Van tell Lucette when she calls to ask to come to his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van write about in his unsent letter to Ada?
2. What does Van do after leaving Demon?
3. How does Van gain the post of Rattner Chair of Philosophy at University of Kingston?
4. What excuse does Van make up to have time alone with Ada?
5. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
6. How does Van characterize to Greg his relationship with Ada?
7. When Ada telephones Van, what does she tell him?
8. What exercise in memory does Van attempt, which he also gives to his patients?
9. What is Cordula's conversation like?
10. What does Ada's letter say she will do if Van doesn't allow her to come live with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's portrayal of men and women.
1) How are men and women's experience of sexuality different in the novel? How are they treated differently by society?
2) What does success mean for men and women in the novel? How is it different because of gender?
3) What are men and women's intellectual pursuits in the novel? How are they different because of gender?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Terra and Antiterra in the novel.
1) Why does the author set the novel in an alternative reality, an "Antiterra"? What role does the imaginary planet, a mirror of our "real" world, play in the novel?
2) How do the characters envision Terra? What do their perceptions of Terra show about the characters themselves?
3) How do Terra and Antiterra differ? Compare the two worlds of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)