|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Ana use repetitively throughout her first communication with Van?
2. Where does Demon say that Lucette was, when he let her know about Dan's death?
3. How does Demon die?
4. In the central photograph on a page of small images, what is the only part of Ada that's visible?
5. What example does Van use in discussing order or succession in our perception of the past?
Essay Topic 1
Van has a privileged life. Discuss privilege in the novel.
1) What freedoms does Van's wealth and status allow him? How would his life be different if he weren't wealthy?
2) How is it significant that Van has an independent inheritance from Aqua and is not dependent on Demon for money?
3) What is Van's perception of his position of privilege, and how does this perception change throughout his life, from youth to old age?
Essay Topic 2
Van and Ada part bitterly after 1888 because of jealousy, and jealousy plays an important role in their relationship. Discuss jealousy in the novel.
1) Why is Van so jealous of Ada's other sexual relationships, when he is also sexually active without her? How is Ada jealous of Van?
2) How is Lucette jealous of Ada? How does her jealousy affect and define her relationships with Van and with Ada?
3) What other jealousies exist in the novel? How do the different characters respond to and think of jealousy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)