|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
2. What is the "eremitic reality or collective dream" Van discusses in his dissertation called?
3. What does Dack run through the house with?
4. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
5. Who walks in on Ada and Van making love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
2. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
3. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
4. Where and in what circumstances do Van and Ada first have sex?
5. In Marina's last days, why is Van planning a trip to America?
6. How does Van gain the post of Rattner Chair of Philosophy at University of Kingston?
7. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
8. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
9. Describe the encounter between Blanche and Van.
10. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
Essay Topic 1
The central story of the novel is focused on the incestuous relationship between Ada and Van. Discuss incest in the novel.
1) What are Van and Ada's attitudes toward incest? The implication is that even as children, they know they are brother and sister. Do they hide this knowledge from themselves? Do they accept it?
2) Why do Ada and Van change their mind about living together when Demon finds out? Are their self-perceptions changed by Demon's admission of their relationship as siblings? Are their actions driven by Demon's open knowledge of the secret? What are the societal attitudes involved?
3) Why does Van tell Lucette he doesn't want another incestuous relationship with her? What is different about a relationship with Lucette, as opposed to any other unrelated woman?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss siblings, cousins, and their relationships in the novel.
1) What are the relationships between Marina and Aqua? How are they similar to each other? How does Aqua serve as a substitute for Marina? How does this compare to the relationship between Demon and Dan?
2) Discuss the relationship between Lucette and Ada? How are they similar and different, and what does their relationship as sisters have to do with their similarities? How does Lucette serve as a substitute for Ada?
3) Discuss the relationship between Ada and Van as brother and sister. How does their relationship as siblings change their associations? What similarities does it create between them?
Essay Topic 3
Van and Ada part bitterly after 1888 because of jealousy, and jealousy plays an important role in their relationship. Discuss jealousy in the novel.
1) Why is Van so jealous of Ada's other sexual relationships, when he is also sexually active without her? How is Ada jealous of Van?
2) How is Lucette jealous of Ada? How does her jealousy affect and define her relationships with Van and with Ada?
3) What other jealousies exist in the novel? How do the different characters respond to and think of jealousy?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)