|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
2. What game did Van win in a match against Pat Rishin at Chose in 1887?
3. What color are Ada's eyes?
4. Why does Phillip Rack come upstairs, interrupting Ada and Van?
5. When Van takes a walk after first arriving at Ardis Hall, who does he run into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van first see Ada?
2. What are the circumstances of Marina's first romantic liaison with Demon?
3. What bad habit does Ana stop on her twelfth birthday?
4. What does Marina chastise Van for, after calling him into her room?
5. How doe Van describe Ada's way of talking when explaining something funny?
6. What becomes of Ada's old governess?
7. What happens in Van's stage act?
8. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
9. What do Demon think of Marina's career as an actress?
10. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Lucette and Ada's characters in the novel.
1) What role does the age difference between Lucette and Ada play in their similarities and differences?
2) How doe Van love Lucette? How is this different from the way he loves Ada? Why?
3) What are Lucette and Ada's feelings for each other? What does this show about their personalities, values, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
Essay Topic 3
The central story of the novel is focused on the incestuous relationship between Ada and Van. Discuss incest in the novel.
1) What are Van and Ada's attitudes toward incest? The implication is that even as children, they know they are brother and sister. Do they hide this knowledge from themselves? Do they accept it?
2) Why do Ada and Van change their mind about living together when Demon finds out? Are their self-perceptions changed by Demon's admission of their relationship as siblings? Are their actions driven by Demon's open knowledge of the secret? What are the societal attitudes involved?
3) Why does Van tell Lucette he doesn't want another incestuous relationship with her? What is different about a relationship with Lucette, as opposed to any other unrelated woman?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)