|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Van returns from washing his hands, where does he find Ada?
2. What happens to the weather during Demon's dinner with Marina, Van, and Ada?
3. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
4. What is the Andalusian architect Alonso supposed to design?
5. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
2. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
3. How doe Van describe Ada's way of talking when explaining something funny?
4. What bad habit does Ana stop on her twelfth birthday?
5. Where and in what circumstances do Van and Ada first have sex?
6. What reason does Van give Marina for leaving?
7. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
8. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
9. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
10. How does Dick cheat at cards, and how does Van best him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Van and Ada part bitterly after 1888 because of jealousy, and jealousy plays an important role in their relationship. Discuss jealousy in the novel.
1) Why is Van so jealous of Ada's other sexual relationships, when he is also sexually active without her? How is Ada jealous of Van?
2) How is Lucette jealous of Ada? How does her jealousy affect and define her relationships with Van and with Ada?
3) What other jealousies exist in the novel? How do the different characters respond to and think of jealousy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's portrayal of men and women.
1) How are men and women's experience of sexuality different in the novel? How are they treated differently by society?
2) What does success mean for men and women in the novel? How is it different because of gender?
3) What are men and women's intellectual pursuits in the novel? How are they different because of gender?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)