|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Van talk to Ada before he leaves?
2. What board game is "Flavita" a Russian version of?
3. At sixteen, who does Ada say she's older than?
4. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
5. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van feel about Cordula?
2. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
3. How does Van first see Ada?
4. Where and in what circumstances do Van and Ada first have sex?
5. How does Dick cheat at cards, and how does Van best him?
6. What happens in Van's stage act?
7. What bad habit does Ana stop on her twelfth birthday?
8. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
9. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
10. How does Aqua kill herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss sexuality in the novel.
1) How and why is sexuality related to youth in the novel? How does sexuality change with age?
2) How does sexuality relate to love and affection in the novel? What do the characters expect from sex, and what does sex actually provide?
3) What role does sexual decadence, especially represented by the Villa Venus brothels, play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The novel follows Van and Ada from their youth through their old age. Discuss aging in the novel.
1) How does Van change throughout his life? Are his physical changes separable from his mental and emotional changes?
2) How do the characters' values and priorities change over time? What is important to them in their youth and as they grow older?
3) How do the characters' perceptions of the world around them and of their own relationship change as they age?
4) What meaning does the approach of death have for Van and Ada?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss madness in the novel.
1) What is Aqua's madness in the novel? Why does she go from sanitarium to sanitarium, and why does she kill herself?
2) What types of madness do Van's patients display? Why do mad patients see visions of Terra in the novel?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)