|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mr. Plunkett exposed at cheating at cards?
2. What causes both Van and Ada to rush back to the house?
3. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
4. What color are Ada's eyes?
5. What doctor does Ada go to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first trick Ada and Van use to escape from Lucette?
2. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
3. How does young Van feel about Ada?
4. What becomes of Ada's old governess?
5. What reason does Van give Marina for leaving?
6. What does Van do, when Ada suggests he spank Lucette?
7. How does Van feel about Marina?
8. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
9. What happens in Van's stage act?
10. What are the circumstances of Marina's first romantic liaison with Demon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss sexuality in the novel.
1) How and why is sexuality related to youth in the novel? How does sexuality change with age?
2) How does sexuality relate to love and affection in the novel? What do the characters expect from sex, and what does sex actually provide?
3) What role does sexual decadence, especially represented by the Villa Venus brothels, play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel's portrayal of men and women.
1) How are men and women's experience of sexuality different in the novel? How are they treated differently by society?
2) What does success mean for men and women in the novel? How is it different because of gender?
3) What are men and women's intellectual pursuits in the novel? How are they different because of gender?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of Ardis Hall in the novel.
1) What meanings and associations does Ardis Hall have for Van and Ada?
2) Why does Van never go back and live at Ardis Hall when he is older? Why does Lucette suggest they go to Ardis Hall?
3) By the end of the novel, Ardis Hall mainly exists in memory for the main characters. How is the memory different from the reality?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)