|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What garment of clothing does Van chide Ada for not wearing?
2. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
3. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
4. At sixteen, who does Ada say she's older than?
5. Where was Van born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van feel about Cordula?
2. What did Ada do when Dr. Krolik died?
3. What is the first trick Ada and Van use to escape from Lucette?
4. What are the circumstances of Marina's first romantic liaison with Demon?
5. How does Dick cheat at cards, and how does Van best him?
6. Describe the encounter between Blanche and Van.
7. What does Marina chastise Van for, after calling him into her room?
8. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
9. What bad habit does Ana stop on her twelfth birthday?
10. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) What role does each of the five parts of the novel play? How does each represent a specific period in the relationship of Ada and Van, and how are those periods different from each other?
2) Why is the first book the longest? Why is the fourth book a single chapter?
3) In what ways is the structure chronological? How and why does it break out of chronological order?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is filled with reflections of reality through art, such as films and photographs. Discuss these elements of the novel.
1) How do reflections of reality in the novel, like photographs or films, differ from reality itself? How do they create reality through memory?
2) What significance is there to Marina and later Ada's careers as actresses? How does the mimicking of reality in acting affect the characters?
3) How does the governess's screenplay reflect reality at Ardis Hall? How is it modified and changed in the process of production? What does this process of change show about imitations of reality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss madness in the novel.
1) What is Aqua's madness in the novel? Why does she go from sanitarium to sanitarium, and why does she kill herself?
2) What types of madness do Van's patients display? Why do mad patients see visions of Terra in the novel?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)