|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following authors do Van and Ada like?
2. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
3. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
4. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
5. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Van give Marina for leaving?
2. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
3. How does Van feel about Marina?
4. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
5. What did Ada do when Dr. Krolik died?
6. What are the circumstances of Marina's first romantic liaison with Demon?
7. How does young Van feel about Ada?
8. What causes Lucette to follow Ada and Van around in Chapter 34?
9. How doe Van describe Ada's way of talking when explaining something funny?
10. What is the first trick Ada and Van use to escape from Lucette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's portrayal of men and women.
1) How are men and women's experience of sexuality different in the novel? How are they treated differently by society?
2) What does success mean for men and women in the novel? How is it different because of gender?
3) What are men and women's intellectual pursuits in the novel? How are they different because of gender?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lucette and Ada's characters in the novel.
1) What role does the age difference between Lucette and Ada play in their similarities and differences?
2) How doe Van love Lucette? How is this different from the way he loves Ada? Why?
3) What are Lucette and Ada's feelings for each other? What does this show about their personalities, values, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov is known for wordplay, and part of this is using significant names or manipulating names. Discuss the names of characters and places in the novel.
1) What meanings are put onto the characters' names by their association with other words? For example, what do Demon, Aqua, and Marina's names mean? What meanings are put on "Ada" and "Van"?
2) Discuss the name of Ardis Hall and what meanings and associations it has in the novel.
3) How do characters' names change in different contexts? What do these name changes signify?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)