|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meaning does Marina put on Ada's black jumper and black skirt?
2. What contact with Ada excites Van?
3. When Van meets Ada in the forest fork, what is she wearing?
4. Who walks in on Ada and Van making love?
5. What color does Demon dye his hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van do, when Ada suggests he spank Lucette?
2. How does young Van feel about Ada?
3. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
4. How does Van feel about Cordula?
5. What did Ada do when Dr. Krolik died?
6. How does Aqua kill herself?
7. What is the first trick Ada and Van use to escape from Lucette?
8. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
9. What reason does Van give Marina for leaving?
10. What bad habit does Ana stop on her twelfth birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Van's memoir, the novel deals with memory. It also deals with memory through Van's discussion of time and its meaning. Discuss time and memory in the novel.
1) How is the story of Van and Ada's childhood changed by memory? What significance is there to the fact that the children's diaries were destroyed, forcing them to recreate the events from memory?
2) What role does memory plan in Van and Ada's feelings about each other why they are separated?
3) How does time affect the characters? How does Van's discussion of time relate to the characters' experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel's portrayal of men and women.
1) How are men and women's experience of sexuality different in the novel? How are they treated differently by society?
2) What does success mean for men and women in the novel? How is it different because of gender?
3) What are men and women's intellectual pursuits in the novel? How are they different because of gender?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss siblings, cousins, and their relationships in the novel.
1) What are the relationships between Marina and Aqua? How are they similar to each other? How does Aqua serve as a substitute for Marina? How does this compare to the relationship between Demon and Dan?
2) Discuss the relationship between Lucette and Ada? How are they similar and different, and what does their relationship as sisters have to do with their similarities? How does Lucette serve as a substitute for Ada?
3) Discuss the relationship between Ada and Van as brother and sister. How does their relationship as siblings change their associations? What similarities does it create between them?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)