|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made up the games that Ana describes in Chapter 8?
2. Who is Van's first sexual experience with?
3. What does Van dream of the night after he first has sex with Ada?
4. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
5. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marina describe Jews to her daughter?
2. What causes Lucette to follow Ada and Van around in Chapter 34?
3. How does young Van feel about Ada?
4. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
5. What reason does Van give Marina for leaving?
6. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
7. How doe Van describe Ada's way of talking when explaining something funny?
8. What are the circumstances of Marina's first romantic liaison with Demon?
9. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
10. What happens in Van's stage act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Van has a privileged life. Discuss privilege in the novel.
1) What freedoms does Van's wealth and status allow him? How would his life be different if he weren't wealthy?
2) How is it significant that Van has an independent inheritance from Aqua and is not dependent on Demon for money?
3) What is Van's perception of his position of privilege, and how does this perception change throughout his life, from youth to old age?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How does Van relate to Aqua? How does he relate to Demon? How does he relate to Marina? What does he get from each of these parental figures, and how do they affect him?
2) How does Marina relate to Ada and Lucette? How does she influence them? Compare her influence to the influence of the governess.
3) What influence does Dan have as a parent? How do Lucette and Ada relate to him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss siblings, cousins, and their relationships in the novel.
1) What are the relationships between Marina and Aqua? How are they similar to each other? How does Aqua serve as a substitute for Marina? How does this compare to the relationship between Demon and Dan?
2) Discuss the relationship between Lucette and Ada? How are they similar and different, and what does their relationship as sisters have to do with their similarities? How does Lucette serve as a substitute for Ada?
3) Discuss the relationship between Ada and Van as brother and sister. How does their relationship as siblings change their associations? What similarities does it create between them?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)