|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
2. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
3. Where was Van born?
4. After Van returns from washing his hands, where does he find Ada?
5. What is Ada's hair like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
2. How does Aqua kill herself?
3. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
4. How does Dick cheat at cards, and how does Van best him?
5. What do Demon think of Marina's career as an actress?
6. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
7. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
8. What does Van do, when Ada suggests he spank Lucette?
9. How doe Van describe Ada's way of talking when explaining something funny?
10. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) What role does each of the five parts of the novel play? How does each represent a specific period in the relationship of Ada and Van, and how are those periods different from each other?
2) Why is the first book the longest? Why is the fourth book a single chapter?
3) In what ways is the structure chronological? How and why does it break out of chronological order?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss madness in the novel.
1) What is Aqua's madness in the novel? Why does she go from sanitarium to sanitarium, and why does she kill herself?
2) What types of madness do Van's patients display? Why do mad patients see visions of Terra in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of Ardis Hall in the novel.
1) What meanings and associations does Ardis Hall have for Van and Ada?
2) Why does Van never go back and live at Ardis Hall when he is older? Why does Lucette suggest they go to Ardis Hall?
3) By the end of the novel, Ardis Hall mainly exists in memory for the main characters. How is the memory different from the reality?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)