|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marina have breakfast?
2. What garment of clothing does Van chide Ada for not wearing?
3. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
4. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
5. What does Bout comment is covered in dust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
2. What does Van do, when Ada suggests he spank Lucette?
3. What are the rules of marriage among relatives that Van and Ada discuss?
4. What causes Lucette to follow Ada and Van around in Chapter 34?
5. How does Dick cheat at cards, and how does Van best him?
6. What do Demon think of Marina's career as an actress?
7. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
8. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
9. What did Ada do when Dr. Krolik died?
10. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss sexuality in the novel.
1) How and why is sexuality related to youth in the novel? How does sexuality change with age?
2) How does sexuality relate to love and affection in the novel? What do the characters expect from sex, and what does sex actually provide?
3) What role does sexual decadence, especially represented by the Villa Venus brothels, play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss madness in the novel.
1) What is Aqua's madness in the novel? Why does she go from sanitarium to sanitarium, and why does she kill herself?
2) What types of madness do Van's patients display? Why do mad patients see visions of Terra in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Van and Ada part bitterly after 1888 because of jealousy, and jealousy plays an important role in their relationship. Discuss jealousy in the novel.
1) Why is Van so jealous of Ada's other sexual relationships, when he is also sexually active without her? How is Ada jealous of Van?
2) How is Lucette jealous of Ada? How does her jealousy affect and define her relationships with Van and with Ada?
3) What other jealousies exist in the novel? How do the different characters respond to and think of jealousy?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)