|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Mr. Plunkett exposed at cheating at cards?
(a) His rooms were searched by the police while he was playing in a poker game.
(b) He collapsed with heart problems, and his opponent searched his pockets.
(c) He was stopped by a club owner, held down, and searched.
(d) He was in a game with another card shark who spotted his tricks.
2. What does Ada say about the roses Percy gives her?
(a) She adoes roses.
(b) She hates roses.
(c) She likes roses, but not as much as daisies.
(d) She is allergic to roses.
3. Where does Van hear Ada say "chort" or "devil"?
(a) At the dentist.
(b) At a picnic.
(c) In the library.
(d) At the zoo.
4. What was Van wearing the first time she glimpsed him, before they met?
(a) A white sailor suit and blue cap.
(b) A black formal suit, hat, and gloves.
(c) A gray shirt and shorts.
(d) A bathing suit and green towel.
5. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
(a) Her nose.
(b) Her forehead.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her eyebrows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
2. What causes both Van and Ada to rush back to the house?
3. When writing her husband from sanatoriums, Aqua sometimes used a Russian term meaning what?
4. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
5. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aqua kill herself?
2. What does Van do, when Ada suggests he spank Lucette?
3. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
4. How does Van feel about Marina?
5. What are the circumstances of Marina's first romantic liaison with Demon?
6. What did Ada do when Dr. Krolik died?
7. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
8. What are the rules of marriage among relatives that Van and Ada discuss?
9. What causes Lucette to follow Ada and Van around in Chapter 34?
10. How does Marina describe Jews to her daughter?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)