|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Van act toward Ada in Chapter 32?
(c) Overly affectionate.
2. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
(a) At the islet in Lake Ladore.
(b) At the stables behind Ardis Hall.
(c) At the creek in the woods.
(d) At Maidenhair Road and Tourbiure Lane.
3. What feature of Van's and Ada's is extremely similar?
(a) Their lips.
(b) Their eyes.
(c) Their hands.
(d) Their noses.
4. At the table at Ardis Hall, who does Lucette sit between?
(a) Marina and the governess.
(b) Ada and the governess.
(c) Ada and Van.
(d) Van and Marina.
5. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
(a) Her forehead.
(b) Her eyebrows.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
2. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
3. What wakes Van his first morning at his aunt's home?
4. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
5. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
2. What causes Lucette to follow Ada and Van around in Chapter 34?
3. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
4. What do Demon think of Marina's career as an actress?
5. What happens in Van's stage act?
6. What becomes of Ada's old governess?
7. How does Van first see Ada?
8. How does Dick cheat at cards, and how does Van best him?
9. How does Marina describe Jews to her daughter?
10. What is the first trick Ada and Van use to escape from Lucette?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)