|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ada and Van keep their correspondence secret?
(a) They deliver letters only in person and burn them after reading.
(b) They write letters reversed and read them in mirrors.
(c) They write letters in code.
(d) They write letters in disappearing ink.
2. Does Ada promise to be faithful while Van is gone?
(a) No, she is adamant that she will not.
(b) Yes, she promises but is secretly unsure.
(c) Yes, she promises she will.
(d) No, she's not sure she can.
3. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
(a) A box of mints.
(b) Monogramed handkerchiefs.
(c) A book.
(d) A bracelet.
4. What does Van's father offer to try to buy for him?
(a) A Manhattan apartment.
(b) An airplane.
(c) A car.
(d) Ardis Hall.
5. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Destroy it.
(b) Hide it.
(c) Put it in a museum.
(d) Add more flowers to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marina have breakfast?
2. Who fights by the edge of the brook?
3. What gymnastic trick does Van help Lucette do?
4. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
5. After playing a game, Van tries to get Lucette to go to bed and promises to bring her something. What does he promise to bring her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How doe Van describe Ada's way of talking when explaining something funny?
2. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
3. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
4. How does young Van feel about Ada?
5. What do Demon think of Marina's career as an actress?
6. Describe the encounter between Blanche and Van.
7. How does Van feel about Cordula?
8. What does Marina chastise Van for, after calling him into her room?
9. What are the rules of marriage among relatives that Van and Ada discuss?
10. What becomes of Ada's old governess?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)