|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ana raise?
2. When writing her husband from sanatoriums, Aqua sometimes used a Russian term meaning what?
(a) Rays of hope.
(b) Bursting memories.
(c) Sickening sadness.
(d) Heart rending sounds.
3. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Put it in a museum.
(b) Hide it.
(c) Add more flowers to it.
(d) Destroy it.
4. What does Van dream of the night after he first has sex with Ada?
(a) Being scolded by the governess.
(c) Holding hands with Blanche.
(d) Riding a horse.
5. Where is Van and Ada's first sexual encounter?
(a) In an apple tree.
(b) In a pond.
(c) In Van's room.
(d) In a cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What structure catches fire and wakes nearly everyone in the house?
2. Where does Van hear Ada say "chort" or "devil"?
3. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
4. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
5. Which of the following authors do Van and Ada like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
2. How does Lucette want to draw flowers, when her sister is trying to teach her to draw?
3. Where and in what circumstances do Van and Ada first have sex?
4. What do Demon think of Marina's career as an actress?
5. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
6. How does Dick cheat at cards, and how does Van best him?
7. What causes Lucette to follow Ada and Van around in Chapter 34?
8. How does Van first see Ada?
9. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
10. How does young Van feel about Ada?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)