|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Hide it.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Add more flowers to it.
(d) Put it in a museum.
2. What activity does Marina do out on the lawn?
(a) Has her hair styled.
(b) Sorts her library books.
(c) Cooks breakfast.
(d) Tries on and chooses new shoes.
3. What wakes Van his first morning at his aunt's home?
(b) A bell.
(c) The governess bringing tea.
(d) His aunt shaking him.
4. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
(a) A deck of risque playing cards.
(b) An engraved cigarette case.
(c) A small sculpture of an apple.
(d) A picture of a nude woman.
5. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To distract herself from the awful food.
(b) To impress Van.
(c) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(d) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Demon dye his hair?
2. What stage name does Van perform under?
3. What board game is "Flavita" a Russian version of?
4. What does Ada like to paint pictures of from a book?
5. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
2. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
3. What reason does Van give Marina for leaving?
4. What are the circumstances of Marina's first romantic liaison with Demon?
5. What did Ada do when Dr. Krolik died?
6. What becomes of Ada's old governess?
7. Describe the encounter between Blanche and Van.
8. How does young Van feel about Ada?
9. How does Aqua kill herself?
10. How does Van circumvent the rules about what Ada is supposed to read from the library?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)