Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To impress Van.
(b) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(c) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(d) To distract herself from the awful food.
2. What is the "eremitic reality or collective dream" Van discusses in his dissertation called?
3. What does Dack run through the house with?
(a) Cottonwool soaked with blood.
(b) A bird he has caught in the garden.
(c) A hambone from the kitchen.
(d) Clothes from Van's room.
4. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
(a) A box of mints.
(b) A book.
(c) Monogramed handkerchiefs.
(d) A bracelet.
5. Who walks in on Ada and Van making love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the weather during Demon's dinner with Marina, Van, and Ada?
2. Does Van talk to Ada before he leaves?
3. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
4. What is Ada's hair like?
5. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
2. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
3. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
4. Where and in what circumstances do Van and Ada first have sex?
5. In Marina's last days, why is Van planning a trip to America?
6. How does Van gain the post of Rattner Chair of Philosophy at University of Kingston?
7. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
8. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
9. Describe the encounter between Blanche and Van.
10. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)