|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who walks in on Ada and Van making love?
2. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(b) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(c) To impress Van.
(d) To distract herself from the awful food.
3. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
4. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
(a) At the islet in Lake Ladore.
(b) At the creek in the woods.
(c) At the stables behind Ardis Hall.
(d) At Maidenhair Road and Tourbiure Lane.
5. Who does Van think is the most obvious choice that might have given him the note?
(c) The governess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Van dream of the night after he first has sex with Ada?
2. What happens to the weather during Demon's dinner with Marina, Van, and Ada?
3. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
4. What does Dack run through the house with?
5. In 1888, when Van visits Ardis Hall, what gift does he carry in his pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does young Van feel about Ada?
2. What do Demon think of Marina's career as an actress?
3. What are the rules of marriage among relatives that Van and Ada discuss?
4. What does Ada say lions do when they eat a person?
5. How does Ada act when she tells stories at the table?
6. What is the first trick Ada and Van use to escape from Lucette?
7. What happens in Van's stage act?
8. What does Blanche look like as she is ready to leave?
9. What does Ada have to do before she can go off and meet Van in private in Chapter 20?
10. What causes Lucette to follow Ada and Van around in Chapter 34?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)