|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, Chapters 39-41.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
(a) What she feels about him.
(b) What the third Real Thing is.
(c) What she dreams about at night.
(d) What the difference is between town and country.
2. Who does Van think is the most obvious choice that might have given him the note?
(c) The governess.
3. What wakes Van his first morning at his aunt's home?
(b) The governess bringing tea.
(c) His aunt shaking him.
(d) A bell.
4. What was Van wearing the first time she glimpsed him, before they met?
(a) A bathing suit and green towel.
(b) A white sailor suit and blue cap.
(c) A gray shirt and shorts.
(d) A black formal suit, hat, and gloves.
5. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To distract herself from the awful food.
(b) To impress Van.
(c) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(d) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
2. What gymnastic trick does Van help Lucette do?
3. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
4. Does Ada promise to be faithful while Van is gone?
5. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)