|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, Chapters 39-41.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blanche tell Van?
(a) That Marina is having an affair with Pedro.
(b) That the governess knows of Van and Ada's affair.
(c) That Lucette is planning to run away with him.
(d) That Ada has slept with someone else.
2. In 1888, when Van visits Ardis Hall, what gift does he carry in his pocket?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A monogramed handkerchief.
(c) An engagement ring.
(d) A small, jeweled butterfly.
3. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
(a) The stables where the horses are kept.
(b) A small island in Lake Ladore.
(c) A tumbled down tower in a meadow.
(d) A mushroom cave behind a small wood.
4. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(b) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
(c) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
(d) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
5. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
(a) He is angry at something she said.
(b) His father is ill.
(c) He is eloping with Blanche.
(d) He has left a girlfriend in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did Van win in a match against Pat Rishin at Chose in 1887?
2. What garment of clothing does Van chide Ada for not wearing?
3. After playing a game, Van tries to get Lucette to go to bed and promises to bring her something. What does he promise to bring her?
4. What feature of Van's and Ada's is extremely similar?
5. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)