Book One, Chapters 1-5
1. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
2. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
(b) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
(c) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(d) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
3. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Put it in a museum.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Add more flowers to it.
(d) Hide it.
4. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) April 2.
(b) January 5.
(c) Feburary 12.
(d) March 7.
5. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
(a) A small sculpture of an apple.
(b) A deck of risque playing cards.
(c) A picture of a nude woman.
(d) An engraved cigarette case.
6. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
(a) He spread rumors about Marina.
(b) He was having an affair with Marina.
(c) He spread rumors about Demon.
(d) He cheated Demon in a business deal.
This section contains 4,570 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)