Book One, Chapters 1-5
1. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
2. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
(b) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
(c) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(d) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
3. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Put it in a museum.
(b) Add more flowers to it.
(c) Destroy it.
(d) Hide it.
4. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) March 7.
(b) January 5.
(c) April 2.
(d) Feburary 12.
5. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
(a) A deck of risque playing cards.
(b) An engraved cigarette case.
(c) A small sculpture of an apple.
(d) A picture of a nude woman.
6. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
(a) He was having an affair with Marina.
(b) He cheated Demon in a business deal.
(c) He spread rumors about Marina.
(d) He spread rumors about Demon.
This section contains 4,570 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)