As Van's memoir, the novel deals with memory. It also deals with memory through Van's discussion of time and its meaning. Discuss time and memory in the novel.
1) How is the story of Van and Ada's childhood changed by memory? What significance is there to the fact that the children's diaries were destroyed, forcing them to recreate the events from memory?
2) What role does memory plan in Van and Ada's feelings about each other why they are separated?
3) How does time affect the characters? How does Van's discussion of time relate to the characters' experiences?
Discuss the novel's portrayal of men and women.
1) How are men and women's experience of sexuality different in the novel? How are they treated differently by society?
2) What does success mean for men and women in the novel? How is it different because of gender?
3) What are men and women's intellectual pursuits in...
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)