|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Do people demand a really just system? Well, we'll arrange it so that they'll be satisfied with one that's a little less unjust?"
2. Who does Bertozzo say that he knows, when meeting the Maniac with the reporter?
3. Who tears up the President's portrait?
4. What is the term which refers to the Superintendent's referral to the fact that they're on a stage?
5. What does the Maniac suggest the officer was actually holding in his hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Maniac's costume comprised of in Act 2?
2. What is Bertozzo's reaction to meeting the "Forensics Expert" from Rome?
3. What is the Maniac's reaction to the explanations behind the Anarchist's jump?
4. What does the journalist ask about the police interaction with the bomber? How does the Superintendent reply?
5. How does the Maniac respond to the journalist's questioning? How do the others?
6. What does the outcome presented by the Maniac mean to those involved? What will be their outcome granted the evidence?
7. What "new character" does the Maniac reveal himself to be in Act 2, Scene 1? How do the others react?
8. What does the Maniac re-costume himself as before the reporter arrives? What do the others say?
9. Who does the Maniac quote regarding scandal? What does this quote say?
10. What does the journalist remark regarding the situation with the bomb which Bertozzo relayed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Brechtian elements of the play, particularly that of the Alienation Effect. Where is this technique employed? What effect does it have? Why did Fo choose to use it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Truth and Lies" as a theme in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. How is this theme exemplified in the play? Who is the voice of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Accidental Death of an Anarchist to a play of the Commedia dell'arte style. What similarities exist between the two? What differences? What character might be what stock character from Commedia? Why?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)