|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Maniac tell Sports Jacket is the first rule in interviews?
2. Which character says to the Maniac in Act 2, "Please. Your eminence; I flunked Latin three times!"?
3. How many of those dynamite attacks which have taken place were tied to fascists?
4. The Maniac asks when examining the Anarchist's jump who in the room acted as his what?
5. Who tears up the President's portrait?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the journalist ask about the police interaction with the bomber? How does the Superintendent reply?
2. What "new character" does the Maniac reveal himself to be in Act 2, Scene 1? How do the others react?
3. What does the outcome presented by the Maniac mean to those involved? What will be their outcome granted the evidence?
4. What does Bertozzo do in the climax of the play in Act 2? How does he regain control of the room?
5. What does the journalist remark regarding the situation with the bomb which Bertozzo relayed?
6. What does Bertozzo slip out regarding the bomb to the journalist? What do the others do?
7. What does the Maniac joke about regarding the "laughter" in the interrogation with the Anarchist?
8. How does the Maniac react to the "second version" of the statement about the Anarchist? What question remains?
9. How does the Maniac respond to the Superintendent's excuse about the window? What is the Superintendent's concern in this exchange?
10. How does the Maniac respond to the journalist's questioning? How do the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of the Maniac with that of the police officers. How is he different? What similarities do they have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Scandal, Revolution, and Reform" as a theme in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. How is this theme exemplified in the play? Who argues the opposing points of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Accidental Death of an Anarchist to a play of the Commedia dell'arte style. What similarities exist between the two? What differences? What character might be what stock character from Commedia? Why?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)