|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Maniac wear in disguise when meeting the reporter?
2. What are the Maniac, the Superintendent, and Sports Jacket doing when Act 2 begins?
3. Who says, "All right, all right, don't pull those long faces. Cheer up! I promise that from this moment on I won't poke fun at you anymore. The proceedings will be absolutely serious?"
4. What is discovered about the Maniac when he walks around the desk speaking to the reporter?
5. What does the reporter say that they've got down to the game of in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Maniac re-costume himself as before the reporter arrives? What do the others say?
2. What does Bertozzo slip out regarding the bomb to the journalist? What do the others do?
3. What does the outcome presented by the Maniac mean to those involved? What will be their outcome granted the evidence?
4. What does the journalist suggest regarding the Anarchist's alibi?
5. What information is learned from the phone call during the meeting of the Maniac and the police officers? What reaction does this cause?
6. What is the Maniac's reaction to the explanations behind the Anarchist's jump?
7. How does the Maniac respond to the Superintendent's excuse about the window? What is the Superintendent's concern in this exchange?
8. How does the Maniac respond to the journalist's questioning? How do the others?
9. What does the journalist ask the Superintendent first in her interview?
10. What is implied with the Maniac's joke regarding the "laughter" in the interrogation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Brechtian elements of the play, particularly that of the Alienation Effect. Where is this technique employed? What effect does it have? Why did Fo choose to use it?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of the Maniac with that of the police officers. How is he different? What similarities do they have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Fo's use of Irony in Accidental Death of an Anarchist. What is Irony? How are the three types of Irony employed in the play? Who employs them?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)