|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Maniac begin to do before the phone rings in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Burn the file cabinet.
(b) Call his mother.
(c) Creep out the door.
(d) Jump out the window.
2. In what city does the play take place?
(c) New York.
3. What had the Anarchist been accused of bombing?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A school.
(c) A bank.
(d) A restaurant.
4. Who calls on the phone when the Maniac is alone in the room in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Registrar.
(b) Sports Jacket.
(c) Yellow Blazer.
(d) The Superintendent.
5. What does the Maniac tear up when he returns to the office?
(a) His release papers.
(b) His criminal record.
(c) His prescriptions.
(d) The Anarchist Report.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does the Superintendent say they "set the trick" with the anarchist?
2. What is unique about the actors with whom the Maniac performs?
3. What had the Anarchist been "seized by" leading to his death?
4. Who does the Maniac tell Sports Jacket he once knew who massaged himself in such a way?
5. What does the Maniac do into the phone and pretend it's Bertozzo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Maniac say he "trained" for his work as a psychiatrist?
2. How does the Maniac convince Sports Jacket and the Superintendent to go along with his plan at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? What happens at the end of this act?
3. What do the police records show regarding the Maniac's history? How does he respond to these allegations?
4. What is the Maniac's suggestion to the Superintendent and Sports Jacket, considering their situation of desperation in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. How does the Maniac feel after taking the phone call in Act 1, Scene 1? Why?
6. What is the Superintendent and Sports Jacket's reaction to the Maniac's accusations of harsh interrogation?
7. How does the Maniac "prepare" after his phone call in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. What is described differently in the "second report?"
9. What does the time difference in the "raptus" versus the suicide seem to indicate to the Maniac?
10. What does the Maniac do when the Constable comes into the office in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)