|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is there a marked difference between in Chapter 22?
2. What does Marcus tell Ellie in Chapter 21?
3. What does Marcus argue with his mother about in Chapter 17?
4. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
5. What does Megan try to do with her Christmas gift from Marcus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
2. What does Will tell Marcus in Chapter 20 when Marcus tells Will about his run-in with Ellie?
3. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
4. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
5. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
6. Who is Rachel?
7. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
8. Why does Will feel hesitant about helping Fiona in Chapter 30?
9. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
10. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)