|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie confess to Marcus in Chapter 25?
2. Why is Marcus forced to tell his mother about his visits to Will's in Chapter 17?
3. Where does Marcus refuse to go in Chapter 31?
4. Besides Fiona, who does Will expect to meet in Chapter 32?
5. What does Ellie do to the bully who steals from Marcus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "About a Boy". Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hornby's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)