|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus ask Will about in Chapter 20?
2. What does Will decide about Christmas in Chapter 18?
3. Why is Will unhappy in Chapter 18?
4. Why is Will driving around in Chapter 20?
5. When does Will fall in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
2. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
3. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
4. Why does Will feel hesitant about helping Fiona in Chapter 30?
5. Who is Rachel?
6. How does Marcus defend his visits to Will's house in Chapter 17?
7. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
8. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
9. Why does Fiona suggest that Marcus visit his father? What makes Marcus agree to go?
10. Who argues in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze symbolism in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of symbolism??
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)