|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Clive?
2. What does Will not know about life?
3. Why is Will unhappy in Chapter 18?
4. When does Will fall in love?
5. What does Marcus do at the end of Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
2. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
3. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
4. How does Marcus defend his visits to Will's house in Chapter 17?
5. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
6. What disappoints Marcus in Chapter 29?
7. What do Will and Fiona discuss in Chapter 32?
8. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
9. Why does Fiona suggest that Marcus visit his father? What makes Marcus agree to go?
10. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the fear felt by the main characters of the novel, particularly with the protagonists. What is Marcus afraid of? What is Will afraid of?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might either Will's or Marcus' life have been different if they had not lived in London during this time?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)