|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marcus refuse to go in Chapter 31?
2. Why is Marcus forced to tell his mother about his visits to Will's in Chapter 17?
3. How does Marcus scare Ellie off in Chapter 25?
4. Who is Clive?
5. What do Ellie and Marcus see Ellie's mother doing in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
2. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
3. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
4. Who is Rachel?
5. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
6. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
7. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
8. Who argues in Chapter 23?
9. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
10. What does Will tell Marcus in Chapter 20 when Marcus tells Will about his run-in with Ellie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marcus' relationships with his parents. Does he have good relationships with them? Why or why not? How do his relationships with his parents evolve as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel "About a Boy", particularly between Will and Rachel and Marcus and Ellie.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)