|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Will find Marcus at the beginning of Chapter 27?
2. What does Ellie think of her mother's behavior in Chapter 25?
3. Who is Marcus forced to visit with in Chapter 19?
4. What does Will tell Rachel in Chapter 28?
5. Who does Will see when he is driving around in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
2. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
3. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
4. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
5. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
6. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
7. Who argues in Chapter 23?
8. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
9. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
10. What does Will tell Marcus in Chapter 20 when Marcus tells Will about his run-in with Ellie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might either Will's or Marcus' life have been different if they had not lived in London during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)