|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will tell Marcus about what Ellie told him in Chapter 20?
2. Where does Marcus refuse to go in Chapter 31?
3. What makes Ellie and Zoe laugh in Chapter 21?
4. Why is Will driving around in Chapter 20?
5. What does Will promise he will do for Marcus in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fiona suggest that Marcus visit his father? What makes Marcus agree to go?
2. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
3. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
4. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
5. Who argues in Chapter 23?
6. Who is Rachel?
7. What lie does Will tell Rachel?
8. What disappoints Marcus in Chapter 29?
9. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
10. Why does Will feel hesitant about helping Fiona in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss depression and suicide as depicted in the novel "About a Boy". Why does Fiona attempt suicide? How does her depression and attempted suicide impact Marcus? How is Kurt Cobain's suicide and depression depicted in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel "About a Boy", particularly between Will and Rachel and Marcus and Ellie.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the fear felt by the main characters of the novel, particularly with the protagonists. What is Marcus afraid of? What is Will afraid of?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)