|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie confess to Marcus in Chapter 25?
2. What does Marcus argue with his mother about in Chapter 17?
3. Who is Clive?
4. What does Fiona file a complaint about at Marcus' school in Chapter 19?
5. What does Ellie do to the bully who steals from Marcus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
2. Who argues in Chapter 23?
3. Why does Fiona suggest that Marcus visit his father? What makes Marcus agree to go?
4. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
5. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
6. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
7. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
8. What disappoints Marcus in Chapter 29?
9. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
10. Who is Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the fear felt by the main characters of the novel, particularly with the protagonists. What is Marcus afraid of? What is Will afraid of?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "About a Boy". Describe both Marcus' and Will's family. Is family important to Marcus? What does Marcus realize about family by the end of the novel? Why is this realization important for his character?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)