|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ellie offer to go with Marcus in Chapter 31?
2. Why is Marcus forced to tell his mother about his visits to Will's in Chapter 17?
3. When does Will fall in love?
4. Why is the Christmas dinner a disaster?
5. What does Will wonder at the end of Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappoints Marcus in Chapter 29?
2. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
3. What do Will and Fiona discuss in Chapter 32?
4. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
5. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
6. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
7. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
8. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
9. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
10. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Hornby's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will's fear of commitment. Why does he fear commitment? How does this fear of commitment impact his life?? What or who leads him to consider commitment by the end of the novel?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)