|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ellie and Zoe take Marcus in Chapter 21?
2. What does Fiona tell Marcus about his father in Chapter 31?
3. Who is Ellie?
4. Why is Will concerned for Marcus in Chapter 32?
5. What happens between Will and Rachel that he doesn't expect in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Fiona discuss in Chapter 32?
2. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
3. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
4. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
5. Why does Will feel hesitant about helping Fiona in Chapter 30?
6. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
7. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
8. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
9. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
10. What does Will confess to Rachel in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might either Will's or Marcus' life have been different if they had not lived in London during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Hornby's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)