|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Megan try to do with her Christmas gift from Marcus?
2. What does Fiona tell Marcus about his father in Chapter 31?
3. Besides Fiona, who does Will expect to meet in Chapter 32?
4. What does Fiona tell Will in Chapter 17?
5. How does Marcus scare Ellie off in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
2. Who is Rachel?
3. How does Marcus defend his visits to Will's house in Chapter 17?
4. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
5. Why does Will feel hesitant about helping Fiona in Chapter 30?
6. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
7. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
8. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
9. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
10. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will's fear of commitment. Why does he fear commitment? How does this fear of commitment impact his life?? What or who leads him to consider commitment by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "About a Boy". Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 3
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)