|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Will concerned for Marcus in Chapter 32?
2. Where does Ellie offer to go with Marcus in Chapter 31?
3. Who does Will fall in love with?
4. Who is Lindsey?
5. Why does Marcus walk out of school in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
2. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
3. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
4. What disappoints Marcus in Chapter 29?
5. Why does Fiona suggest that Marcus visit his father? What makes Marcus agree to go?
6. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
7. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
8. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
9. What does Will confess to Rachel in Chapter 28?
10. Who argues in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze symbolism in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of symbolism??
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hornby's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)