|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ellie?
2. Who does Will see when he is driving around in Chapter 20?
3. What does Fiona conclude of Will when they go out for a drink in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
5. What does Marcus ask Will about in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
2. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
3. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
4. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
5. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
6. What does Will confess to Rachel in Chapter 28?
7. What disappoints Marcus in Chapter 29?
8. What deal do Marcus and Will make in Chapter 26?
9. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
10. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze symbolism in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of symbolism??
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)