|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fiona ask Will to do in Chapter 18 when she calls him?
2. Why does Will feel guilty in Chapter 30?
3. How does Marcus scare Ellie off in Chapter 25?
4. Why is Marcus forced to tell his mother about his visits to Will's in Chapter 17?
5. During Will's and Fiona's meal in Chapter 32, what does Will realize is the only thing Fiona needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcus defend his visits to Will's house in Chapter 17?
2. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
3. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
4. What disappoints Marcus in Chapter 29?
5. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
6. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
7. What do Will and Fiona discuss in Chapter 32?
8. Why does Fiona suggest that Marcus visit his father? What makes Marcus agree to go?
9. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
10. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss depression and suicide as depicted in the novel "About a Boy". Why does Fiona attempt suicide? How does her depression and attempted suicide impact Marcus? How is Kurt Cobain's suicide and depression depicted in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might either Will's or Marcus' life have been different if they had not lived in London during this time?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)