|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie confess to Marcus in Chapter 25?
2. Who is Megan?
3. Why is Marcus forced to tell his mother about his visits to Will's in Chapter 17?
4. What does Marcus argue with his mother about in Chapter 17?
5. Why is the Christmas dinner a disaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
2. What does Will confess to Rachel in Chapter 28?
3. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
4. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
5. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
6. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
7. Why does Will feel hesitant about helping Fiona in Chapter 30?
8. What does the reader learn about Ellie's mother in Chapter 25?
9. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
10. What does Will tell Marcus in Chapter 20 when Marcus tells Will about his run-in with Ellie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Will's fear of commitment. Why does he fear commitment? How does this fear of commitment impact his life?? What or who leads him to consider commitment by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)