|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fiona ask Will to do in Chapter 18 when she calls him?
2. What happens between Will and Rachel that he doesn't expect in Chapter 30?
3. Who is Ali?
4. Why does Marcus wait outside the news agent's in Chapter 27?
5. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
2. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
3. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
4. Who is Rachel?
5. Who argues in Chapter 23?
6. Why does Fiona suggest that Marcus visit his father? What makes Marcus agree to go?
7. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
8. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
9. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
10. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Marcus throughout the novel. How does he deal with these obstacles and how does he overcome them? What causes these problems for him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "About a Boy". Describe both Marcus' and Will's family. Is family important to Marcus? What does Marcus realize about family by the end of the novel? Why is this realization important for his character?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze symbolism in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of symbolism??
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)