|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ellie and Zoe laugh in Chapter 21?
2. What creates tension between Fiona and Lindsey in Chapter 23?
3. What does Marcus tell Ellie in Chapter 21?
4. What does Ellie confess to Marcus in Chapter 25?
5. What does Will not know about life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will confess to Rachel in Chapter 28?
2. What lie does Will tell Rachel?
3. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
4. How does Marcus defend his visits to Will's house in Chapter 17?
5. How do Ellie and Zoe react in Chapter 21 when Marcus tells them that he knows Ellie was lying to him before?
6. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
7. What do Will and Fiona discuss in Chapter 32?
8. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
9. What do Ellie and Marcus talk about at the party in Chapter 25?
10. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze symbolism in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of symbolism??
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the protagonists? What are their roles in the novel?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)