|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will decide about Christmas in Chapter 18?
2. During Will's and Fiona's meal in Chapter 32, what does Will realize is the only thing Fiona needs?
3. Where do Will and Fiona go to eat in Chapter 32?
4. What does Will tell Rachel in Chapter 28?
5. Why does Marcus walk out of school in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
2. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
3. What do Will and Fiona discuss in Chapter 32?
4. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
5. What does Will confess to Rachel in Chapter 28?
6. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
7. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
8. What lie does Will tell Rachel?
9. What shocks Marcus' classmates in Chapter 21?
10. Why does Marcus try to keep Ellie from reading the papers in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "About a Boy". Describe both Marcus' and Will's family. Is family important to Marcus? What does Marcus realize about family by the end of the novel? Why is this realization important for his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss depression and suicide as depicted in the novel "About a Boy". Why does Fiona attempt suicide? How does her depression and attempted suicide impact Marcus? How is Kurt Cobain's suicide and depression depicted in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)