|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marcus having trouble at school in Chapter 3?
2. What does Marcus find at his house in Chapter 11?
3. What is Will bored of in Chapter 12?
4. What does Will ask Suzie in Chapter 12?
5. Why does the English teacher sometimes call Marcus crazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Will tell at the SPAT meeting?
2. How does Will come to the realization that single mothers are the perfect companions for men with commitment issues?
3. What lie does Will tell in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Marcus blame his mother and teachers for the bullying he faces at school?
6. What does Will find himself looking forward to?
7. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
8. Why is Marcus bullied and how does he handle the bullying?
9. Who is Angie?
10. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marcus' relationships with his parents. Does he have good relationships with them? Why or why not? How do his relationships with his parents evolve as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "About a Boy". Describe both Marcus' and Will's family. Is family important to Marcus? What does Marcus realize about family by the end of the novel? Why is this realization important for his character?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)