|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "About a Boy"?
2. Where does Marcus spend the night in Chapter 10?
3. What does Marcus find at his house in Chapter 11?
4. Where should Fiona have been instead of at home in Chapter 7?
5. What does Will decide when he visits an old friend in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will become involved again with Marcus in Chapter 12?
2. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
3. What does Will think of marriage and children?
4. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
5. How does Marcus find his mother when he returns home in Chapter 7? What does she tell him?
6. From whose perspective is the novel "About a Boy" told from?
7. What does Marcus conclude about his family in Chapter 11?
8. What happens to a duck at the SPAT picnic? How does Will cover up for Marcus because of the duck?
9. Describe Will's night at Fiona's and Marcus' home in Chapter 14.
10. Who is Angie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the author of the novel? What are some other works he has written? Describe his writing style.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "About a Boy". Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)