|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will suggest of Marcus' intent with the duck in Chapter 9?
2. What does Will make up a story about in Chapter 8?
3. What do Will, Suzie and Marcus wait for in Chapter 10?
4. What does a group of older kids throw at Marcus in Chapter 16?
5. Where does Will accompany Suzie and Marcus in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcus find his mother when he returns home in Chapter 7? What does she tell him?
2. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
3. What frightens Marcus is Chapter 5?
4. What do Marcus, Suzie and Will discover at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What does Will almost wish at the SPAT meeting? Why does he almost wish this?
6. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
7. Who is Angie?
8. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
9. What does Will find himself looking forward to?
10. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss depression and suicide as depicted in the novel "About a Boy". Why does Fiona attempt suicide? How does her depression and attempted suicide impact Marcus? How is Kurt Cobain's suicide and depression depicted in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Will's fear of commitment. Why does he fear commitment? How does this fear of commitment impact his life?? What or who leads him to consider commitment by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)