|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marcus try to avoid bullies in Chapter 3?
2. Who are the two protagonists of the novel "About a Boy"?
3. What is Will unsuccessful at doing in Chapter 10?
4. Why aren't the bullies successful in getting Marcus in trouble in Chapter 7?
5. What does Marcus not have a solution for in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will come to the realization that single mothers are the perfect companions for men with commitment issues?
2. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
3. What happens after Will ignores Fiona's message in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
5. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
6. What do Marcus, Suzie and Will discover at the end of Chapter 9?
7. What happens to Marcus' mother in Chapter 1? How does this affect Marcus and how does he try to make his mother feel better?
8. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
9. What does Marcus find at home in Chapter 11?
10. How does Marcus find his mother when he returns home in Chapter 7? What does she tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze symbolism in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of symbolism??
Essay Topic 2
Who is the author of the novel? What are some other works he has written? Describe his writing style.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "About a Boy". Describe both Marcus' and Will's family. Is family important to Marcus? What does Marcus realize about family by the end of the novel? Why is this realization important for his character?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)