|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus try to force Will and Fiona to do over lunch in Chapter 13?
2. What does Will find himself looking forward to in Chapter 16?
3. What lie does Will tell the park keeper in Chapter 9?
4. What does Marcus begin to imagine during lunch in Chapter 13?
5. What is Will's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Marcus' mother in Chapter 1? How does this affect Marcus and how does he try to make his mother feel better?
2. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
3. Why does Will buy Marcus shoes?
4. What happens after Will ignores Fiona's message in Chapter 14?
5. How is Will feeling about his life in Chapter 12?
6. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
7. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
8. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
9. Why is Marcus bullied and how does he handle the bullying?
10. What does Will think of marriage and children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "About a Boy". Describe both Marcus' and Will's family. Is family important to Marcus? What does Marcus realize about family by the end of the novel? Why is this realization important for his character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might either Will's or Marcus' life have been different if they had not lived in London during this time?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)