|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Will almost wish he weren't a man in Chapter 6?
2. What does Will decide when he visits an old friend in Chapter 2?
3. What surprises Will when he tries to break it off with the woman in Chapter 4?
4. What does Suzie pick up Will for in Chapter 8?
5. What does Marcus find at his house in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Will introduced to in Chapter 8? What is Will's first impression of this person?
2. How does Will become involved again with Marcus in Chapter 12?
3. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
4. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
5. What happens after Will ignores Fiona's message in Chapter 14?
6. What frightens Marcus is Chapter 5?
7. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
8. From whose perspective is the novel "About a Boy" told from?
9. What does Will think of marriage and children?
10. Why does Will buy Marcus shoes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the author of the novel? What are some other works he has written? Describe his writing style.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marcus' relationships with his parents. Does he have good relationships with them? Why or why not? How do his relationships with his parents evolve as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)