|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will prefer not to do when it comes to women?
2. Who does Will date in Chapter 4?
3. What does Will's date tell him on their first date?
4. How long does Will date this woman in Chapter 4?
5. What kind of film do Marcus and his mother begin to watch in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
2. What happens to Marcus at the news agent's store in Chapter 7?
3. How does Will become involved again with Marcus in Chapter 12?
4. Who is Will introduced to in Chapter 8? What is Will's first impression of this person?
5. Describe Will's night at Fiona's and Marcus' home in Chapter 14.
6. Why does Will buy Marcus shoes?
7. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
8. Describe Will's lunch with Marcus and Fiona in Chapter 13.
9. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
10. What does Will think of marriage and children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marcus' relationships with his parents. Does he have good relationships with them? Why or why not? How do his relationships with his parents evolve as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)