|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Suzie insist on doing in Chapter 9?
2. Who does Will date in Chapter 4?
3. Who is Roger?
4. What does Marcus manage to do in Chapter 15?
5. Where does Marcus want Will to take him and Fiona in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
2. What does Will tell Marcus in Chapter 20 when Marcus tells Will about his run-in with Ellie?
3. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
4. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
5. What does Marcus conclude about his family in Chapter 11?
6. What lie does Will tell in Chapter 8?
7. What shocks Ellie in Chapter 34?
8. What does Marcus find at home in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Marcus run out of the house in Chapter 26?
10. Who argues in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might either Will's or Marcus' life have been different if they had not lived in London during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)