Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Will become interested in in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Marcus take Will and Suzie at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. Who is Roger?
4. What does Marcus find at his house in Chapter 11?
5. How does Marcus try to avoid bullies in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
2. What is Fiona concerned about in Chapter 36? How does Will make her feel better?
3. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
4. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
5. How does Will come to the realization that single mothers are the perfect companions for men with commitment issues?
6. What lie does Will tell in Chapter 8?
7. Describe Will's lunch with Marcus and Fiona in Chapter 13.
8. What happens to a duck at the SPAT picnic? How does Will cover up for Marcus because of the duck?
9. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
10. How does Marcus defend his visits to Will's house in Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marcus' relationships with his parents. Does he have good relationships with them? Why or why not? How do his relationships with his parents evolve as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)