|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marcus take Will and Suzie at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What does Suzie pick up Will for in Chapter 8?
3. What does Marcus accuse Will of in Chapter 14?
4. After many visits from Marcus, what does Will stop doing?
5. What does Will do when Fiona calls him again in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus blame his mother and teachers for the bullying he faces at school?
2. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
3. What frightens Marcus is Chapter 5?
4. What does Marcus conclude about his family in Chapter 11?
5. What happens to Marcus at the news agent's store in Chapter 7?
6. Who is Will introduced to in Chapter 8? What is Will's first impression of this person?
7. What does Will almost wish at the SPAT meeting? Why does he almost wish this?
8. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
9. From whose perspective is the novel "About a Boy" told from?
10. How does Will come to the realization that single mothers are the perfect companions for men with commitment issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the fear felt by the main characters of the novel, particularly with the protagonists. What is Marcus afraid of? What is Will afraid of?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the author of the novel? What are some other works he has written? Describe his writing style.
Essay Topic 3
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)