|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should Fiona have been instead of at home in Chapter 7?
2. What does Marcus manage to do in Chapter 15?
3. Where did Marcus live before his most recent move?
4. Who are the two protagonists of the novel "About a Boy"?
5. What lie does Will tell the park keeper in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Will's lunch with Marcus and Fiona in Chapter 13.
2. How does Will become involved again with Marcus in Chapter 12?
3. What lie does Will tell at the SPAT meeting?
4. How is Will feeling about his life in Chapter 12?
5. What frightens Marcus is Chapter 5?
6. What do Marcus, Suzie and Will discover at the end of Chapter 9?
7. What happens to Marcus' mother in Chapter 1? How does this affect Marcus and how does he try to make his mother feel better?
8. Who is Will introduced to in Chapter 8? What is Will's first impression of this person?
9. Describe Will's night at Fiona's and Marcus' home in Chapter 14.
10. Why is Marcus bullied and how does he handle the bullying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the author of the novel? What are some other works he has written? Describe his writing style.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)