|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will suggest of Marcus' intent with the duck in Chapter 9?
2. What does Will ask Suzie in Chapter 12?
3. Who is Roger?
4. What does Marcus accuse Will of in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Will almost wish he weren't a man in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
2. Who is Angie?
3. What lie does Will tell at the SPAT meeting?
4. What do Marcus, Suzie and Will discover at the end of Chapter 9?
5. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
6. What lie does Will tell in Chapter 8?
7. What frightens Marcus is Chapter 5?
8. From whose perspective is the novel "About a Boy" told from?
9. What does Will almost wish at the SPAT meeting? Why does he almost wish this?
10. What happens to Marcus at the news agent's store in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Hornby's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the fear felt by the main characters of the novel, particularly with the protagonists. What is Marcus afraid of? What is Will afraid of?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)