|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ned?
2. Why do the students ask Marcus not to hang out with them in Chapter 5?
3. What does Will's date tell him on their first date?
4. What does Marcus believe he has done at the end of Chapter 8?
5. What has Marcus hit a duck with at the SPAT picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
2. What does Marcus conclude about his family in Chapter 11?
3. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
4. How is Will feeling about his life in Chapter 12?
5. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
6. What is Fiona concerned about in Chapter 36? How does Will make her feel better?
7. Describe Will's night at Fiona's and Marcus' home in Chapter 14.
8. How does Will become involved again with Marcus in Chapter 12?
9. How does Will come to the realization that single mothers are the perfect companions for men with commitment issues?
10. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze symbolism in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of symbolism??
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Marcus throughout the novel. How does he deal with these obstacles and how does he overcome them? What causes these problems for him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)