|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will's date tell him on their first date?
2. What does Marcus try to force Will and Fiona to do over lunch in Chapter 13?
3. What kind of test is Will taking in Chapter 2?
4. What does Marcus accuse Will of in Chapter 14?
5. What is Marcus frightened by in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will buy Marcus shoes?
2. What happens after Will ignores Fiona's message in Chapter 14?
3. Why is Marcus bullied and how does he handle the bullying?
4. What lie does Will tell in Chapter 8?
5. What do Marcus, Suzie and Will discover at the end of Chapter 9?
6. How does Marcus find his mother when he returns home in Chapter 7? What does she tell him?
7. What happens to Marcus' mother in Chapter 1? How does this affect Marcus and how does he try to make his mother feel better?
8. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
9. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
10. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the fear felt by the main characters of the novel, particularly with the protagonists. What is Marcus afraid of? What is Will afraid of?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel "About a Boy", particularly between Will and Rachel and Marcus and Ellie.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)