|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marcus try to hang out with at school in Chapter 5?
2. How does Will get by if he doesn't work?
3. Who does Will become interested in in Chapter 6?
4. What does Will find unappetizing in Chapter 14?
5. What does a group of older kids throw at Marcus in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
2. What happens after Will ignores Fiona's message in Chapter 14?
3. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
4. What happens to a duck at the SPAT picnic? How does Will cover up for Marcus because of the duck?
5. Why does Will buy Marcus shoes?
6. What does Marcus find at home in Chapter 11?
7. How does Marcus find his mother when he returns home in Chapter 7? What does she tell him?
8. Why does Marcus blame his mother and teachers for the bullying he faces at school?
9. From whose perspective is the novel "About a Boy" told from?
10. How is Will feeling about his life in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the protagonists? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Marcus struggles with bullying throughout the novel. Why might he be an easy target for bullies? What does Marcus do to try and avoid the bullies? Who does he blame for the bullying? What do the authority figures in his life do to help him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel "About a Boy", particularly between Will and Rachel and Marcus and Ellie.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)