|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will have trouble doing in Chapter 6?
2. Who is the author of "About a Boy"?
3. Why does Marcus turn off the film in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Will accompany Suzie and Marcus in Chapter 10?
5. Instead of being able to cheer his mother up in Chapter 1, what is Marcus only able to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ellie? What do Ellie and Marcus talk about in Chapter 19?
2. What does Ellie do when she disembarks at Royston?
3. Describe the Christmas dinner in Chapter 22.
4. What does Will find himself looking forward to?
5. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
6. What makes Will unhappy enough to skip Christmas in Chapter 18?
7. What does Marcus realize about Ellie in Chapter 32?
8. How does Fiona react when she finds out about Marcus' visits to Will's house?
9. How does Will feel about the drama at the hospital and being there for it?
10. Why is Marcus bullied and how does he handle the bullying?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel "About a Boy", particularly between Will and Rachel and Marcus and Ellie.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Hornby's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marcus' relationships with his parents. Does he have good relationships with them? Why or why not? How do his relationships with his parents evolve as the novel progresses?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)