|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Will accompany Suzie and Marcus in Chapter 10?
2. How does Marcus try to avoid bullies in Chapter 3?
3. What do Suzie and Marcus discover when they walk inside Marcus' home in Chapter 9?
4. What does Will do when he sees the older kids going after Marcus in Chapter 16?
5. What is Will's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus blame his mother and teachers for the bullying he faces at school?
2. Describe Will's lunch with Marcus and Fiona in Chapter 13.
3. Who is Angie?
4. What lie does Will tell in Chapter 8?
5. What happens when Marcus tries to hang out with some boys in Chapter 5?
6. What does Will find himself looking forward to?
7. Describe Will's night at Fiona's and Marcus' home in Chapter 14.
8. What does Will think of marriage and children?
9. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
10. What does Marcus find at home in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hornby's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Hornby use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel "About a Boy", particularly between Will and Rachel and Marcus and Ellie.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Marcus. What are his defining character traits? What is most important to him and why? What important events take place during his life in the novel? How does he grow as a character as the novel progresses?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)