|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Will become interested in in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Marcus take Will and Suzie at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. Who is Roger?
4. What does Marcus find at his house in Chapter 11?
5. How does Marcus try to avoid bullies in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Fiona discuss over a drink in Chapter 18?
2. What is Fiona concerned about in Chapter 36? How does Will make her feel better?
3. What happens outside a news agent in Chapter 27?
4. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
5. How does Will come to the realization that single mothers are the perfect companions for men with commitment issues?
6. What lie does Will tell in Chapter 8?
7. Describe Will's lunch with Marcus and Fiona in Chapter 13.
8. What happens to a duck at the SPAT picnic? How does Will cover up for Marcus because of the duck?
9. Why does Marcus become angry at Ellie in Chapter 29?
10. How does Marcus defend his visits to Will's house in Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss depression and suicide as depicted in the novel "About a Boy". Why does Fiona attempt suicide? How does her depression and attempted suicide impact Marcus? How is Kurt Cobain's suicide and depression depicted in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marcus' relationships with his parents. Does he have good relationships with them? Why or why not? How do his relationships with his parents evolve as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will's fear of commitment. Why does he fear commitment? How does this fear of commitment impact his life?? What or who leads him to consider commitment by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)