|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will have trouble doing in Chapter 6?
2. What does Will prefer not to do when it comes to women?
3. Why does Will almost wish he weren't a man in Chapter 6?
4. Who is Ned?
5. Why does Marcus partly blame his mother for the trouble he faces at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Marcus, Suzie and Will discover at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What does Will almost wish at the SPAT meeting? Why does he almost wish this?
3. Why does Will buy Marcus shoes?
4. Why does Marcus try to turn off the film in Chapter 11?
5. Why is Marcus bullied and how does he handle the bullying?
6. What does Will find himself looking forward to?
7. Who is Will introduced to in Chapter 8? What is Will's first impression of this person?
8. What does Marcus find at home in Chapter 11?
9. What lie does Will tell at the SPAT meeting?
10. How do Marcus and Will become closer in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of humor in the novel "About a Boy". What are some examples of humor used in the novel? What types of humor does Hornby use? Why might he use humor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss depression and suicide as depicted in the novel "About a Boy". Why does Fiona attempt suicide? How does her depression and attempted suicide impact Marcus? How is Kurt Cobain's suicide and depression depicted in the novel?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)