|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will dislike?
2. What does Will buy at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What does Marcus accuse Will of in Chapter 14?
4. What does Will suggest when Marcus tells him about his troubles at school?
5. How long does Will date this woman in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will almost wish at the SPAT meeting? Why does he almost wish this?
2. What does Marcus conclude about his family in Chapter 11?
3. What happens to Marcus' mother in Chapter 1? How does this affect Marcus and how does he try to make his mother feel better?
4. Why does Marcus blame his mother and teachers for the bullying he faces at school?
5. What does Will find himself looking forward to?
6. What does Will think of marriage and children?
7. What does Marcus find at home in Chapter 11?
8. Describe Will as depicted in Chapter 2.
9. What lie does Will tell at the SPAT meeting?
10. How does Marcus find his mother when he returns home in Chapter 7? What does she tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Will. Who is Will and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the other protagonist, Marcus? Is he a good friend? How does he grow as a character by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "About a Boy". Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Marcus and Will. Why do they become friends? Why do they like spending time with each other? How do they help each other? How do they help one another grow?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)