|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Fiona and Marcus do that Will has no interest in in Chapter 14?
2. What is Will unsuccessful at doing in Chapter 10?
3. What does Will make up a story about in Chapter 8?
4. What does Suzie pick up Will for in Chapter 8?
5. What is Will's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will buy Marcus shoes?
2. What lie does Will tell at the SPAT meeting?
3. What does Marcus find at home in Chapter 11?
4. How does Marcus find his mother when he returns home in Chapter 7? What does she tell him?
5. What does Will think of marriage and children?
6. What happens to a duck at the SPAT picnic? How does Will cover up for Marcus because of the duck?
7. From whose perspective is the novel "About a Boy" told from?
8. What does Marcus conclude about his family in Chapter 11?
9. Describe Will's night at Fiona's and Marcus' home in Chapter 14.
10. Why does Marcus blame his mother and teachers for the bullying he faces at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Hornby's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might either Will's or Marcus' life have been different if they had not lived in London during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss depression and suicide as depicted in the novel "About a Boy". Why does Fiona attempt suicide? How does her depression and attempted suicide impact Marcus? How is Kurt Cobain's suicide and depression depicted in the novel?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)