|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Will suggest when Marcus tells him about his troubles at school?
(a) He suggests writing a letter to the administration.
(b) He suggests ignoring his bullies.
(c) He suggests changing his appearance.
(d) He suggests telling the principal.
2. Who is the author of "About a Boy"?
(a) David Sedaris.
(b) John Grisham.
(c) Douglas Coupland.
(d) Nick Hornby.
3. What does Fiona say is the reason that she has arranged for Marcus to go out on Saturday?
(a) So that she can sleep soundly.
(b) So that she might have some time to herself.
(c) So that she can have a gentleman caller over.
(d) So that Marcus can make friends.
4. Where has Fiona arranged for Marcus to go on Saturday in Chapter 7?
(a) To the shop to run errands.
(b) On a picnic with Suzie.
(c) To Will's house.
(d) A pottery class.
5. What kind of film do Marcus and his mother begin to watch in Chapter 11?
(a) A comedy.
(b) A mystery.
(c) An action-adventure.
(d) A family drama.
6. What does Marcus believe he has done at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Killed a duck.
(b) Made a friend.
(c) Lost three pounds.
(d) Stepped in gum.
7. Where does Marcus run into bullies in Chapter 7?
(a) In a graveyard.
(b) At Church.
(c) The local news agent's store.
(d) Outside his house.
8. What does Will prefer not to do when it comes to women?
(a) Tie himself down to just one.
(b) Lie to them.
(c) Treat them casually.
(d) Spend longer than one evening with one woman.
9. What does Suzie insist on doing in Chapter 9?
(a) Making Fiona some lunch.
(b) Walking Marcus into his house when she drops him off.
(c) Checking to see that Marcus has done his homework.
(d) Inviting Fiona to brunch the following day.
10. Where do Marcus and Fiona live?
11. Why do the students ask Marcus not to hang out with them in Chapter 5?
(a) He is mean to them.
(b) He has a strange odor.
(c) They already have too many friends.
(d) They are being teased because Marcus is around.
12. What lie does Will tell the park keeper in Chapter 9?
(a) the duck attack was a hit and run.
(b) The duck was attacking Will.
(c) Will thew the object at the duck.
(d) Marcus was trying to keep Suzie's daughter from seeing the dead duck.
13. Why aren't the bullies successful in getting Marcus in trouble in Chapter 7?
(a) A passerbyer stops them.
(b) The man at the counter knows Marcus.
(c) Marcus is a fast runner.
(d) Marcus throws dirt in their faces.
14. Where did Marcus live before his most recent move?
15. Why does Will never get any job offers?
(a) He has bad work references.
(b) He is always late for interviews.
(c) He has no job history.
(d) He only applies for jobs he is unqualified for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will buy at the end of Chapter 12?
2. Why does Marcus partly blame his mother for the trouble he faces at school?
3. Who does Marcus try to hang out with at school in Chapter 5?
4. What does Will buy for Marcus in Chapter 16?
5. What does Marcus begin to imagine during lunch in Chapter 13?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)