|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sea is the island located
2. Which Master finally agrees to teach Ged the Higher Arts?
3. Who is the master of the wizard school?
4. Where does the new Archmage come from?
5. What happens when Ged says the spell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Ged opts to take a position in Gorning?
2. How do you think the Archmage's death changes Ged?
3. Do you think Ogion understands Ged's needs?
4. Is it significant that the shadow appears immediately after Ged has tried to help the dying child?
5. Why do you think Jasper and Ged become such enemies?
6. What does Le Guin show about Ged's character when he is looking for the school?
7. Why is it significant that Vetch tells Ged his real name?
8. Describe Duny's life on Gont?
9. What do you think the shadow represents to Ged?
10. Do you think Duny's Aunt initially sets out to use him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wizard of Earthsea is set in a world that is similar to the Middle Ages. Like the Middle Ages, wizard and dragons are an important part of society and people believe in their powers.
1) Why do you think Le Guin has chosen to recreate a world reminiscent of the Middle Ages? Is this typical of fantasy fiction?
2) Discuss how different the novel would be if it was set in contemporary times. What problems would there be with suspension of belief? How could the writer get over these problems?
Essay Topic 2
The Wizard of Earthsea is part of a series of novels about the Earthsea world. Knowing what you know about the fantasy genre and this book discuss what you think the other novels will be about. What themes will Le Guin use? Will she use any characters from this book? Will she develop any of the characters from this book?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think would have happened to Ged if the shadow had defeated him? Does Le Guin hint at what this alternative life would be like?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)